ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DNH_17
    Original poster 239 posts

I am not a MOCAP or a game designer so I can't talk of how to do stuff, sure not or why.. maybe speculate on that but not here.
    But of the feeling character moves give yes, I can.

Let's do this experiment
    Just watch this video from 1:18 and up to 1:44 30 Seconds.

Just notice Nomad in GRB and then GRW animation and movement.

GRB as way fast movement, it feels accelerated like TC The Division almost (if one starts to run in TD it is pure death of immersion), not so polished and to me "uncanny valley" generating. Why Devs made this choice? Any chance to reduce this speed? Maybe there is even a skill that interacts with this and leaving it vanilla avoids the character to move this fast? Yeah.. for this maybe I am dreaming.

But can devs actually put some effort in reducing uncanny valley? I have been protesting also for the speed with which the legs move when our character is moving while crouching. It's incredibly ballerina-feeling speed, like a tip toe dance. How can "apparently" no one protests or notice this? Doesn't take an incredible developed taste to notice that it kills immersion with every move.

Wildlands moves create a story just by pressing forward and locking to walk speed the character. With a joypad u can even have more granular movement instead, accessing thanks to the pad to what keyboard in this case unfortunately doesn't allow, offering up to 3 walking speed.. very slow, medium and medium fast before, with a little push more the character starts to jog. Wildlands moving character shoulders attitude etc are so cool...feels like real, it feels like natural and human, less mechanical, it feels the mocap has a personalization, it is humanized, not a ragdoll ... and can even reach a level u dnt see all move actually in the same way, it has this level of precision.. it is a master piece.

Well from this post you understand the level of detail for me is crucial in order to immerse in ... in this game at least, if not all games.

In Days gone for example the game moves right left up and down the head bobbing if u watch in these 4 directions (for 1 second and then auto reset to center) while you actually are also offered the up down, left and right view (the view remains in that direction while the head goes back to the standard position if u keep the direction pressed and anyway it feels great... really.. however this level of detail is more for a sad and slow single player game as Days Gone, only this example is, the rest above no, I am seriously concerned of that).

... don't you feel that it's a missed opportunity to immerse? Do you feel those movement that were sold as "mocap" on a french SF fighter, are a bit uncanny valley mode on?

EDIT: I noticed that there is a perk\skill that adds up movement and less stamina consumption (not that I wanted to unable it in GRB as I play hardcore if I play) maybe not adding that +10\15% speed will allow better animation, but I believe vanilla is still too speedy.
    I hope somebody can add like me her\his own cents into the pool... Thanks.

Thanks.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• DNH_17

@hdwc_ I checked over skills and perks and there seems to be at least 2 or even 3 that will speed up movement, and which I possibly will have to stay away from and also ask my fellow players to stay away from as watching them could dictate immersion death for me (in fact other people "freedom" of choosing something can damage other people experience if you see something moving too fast in your team.. you know what I mean, and this makes other people "slaves" of other people choices\requests . which can become kind of cringy discussion (I believe this topic I opened isn't though). It's not being strict, it's just that gaming is sharing a set of rules right? I just wish this rule bending of "having character go faster" was not a thing in a game that simulates reality... why making it run like FLASH the super hero?

There are surely one that speeds you up, sorry if I dnt remember the names of thiese perk or skill nor of the others. There is possibly one named close and personal that maybe makes your moves faster (the important is that it doesn't touch uncanny valley) there are also some that speed you up when you are moving crouched... and in general I mean the character maybe just moves fast vanilla, just from the start and the movement , as explained in the original post, is a bit too standardized (so no escape from that I think).
    Imagine clicking those skill up there I mention superficially and then not being able to reset it and having to start again your character? I cannot imagine that. 🙂 I just hope that devs will get this feedback, please take care of the mocap\moves, characters moves just tell a story (sorry if I repeat this sentence.. i just like it) by themselves.

Have fun y'all!

• Hugo-FOU
    174 posts

@hdwc_

Short reply. Yes. I agree. Wildlands does it better. The run looks like a mile eating lope you’d expect of someone potentially traversing a long way. Especially when carrying a backpack. BP, the run and sprint are just too fast and the walk is just horribly animated.

What BP gets right is the movement in combat.

• DNH_17

@hugo-fou LOL. Thanks.
    Was wondering if there is a way to soften\ limit the awkward moves (maybe not selecting speeding up perks and skills first of all).?

• snobal1
    3 posts

@hdwc_ I can't stand the horrible crouched animation in Breakpoint. Its too fast and wobbly. Also the indoor jog. Looks like Nomad has [censored] himself.

• DNH_17

@snobal1 Maybe the only way to avoid stuff as I was saying is to not enable OP (over powering) skills (like any that speeds up the character... - digress: I never understand why designers do not make skills and perks that have to do with RPG-ing a military game, not perks and skills that wouyld be good for a fantasy game... I never understand that), but especially to put FOV in a way (the game allows it up to a certain point) that one cuts off legs of the avatar in TPP or however gets a particular angle that saves our eyes and doesn't kill the illusion.
    Dissonance and also uncanny valley are serious issues I will never get how\why, in a AAA production like Ubisoft ones, aren't assessed. I think they can fix it if we ask them, Mocap studios are closed for sure, but they can maybe change how it moves, but reducing speed etc... maybe... (however in terms of production cycle, I don't see maintanenance teams now on GRB in charge or having time and power and budget to do such thing).

• wapeddell
    33 posts

@hdwc_ Breakpoint animations were slower and more realistic but a lot of people complained, therefore, the devs introduced an update that changed up a lot of animations and speed up the keyframes of some animations resulting in faster movements at the cost of realism.

Suggested Topics