ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• JupixFIN
    Original poster 3 posts

Just in case there's anyone from the devteam reading this forum: THANK YOU.

I strongly believe having more configurability in game difficulty is the best thing that a dev can do to a game's mechanics.

In other words, more sliders = more betterer.

My dream difficulty system was in Dishonored, then Shadow of the Tomb Raider came out and almost matched it, which was so cool to see. Now you are doing the same to Valhalla, one of my favourite games and that is *really cool* of you to do.

So again, thank you. Please keep it up.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• katzenkrimis71
    233 posts

I strongly believe having more configurability in game difficulty is the best thing that a dev can do to a game's mechanics.

---

I don't think they had a choice. Not after they decided to pump out a million expansions.

Look how easy the game became once you maxed out your level and proceeded to play the last two expansions. It was so unbalanced.

I never complain about stuff like that, because I handicap myself to make the game more difficult, but it was noticeably bad, and getting worse by the month.

This game blew up and became the most successful AC game. Now they have to milk it, and keep supporting it.

This scenario is a developer's dream. It's the complete opposite of what happened with BioWare's Andromeda & Anthem.

Without a difficulty change, the final expansion for this beast would be as easy as popping balloons.

• Wrubez
    2 posts

@jupixfin unfortunately it was very poorly executed for combat sliders. Custom difficulty uses normal difficulty as it’s base even with nightmare scaling so all enemies become one shot. Then if you try and mix and match difficulty & scaling like we could before the patch, the game reverts to force you to use a specific scaling for difficulty. Drengr is forced to use harder scaling. Aesir is forced to use nightmare scaling. No options beyond that. Total opposite of what they wanted I’m sure. Needs to be fixed.

• Simplethumb
    170 posts

@wrubez

Yeah you can't seem to alter anything without it defaulting back to easy or normal, I'm thinking it's setting it to Easy when you alter something like Bow Aiming or Level Scaling.

This needs fixing ASAP please.

• pesto.
    358 posts

I”m less keen on many sliders, but more importantly I do wish it would work without resetting difficulty to easy,

• Marcus-
    8 posts

with the installation of patch 1.4.1, the settings for the difficulty level and scaling of the opponents' level have changed. Until now, these settings worked seperately and could be adjusted however you like. For example, the "Aesir" difficulty level and no scaling of opponents. This is not possible at the moment. In order to set the highest level of difficulty, the game automatically imposes "proper scaling of opponents". There is an appropriate scaling type assigned to each difficulty level. The game automatically adjusts it. In my opinion, this is a critical mistake or oversight and these settings should be returned to the players' hands as it was before. Overall a great disappointment.

• Marcus-
    8 posts

in my opinion, there was a lack of adequate quality control of the introduced changes. The sliders for changing individual difficulty parameters have widened, there are more of them, but at the moment it is not possible to adjust the gameplay in the same way as before because these parameters are interconnected / related. At the moment, the behavior of these settings is more like a BUG than the intentional changes introduced in the patch.

• pesto.
    358 posts

Hmm, yes you’re right. Before difficulty mainly affected enemy attack damage (and the other new settings behind the scenes I guess) and level scaling mainly affected enemy health bars.

This was nicer because you could tune the game to require more skill while still being powerful, or if you wanted it to become more of a slog and extend out fights more you could raise enemy level.

Now it seems like the only control for both enemy strength and enemy health is the level scaling and everything else is meaningless. I much preferred the previous system,

My ideal system would be one where at highest difficulty low level grunts do very high (3 shot max) damage, but their health would vary, with some requiring several more hits than others, and where the weapon/armor perks matter to the extent that e.g. If you had a perk that increased damage with kills then after five kills it may be a two to single shot hit to kill down from, maybe 10 hits. So you can still feel powerful in full combat flow, but get challenged.

Higher level enemies would have expected higher health and damage of course.

I’d also like enemies to stop running away on higher difficulties and have more attack at once. And ideally for patrols and forts to have more heavy and yellow bars. Maybe even a full on boss in charge. Make me suffer damnit! (But not from frustration at controls and broken mechanics).

I want at high difficulty settings to have to be cautious, even if I am powerful. And at low settings to feel like a god.

Suggested Topics