ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• UNSOLVED [XBSX] AC Valhalla No Longer Playable - Consistently crashing during the Continue/Load Game Process

0 Likes/13 Replies/1632 Views
    TheeElf
    Original poster 301 posts

Ever since the Oskoreia Festival launched I have encountered a few more crashes during gameplay on my Xbox Series X. However, as of today, I cannot seem to get an save file to load. None of them show corrupt, but when I select Continue or Load Save from the menu, the game file selected appears to load, then the screen goes completely black, and I am returned to the Xbox home page with no error message. I have seen recent reports of a few games on Xbox Series X crashing and there appears to be a "system-level problem on Microsoft's side" but Assassin's Creed Valhalla is not on the list of games experiencing the problem but I do realize that could be due to lack of reports. Through my entire lengthy time of playing Valhalla I have rarely experienced any crashes. This is the AutosaveCLOUD file that was the most recent:

Here's a recording of what happens:

But as of today I cannot even get a game file to load without crashing and return to the Xbox home page. I've already hard rebooted the console, uninstalled and reinstalled the entire AC Valhalla game files, and tried some other minor troubleshooting but at this point I am unable to play Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Please advise and/or confirm with Microsoft if Assassin's Creed Valhalla is also affected by the system-level hardware problem being encountered. Also please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you,

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• A Former User
    0 posts

@theeelf

Disable internet connection and load a save were you didn't started event yet

The event is bugged and have to wait until patch comes

• TheeElf

But I had already played the Oskoreia Season festival and completed it on the day it came out. I had already purchased everything from the event store. The only thing I had been doing the past couple of days was doing Reda daily missions and then out of the blue today everything starts to fail.

• UbiMint
    Ubisoft Support Staff 186 posts

Hi there @TheeElf!

Thank you for the in-depth description of the issue you're experiencing, as well as the image and clip! I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this crash issue when you try to load your game. Just to check, were these: (https://ubi.li/BzGPd) the steps you tried when troubleshooting? Also, are you able to create a new save file by any chance? If so, please let me know if the new one loads or has the same behavior as your other saves.

Official Response
  • TheeElf

@ubimint A majority of them yes. This Xbox is not marked as my home Xbox as the Xbox One that my kids play on is the home Xbox and my Series X is my "away" Xbox that I am always signed in to. Because of Microsoft account limitations I can keep swapping what my home Xbox is. Additionally, I can't disconnect from the internet because this was a digital purchase and since it is not the home Xbox it will tell me that "It doesn't look like you own this game or app" because it can't verify over internet connection it belongs to the account.

I've continued messing around trying to see if Discovery Tour loads and it does. I also checked the oldest save file that I had (Nov 24th, 2020) and it does load. I then tried a save file from 2 days ago and I could get that one to load now when it previously wouldn't. I did a Reda mission from today and did Quick Saves and manual saves and no crash yet but given the slew of crashes today, I'm not thinking I'm out of the woods yet. I will continue to check over the course of the next few days to see what happens or if anything else happens tonight.

• TheeElf

@UbiMint So this morning I booted up the Xbox. I opened AC Valhalla, click Continue, the game crashes. I then re-opened AC Valhalla again, clicked on the oldest save file I mentioned above (Nov 24th, 2020) and the game loads. I then go to the menu and click load save and select the Nov 15th, 2021 save file (the most current) and the game crashes again. I then re-opened AC Valhalla again, I select my save file from Nov 14th, 2021 and the game loads. I create a new save file for Nov 16th, 2021 7:35 AM (862H 2M 37S). I click file load the manual save I JUST created, the game loads. This last step (the bolded one) is the SAME thing I did yesterday but for some reason the file that loaded yesterday no longer loaded today. Tomorrow I will try the same thing and see what happens. My suspicions are that when I try and load the save file that I just made and loaded successfully today, that it won't load and will crash tomorrow. I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible as I have experienced around 30 game crashes in the past 48 hours during the Load Save/Continue process.

• TheeElf

@ubimint And after the reset this morning, I accepted the 3 Reda missions. I fast travelled to a pier point near one of the missions (Sciropescire pier point on Dudmastun Lake), I completed the mission, received the opal. I then selected a second fast travel point closest to the second mission (Lincolnscire fast travel in Lincoln NOT the pier point), during the load process for the fast travel to the second point, the game crashed. This EXACT thing happened yesterday but I thought maybe it was a fluke so I was paying close attention today. So I load AC Valhalla again, select the save file mentioned above 30 minutes ago, and the game loads. I went to Reda to accept the 2nd contract (did not accept the 3rd contract), fast travel to the same fast travel point in Lincoln, fast travel point successfully loads. I completed the contract, received the opal, fast travel to the Ravensthorpe hut fast travel point, during the load process for the fast travel, the game crashed again. So I load AC Valhalla again, select the save file mentioned above 30 minutes ago, and the game loads. I accept the 3rd mission at Reda, fast travel to the closest point for the third mission (Grantebridgescire at the Wycham fast travel point), fast travel point successfully loads, was in the mission of completing the 3rd mission (not completed yet) and the game crashed. So I load AC Valhalla again, select the save file mentioned above 30 minutes ago, and the game loads. I accept the 3rd mission at Reda again, fast travel to the closest point for the third mission (Grantebridgescire at the Wycham fast travel point), fast travel point successfully loads, complete the 3rd mission, receive the opal, I create a new save file for Nov 16th, 2021 8:31 AM (862H 7M 56S), fast travel to the Ravensthorpe hut fast travel point, during the load process for the fast travel, the game crashed again. So I load AC Valhalla again, select the save file from 7:35 AM today and the save loads successfully. I attempt to load the save file from 8:31 AM and the game crashes. Now I will try the reverse by loading the save file from 8:31 AM first but the game crashes during the load process. If I go back and try and load the 7:35 AM file, it loads successfully. Keep in mine the 7:35 AM file is simply the game file from Nov 14th, 2021 loaded and just created as a new save (no progress, items collected, XP collected, etc.). I created a Quick Save file (Quick SaveCLOUD Nov 16, 2021 8:46 AM 862H 2M 55S) but when I immediately attempt to load this Quick Save file the game crashes.

SUMMARY: It appears the only way I can play, is to load an older save but if I:

• Complete a Reda mission, the next fast travel crashes the game (possibly because autosave during the fast travel?).
    • Complete a Reda mission, create a new save file, and try and load that NEW save file, the game crashes
    • Create a Quick Save and try and load the quick save, the game crashes

NOTES:

• I have already fully completed the Oskoreia festival
    • I have already fully completed the 4 Tombs in the Tombs of the Fallen content.
    • My Xbox Series X storage space availability is: Internal Storage (66.8% full; 266.1 GB free of 802.0 GB) ; External HD (43.2% full; 2.1 TB free or 3.6 TB)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as it does not appear I will be able to make any future progress in the game on my save file.

• TheeElf

@ubimint And here's a detailed full video breakdown of today from the main menu to being done with Reda missions and attempting to load newly created save files:

SHORT SUMMARY: Load the old good save file, do the Reda missions, crashes between each mission/fast travel, and attempting to load the new manual/auto/quick save after the Reda missions causes crashes.

Video of Today's Struggle:

Key Highlights
    0:10 - Showing that CLOUD and MANUAL saves are visible
    1:00 - Known good manual save file loads
    1:24 - Create a new manual save and overwrite an old file
    1:30 - Try and load the save file just created 
    2:15 - GAME CRASHES loading the save file mentioned at 1:30
    3:50 - Load known good manual save file (NOTE: CLOUD SAVES ARE NOT SHOWING AT THIS POINT)
    6:15 - Completed first daily Reda contract (Opal received)
    6:55 - Fast travel back to Ravensthorpe (GAME CRASHES)
    8:35 - Shows new auto-saves were created prior to the crash (NOTE: CLOUD SAVES ARE NOT SHOWING AT THIS POINT)
    8:50 - Load known good manual save file (NOTE: CLOUD SAVES ARE NOT SHOWING AT THIS POINT)
    9:45 - Accepted second daily Reda mission and fast travel
    10:20 - Noticed task moved, so fast travel to a different point (GAME CRASHES)
    12:00 - Load known good manual save file 
    12:55 - Accepted second daily Reda mission and fast travel to the same point that caused the game to crash previously (No crash)
    15:25 - Completed second daily Reda contract (Opal received)
    16:00 - Fast travel back to Ravensthorpe (GAME CRASHES)
    17:40 - Click Continue now that the second Reda contract is completed
    18:00 - GAME CRASHES loading the Continue save file mentioned in 17:40
    19:50 - Attempt to load an Autosave file created BEFORE the second Reda mission was completed
    20:30 - GAME CRASHES loading the Autosave file mentioned in 19:50
    20:45 - Synching data for Assassin's Creed Valhalla message appears
    22:05 - Load known good manual save file (NOTE: CLOUD SAVES ARE NOT SHOWING AT THIS POINT)
    23:00 - Created a new Quick Save file
    23:10 - Fast travel to another location
    23:30 - Attempt to load the Quick Save file created mentioned in 23:00 (GAME CRASHES) (NOTE: CLOUD SAVES ARE NOT SHOWING AT THIS POINT)
    25:30 - Showing the Load Game files listed (NOTE: CLOUD SAVES ARE NOT SHOWING AT THIS POINT)

And tomorrow I will turn the console back on and essentially the same thing happens all over again. At this point I am unable to accumulate any XP, crafting materials, silver, etc.. The only thing I can accumulate is Opal because it is link to the Ubisoft account and not to the actual game file.

• TheeElf

I wanted to provide some additional feedback/findings. With today's Ubiconnect Challenges that released today, I tried some new actions:

- Attempted to do a River Raid, clicked the Let's Go Raiding option, the screen shifts to the boat launching from Ravensthorpe, and on the loading screen the GAME CRASHES.
    - I attempted to travel to a different region (Norway) to play a Dice game there. The GAME CRASHES during the load process.
    - Could successfully play an Orlog game in England as it didn't require multiple fast travels and I could play from Ravensthorpe.
    - Knowing that I couldn't travel to Norway, I tried to travel to other regions:
      - I CAN travel to Vinland (no game crash) but I CANNOT travel back to Ravensthorpe as the GAME CRASHES (similar concept of 2 fast travels; 1 works fine and second one crashes)
      - I CANNOT travel to Francia as the GAME CRASHES during the load process which means I can no longer access any of the Siege of Paris DLC content I paid for.
      - I CANNOT travel to Ireland as the GAME CRASHES during the load process which means I can no longer access any of the Wrath of the Druids DLC content I paid for. An interesting note here though. After patch 1.4.0 and AFTER completing the Tombs of the Fallen content I COULD travel to Ireland because I was checking to see if anything changed with the 3 Odin's Runes there. Now, I can't travel there at all.

So far everything seems to be related to 2 fast travels in a game session with the exception of the DLC content which I can no longer access at all since the game crashes when attempting to load the content. Please let me know if there are any other tests/recommendations to try to see what the results are. Thank you,

• TheeElf

Another action done, albeit unintentionally, I died from fall damage, clicked the option to Reload Latest Save from the death screen, and the game crashed.

• TheeElf

@ubimint
    So I think I found another crucial piece of information regarding my problem. This problem started after I completed, the Tombs of the Fallen content, and after I completed the Oskoreia Festival content but not before Oskoreia. Today at Reda, I purchased the Werewolf Figurehead. This is also the first time I have purchased something since Nov 14th from Reda. Now, I can't even fast travel once before the game crashes which becomes a big inconvenience for completely my daily Reda missions. I loaded the game up again, and immediately tried to fast travel once and it crashed again. So now I believe the issue could possibly be inventory related.

A problem that encountered during the Oskoreia festival was that while trying to buy everything from the shop I accidentally purchased the Hel's Scythe twice. Once when I bought it as the first item, and a second time when it was the last item in my shop. I didn't think much of it at first as I figured I could have two Hel's Scythes equipped when I played. However, when I went to upgrade them to Mythical status at Gunnar, my inventory shifted from 2 of them to 4 of them total and I have no clue why they multiplied. So I discarded this save and loaded an older save BEFORE anything was purchased at the festival shop. I wanted to double-check to see if the merchant was glitched. So I got enough tokens to purchase 2 scythes, I bought one, closed the merchant shop, then opened it again, and the scythe was there to buy again and let me buy it. So I discarded that save and loaded my other save with nothing purchased. I started playing normal again, and only bought the scythe once and my save file that is my "good" save file is the one from I have mentioned numerous times with my testing being the Manual Save 9 "November 16, 2021 - 7:35 AM (862H 2M 37S".

So my working theory now is that since Reda items and festival items are linked to the Ubisoft account and the Hel's scythe multiplied in my account at one point, could the issue be that somehow the Hel's scythe is continuing to multiply in the background every time a fast travel is loaded? And now that I purchased the Werewolf Figurehead, did that multiply it again which is why I can no longer fast travel once? I'm afraid to potentially purchase another item from Reda at this point for now knowing if it will fully break my save or if I am just constantly stuck not being able to fast travel nor travel to another region. Is there anyway someone can taken a look at my Ubisoft Connect account and the Helix/Reda items purchased to see if there is anything off there specifically regarding the Hel's Scythe or anything else? I've attached an OLD screenshot showing that a previous save that was discarded did have 4 Hel's Scythes at one point but this is not the current status of the known good save file. I'm just concerned that this bug could have carried over into the Ubi Account/Helix Pack/Reda item status nor affecting any save file.

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like me to test now.

Here's the image from the old save when the bug occurred:

• TheeElf

So a new piece of information. I went to see if I could change up my Tattoos at Tove and when I speak with her to see the options the game crashes. This is now the ONLY case where I am not traveling/fast traveling that the game crashes but still seems to tie in to the inventory issue (Helix, Reda, festival, etc.). I checked all the other shops that I could think of and I have no issues viewing the Ship decoration shop, the Merchant Shop, the Reda shop, Hildiran's Wares shop, nor Vagn's river raid shop. However, if I purchase something from Vagn's shop, the game crashes (once again something inventory-related). So I'm not sure why it crashes looking at the Tattoos and purchasing from Vagn's River Raid shop but this could be another potential clue into looking at why it crashes as it all seems inventory-related.

• sinep234
    1 posts

I have the same issue with yule festival in version 1.4.1.1 on PC, everything works fine except the saves with this festival.Have you managed to solve this issue somehow or we just need to wait for a patch ?

Suggested Topics