Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sock_Monkey
    Original poster 334 posts

I can't imagine this hasn't come up before, but I cannot find a thread with what I am looking for.

If looking to put together a shield build how much are the advantages of Firewall vs. Gunner specialization, assuming with the former you are using the Striker and the latter the Crusader? The base armor, regen times, etc. seem identical, and they scale the same with skill tier too. With Striker you're supposed to get an armor buff if some enemies are in the "cone" range, but I cannot find exactly how much that buff is. In stats for the Striker there is one that doesn't exist for Crusader called "Buff" but it's 1.4%, and I am thinking that's the added weapon damage?

I usually prefer the perks from Gunner, but have switched my DPS build to Firewall to try this, but I am not sure if I get enough of an armor and firepower boost to justify losing the Gunner perks.

P.S. If it matters, this build is primarily for the DZ.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Noxious81
    470 posts

I think that strongly depends on how you like to play and how you feel comfortable. Because I really couldn't say that one version clearly outshines the other.

Personally, I in most builds rely on the Gunner's perks. But that's just me – because I like always heaving at least a bit Armor on Kill or Armor Regen or both in my builds. I just don't like being dependent on Repair Kits 😉 . Of course only besides the other nice perks the Gunner has to offer...

What makes using Firewall viable in dedicated shield builds is indeed the Striker shield. And the option to get an additional damage bonus for each enemy right in front of the shield. Of course equipping the matching Skill Mods is mandatory for this.

But you still have to have the shield equipped, the enemies need to be in front of it, and in range. Where the Gunner's essential perks all can be procced with or without a shield and from any range.

Long story short: I mostly use the Gunner Specialization for offensive builds with shields, I only rarely use the Firewall Specialization for this (and if I do, it's an SMG- or shotgun build). But maybe you also want to consider the Technician Specialization? Because with the additional Skill Tier you also improve your shield. And the combination with the Artificer Hive is also interesting...

• As1r0nimo
    162 posts

Firewall, Striker shield, Mop/Scorpio or BackFire SMG, Hunter's Fury gear set/High Hazard Prot brands.

Just melt enemy's faces in close range.

• Sock_Monkey

@noxious81 Interesting. Although I have a PvE build just like this, I never considered a shield w/artificer in PvP. My suspicion is that it wouldn't fare too well, but never really tested it.

• Adrian-11
    799 posts

For shield power, Firewall is probably the best Spec. A lot is coming from special shield mods, available only with Firewall spec.

If you want to stick with Gunner...
    You could also consider a BF-centered build if you could live with losing 15% SMG damage from HF. Another option would be the named holster Forge, but this one also comes with trade-offs.

• Sock_Monkey

@adrian-11 I wish I could find specs on how much though. It seems we are left to speculate.

If the shield buff were, say, 20% per enemy I'd say it's worth it. If less, the perks from Gunner would be better.

Short of getting a friend to go rogue and "pop-pop-pop" on the shield and watch how much damage it takes before it folds I have no idea how to find out - and it seems Ubi doesn't want us to know.

Suggested Topics