ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Soldier_of_Dawn
    Original poster 251 posts

Introduction
    I would like to see an 8 player co-op of some sort that fulfills the large-scale battle experience.

I won’t be too explicit on how the mode would play out since there many possibilities and I would like a discussion about it. For example, you can have 8 player vs 8 bots or a horde mode. However, I will mention the features I would like to see:

1. Paired executions(execute an enemy with a teammate)
    2. Multi-kill executions, both individual and paired. This is where the player(s) can take down multiple opponents in a single execution.
    3. Return of the Responsive Dialogue System being used on enemy A.I. for more immersion. Of course, this should come with a toggle option.
    4. Realtime use of:
    • Archers,
    • cavalry,
    • infantry,
    • shield formations
    • siege engines & towers, etc.
    • ballista bridges(from the campaign)

I feel a horde mode would be the best way to introduce 8 player co-op given the current state of the community where many players prefer to kill in the popular game modes at the expense of the objectives. If killing was the main objective then that would solve a common problem.

8 player co-op Horde Mode features:

1. Vote for attacker or defender perspectives, e.g. attack the castle from all sides, or defend the castle from all sides
    2. Fight endless waves with mid-level and end-of-wave bosses with a limited number of tickets.
    3. Kill mid-level and end-of-wave bosses that drop banners that can give boosts such as hero shield & attack, ticket increment & locks, gate shielding, wall reinforcement, archer boost, infantry boost, siege engine & tower boosts, etc.
    4. 1 loot crate for reaching 30 minutes and 1 crate every 10 minutes after the 30-minute mark. Loot crates are better for longer game modes as this saves players scrambling to sort and delete lots of loot at the end of a match to avoid reaching full capacity or needing to leave the lobby entirely to sort through the loot.
    5. Higher XP and steel per minute after 30 minutes are completed by the individual player(and not the team or lobby session). The reward rate would be the same as Breach for the first 30 minutes.
    6. Drop-in and out at any time. Like Arcade, rewards would be calculated for each wave or minute completed. This is good if you get disconnected during a long session.
    7. Rejoin option if disconnected.
    8. New enemy AI introduced each seasonal event based on the event’s theme.
    9. Old enemy AI from past events reintroduced either through throwback events or popular demand. For example, if the AI was a Guardian of some sort, such as the Possessed Kyoshin, then the special boosts would apply if it was defeated.
    10. All new enemy AI and returning old AI, including seasonal, remain as permanent additions to the mode so it increases in value and challenge over time.
    11. Leader boards – Top: Takedowns, executions, multi-kills, paired executions, longest fight, kill streak, etc.
    12. Adapted maps from both the story campaign and Breach.
    13. New maps inspired by For Honor's lore, such as The Battle of the Eclipse as depicted in the art below. To me, this is a very romantic setting for a large-scale battle.

Team Style: 8 Player vs 8 Bots
    Team-based modes tend to involve objectives. I personally don’t recommend a new objective-focused game mode given the current state of the community. However, a team-style 8 player co-op could work if the objectives revolve around killing the enemy.

For example, the teams need to capture the zones to access the siege engines that would allow them to take out the opposition quickly. This mode would be ticket-based instead of points. So players wouldn’t be required to stay in the zone to boost points but to have the most firepower to deplete the enemy team’s tickets. Like Breach, the team on their last 4 tickets would go into breaking and would no longer respawn after being taken down or executed. Other layers to this mode could include real-time use of shield formations, archers, cavalry, etc. as mentioned earlier.

Advantages of 8 player co-op

1. Playing with a larger team without the lock-on issues 16 player PvP would bring.
    2. Use feats and other features, both old and new, that may not be balanced for PvP.
    3. Poor matchmaking or low and high rep players mixing wouldn’t hurt as much in co-op as it does in PvP.
    4. Good for buddy/mentor schemes where veterans and new players can meet up, and not worry about their MMR. Here, the new players can learn the mechanics at a more comfortable pace.
    5. Co-op is less toxic than PvP; good for players that want to grind without the grief PvP brings or just want to relax in the world of For Honor.
    6. Better rewards for players who only enjoy Player vs AI.
    7. Hopefully, emote spammers and goofs will migrate to co-op and leave the more competitive and objective-focused players to PvP.
    8. Players who effectively play Skirmish in team modes would feel at home in Horde Mode at least.
    9. Streamers and content creators could team up with more members of their community during their play sessions.

Why do you think?

• What is your take on large-scale battle modes and 8 player co-op in For Honor?
    • How should 8 player co-op be introduced?
    • What features in a large-scale battle mode would you like to see?
    • Did you have something else in mind that would fulfill similar goals? 

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• undondory
    885 posts

@soldier_of_dawn

I think if your willing to pay through the nose for this then it's a very good idea

• A Former User
    0 posts

Garbage idea.

The game already can't get decent 4 player team, so you think 8 randoms trying to play a co op is going to be easier to put together? Lmfao

It doesn't matter if your idea is good or not, it's the quality and quantity of garbage players that will kill it because they don't care. The playerbase is dog poop, no good idea can create anything good from dog poop other than 'lets make more flies'. More flies = more dog poop.

• IlluminatiEyes
    1713 posts

@nydardoloth
    Buddy dont forget that not everyone get screwed by matchmaking. Just the High High Reps.
    I Guess the middle Reps and Low Reps get an even Matchmaking.

You with more than 1000 Reps, get the worst there is... I know that, i saw that...I played it...and I died because of it..! 😄

• Soldier_of_Dawn

@nydardoloth At least we know what you think of the player base. With that line of thinking, perhaps the devs should just give up on building the competitive scene and kill the game entirely since the player base doesn't care overall. I do get it though; matchmaking has been an issue since Year 3 and I also wish the devs would treat it as an urgent matter. Good matchmaking is a foundation for all PvP games.

However, as I mentioned earlier, unbalanced matchmaking doesn't hurt co-op modes as much since the players are not competing with another team, they are simply enjoying the game in a more relaxed environment. Take the event mode from Year 3, Emperor's Escape, as an example. It was well-received and maintained a consistent medium activity throughout its run because it was a game mode that fulfilled an experience that has been popularised in films, TV shows, and historical documentaries, that being the reverse of the castle siege fantasy Breach gives us now. Another factor was that it was a solid co-op mode which is something that's missing from For Honor. Note that matchmaking wasn't much of an issue for Emperor's Escape despite players being able to drop in and out, and I'm sure the mode being co-op had something to do with it.

• A Former User
    0 posts

@soldier_of_dawn no again.

Any and every co op game revolves around team play, hence co op.

If just 1 player is a goof, or unskilled or a suicide bomber of any sort your chances of winning drop by pfffft... 90%. More players equals more goofs, more unskilled and more suicide bombers who's teams get eaten by basic players who know the basic strategy of how to win.

Forhonors playerbase is garbage, where by the time I've repped up 1050 times I've met 3 decent players. @PicoAncus is the only one on forum.

In theory your idea is awesome and I love it, but in reality we all have to deal with ... the reality of real players, useless garbage cans that make good games garbage. But hey, they and $50 bucks and earned that right 😉

• Soldier_of_Dawn

@undondory If making money off the new mode is an issue then I would suggest locking it behind Arcade so players would need to purchase the Marching Fire expansion. Alternatively, they should charge no more than $20. The other ways it could earn sales is through the features I mentioned earlier:

1. Paired executions
    2. Multi-kill executions.
    3. Paired multi-kill executions.

The above may not be balanced for PvP so they could be exclusive to co-op modes and boost the modes' appeal as a result.

• Soldier_of_Dawn

@nydardoloth All you've done is effectively highlight the matchmaking issue. This affects all game modes and is no reason not to implement a new mode if it is going to do well.

• A Former User
    0 posts

@soldier_of_dawn but.. the matchmaking IS the playerbase.

• Soldier_of_Dawn

@nydardoloth In your experience, that may be the case. For this rep 1000, matchmaking is a mixed bag. I get both good sessions and the ones you described. As Pico mentioned earlier, this may be more of an issue for high rep players which was the case in Year 3 when high rep and high-level players were frequently matched with rep 1s and 0s due to an issue in the MM algorithm.

This idea may not suit you, which is okay since not all players will enjoy or use every feature a game has to offer, but I want that large-scale battle experience.

• A Former User
    0 posts

@soldier_of_dawn Like I said it's a great idea and I'd love to experience it too, just... Reality sucks lol

• undondory
    885 posts

@soldier_of_dawn

Well what you suggest although very large can be done but they will need to sort of the matchmaking, ping before they can even DREAM of doing something of this size

• IlluminatiEyes
    1713 posts

@nydardoloth
    I understand what you say. In your case the teamates you get with your 1000 plus Reps are the worst game have to offer. As i told, i fight on your side, i get the same teamates goofs, and im punish, ganked and killed because of it. Its frustrating. I know..! Thats why i try to share that burden with you. Im pausing the game just a few days... Trying to have the will to play it again...

But when i played with randoms, i get the both ends... Bad players, and good players... Was even matchmaking after matchmaking...
    I just prefer to play with you, and knowing i have someone good watching my back. I saw the potencial of playing with comunications, now just lack more two teamates.

What @Soldier_of_Dawn is trying to say, is, that that maybe a Co-Op mode, revive the will to play this game, since we re not in the Ego game of PvP, and smashed by organized teams... Scripters and players playing and abusing the mechanics of the SS tier chars. Somehow playing all with the same purpuse, on a battlefield mode could revive at least the will to play this medieval game.

• Soldier_of_Dawn

More ideas for 8 player co-op:

Ground executions:
    Performing executions on grounded enemies would be very fun and effective. We could have both individual and co-op(paired) ground executions.

Settings for 8 player horde mode:
    1)The Battle of the Eclipse - open battlefield
    As mentioned earlier, an open battlefield setting that retells 'The Battle of the Eclipse' would deliver a very romantic large-scale battle experience. Players could vote for the perspective of either the Chimera or the Horkos.

2)Castle siege
    While this setting could use the Breach maps, I believe it would be more fun to defend or attack a castle from multiple sides. The opening chapter of the story mode touched on this:

In light of popular history, the hit TV show Vikings, and Assassin's Creed Valhalla, a map based on The Siege of Paris would also make a good setting and plenty of sense. Again, players could vote to attack or defend Paris.
    AC Valhalla spoiler warning!

3)Snow mountain & valley
    Fighting off hordes in difficult conditions has often been portrayed in films. A snow mountain or valley on a mountain range in the middle of a blizzard would fulfill this aspect very well.

4)The Colosseum
    While a large-scale battle on an open battlefield is largely fantasised and requested, fighting off hordes in the Colosseum with your small army can be just as romantic.

Ryse: Son of Rome had some great Colosseum settings

5)Great Wall of China
    Another well-fantasised setting here. What greater honour could there be than defending The Great Wall?
    Sorry about the video, it's the best I could find.

• Soldier_of_Dawn

Settings for 8 player Horde mode continued:

6)Defend the Ship
    This set piece explores an aspect of naval warfare in For Honor where the team defends their ship at sea against attackers who try to board it from multiple sides. They will also have to deal with enemy archers and cannons from attack ships as well. The mid-level and end-of-wave bosses would also range from pirate leaders to mythological beings based onthe factions’ folklore & religions such as sea gods, leviathans, krakens, etc. As an example, the devs could use new assets for the gods, adapt skins from the illustrious outfits, use past event assets, or a combination of these.

The players would have access to:

• multiple ballista bridges and zip lines so they can board other ships at their discretion
    • troops, archers(normal & fire), and shield formations
    • ballista bows and cannons for attacking enemy ships, foes, and bosses

The hazard players would have to deal with are:

• Some phases on this map would have stormy weather and cause the ships to rock & lean from side to side and cause large waves to crash against the ship.
    • Wave splashes can knock both the enemy and players down. However, the big waves that cause this would be pretty telegraphed.
    • When the ship leans to one side, both enemies and players on that side would be more prone to being ledged.

When fighting large bosses such as leviathans or krakens, in order to protect themselves and avoid the ship taking damage, the players would have to:

• kill tentacles and boss minions via melee combat
    • use troops and shield formations to assist with boss minions
    • use archers, ballista bows, and cannons to attack the main body of the boss
    • use ziplines and ballista bridges to access other ships to avoid peril or get a better attacking position

While the mode is still ticket-based, the players' ship can be destroyed by enemy fire or attacks from large bosses. The team will get a warning saying ‘Your ship is sinking,’ to give them a chance to board another ship or risk losing tickets based on the number of those who go down with the ship. A new ship will eventually respawn by sailing in from the background where the scene would be surrounded by numerous ships.

• Soldier_of_Dawn

Is this a tease of some sort?

8 player co-op OR...

8v8 PvP?

Who knows?

• Replicant_ID
    77 posts

I'd pay for Horde mode

• IlluminatiEyes
    1713 posts

@soldier_of_dawn
    I wish an 8v8 mode. Seems fun 🙂

• Soldier_of_Dawn

The Old Gear System
    Before the current Perk System for our gear, we had Gear Stats. Co-op modes like Horde could reintroduce Gear Stats that would allow players to create interesting and diverse builds including revenge, stamina, offense, and defense. You could tweak various things including throwing distance, revive speed, execution health regen, running speed, stamina recovery, etc. This would bring an interesting dynamic to For Honor and would help make co-op feel more unique and refreshing from other game modes.

Since Gear Stats would exist in co-op, balance wouldn't be an issue which was the reason the Old Gear System was removed. Kenzo covered the Old Gear System pretty well and I agree that this would bring back a form of progression For Honor currently doesn't have.

As a possibility, Gear Stats could coexist with the Perk System but they would be disabled when playing in PvP like how they were in ranked modes. So your gear would have both Perks and Stats but I'm open to other suggestions on this one.

• Dstein06
    5 posts

@soldier_of_dawn Every idea has pros and cons. I like this idea though. I've always wanted for honor to have some kind of open world experience or battle royal mode.

There are obviously things to figure out, you can't be having a 8v1 gank. but starting with a co-op is a good idea to get there.

Thanks for the effort you put in bro.

Suggested Topics