ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Hugo-FOU
    Original poster 174 posts

I’m on the final mission of the final mainland mission and I have to say, overall, I’ve really enjoyed Motherland. Even if the rest were to be bad, I wouldn’t call it a failure.

There are, of course, some things that could still be improved. Even within the limitations of the game. I don’t think we’ll ever see the detailed immersive world of Wildlands.

Difficulty.

Many of the missions still seem rather easy. Without improving enemy AI, I think there are a couple of ways this could be tackled.

Increased enemy numbers. A simple increase in the number of enemies at each location would make things trickier.

Reinforcements. Allow any enemy to call in ground based reinforcements. Plus have ground based troops reinforce bases by default once a downed enemy is found.

Optional objectives. Have a number of optional objectives for each mission. For example. Destroy the vehicles is the primary objective, but retrieve intel, release the captives, or capture the commander could be extra optional objectives. They wouldn’t effect the outcome of the overall mission, but could just provide an additional challenge.

Timed Hostage Rescue
    The first one I played, I liked. There were plenty of enemies about and it created a bit of a running battle. The second one had hardly any hostiles and was really just a running challenge. It felt slightly pointless.
    But more than that, it felt like a missed opportunity. If we’re going to be forced onto a linear path, why not make it a linear mission, with scripted events. Send us through a cave or tunnel system, doing battle as we go.

This could create an interesting change of pace and create some memorable moments.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Steven527
    372 posts

@hugo-fou
    I am assuming the running battle you referred to on the timed missing was in sinking country. I liked that for one main reason. I used optical camo to plow through and free the hostages, then came back through to fight the bad guys. It was a lot of fun then. The other timed mission was a fail. Nothing interesting at all for me.

I agree with your overall assessment. Hell I am on my 5th run through. Once with each character and on my third with my first character. This run through I am leaving the Azraels up. I have finally started messing with the mastery stuff and while the implementation may be odd, I like the effect particularly mobility. (thank you to other posters noting the impact).

I am finding garrison strength to be generally about 80% but with Bodark radio calls you can get some wicked engagements.

Last but I can't go without mentioning it. The freakin belt!!!! I've come to terms with Ubi never going to fix it so I roll with the 5.11 VTAC LBE as it somewhat hides the hideous effect of the belt.

• Ritalin33mg
    8 posts

@hugo-fou agree. increase enemy presence (also outside bases). make any patrol call reinforcement as soon as they get engaged. it's natural for enemy to call some back up as soon as they're ALERTED !. if they think an enemy is nearby they should call some reinforcement (also outside bases).

• Steven527
    372 posts

two additional things I like.

The patrols in the wild can be tougher. Out of curiosity last night I tried something I did way early in BP;s release. Going solo loud with a scorpio scout rifle. I found I was constantly having to move. The patrols that came to investigate were larger and included radio ops. It was a lot harder than it used to be.

The road patrols if they got involved in a fight didn't just up and leave when things calmed down. They stay on site now as if making sure nothing was still moving. The old sit and wait them out doesn't work so well anymore.

• Hugo-FOU

@steven527 I had Ghost coins from the various compensations we’ve had, so I bought the loaded vest. It comes with no pouches on the belt. Although, that does, of course, make the belt look even more pointless. Meh! Maybe Nomad is suffering a bad back.

I’m just on Golem Island. First two missions were way too easy. I was really hoping things were going to have been stepped up. Have just got to the third and this looks a bit more interesting.

I’ll post back once I’ve finished.

• Hugo-FOU
    @ritalin33mg agree. increase enemy presence (also outside bases). make any patrol call reinforcement as soon as they get engaged. it's natural for enemy to call some back up as soon as they're ALERTED !. if they think an enemy is nearby they should call some reinforcement (also outside bases).

I think if you engage a patrol outside of a base, all the other patrols should start converging on you position. It should be a ring of troops you have to punch through or slip past.

There are some good fights to be had now, but still not enough.

• Hugo-FOU

@steven527 I need to try that. Sounds like fun.

• Church367A
    147 posts
    I think if you engage a patrol outside of a base, all the other patrols should start converging on you position. It should be a ring of troops you have to punch through or slip past.

There are some good fights to be had now, but still not enough.

I think this would be a very interesting inclusion into the game if it were added. Especially if the encirclement once completed then began to actively close and attack in unison.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1127 posts
    two additional things I like.

The patrols in the wild can be tougher. Out of curiosity last night I tried something I did way early in BP;s release. Going solo loud with a scorpio scout rifle. I found I was constantly having to move. The patrols that came to investigate were larger and included radio ops. It was a lot harder than it used to be.

The road patrols if they got involved in a fight didn't just up and leave when things calmed down. They stay on site now as if making sure nothing was still moving. The old sit and wait them out doesn't work so well anymore.

Steven, I agree with you on that the patrols are now tougher but I have not been able to enjoy grinding convoys because I can't encounter them by waiting when coming out of a biv, do they spawn in a particular place or in certain bivs? I have been looking forward testing some of the weapons even with the mouse issues I seem to be having but again, not a 1 convoy so far.

On the second, that hasn't been my experience but I must admit that as soon as I am done with a patrol I have moved on and not wait to see whether they will wait or not, I have to check that out. Again, with the mouse issues, I can't be bothered to get into a ruckus with them because I know I can't aim worth of sheet.

• Steven527
    372 posts

@fcac-no-moe convoy spawning is even less predictable than before OM so I don't really have great advice. On top of that when you do spot them they are frequently heading away and almost outside the radius where they de-spawn. When I do spot one I try to arrange hitting it when it is near a base.. that almost insures a high level of chaos. 💀

• DV20Katana
    155 posts

@fcac-no-moe
    To find convoys...one way that works for me is to drone around at low level and low speed in a helicopter. Ive randomly seen 3-vehicle convoys tootling about this way and 9 times out 10 they dont even register the copter. Either precision-hose them with gatlings or overtake them and land just off the road up ahead and set up.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1127 posts
    @fcac-no-moe convoy spawning is even less predictable than before OM so I don't really have great advice. On top of that when you do spot them they are frequently heading away and almost outside the radius where they de-spawn. When I do spot one I try to arrange hitting it when it is near a base.. that almost insures a high level of chaos. 💀

Wait!

Ok, I am a bit confused as I thought I had read somewhere where you had mentioned that if you stood long enough near the spawning on a Biv, you were sure to encounter a Convoy? or that wasn't you? or I misread what you or whomever said it really say?

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1127 posts
    @fcac-no-moe
    To find convoys...one way that works for me is to drone around at low level and low speed in a helicopter. Ive randomly seen 3-vehicle convoys tootling about this way and 9 times out 10 they dont even register the copter. Either precision-hose them with gatlings or overtake them and land just off the road up ahead and set up.

That's a possible scenario that I will probably do if I get into one of those moments where I feel the missions are too cheesy or I need money to buy me a vehicle or helo so as not to bother scavenging for one.

Thanks

PS: Can we not Multi-Quote on this new generation high tech forum?

• Steven527
    372 posts

@fcac-no-moe I did but that wasn't in OM. The convoy parameter seems different

• Hugo-FOU

Finally finished my first play through of Motherland. (It’s a testimony to it that I say, ‘first play through’.)

Everything I said before stands, but I just wanted to add my thoughts on Golem Island.

Underwhelming! Considering it’s the final region, I thought the intensity would really go up a notch. Where as, it actually felt easier than it’s three skull rating.

There are some great features on Golem Island and whilst I do appreciate that overall, Op Motherland is content rich, it still seems a shame there weren’t more missions for the Bodarks last bastion.

Of the missions there were, I feel the biggest missed opportunity was the Lavaduct. With a little tweaking, this would be the perfect opportunity to lock the player in at one end and create a linear battle along the length of the wall. I suggest linear, because it’s essentially a linear feature. Enemies could continue spawning, (as if reinforcements were entering at the other end), until the player got to a certain point. Probably the other end, where the last mission objective could have been placed.

spoiler

Final Conclusion

There are still things that could be improved or expanded upon, but overall I think Motherland is really good. In many ways, I’d actually put it on par with Wildlands. Wildlands still has the immersive world, the story, acting and cutscenes, rebel support, but much of the gameplay and the conquest concept, is probably actually better.

Wildlands still takes it for me, but Motherland is a respectable sequel.

• JediSlayer05
    14 posts

Some of the missions are a pain. Having to blow up 5-8 vehicles before one of the enemies takes off with one, because an A.I. team mate gets spotted, or outcasts decide to attack...

• Virtual-Chris
    798 posts

@hugo-fou Great summary. I’m only about half way through and I’m really enjoying it. It’s added a lot to the game. But it’s hard not to think about what could have been if they launched with this and had 2 years to build it in the first place and then two years of DLC on top of that.

ps. Please check your PMs on the old forums. I have a question for you.

• LateNiteDelight
    978 posts

@jedislayer05 only the Bagman leaves [Skell symbol], so just find and tag before they leave. You can also blow up said vehicle as they are leaving - it's not game over until they've gotten sufficiently far enough from the location.

• JediSlayer05
    14 posts

@latenitedelight True, but can be very frustrating when they get away. Didn't realize it was just the bagman, good to know, thanks. Except I play with very minimal HUD.... Also the ones where you have to take out the ones guarding prisoners without get spotted...but using sync shot kinda helps with that.

• Hugo-FOU

@virtual-chris That’s just how I feel. I does actually make me hope they’ll continue to support BP with more content, rather than just moving on, at least while they work on something new.

Replied to you PM. PS4 only I’m afraid. Gutted to say the least!

Suggested Topics