ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Virtual-Chris
    Original poster 807 posts

Although I took about a week off due to life, I’ve otherwise been playing Motherland daily since release and finally finished it. Most of the time I had the luxury of using the mod which greatly enhanced my enjoyment and the intensity of the game.

I made another thread on how I play if you’re interested…
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/122234/how-i-ve-been-playing-motherland?lang=en-US&_=1639336986768

The missions and structure are all very well done. I could nit-pick some things but overall, it was a really good package of content. At first I really objected to missions on a timer, but they add a unique sense of urgency that makes them more challenging. And ultimately more challenge is what I like. I would like to see increased enemy numbers at some locations but again, that’s nit-picking.

The regional based missions make it so much more immersive than having to fast travel or fly all over the map. Well done on that!

The only near game-breaking issue is really how the helicopter reinforcements know exactly where you are and pop you out of prone cover even. This should be addressed. In story mode, a reinforcement helicopter will circle your last known for a few minutes but if you go prone camo, it will eventually bug out. In Motherland, an outcast vehicle or helicopter fly by, or an enemy stepping on their own mine, will cause an alert that has helicopters engaging on your location even though you haven’t fired a shot. In some cases, this alert that’s raised by third parties fails the mission. It can be very frustrating when you’re on your third attempt at a mission because some random encounter keeps blowing it.

I did all the LT missions to capture instead of kill, and wow, was that more challenging! Some tense moments trying to extract these guys and a lot of thoughtful planning was required. It’s very satisfying.

Bowman was a highlight for me. Im very happy they brought her back. But I’m very disappointed we parted on less than ideal terms. I’m her biggest fan. It sucks that I’ve put her in a crappy situation. Of course, I didn’t realize it at the time and would have played the ending differently had I known. I guess you could say it’s another knock against Ubisofts very poor mission briefings that it wasn’t clear to me from the start.

Anyway, congrats and thanks to the team that produced this excellent addition to the game. It’s excellent and so great to see how far we’ve come with the game since launch. All the best to the team for the holidays. I hope we see more of this (either in Breakpoint or the next instalment) soon. 🙂

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• rugby_dog
    81 posts

I think overall OM was rather poor. Mission design was pathetic, it was a pale imitation of wildlands and doesn’t build on anything.

Let’s assassinate this scientist with 4 soldiers in the middle of a massively armed base….or maybe we should have the option to kill them at their home or on route not forced to attack a base….the same base I attacked in the main campaign.

Loads of heavies in most locations, automatic mortars that know where you are somehow.

Just more of the same rubbish. Really gutted they were so lazy in general.

• Flanker1Six
    228 posts

I haven't finished the OM campaign yet, but I've certainly played enough to realize I fall somewhere between your two assessments. Really liked having the handler (Bowman) and Recon/DA Team relationship brought back. Disappointed there weren't improved versions of the great end of mission cut scenes with Bowman, featured in GRW.

Mission briefs definitely could be better/more complete in relating the details (there's a timer on this one dude!). Missions over all are pretty good; though I agree with Rugby they do smack of cookie cutter missions at times. More varied mission types are advisable e.g. take out logistics, power, and C4ISR centers (the campaign did feature a bit of that, but could use further development), as well as a better developed storyline/missions for acquiring necessary assets and resources for the Outcasts. Speaking of our Ace Allies, The Outcasts! What the heck happened to the Homesteaders, and why were they cut out of this campaign?! BIG PLOT HOLE to me!

Another thing I DID NOT like about missions is the cliched pass fail structure of them. Having to do missions over and over until success is achieved is long past it's expiration date! Things don't always go according to plan, and partial mission accomplishment should be in the story as well as the option to replay missions for a complete success for those players who prefer that.

Team AI good. Still needs much improvement in players ability to command and control those rascals and their independent behavior (too much ant like running around!).

OP Mother B maybe a B+

GRB main campaign C -

So, big improvement overall and PROPS TO THE UBI TEAM for doing it!

Where's my NGSW Spear damnit! 😉

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

Also disagree because the whole content seems to be based in the most basics of efforts, just enough to cross it and mark it " Done! "

I am on a province where it has that small separate island (South West of the whole big Island)? I am about to embark on killing 2 Bodark Scientist and then I gotta go get the lone one nearby so I go to the nearest Biv, got out and noticed there are some skell and resources near the Biv so ok, why not, it is paces away so I will be quick I noticed. As I get close I see that more crates are appearing on my minimap but I see no house or structure so it must be one of those internal/caves structures. OK, I got that time. I see a ladder, pull the drone up to see what I am dealing with, bunch of Sammy's and 1 bagman. The main entrance is covered by about 4 to 5 Sammys and the bagman, on the inside of the structure about 10 to 15 more Sammys, this is going to be fun I figured. nope! fish in a barrel.

Come down the ladder, get a crate, move to where the linear path leads me, I get to one of those lock doors with a bunch of resources but nobody near to kill, use my gold bullet to attract a bad guy, need about 5 or 6 but I get it done, 2 get alerted and I have to bring them down as well and while I am picking up the dude (animation takes oh my Gawd soooooo looooong), they see me and I have to go take cover inside that locked room and that is pretty much all she wrote, everybody is dead, I mean EVERYBODY, kill box w/o even realizing it.

The whole game has been anticlimactic, rinse and repeat, more sponginess in the more Skull Provinces but there is no innovation, huge open world and more people but same thing, if you are alone you die when they know where you are even though you killed the last guy before reinforcements arrived, if you take 1 teammate you die horrible deaths because she will revive you only to be killed, for real this time, by the same dude that just brought you down a few seconds ago so, the next time you just give up because this way of dying is even more annoying than the cheesy way the game cheated previously.

Nothing of this DLC says AAA, not even 1A but I am sure the Chris is talking about the game with the Mod and since I have not give that a try yet then I can only speak about the Vanilla OP ML.

• ShortFuse1972
    45 posts

@fcac-no-moe
    I’m sure Chris was referring to OM with the mod enabled. BP vanilla would probably be pretty good with the mod, but without it OM just fell a little flat. It started out like it was going to be a big improvement, but ended up being more of the same silly arcade style gameplay. This franchise has so much potential, but is being wasted away for cash grab mentality. It’s sad to see where this is going.

• Hugo-FOU
    174 posts

@flanker1six I’m very much with you. I think the content is excellent, when compared to what we had, but just a solid good compared to what I think could have been achieved, but probably only if this had been the original direction from the start, rather than the result of a serious U-turn.

They introduced some choice in some mission prep and some mission outcomes, but this could definitely be taken much further.
    As I’ve said in another thread, I think being able to choose a number of optional objectives, could add some interesting variety.

• Flanker1Six
    228 posts

Terminated my first comment early due to an incoming call.

In addition: I also made my assessment (above) of OP Mother with the Realism Mod enabled. I respectfully urge Ubi in very strong terms to implement an easily configurable realism tool/mechanism into future editions of GR! There does not seem to my layman's (as opposed to a programmer or modder) eyes any good reason to NOT include such design features. They will allow a very configurable/customizable and enjoyable game experience for the entire range of the fan base; casual, intermediate, or more hard core. Such a broad based and satisfying gaming experience can only translate into more fan and media buzz, game/franchise longevity, increased sales, and better bottom line for investors.

I will also make another pitch for real world weapon balance (not referring to ballistic trajectory in GRB/OM/Realism; as that's about where it should be) on the most difficult setting. NO WAY should there be silly **** [stuff...................what did you think I was saying? 😉 ] in a shooter like pistols/pistol caliber weapons that do as much damage as rifle caliber based weapons. 👎 Several weapons firing the same caliber out of very similar barrel lengths; but have huge power factor differentials. 👎 Suppressors that nerf performance in any way. 👎

Here again; there is no good reason to not include a more relaxed weapon balance at lower difficulty settings, or as options in the game play/tactical menus, to successfully accommodate players who prefer a more casual or intermediate gaming experience. More satisfaction = more sales! It's not complicated.

Again........................GOOD JOB ON OP MOTHER! A few key options and changes would easily step YOUR GAME up a notch, or even two.................................and make more money!

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

@flanker1six

What the heck happened to the Homesteaders, and why were they cut out of this campaign?! BIG PLOT HOLE to me!

If you try to get inside Errorwhon Nomad will have a conversation with Bowman about the Homesteaders and she will explain why they decided to sit this one out. Mads dislikes the Outcasts so I find it reasonable that he doesn't want to help them even tho he made peace with them. Plus, there isn't any difference between the Homesteaders and the Outcasts and this game is still so broken that sometimes the Outcasts have Homesteader dialogues.

• Virtual-Chris

Let's face it, the mod makes any content in this game, even rucking cross-country, more engaging and intense. But the mission content and the way it's structured by region, is very welcome. Many of you may recall I built my own campaigns... Operation Silverstone, Operation Greystone, and the Ultra Immersive Guide. Those had missions related to destabilization and missions that ultimately affected world parameters. Essentially, Ubisoft took those ideas and improved on them, and make them into real mission objectives. For someone like me, able to play a campaign that is not all in my head... it's a huge bonus.

Could they have done more? Sure. But as with any project, you're trading scope of the campaign, for depth of missions. They could have implemented a mission where you had to capture a HVT at home, at work, or somewhere in between, but then that might have reduced the number of missions by 3 fold given the time they had. So what do you want? I'm happy with the mix of missions and complexity. Some people competed OM in a few days. I took over a month. That's because I play a slower style that makes the journey more important than the destination. I spent one evening just rucking across the Wild Coast, trying to avoid getting killed.

I hate to say it, but it is what you make it.

• rugby_dog
    81 posts

@virtual-chris

It isn’t what I make it though. It’s a poorly quickly designed dcl. Using tricks and your imagination to make the game firstly make sense and interesting shouldn’t be reality for adults or a modern game.

Mod or not there are so many things that need fixing to make this a proper game which I didn’t expect in this DCL but I did expect some better missions and not just, go there do this kiddy arcade stuff which is what we got.

No brains, no skill, no recon required and it makes no sense. GR needs to get back to some mission structures that represent what a 4 man Gr team would do, which isn’t attack a massive well fortified base.

Although I might add, why does every super secure base have a second small entrance left unguarded on the side???? Is that for all the idiot kids playing to just walk through so they don’t have to use their brains?

OG game D
    OM C

• Virtual-Chris

@rugby_dog

Well if it isn’t what you make it, I don’t really know why I got about 100 hours of enjoyment out of it… unless I have the mind of a child. 🙂 (My wife thinks that sounds about right LOL).

I think there were several missions which were very interesting and maybe a first for the franchise, where you have the option to kill or capture. Lots of people asked for that flexibility back in Wildlands days. Admittedly, many missions were just extensions of Daily Faction missions or borrowed from past mission templates. No denying that. But the regional structure, combination and variety, many new locations, and new enemies added up to a great campaign for me.

The mod was a huge factor, but the mod alone doesn’t make crappy missions like Story Mode good. It makes good missions, great.

But, I think how I played… travelling almost entirely on foot, doing recon during the day, plotting a plan, gearing up at the nearest Bivoac, and running the op at night added a lot to even the simplest of missions. So while I could complain that it should have been better, I’m choosing to be thankful for what I got. 🙂

• Hugo-FOU
    174 posts

@virtual-chris I definitely agree that Ubi deserve praise for OP Motherland. I really enjoyed it on the first play through and it’s big enough and varied enough that I’m playing through it again already.

But, I also think it’s important to say how we think it could be improved. If the next game, (assuming there is one), released, based on OM, it’d be good. If it released based on OM, the options from the mod and even a few of the other suggestions from these forums, it could be great, or even ground breaking.

• Gmoneymozart
    59 posts

Motherland is a good first step for ubi paris as they did attempt to make what we do in the world have an actual impact on the rest of the world. They get a big thumbs up for building this mechanic out which I assume can only be improved upon in future dlc or the next game.

• Flanker1Six
    228 posts

@AvengerGR35 Hey! Thanks for the tip; I'll check that out!

Speaking of "what you make of it"; I think I'll try a new play through of the main campaign with the RM active-----finish that, and try a second go round in OP Mother; just to see how they play and play out.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts
    @fcac-no-moe
    I’m sure Chris was referring to OM with the mod enabled. BP vanilla would probably be pretty good with the mod, but without it OM just fell a little flat. It started out like it was going to be a big improvement, but ended up being more of the same silly arcade style gameplay. This franchise has so much potential, but is being wasted away for cash grab mentality. It’s sad to see where this is going.

I have heard that comment since GRAW & R6 Vegas and then FC and then FS and then FC and then WL... see the pattern? 😊

Again, if they really came up with a AAA game, say 90 to 95% finish and Innovative like what they used to before they because shills for shareholders, then I wouldn't care for the eye candy, NFTs, MTX or what ever other 3 letter word they would want to invent to make even more money but, therein lies the problem, all of what they are doing is making bad copies of what others are doing and bad MTXs and bad NFTs. Well, ok, maybe not bad but saying Mediocre I do believe I am insulting the word mediocre.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts
    @Virtual-Chris
    I hate to say it, but it is what you make it.

I guess that is where you and I differ by a mile because to me... it is what they make of it, hence, why I am paying for it. If not, I could easily just go play the mods of the OGR and be done with it. WE are paying for a service in which they have not delivered, making your own fun, while applaudable is not really the point but Kudos to you for having such a 3d or 4d mind. Personally speaking, I could have done with half of the content if the QUALITY was there, others prefer QUANTITY and that is why we have sooooo much rinse and repeat.

I am still looking forward to playing OP ML with the Mod, at least, this way I have something else to test. Thanks for the heads up!

• Steven527
    384 posts

@hugo-fou heh I'm embarrassed to say how many times I've played through.
    1 I was curious to see what it takes to get to lvl 99 and
    2 I wanted to get skill mastery for all 3 of my characters as I really like the enhanced movement.
    Right now, I am just cranking through using all the tools just to complete with the bare minimum of effort. Once I get my characters at the mastery level I want then I'll settle down with the mod and just approach it how I want.

There are some things I really like and others I really don't. Having to shoot one new enemy type twice in the head is so freakin stupid I just have no words for the dev in charge of that idea. On the other hand, the tactician is a nice addition. Most of the missions are kind of generic, but there is only one that I just won't do again. The story line in the DLC is flawed in so many ways, but hearing Bowman again helps make up for it. I am at the point now where I just want them to continue using BP to fix things. Get the gunsmith right, get rid of the belt. add the braid, cap and pony. Fix the character movement, invest time at fixing all the bugs that have been noted. Make this a solid experience in actual play mechanics and then use this to build the next game. Meanwhile start working on the story line and missions for the next one. Make this whole experience a learning one so the next game is more on par with the success of Wildlands.

• Virtual-Chris

@steven527

What mission do you refuse to play again?

ps. Agree with how this should roll now going forward. I’d love even more content like MOA but it’s probably time to move on to the next instalment where new content is concerned.

• Church367A
    147 posts

I have played through the Motherland update once and started a second run at it. It is entertaining and when looking at Breakpoint alone, it is good. I finally enjoy the game for the most part and am tempted to play it every few days in comparison to not really at all prior to the update. When looked at in comparison to what I expect and want out of Ghost Recon it is still filled with design decisions I don't want to see persist though. Sponge enemies are not fun, and do not represent the challenge that I would like to find in a Ghost Recon game, the same goes for the Harry Potter discount cloak soldiers.

You want to make me thrilled about the enemies, have a few ghillie snipers in the middle of nowhere and remove that arcady scope glint and ridiculous tracer. Let me rely on good sound design to try and locate where the shots are coming from, if its even worth trying to eliminate the sniper in that moment. Give me an actual squad of 6 with realistic loadouts and remove this abundance and reliance of fantasy tech. Make losing a soldier or piece of equipment such as the drone be a meaningful consequence and not just some 3 minute cooldown if that. Stop marking up every single thing in the game or at least give the option to get rid of it all, because you can't even do that in Breakpoint. Explosive threat nearby or incoming? Allow Ubi to paint the blast radius red for you so you know with absolute certainty. Don't rely on the sound of a grenade landing nearby or a teammate making an intelligent callout, just watch for the giant red circle to magically appear for you. So much is given to you and the enemy reaction times are still sub-par that even on higher difficulties you have to go out of your way and really do something ill advised to end up dead, which is just sad when I think of the older games and the challenges some of them afforded.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

Another reason why I believe this game is Mediocre at best but it allows people to have fun at the same time. but, let us not confuse having fun with good game because I had a helluva awesome fun playing Crash Bandicoot but I can't begin to compare it to Gran Turismo.

This is the carnage left at this station while trying to complete a challenge (posted somewhere else) and I couldn't but this AI is lacking the " I " by a good 60% of what is here. I mean, for an arcade game is awesome but NOT for what a Mature shooter should be let alone what a GR game should be. This is the definition of shooting fish in a barrel I do believe. And if you can find a place to do this in the heavier skull areas, the outcome is pretty much the same. Oh and, there were about 5 to 8 people left inside the structure but I couldn't bother waiting for them to come out and get theirs.

We all have armpits of course.

Suggested Topics