ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• heyscot
    Original poster 63 posts

I know in the latest "making of" video the lead designer said he was told never to look at the reviews or social media, and instead enjoy the journey of creating the game, but here's my feedback.

1. The guns are fun, but I find myself sticking to just a particular set (Libertad Custom GL and Crackle & Pop and Into Orbit or RAT4 for slot 1, Libertad Custom overclocked for slot 2, Eastern Front for slot 3, and Armed Resistance or Desert Eagle for sidearm). I sort of liked the way Farcry 5 and New Dawn's weapon systems worked because it just seemed more fun and challenging and interesting. Instead of earning my weapons, I have them as soon as I get to Clara's island and finish the prologue.
    2. Just excellent voice acting as usual. I love that the game can be played as a man or a woman and it doesn't take you out of the game--this feature dramatically improves the feeling of immersion.
    3. I appreciate trying out the new clothing system in the game, but I would never keep changing my character's clothes for any given situation, especially when in most situations I'm going to be facing enemies who are vulnerable to blast damage, soft targets, armor-piercing, etc. The poison option is fun but it's much slower-paced than other Farcry games. I'm always wearing the Prisoner's Scarf, Vaquero Vest (or Parkour Hoodie), Parkour Shorts or Prisoner's Pants, Parkour Kicks, and the Parkour Strap. This means I get all the gear I need early in the game, which makes acquiring any of the items (outside of Olusa) not very exciting. I enjoyed the skills-based and achievement-based system in 4 and 5 a lot.
    4. Love the checkpoints, the bases, the treasure hunts, the Yaran Stories, etc.--these really made the game more fun and had more variety.
    5. It feels a bit like the crafting system was mostly scrapped, which is disappointing. Crafting has always been a part of the game from early on, and it made gathering stuff more fun to me. Additionally, gathering every bit of stuff in Farcry 6 seems boring, while in New Dawn it wasn't. I don't know. I just miss it.
    6. I loved the narrative structure of Farcry 4 in that you could at least choose two different endings. 5, New Dawn, and 6 were disappointing in that they're absolutely linear. I was especially disappointed in what happened to Diego because the story hints at a better outcome, and given the franchise, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but it also came across as contrived. I didn't believe Anton would do what he did, it wasn't earned, and it went against pretty much everything his character was like up until that point. Same thing with Clara--she would NEVER agree to meet Castillo by herself.
    7. The amount of bugs in the game are disappointing and not what I expect from Ubisoft. It's December, and I still can't drive most vehicles normally because I have my move forward bound to my right mouse button, and before that I couldn't run and strafe and/or move forward at the same time for the same reason. It's not the biggest deal in the world, and I feel like perhaps it's an outcome of the pandemic, but I was surprised by all the bugs. I still haven't done a single Premio racing thing because of the bugs.
    8. I think perhaps it's a sign of the times, but the game felt a little too on-the-nose with it's wokeness, almost to the point of feeling disingenuous. I was really happy you included a trans person in the game, cast a trans actor for his voice, and featured a trans staff member in the Revolucion video, but some of the other content felt just a little bit "put in the game for the sake of being seen as woke and not as a company that has had several massive sexual harassment stories in the news just before this game." It seemed like a PR thing, almost exploitative. If it raises awareness and empathy, that's great, but it was almost an over-correction with some of the characters. Maybe if the sexual harassment stuff hadn't happened I wouldn't feel this way.
    9. There was no hamster amigo (see earlier posts).

Overall, another great game in the franchise. I wish we could have a Farcry that takes the best elements of 4, 5, ND, 6, and Primal and has a more varied storyline. You've got the graphics down. You have the mo-cap down (except the machete kills in this one). You have good stories but it's still too linear.

All in all, like I said--an amazing game. Please tell everyone thank you for making such a wonderful game.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• heyscot
    Original poster 63 posts

Oh, P.S. I don't know how the machine works, but it would be sort of cool if you guys didn't give any review copies out prior to the game launch. I don't know if you did this or not, but in this instance it takes away some of the fun because it's spoiled by people on the interwebs. Let the press wait like everyone else. When a Farcry game is released, it's an event, don't spoil it. I loved the teaser videos, especially the "Nobody Speak" one.

Suggested Topics