Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DoctorMcNutty
    Original poster 21 posts

Its not out yet but looking at the bits and pieces of what info is out its looking really disappointing to players potential returning to the series.
    -link the full article here, its pretty brief though.

I have issue with mostly this chunk below.

- Character Selection

In the Division: Heartland, you can play as one of six available agents. There will also be an option to select between three classes in a match where each will possess its own unique set of perks and skills.
    Preselected classes? Premade characters? Some of the main reason i like the division is because i got to build my own agent, customize the abilities, modify them with scars and different haircuts bit it sounds like they are cutting that section out entirely.
    It goes on to explain some other potential game modes that i was okay with but as a pve player mostly, i would have been more than happy with a pve survival experience instead of a pvepvp with 2 human teams and one team of ai rouges. It sounds like a returning game mode from the div 1 but i never was interested in it for a few reasons. The games pvp has been not great in the past, and to suggest to double down on it and expand on it is something i just don't think the series should return to unless there is some major tweaking involved that levels the playing feild of all the players so you don't have a heavy imbalances of teams who spam instantly refreshing abilities, or chunky tank builds that are damn near impossible to kill and frustrates players that can shoot those users in the face and do literally no damage. With less customization, id imagine that the games not going to get any better either. I was pleased with the first two games, im here because i just see a concern for this upcoming title.
    Ultimately to me, the preset classes is for last gen or mobile games, not a multibillion dollar tripple a rated development studio, this is just under par of the "craig" fiasco gamers had with the 343 studios producing the latest infinte game. Id rather wait and get an experience worth the time and money instead of feeling used for my patronage like how i felt after playing the last far cry game that didn't have a multi-player component, and a way overpriced dlc for a game that just feels like a rehash of 3 and 4. Yeah the new vehicles are okay, the tanks are unique but carcasses clip through the treads and flip them, then the physics go ballistic. AA gun emplacements are sometimes completely unguarded and sometimes the enemies respawn as soon as a character changes a region on the minimap sometimes leaving to some [censored] firefight in areas that had been previously cleared out.
    This turned into kind of a rant. I guess i just like these games a lot, feel free to agree or disagree yourself but as a lifetime gamer, these trends concern me and id like to see them at least aired to breathe the greivences.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• DoctorMcNutty
    Original poster 21 posts

@doctormcnutty
    https://whatifgaming.com/the-division-heartland-description-has-been-leaked/

^missing link, wouldn't let me add it via copy paste in original post^

• Adrian-11
    800 posts

@doctormcnutty

noise, noise... some crap "set in the world of The Division"... noise ...noise ...FLOP! 💩

• dagrommit
    789 posts
    Id rather wait and get an experience worth the time and money

You do realize this is a F2P game? As I understand it, players still have to put together a gear build, hence the PvE expedition mode.

Regardless, plenty of people were calling for a revival of Survival, and making it a separate game seems like a good move to me. The predefined classes will be easier to balance, and avoid issues with PvP nerfs affecting a primarily PvE player base.

• HonestlyOK1986
    100 posts

Current players will expect a new great fulfilling experience, which this wont be. Its just a mini mode to attract new players to the franchise so they dont want to over complicate it, hence the dumbed down classes and agent picks etc. I'm looking forward to giving it a crack but imagine i'll be done with it within a week.

• LateNiteDelight
    551 posts

@honestlyok1986 Anyone going in expecting it to be like The Division or Division 2 is setting themselves us for angst/disappointment.

If they go in thinking it's a F2P game [aka, simplified], with a post-$Flu setting, and 3PP combat with a cover bias - then they should be good. Then it comes down to what appeals to them about The Division. One group will be fine, the rest will not.

• Noxious81
    502 posts
    (...) Regardless, plenty of people were calling for a revival of Survival, and making it a separate game seems like a good move to me. (...)

Although I don't expect Heartland to be very close to Survival. I doubt that there will be the survival mechanics that made this mode interesting, including the gathering of materials and resources to craft gear and survive. And I still fear that the PvE mode of Heartland won't be much more than an intro, a tutorial, a rather simple preperation-mode mode for the PvEvP mode. And that the Storm Expeditions will be the main part of Heartland.

• xcel30
    416 posts

@noxious81 pretty sure that footage (you know the one) had basic field crafting as part or the gameplay to keep your agent topped off

• dagrommit
    789 posts

Heh, Heartland made it to the list of games that have been delayed in 2021 - and it's a pretty long list:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/every-game-delayed-in-2021-so-far/1100-6489425/

• DoctorMcNutty
    Original poster 21 posts

Have you ever considered that my input wasn't directed at any of you?

• LateNiteDelight
    551 posts

@doctormcnutty Then why post on the Discussion board? doubly so for a Dev that has nothing to do with the game you are posting about 🤡

If you have concerns about what Heartland may or may not be [either you're breaking your NDA or you haven't played it and are basing your opinion on things which may not be fully accurate] - you should be directing those at Red Storm. Maybe you should read what folks have posted - it might better prepare you for what Heartland will actually be, so you are not setting yourself up for disappointment.

Or, you could engage in said discussion and further refine your concerns and opinion after taking in some new information.

For instance, character customization - have you played any F2P games? Most of them come with canned characters, but then they have MTX to dress them up as you prefer. A great example is Scavengers. Why do you think they should break the mold, and add additional dev costs to allow us a feature typically reserved for paid games?

• dagrommit
    789 posts
    For instance, character customization - have you played any F2P games? Most of them come with canned characters, but then they have MTX to dress them up as you prefer.

The thing with classes/premade characters is that they aren't restricted to F2P games - Siege is built around them, Battlefield has had them for awhile, as did Destiny when it was a paid game. It just reinforces how clueless the OP's argument is.

• hralex1951
    62 posts

I am not interested in this because it is really only PvP. I read two things on a game site about the game.
    There are pockets of extreme contamination on the map that are no go zones. As the match proceeds, these small pockets expand in size to force players into a smaller and smaller playable zone. This is a typical feature of a battle royal game.

The other feature they noticed was a gameplay hint for players to make sure they carry enough filters suggesting there is a time limit on their use. This was an annoying part of Metro and it was used in a DLC in Breakpoint which was idiotic because the filters only lasted a few minutes.

I thought Heartland was going to be a full PvE game with a campaign but it is just Survival mode. None of this appeals to me. I have yet to see a F2P game worth playing. I guess you get what you pay for.

• AgentMikel
    87 posts
    I am not interested in this because it is really only PvP.

From the link that got posted by the OP: "A PvE mode titled Excursion Operations has also been mentioned in the description. Players can complete those PvE missions, gather gear, activate alerts, and prep the battlefield in this mode."
    So Heartland is both a PvP and a PvE game.
    And don't forget that we will get an update for Division 2 as well..... and maybe that update will be a PvE one.... Maybe....

Still.... As a PC player, Div 2 is still crashing, lagging and freezing for me so I started playing with Div 1.

• hralex1951
    62 posts

I am convinced by what I have read that there is no real PvE except for some introductory tutorial missions to set up the real game which is Survival. There will be no full campaign like Division 2. Unless things change, I do not expect otherwise.

• dagrommit
    789 posts
    There will be no full campaign like Division 2

This is my understanding also.

I have yet to see a F2P game worth playing.

Different strokes for different folks. Plenty of people enjoy Destiny 2, Warframe, CoD Warzone etc. How a game is funded is separate from whether it's fun to play. Though it's understandable if this isn't for you when it's so heavily PvP focused.

• LateNiteDelight
    551 posts

@hralex1951 Why did you expect a full campaign from a F2P shooter? Have I missed an offering elsewhere? I've only ever seen PvP or PvPvE focused F2P shooters.

That there is even a basic PvE mode, seems like a bonus for something I figured would be PvPvE only. 🤷

• hralex1951
    62 posts

It was more a hope than an expectation although the early talk suggested a more fullsome PvE mode. That's fine, this was wanted by a large section of the community, just not me. I will continue to play coop in Division 2 and playing legendaries.

• LateNiteDelight
    551 posts

@hralex1951 yeah, I'm 100% positive my Heartland hours won't get anywhere close to my TD2 hours.

I'm just glad it seems there is some kind of PvE option. I'm really hoping it is a Survival variant, as I do enjoy Survival in TD1. Would be nice to have the updated gunplay from TD2 for this go round.

Hopefully we don't have to wait many more months to finally see what it is.

Suggested Topics