ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 812 posts

You've probably seen my review of the mod that I've had the privilege of testing while playing Motherland... and it's really made for a more immersive experience. But part of that is how I've chosen to play, not just the game mechanics, so I thought I would share in case others might be inspired to try it.

Team:

• I'm running a 3 person team, Nomad, Holt (Fixit), and Midas (Vasily)
    • We have one NPC who is Haruhi's helicopter pilot
    • Nomad visual pallet 5 is set to look like our pilot
    • I have a team slot free (Fury) that is sometimes consumed by Nomad - when I'm playing the pilot

Infil:

• Haruhi's pilot will fly us to the border of our next region/AO and then we will patrol in on foot to the Bowman briefing spot
    • We use a little bird for this, and the whole team can be seen sitting on the helo (Nomad, Holt, Midas) as I'm playing the pilot
    • We only fly at night
    • After we arrive, I resume playing Nomad's normal visual pallet, and disable the added (Fury) teamate

Movement:

• We move about within the AO strictly on foot
    • We generally move during the day as it's difficult to navigate the rugged terrain of Auroa at night - even with NODs and we need to preserve battery life
    • We stick to tree cover where possible, avoid roads, open spaces, and keep our distance from facilities unrelated to our objective
    • We avoid confrontation in the wilderness as much as possible unless enemies have outcasts at gun point
    • We have visual pallets without helmets and NODs for daytime patrol, one without jackets (warm weather), one with jackets (colder weather)

Recon:

• We recon our objectives using the drone, binoculars or optics during the day
    • We keep hidden at a distance
    • We identify all Tacticians and Snipers as a priority
    • We identify the most efficient path to our target as possible, note patrol and gaurd patterns, etc.
    • We identify a fall back point to move to should we get discovered and re-enforcments called
    • We also make sure we know the extraction or drop point for missions that require it
    • We may add secondary objectives for intel gathering (assumed to be in optical camo crates) or releasing captured outcasts
    • After completing our recon, we either wait out the day at our vantage point or move back to the nearest Bivoac

Gear Up:

• We gear up for the mission at Bivoac unless we don't need any special gear
    • It's assumed that the Outcasts drop tactical caches for us at Bivoacs
    • Amongst the group of us we can only take what will fit on my item wheel
    • I choose 3 or 4 weapons I can select from out in the field - I carry one or two and Midas and Holt each carry 1 in addition to their normal weapon
    • With helicopter patrols, or reinforcements likely, I usually have holt carry an LMG, and Midas a sniper (SRS-A1 since he has that showing anyway), and I take an AR or DMR
    • We put on our visual pallet that includes helmet/NODs
    • We set out back to our objective

Mission Objectives:

• If we have to destroy a vehicle, it's assumed we need to plant C4 to ensure it's properly destroyed, not just disabled
    • If we have to kill an HVT, we try to do so without anyone knowing how it happened or where it came from
    • If we have to clear a base, we use guerrilla tactics - engage, disengage, move, repeat
    • If reinforcements are a risk, we will be sure to eliminate the radio guy or Tactician as a top priority
    • Snipers who can spot us are also eliminated
    • Otherwise, minimal casualties if the objective allows
    • We will eliminate all hostiles if civilians or outcasts are involved to reduce risk to them

Mission Completion:

• I consider it a fail if we get mission complete but then wipe on the exfil from the objective location - unfortunately I can't replay though
    • Only after the region is secure will we call for our pilot to come and pick us up
    • I then re-enable the added (Fury) team mate and switch Nomad to play the Pilot (visual pallet 5)
    • We will usually go back to the Outcast base of operations in Liberty to debrief, and rest before our next region

This has made the game a lot more immersive, and means even after a few weeks, I'm still not finished Motherland. I have 3 regions left.

The mission in Whaler's Bay to destroy four vehicles that are scattered about the region was perhaps the most intense as moving across that terrain, with constant helicopter patrols, and trying to ensure each vehicle was destroyed and we could move to the next without getting killed was very intense. One of the best missions so far. We once got discovered by a patrol and that turned into a cluster as a vehicle showed up while we were engaged and then a helicopter... we were done... wiped... Start over. You only wipe once like that before you take it extremely seriously. It was like playing a mini version of Ghost Mode permadeath. It took me all night to do this mission as I'm moving our team carefully from one end of Whaler's bay to the other and ensuring we don't get into a major firefight or engaged by vehicles or helicopters along the way. It was intense.

Another super intense mission is the one at the big port in Smugglers Cove - there are a ton of enemies there - getting discovered is almost certain death, and with the mod, getting discovered while doing this mission is almost a certainty. I wasn't happy with how we did that... we got in and planted the CR, but we got discovered by a tango I missed on the way out and wiped as I was shot dead in the water (no revive). The mission gave us a credit as the vehicle there was the last of the lot. Very unfortunate that you can't replay a mission.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ArgimonEd
    193 posts

@virtual-chris So Chris, I missed this post of yours and got looking for it when I saw your post in another thread about it.
    I still miss a lot of things because I'm confused since most notifications I receive from the people I'm following are replies to the thread love or hate the forums.

This is how I play:
    I'm running a 4 man team.
    We usually move by vehicle (warden) and I pretend that in the vehicle I stash different consumables (RAT 4, C4's and etc).
    I have all my 5 pallets set for my team for different types of ops.
    • 1 is diving ops and water insertion
    Use the S&S plateframe
    Scuba outfit
    A headset I forgot the name now
    • 2 is warm weather recce
    Helikon CPU top
    Vasily pants
    each player has their signature pack
    I use fury chest rig for everyone
    • 3 is warm weather DA
    SWAT top
    AVS loaded for Nomad and Fixit
    JPC for fury (running SMG)
    And Hill vest to Vasily (since the pouches don't show the mag I can pretend it's an 7,62 mag
    • 4 is cold weather Recce
    Gorka 4 top
    Same pants
    But thus time I'm using all leather boots (models that don't have areas in Cordura,these are the ones you should use in snowy areas, if I'm not mistaken I'm using the lightweight boots and another one I forgot the name).
    I'm still using fury chest rig, but I changed the headset for the safariland one, in the warm receiver I use the same one Alice figure uses, but it's a shame that it loses a piece of it when used with hats, so in the warm Reece I don't use hats.
    • 5 is cold weather DA
    Same vests configuration, the difference is that I'm using the gorka jacket, because is the best model in game currently.
    All green for me and fixit, all black for fury and Vasily (Same colors in recce)

When doing direct action I change the packs for Nomad and fixit:
    They use the new camelback because it resembles the avs/jpc 2.0 zip on backpack.
    Fury and Vasily continue with their packs.

As for weaponry.
    I have 2 main rifles:
    • ACR
    When I'm running the ACR, fixit is using it also and Vasily is using the Mk17 scout.
    • Koblin
    I use the koblin when I miss using an AR15 style rifle, just use it because it has the best mobility and damage for all AR15 the stats are pretty much the same of the ACR making it the 2 best rifles in the game.
    But I seriously find atrocious the mag well of the rifle and the fact that I can't change the stock, just extend and retract, wanted to run the DD CB.

For pistols I usually either use the
    FNX 45 for missions where I have to do infiltrations in a more stealthy way, so I suppress the 45 and take out patrols further out from the obj and then go loud.
    I use the Sig M17 when I don't plan being stealthy at all and it's just a backup weapon for when I run out of ammo in a pinch, it's faster to switch than to reload.

I usually move at any time of the day since there is no day and night cycle and differently from WL the enemy detection distance doesn't get affected by the night.

I avoid areas with too many enemies and avoid driving when I haven't done missions to reduce the enemy quantities on the road.

I usually scout my objectives and most of the time I avoid conflicts, when my missions are to destroy a parked vehicle I usually lose it with the laser designator and exfiltrate from the AO without firing a shot.

There are a couple of things I would love for the devs to add for the game was be more immersive.

1. An torch for the pistol (yeah I mean an IR one, because they couldn't add the light in game and make the enemies detect you with it, but I'm sure they could if they taken a look at the code in WL/BP that makes them detect the vehicle headlight, there is even a tip in the loading screen of wildlands telling us to drive with it turned off and if you turn it on they detect you a bit further away, in both games, and they could use the flashbang stun code to make them stunned if you shine them within 5m from them, this would help CQB because sometimes the flashbang doesn't affect all the room, so you could breach in the direction it didn't and stun whoever is there. So as I was saying an IR torch for the pistol) I lost count on how many times I'm in a really dark room where nods have zero effect, engaging some dudes and run out of ammo, switch to secondary and bam, it's super dark and I don't know where they are anymore.
    2. The IR light needs to be toggleable, they can achieve it by doing something similar to the active camo, gear wheel button + another button.
    So players who doesn't like it can play without it and also in situations where the room is too lit, if you aim with the IR illuminator on, it becomes too bright and you can't see the enemies.
    3. Fix the IR illuminator to only activate when aiming (which was what they proposed).
    Love the IR illuminator BTW, please don't remove it.
    4. Day night cycle (they don't need to make the enemies go to bed like in WL, although I would love it) but increase the detection distance during the day and reduce a little more at night (unless they start modeling Nvgs for all enemies at night, then it could remain as it is, I said as it is and not increase it, because we can only see as far as 100m with NVGS and maybe 40m in moonless nights on the game, BTW love how moon or no moon affect your view distance)
    5. Classic helo controls.
    6. Since they went ahead and made the new enemies dress according to the environment and dress cool, could they make an small paid DLC where sentinel, the wolves and your colleagues in the intro mission won't dress so bad? And the sentinel and Wolves would also dress accordingly to where they are.
    7. Add some small villages in the open areas of the east cost, I don't mean like the super modern mansions scattered around, but as small houses, schools, markets and clinics like in WL, something pre skell
    Because according to the lore there were already people living here before his arrival.
    And let's not talk about how all homesteaders live in abandoned cabins, that look like no one been there for ages.
    This scenario change could come in a paid DLc that also opened up MOA

• ShortFuse1972
    45 posts

@virtual-chris
    These are some very good and interesting ideas. I have been recently been playing missions from your Operation Silverstone, along with your immersion guide you put out a while ago. I have been enjoying it and I thank you for putting in the time to make this game more enjoyable. I wish the developers had as much passion about immersion as you do. I also wish that I was able to play the recent realism mod, but unfortunately I am on console. I believe a mission maker/generator is in order for this game. It’s too bad that a lot of imagination and suspension of disbelief has to go into playing this game to make it enjoyable. The fans are always doing the best work because money is not the motivating factor. Keep up the good work.

• Virtual-Chris

@argimoned

Some good stuff there. I definitely need to add a scuba water insertion pallet to my setup. And of course, I agree with all your suggestions.

ps. what type of ops are you using scuba/water insertion? I could see some of the port ops using that. I need to think about that as an option more.

Also, I need to use the strike designator... I might add that to my kit for my next play through.

• Virtual-Chris

@shortfuse1972 Thanks! Glad you're getting some mileage out of that stuff. Hopefully Ubisoft adds some of the mod settings to the game for everyone as hopefully they will see there's no issues with doing so, and it actually improves the game.

• ArgimonEd
    193 posts

@virtual-chris BTW Chris, since you really like immersion and roleplaying, I suggest you to gear everyone in your team with gas mask in raid Island (forgot the name) because the air would be filled with ashes and sulfer from the erupting volcano and the chemical facility with the sulfer pond. Would be very lethal

• ArgimonEd
    193 posts

@virtual-chris Almost all missions you need to go to an port and destroy vehicles there and the assault on the ammo depot.
    Since it is across the river from your briefing site, I just enter the water and go there.

• LateNiteDelight
    1040 posts

@virtual-chris I did this for both the Airports [water insertion] - as the ends of each runway/peninsula is unguarded for some reason. Same for some of the Wolf bases on the water.

If you're on Console, at least go sans suppressors - it will get you closer. Also try to only run Ops at night, while giving wide berth to patrols when you're traversing the island. You just won't be able to mimick the longer daytime enemy detection range.

• Virtual-Chris

@argimoned

Good idea on the masks on Golem. You’re right you wouldn’t be running around most of that island without a mask of some kind.

• Virtual-Chris

@latenitedelight

Makes sense doing a couple of the airport insertions from the water. Good idea.

• ArgimonEd
    193 posts

@virtual-chris
    Here Chris, if you are interested to see how it looks like in the preset

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

Here is another idea if you guys want to make it more immersive. If one of your teammates gets downed and isn't revived within 30s, he permanently dies (you deactivate him) and after some hours your unit sends you another one in his place (reactivate with different visual pallet). Alternatively you can pretend to train an Outcast and have him take his place (again reactivate with different pallet).

Another idea is to have a joint Ghosts and SEALs operation by making 2 of your teammates look like SEALs (or whichever unit you want to pretend to partner with).

• ArgimonEd
    193 posts

@avengergr35 by seals you mean wearing AOR 1 or AOR2?

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

@argimoned Whichever one you want, but personally I would go with AOR 2.

Suggested Topics