ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Ingel_Riday
    Original poster 31 posts

I wanted to throw out some positive vibes after realizing I’ve been a snide cynic online a bit too often in the past couple days.

So, here it goes: I’ve played about 46 hours of this game thus far and I think the team did a pretty great job.

That’s not to say the game doesn't begin rough; the starting weapons are inaccurate, weak, and kind of awful to shoot. The first couple hours had me scratching my head and wondering why I was playing this when all the weapons sucked so much to use, but five hours in and I had an assault rifle with a scope, a laser sight, a silencer, and the body-shot damage boost so that non-headshots didn’t just tickle the enemies. It was smooth sailing after that.

The soundtrack is great, the world map is the perfect size for the available content (they use almost every piece of the map for something. Very little empty space fluff), the side-quests are absolutely insane in the endearing way I’ve come to expect from Ubisoft, and it only crashed on me once in 46 hours (one of the treasure hunts. I think a script broke).

Heck, I even got into the annoying support characters. I’m not going to mince words; this game is WOKE. Poor Clara, Juan, El Tigre, and Dani are surrounded by a motley crew of Dedsec rejects and one-note secondary antagonists that feel like they were written in 2018 by some very disgruntled “progressives” with a bone to pick against the color Orange… but the writing is still kind of poignant.

There’s a whole cyclical “it’s all just a little bit of history repeating” vibe that gives even the relentlessly obnoxious La Moral and Maximas Matanzas groups an interesting air of tragedy. La Moral in particular is a faction of murderous, bloodthirsty extremist psychos that are pretty much just the pre-Anton Espinosa faction without Yara’s reins in hand just yet. Juxtaposing them against the Legends of ’67, who La Moral have almost no respect for and refuse to heed, was a brilliant writing move that really nailed on home how screwed Yara is. It’s going to be another “Chavez takes over and gets rid of an oppressive elitist regime… only to become an oppressive tyrant that runs the nation into the ground” scenario. Fight fascism with authoritarianism, targeted violence, and Puritanical moralizing zealotry (LA MORAL! You even named the faction with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, haha).

You know if La Moral took over, they’d mutilate any Anton loyalist they found, bathe in blood, run the economy into the ground, and then go crawling back to foreign investors just like Espinosa did. It’s sad, because they mean well… but they’re stupid, crazy, lack perspective, and have no respect for the lessons of the past... but were the legends themselves any better back in 1967? "My father and I spoke every night, until they took his tongue." Bleak times.

So… it works. It feels horribly dated already because the time and place for these characters and your on-the-nose villains was 2018 to 2019 and it’s 2021, baby, but you did tug at my heart strings. I felt sorry for Yara, I felt sorrow that the lessons the Legends learned from their own failures repeatedly fell on deaf ears, and it made me tilt my head at Anton’s final set-piece in this game. “Hm, he saw the cycle playing out too. Smartest man in the room.”

Rambling. Last few notes: I love Dani. Not a fan of the “let’s not bother recording separate lines for supporting characters regarding male Dani & female Dani and just refer to Dani as plural, which no one does in real life but cost-savings!” approach to dialogue-writing, but whatever. Dani is well-written, well-acted (I particularly enjoy male Dani), and I was genuinely upset when Dani had a dentistry mishap. “How will Dani get reconstructive dentistry work done in the middle of a warzone? Oh no!!!” was actually the concerned thought that raced through my head. I know the writers have done well when I actually give a darn about a character’s teeth.

What a breath of stunning fresh air after the mute leads of Far Cry 5 and New Dawn, who had to sit through monologue after monologue and hold idiot orbs way too often (Leave your weapons outside and handcuff yourself, RABBIT! I promise to not torture your mute &#& while monologuing about how great I am).

So there. Mostly positive. 😛 Honestly, the only lingering complaints I have at this point are that I can’t switch ammo types in the field and that overclocked rank 4 weapons are usually, surprisingly worse than their regular rank 4 versions. It seems like overclocked weapons are at their best when they bring up rank 1, 2, or 3 weapons to rank 4 and grant them extra upgrade slots. Rank 4 weapons are already there, so you just lose an upgrade slot to “general overclock damage boost.”

Eh, enough rambling. Thanks for this game. It’s been a blast and it is one of the best games I have played all year. Much like Wonder Woman 1984, you made it a bit too “topical” and missed your incredibly small window of zeitgeist relevancy (end colonialism in Yara forever by killing the serial imperialist who is literally a Canadian Orange-man stand-in! Si, Dani, I understand subtlety… maybe), but screw it.

Money well spent. I have zero regrets and I think this game stands in good company with Far Cry 5. 

Edit addition: oh, and the game performs great. Silky smooth 60 fps even with ray-tracing on, 80% of 4k, and everything set to high or greater. Oddly, my framerate drops down by 6 to 8 frames for a few seconds every time I open a highlighted lootable container in the open world... which is really weird, but I've opened most of them now so it's seldom an issue anymore. I have no idea why it happens, but yeah. Minor issue now that they're all looted.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• anteronoid
    29 posts

@ingel_riday Excuse my ignorance, but you're referring to Orange several times, what does it mean? "Orange-man"?

• Ingel_Riday
    Original poster 31 posts

@anteronoid

Oh, you're fine! Nothing to excuse at all; the previous U.S. President was very much despised by left-leaning individuals, especially in the entertainment industry. They used to call him "Orange-man" because he favored spray-tan a bit too much. I'm pretty sure if I said his actual name here, the forums would flag me and get me in trouble... so I used one of his nicknames that the American (and likely Canadian) Left gave him.

Incidentally, McKay is pretty much just what the Left perceived the previous U.S. President to be. It is super blunt and has aged poorly in just the span of a year. All art is a product of its time in a way, but Far Cry 6 is more overtly so than its fellow Far Cry games. Still, a great game. I did enjoy it. 😛

• AnimusLover
    313 posts

@ingel_riday despised by people with a moral compass and adored by people on the wrong side of history*

I was actually enjoying your post up until this, "woke this, woke that" nonsense. Please don't use words you don't understand, especially ones that have lost all meaning since being adopted and twisted by right wing white people. btw you said it yourself that all art is a product of its time so by that logic you don't just ignore pop and political culture just because it might not be relevant in a few years, especially because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes, there was that nagging feeling throughout that the two rebel factions are going to be a problem once Clara/Dani win and I'd be interested in playing some DLCs with the aftermath of that.

Yes, the game is definitely a grower. Let's just hope players have the patience to see it through as the first few hours are very off-putting.

• Kormac67
    1097 posts

@animuslover

I'd be interested in playing some DLCs with the aftermath of that.

It's Ubisoft. Valhalla story ends just at some point with lots of lose ends (like Eivor's grave) and after two DLCs we are none the wiser. It's more important for them to sell DLCs to people who put the game away after a few hours than to those who finished it and want to see how it goes on.
    At least FC6 DLC announced very clearly that I don't need it - zero interest playing the villain from older games I haven't even played.

@Ingel_Riday
    Yeah, the game made me care about some of the characters as well, so it is not written badly. Dani herself stays a bit distant though, other chars get developed better imo. Sharing a bit more personal stuff of her would not have hurt.
    It doesn't really know what direction to take though. Some cutscenes are disgustingly brutal, some stuff is ridiculous like the roosters (kudos to the forum censoring their ingame name).
    But yeah, 120h played, finished the story, done the first insurgency, currently picking up leftover treasures, criptograma chests and stuff.
    The game is well worth it's money.

• Omgilovesteak
    33 posts

I like the game. I could do without the obvious USA bashing OH and the dang enemies reappearing from out of no where but i like the game.

Dani ( female ) is the one i use due to the voice acting being better also.

• DV20Katana
    184 posts

As always for me theres just one thing that wins in this game - the open world. Ubi really excels at this. Looks fantastic. So a big shout out to the artists 🙂

The dictator brainwashing his son is also well done, a sense of dread.

And this is where it all went downhill for me. I was hoping Ubi would keep that dark vibe of a tyrant dictator & a country in strife.

Then came the rebels that feel like they were plucked right out of an EDM festival. It just didn't feel like they were fighting a tyrant, not even dressed for combat. The immersion and feeling of a "desperate" guerilla uprising just was not there. Was hoping for a FC2 vibe where it really felt like a hostile map (yes I know that game has its faults).

Add to this cartoon animals like attack croc, cart-dog & combat rooster and it came across like a clown game but this is the way forward for the FC series I guess. At least its not mandatory to have these clown "companions".

Others have mentioned other annoyances like insta respawns, bullet sponges and AI that knows exactly where you are. The RPG element does not feel right. Essentially the game felt like Just Cause to me not Far Cry. Its just missing an infinite grapple and chute.

As always I'm always a big supporter of gamer choice. And I hope Ubi will give us an Immersive Mode which is much tougher and more brutal. No HUD, no clown animals, no fantasy weapons with motorbike engines and backpack rockets. Come on Ubi!

Suggested Topics