ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• xerxes68
    Original poster 6 posts

Hi, I'm having some odd graphics issues with Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

The system:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
    GPU: AMD 5700XT with the latest drivers: 21.11.2 - at the time of posting
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey: v1.5.4

It's mostly fine when I'm outdoors, but whenever I'm in a cave, I get these over bright (particle?) effects:

Whenever my character enters water I can't really see anything; the effects are so bright it completely obscures everything else:

When moving around indoors, I get these odd effects where the characters feet are kicking up dust. Here's a short video to demonstrate.: (https://www.tdsf.co.uk/AC/AC/AS3.mp4)

I've tried altering the graphics settings within the game, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else had this issue, and did you manage to resolve it?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1259 posts
    Best Answer

Hey there.

As we're in uncharted territory here I think the best course of action with this would be to submit your system files to us on a support case so we can delve a little deeper into what might be causing this and if required submit this to the ACV team for further investigation.

You can reach us either through the support website by opening  a live chat session or alternatively through our social media accounts on Facebook: (https://en-gb.facebook.com/UbisoftSupport/) and Twitter and they will be able to create a support case for you.

After you've opened the case if I can also ask you to attach two system reports to the case that will assist us in identifying any potential cause. The reports we need from you are:

MSInfo
    DxDiag

Thanks.

Official Response
  • Ubi-Orion

@xerxes68

Hey there

I don't believe this has been reported to us before. Can you try a clean installation of your drivers and perhaps try rolling back to a previous version to see if the same issue occurs at all?

Official Response
  • xerxes68
    Original poster 6 posts

@ubi-orion

Hi, I tried a clean install of the AMD graphics drivers, but it didn't help. I suspected it wouldn't, because when I installed Windows 11, which was only a short while ago, I did a clean install, rather than an upgrade from Windows 10, and obviously did a clean install of all my drivers at that time, including the graphics driver.

I noticed that the issue also happens in the game at night. The problem seems to be with smoke and dust whenever not in sunlight.

• longjohn119
    1281 posts

@xerxes68 Downgrade your AMD graphics drivers a month or two, I believe the September drivers were solid. AMD's graphics drivers broke the game back in June or July too.

The problem here is neither AMD or Nvidia test their recent driver releases with games over 2 years old so they often break older games and don't know it until people start complaining about it on their forums. I'd also go to the AMD graphics support forum and see if anyone else is having this problem. It could also be a problem with Windows 11 which is still pretty buggy.

• xerxes68
    Original poster 6 posts

@longjohn119

Thanks for the suggestion; I tried going back to an earlier driver, 21.9.2 from 17/09/2021, but no joy, the issue remains.

I also tried Assasin's Creed Valhalla as I thought the two games would likely share a lot of code, but that's fine.

Regarding Windows 11, other than this problem, I haven't noticed any issues, everything has been working pretty smoothly. The fact that I was able to install an older Windows 10 graphics driver on Windows 11, would suggest that at a fundamental level the two operating systems are very similar; I think most of the changes are cosmetic. To anyone that hasn't made the switch, it looks nice enough, but the start menu is definitely a step back. 😕

• Ubi-Mushy
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1145 posts

@xerxes68 Thanks for the update, and thanks to @longjohn119 for the suggestion!

Were you already running Windows 11 when this issue first appeared? Or did you also notice it in Windows 10?

Please also confirm that you've completed all the steps in our PC troubleshooting guide. I'd like to rule out some potential issues there.

Official Response
  • longjohn119
    1281 posts

@xerxes68 I bet you have an HDR monitor ...... Try turning off HDR in the game settings. Windows 11 HDR works differently than it did in Windows 10 so there might be some sort of incompatibility. This was a problem with Odyssey a couple of years ago but it was fixed but I bet there is something about the way Windows 11 handles HDR that made the problem come back. You may have to turn off Auto-HDR in the Windows settings too.

• xerxes68
    Original poster 6 posts

@ubi-mushy

Were you already running Windows 11 when this issue first appeared? - I think so. I have played the game previously, on W10 a while back, and it was fine. Then I tried playing it a few months back and it wouldn't launch and now, on W11, it launches and seems to run just fine, no crashes, FPS is as expected, etc., but I have this weird glitch when indoors or at night.

I had tried everything on the troubleshooting guide, and I've now tried running as administrator as well, but no change.

@longjohn119

My monoitor is an Asus VG27A, which isn't HDR and HDR isn't enabled in Windows, the game settings or the Radeon settings.

• longjohn119
    1281 posts
    @ubi-mushy

Were you already running Windows 11 when this issue first appeared? - I think so. I have played the game previously, on W10 a while back, and it was fine. Then I tried playing it a few months back and it wouldn't launch and now, on W11, it launches and seems to run just fine, no crashes, FPS is as expected, etc., but I have this weird glitch when indoors or at night.

I had tried everything on the troubleshooting guide, and I've now tried running as administrator as well, but no change.

@longjohn119

My monoitor is an Asus VG27A, which isn't HDR and HDR isn't enabled in Windows, the game settings or the Radeon settings.

Well according to Asus that is an 165 Hz HDR10 monitor with G-sync compatibility ..... Your problem looks exactly like the problem many people were having with HDR 3 years ago and was later fixed with an title update. There was a lot of problems with Windows 11 and HDR in the pre-release back in July so there may still be a bug in there somewhere. One of the major changes in Windows 11 is how it handles HDR which is changed to the way it's done in the Series X. One thing you can try is make sure you are in Full Screen Exclusive mode. If you already are then try going to Full Screen Windowed mode, start the game and see if you still have issues. If you do try switching it back to Full Screen Exclusive. The main reason I suspect it's actually a Windows 11 problem is no one using Windows 10 has this problem and not many people still playing this game have moved to Windows 11 and even fewer are using Windows 11 and have an HDR monitor. You could very well be the only one so far and are likely to be the first one to report a problem to Ubisoft support so they don't have any knowledge/experience with it to fall back on.

I don't recommend giving any game Elevated Privileges (AKA Run as Administrator) for anything other than testing purposes because it's a security risk especially for an always online or multiplayer game. If it doesn't work (and in my experience it doesn't 9 times out of 10) then make sure you turn it back off.

• xerxes68
    Original poster 6 posts

@longjohn119

You're right, my monitor is apparently HDR, I don't know why, but I was convinced it wasn't. However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of HDR within the Radeon software and it seems that it has a maximum of 155Hz; I think it may be possible to get 165Hz with an overclock:

undefined

I can enable HDR in the windows settings; I tried it and it looks awful - way too bright:

undefined

If I look at the advanced display settings I see this:

In the game menu, with Window Mode as Borderless, the HDR options are not available and are "greyed out":

If I change that to Windowed or Full Screen I can selet HDR, but cannot adjust it in the HDR Settings. It didn't look good anyway and none of the Window Modes fixed the issue.

Regarding "Run as Administrator", I did this the one time from the .exe, I didn't leave it that way. 🙂

• longjohn119
    1281 posts

@xerxes68 I think 165 Hz only works with a Nvidia G-sync graphics card and it defaults to 155 for AMD Free-sync .... It really doesn't matter in this game because you'll never see that kinds of FPS even if you set everything to low ..... I think HDR only really works in Full Screen Exclusive mode (Although that may have been changed in Windows 11)

A couple of other things you could try is right click the EXE and check the box that says "Disable Full Screen Optimizations" or go into the Documents\Assassin's Creed Odyssey\cache\ folder and delete all the files in there. That is the texture cache for the game and it will rebuild it automatically. I doubt it will fix the problem but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to try it

You are kind of in uncharted territory here ......

"Those who live on the Bleeding Edge of Technology often die a Death by a Thousand Cuts" That's years of experience talking here

• xerxes68
    Original poster 6 posts

"Disable Full Screen Optimizations" - I tried that, no joy.

It would appear that something is fundamentally wrong with either the game engine, the graphics card driver, Windows 11, or these three things in combination, and as such, no amount of tinkering with the settings seems likely to fix it. 😕

• Ubi-Orion
    Best Answer

Hey there.

As we're in uncharted territory here I think the best course of action with this would be to submit your system files to us on a support case so we can delve a little deeper into what might be causing this and if required submit this to the ACV team for further investigation.

You can reach us either through the support website by opening  a live chat session or alternatively through our social media accounts on Facebook: (https://en-gb.facebook.com/UbisoftSupport/) and Twitter and they will be able to create a support case for you.

After you've opened the case if I can also ask you to attach two system reports to the case that will assist us in identifying any potential cause. The reports we need from you are:

MSInfo
    DxDiag

Thanks.

Official Response
  • EgeMert45
    1 posts

I have the same problem with my windows 10 amd system here is the specs
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043)
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor       (12 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Radeon RX 580 Series Dedicated Memory: 8171 MB HDR Support: Not Supported
    I already tried changing settings and disabling full screen optimization also this issue started to happen after I get latest amd gpu driver before that i was using 21.23 because of random crashes

• longjohn119
    1281 posts

@egemert45 Downgrade back to your old driver ...... I only upgrade my GPU drivers when I have a good reason like the notes says it fixes a specific bug in a game I'm having problems with, I buy a new game that needs the latest drivers or there is a security issue that needs updated drivers (rarely happens) .... Otherwise my motto is "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it" ... For instance I'm only on my 3rd set of GPU drivers for 2021 and have about 250 hours or so in Odyssey this year with only one crash .... I started the year with the Game Ready drivers for Cyberpunk (December 2020) upgraded drivers in May for a security update (May 2021) and then upgraded drivers for the addition of DLSS in Elder Scrolls Online and Shadow of the Tomb Raider

This is especially true with older games and/or older graphics cards because they don't test new drivers with older games and both Nvidia and AMD released new drivers this summer that broke Odyssey and didn't fix the problem until the next driver update. Since I didn't upgrade my Nvidia drivers then I didn't have any problems

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3940 posts

Hey there guys,

Sorry for the lacking responses on this thread!

Thanks for sharing this @longjohn119 - if this helps anyone, please let us know so we can make a note of this!

For anyone else still having issues, I've pinned Ubi-Orion's post, please refer to this for ways to contact us directly so we can help you further with any performance issues you're having.

Much appreciated!

Official Response
  • LostAccountant
    2 posts

I am having the same issue, has there been a solution that works?

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3940 posts

Hey there @lostaccountant ,

Thank you for reaching out, sorry to see you're also having issues!

If the steps in our PC troubleshooting guide don't help at all, could you please refer to the pinned post by Ubi-Orion above to contact us directly with your system files so we can take a closer look?

Thank you!

Official Response
  • LostAccountant
    2 posts

@ubi-theberry

I got this answer back:

"Likely your issue related to many CPU cores you have. Development of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey has been concluded, it means that nothing we can do from our side. As possible solution, please try to delete folder %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Assassin's Creed Odyssey\ then verify game files in Steam, then check the issue again.

Should you have any other issues or queries, please feel free to update us."

• Ubi-Gizmo
    2297 posts

Hey there @lostaccountant, thank you for taking the time to share this potential solution. I appreciate it! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Suggested Topics