ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• UnhappyLawbro
    Original poster 36 posts

I really like some of the changes in Valhalla but even after 1 year, the game feels extremely unpolished compared to Odyssey (let alone Origins).

• The assassination animations are just terrible and bland.
    • The combat sounds feel really underwhelming and just doesn't feel polished at all. I love the new combat system in Valhalla but it just feels less satisfying than Odyssey because it feels like I'm playing a game in Beta.
    • The bad AI (just standing around not doing anything in the midst of a battle), their terrible physics & animation (for example getting kicked by an attack and hitting a wall, their body would some how bounce back up and far in another direction as if the wall also kicked them).
    • The lack of horse-back combat makes no sense to me. It feels much harder to kick someone while trying to balance yourself on horseback than just swinging the freaking weapon that's in your hand...
    • The lack of repeatable contents compared to Odyssey. I miss all the civil-war related contents like conquest battles, weakening nations, leader assassinations, and things like infinite number of mercenaries hunting you, an Arena (one with survival waves like Origins would be even better) etc.
  • Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• longjohn119
    1099 posts

@unhappylawbro The assassinations were so much better in Odyssey ..... I don't know who many "Athens Wall Runs" Ive done in the game trying to see how many perfect running assassinations I could pull off

This was my first Wall Run and it takes me a bit to get the timing down but when I do it looks awesome

• UnhappyLawbro
    Original poster 36 posts

@longjohn119 Completely agree man. They were so stylish and varied. In Valhalla, 90% is just a small "poke" in the back, honestly feels like playing a game in early access that hasn't worked on the animations yet.

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@unhappylawbro
    So, so true.

The main one that I hecking hate is the one from behind, when Eivor gently pulls them down to the ground, lifts their head then stabs them with the hidden blade lol, it looks pathetic.

Also sometimes Eivor will just do a 'swipe' with his/her hidden blade, at waist height, and that is somehow meant to be a instant, incapacitating hit.

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@unhappylawbro

These are some really good suggestions, and I really hope they do them, but I doubt they will.

There's a sound bug that happens when you use M&K that increases the volume, and especially Eivor's voice compared to other people. The Ubi mods replied that because of 'generic excuse' this won't be getting fixed. This bug doesn't affect me much (I use pad) but just hearing that was so disheartening when it's affecting so many people. 😞

• longjohn119
    1099 posts
    @longjohn119 Completely agree man. They were so stylish and varied. In Valhalla, 90% is just a small "poke" in the back, honestly feels like playing a game in early access that hasn't worked on the animations yet.

There is one where she stabs them from behind, drops them to the ground and then pulls the spear through the chest which lifts them up a bit and she stomps on their chest with her foot to pull the spear out .... It looks frigging brutal ..... Then the one where she stabs them through the ear and then gives the spear a twist and snaps their neck

The problem with the Hidden Blade is that it is permanently attached to the wrist which limits what you can do with it. That's why I thought the broken spear was a much better assassination weapon and I didn't even miss the Hidden Blade in Odyssey

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@longjohn119

True, but if they'd used some imagination, then there's a lot of variety that could go with the hidden blade. There's multiple ways to punch for example, so there's at least 4 types of kill, add in something before that to set it up (sneak up behind, slash the back of the knee, they drop down to one knee then Eivor 'hook punches' (with the hidden blade) them in the side of the head. Or spin the person around, straight punch them to the stomach (while your're down on one knee (with none bladed hand), then uppercut them to the face with the hidden blade. With both of those kills maybe add in something cocky at the end as Cassandra/Alexios used to do like a kick lol

I loved the 2 kill animations you mentioned from ACO, they did look sooo epic lol

• longjohn119
    1099 posts

@simplethumb Hopefully with the Quebec team (Odyssey) working together with the Montreal team the Quebec people can teach Montreal how to make better animations. I can almost guarantee that Valhalla trailer with the fight with Kassandra and Eivor they put out yesterday was done by the same Quebec team that did the Brasidas/Kassandra warehouse fight in Odyssey .....

It was also fairly easy to trigger finishing animations in Odyssey too

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@longjohn119

I'm really hoping what you've said will happen.

That fight scene was brilliant, I actually reloaded my save straight away so I could replay it and see that sequence again lol 🙂

I can't help putting down bad fighting moves in games, maybe it's because I did martial arts for years but some moves/skills on game are done by some people who never have, or even don't know what looks epic/cool, and it really shows sometimes.

• longjohn119
    1099 posts

@simplethumb A lot of people don't realize it but the fist fight Overpower animations where taken from Evie's animations in the Fight Clubs from Syndicate which was also done by Montreal.

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@longjohn119

lol that combo she does is epic, I don't know why I can't remember it. I've played that mission with Alexios but I'm assuming they have the same moves/combos. I must have forgotten.

I have Syndicate but I've never played it.

• Wrubez
    2 posts

@longjohn119 this is so true. Valhalla’s combat feels so incomplete and there is so much left on the table. It’s turned into a hack and slash fest with almost no reward (finisher animations). Tired of hitting a finisher combo only to have it send an enemy flying with maybe a missing limb.

Every weapon type should have like 4 finisher animations and the frequency should be almost always, or at least some type of configurable option like the finisher camera. THEN there should most definitely be dual wield specific finishers, regardless of what weapons you’re holding in each hand. They should all be unique. I don’t think it’s too much to ask especially for a game centered around combat and not stealth. The stun finishers are cool but so much more can be done here. Like I said it feels incomplete even 2 years later.

The game I always use as a comparison is Witcher 3. Combat animations are superb in that game and they even released a finisher pack (that’s something Valhalla could definitely do IMO). Granted I know Witcher deals only with sword finishers but it’s also 15 years old....

Suggested Topics