ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Dave3d07
    Original poster 76 posts

I have the problem with black bars on ALL, top, bottom, and both sides, in cut scenes only.
    And, going into my camps makes my screen resolution in-game go DOWN, and my FOV reverts to Default, not 104 like I have it in Options. It gives me a headache, nausea, and almost a migraine, for both cut scenes and 3rd person view. I have to push my chair back as far as I can for 3rd person view, and I have to push my chair back 3-4 feet just to watch cut scenes w/o getting sic. Pretty bad in co-op, since it slows down our gameplay having to push the chair back, wait for cut scenes to end or play 3rd person mode. Those seconds/minutes add up to more minutes, which adds up to hours lost playing just because the FOV is reverted to default, and cut scenes arent in full screen mode.
    All Ultra except Blur is off, with all RTX stuff enabled as Quality (3090 video card).
    Sigh. Frowny face.
    3840x1600 - Display Port.

The Devs NEED to address this FOV and Pillar Boxing issue. Just adding a screen saying it might make you sic is NOT good enough. They need to FIX these issues.
    Thank you.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Thrupney
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2246 posts

Hey there @dave3d07 , thanks for reaching out about this. I understand you've found black bars around the whole screen during cutscenes, and that your FOV resets when in third person, and this has been leading to nausea. I'd certainly like to help with this.

I've moved your post to a new thread, since you'd mentioned many issues that were different from those reported in the other thread - sorry for any confusion, and thanks for your understanding.

Just to double-check, did you mean that you need to manually go back into the options to change the FOV back to the setting you'd like, every time the game goes back to first person?

Please check our troubleshooting guide: (https://ubi.li/pcts). In this case, please make sure to:

• Do the 'administrator rights' step, to make sure the game has the correct access to be able to keep your settings saved to your system,
    • Verify your game files, to double-check for issues with any of the game files, and
    • Make sure your GPU drivers and Windows install are updated.

If these two issues persist after that, I'd like to investigate the issue further. In that case, can you send me across some screenshots? Here's our guide for how to take screenshots, and they can be attached in a response to this post. In particular, it'd be useful to have:

• A screenshot showing the black bars during cutscenes,
    • One showing your usual FOV settings,
    • One showing this setting having reset, and
    • One showing your screen resolution settings.

Please let me know if I can clarify any of these steps or questions - I look forward to hearing back from you 🙂

Official Response
  • Dave3d07
    Original poster 76 posts

Hello.
    No, I dont change the fov ever.
    The GAME changes the fov on the fly, depending on what is happening (ie: regular gameplay, cutscenes, in vehicles, at camps, etc).
    And yes, I have black borders all around the cutscenes. EVERY cutscene. Even after the hotfix and the update in the last couple weeks.
    This is a GAME ENGINE issue, not a player issue.
    (sorry, I am not shouting or mad, I just cant 'emphesize' an issue or word w/o it being caps).
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    For the black bars in cutscenes, since I cant seem to upload screenshots, see this thread:
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/111307/it-is-farcry-6-and-2021-yet-we-still-have-a-21-9-video-shown-as-16-9-on-a-21-9-monitor-resulting-in-black-bars-everywhere?suggested=true&lang=en-US

Only, MY cutscenes are even smaller than his is, probably due to my monitor size being taller and wider than what his shows.
    I have about 3 inches missing from top and bottom (black bar area), and about 4 to 4 1/2 inches missing from the sides (black bar area).
    Thanks.
    And if you could let me know, or link me to a how-to, about uploading images (they are already .jpg) via a web browser on windows 10 on a real computer (not phone or tablet) that would be awesome!
    Thanks again!

• Ubi-Thrupney
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2246 posts

Thanks for coming back to me about this, @dave3d07 , and sorry for the delayed response.

You mentioned the game is changing your FOV on the fly. I understand you are not changing the FOV setting - is it changing itself when switching between these different activities?

Thanks for explaining the black bars further. I'd still need a screenshot showing your video settings, so I can see what resolution you're using - our teams will need information about your setup to be able to replicate the issue on their end, and pursue a solution. Can you tell me what happens when you've tried to upload screenshots to a post here on the forum? They can also be uploaded to any file or image sharing site of your choice, and a link sent to me here in the thread.

Let me know if I can clarify this at all!

Official Response
  • Dave3d07
    Original poster 76 posts

3840x1600 is my resolution, as posted above. 144hz. Max FOV (but it does it at default fov also, so it doesnt matter).
    The game automatically changes the FOV to whatever situation is going on, while playing the game (the game engine does this automatically based on what is going on, and no, I checked, my fov is still set at the highest possible setting (104? 109? Sorry, today is the 1st time I have been up out of bed since my last post, and saw the new 2nd dlc and played that instead of the regular game, and that doesnt have any cutscenes in it, and I am checking my posts before going back to bed).
    The game engine changes it in the engine, not in the settings ui. You know, like when you are walking the fov and resolution are correct, but when you go into a base camp (yours, not an enemy camp) it goes to 3rd person. THAT is the engine switching the fov and/or resolution. Or walking/running it is fine, but when you get into ANY vehicle (or on a horse), it switches to a different view and fov and resolution (although with the latest patch, the horse isnt that bad anymore, its just the vehicles, cutscenes, and bases now). Or, when it switches to a cutscene (no matter what you were doing before), it shows a small cutscene in a different resolution (guessing 1920x1080, because it is so small) with black bars all around it, just like the link I posted to another person on the forums that uploaded his screenshot further up this thread.
    Its the way the game was developed, and if you tell the programmers (devs) that, they will know exactly what you are saying. They know. They programmed it.
    It doesnt matter the video settings on ultrawidescreen monitors (although the game is set to my single monitor, I do NOT have multiple monitors, and the fov is at max, although that doesnt matter because it did the same thing at Default fov and at fov = 90), it is a widescreen/Ulra-Widescreen gaming issue that the devs never fixed. Trust me, they know HOW to fix it, and they know WHY it is like that, but I dont know why you guys/gals keep asking for more info. I have given my screen resolution and fov (heck, I have posted my whole rig specs before), and I KNOW they know what is going on. No developer of a video game can say they dont understand what is going on.
    Sorry, not mad, just aggitated that this keeps bouncing back and forth, when I know they have logged the bug already, before shipping, and I have VERY limited time to game (like, 1-2 times a week, or every other week, or in 3 weeks) because I am disabled, and all these bug logging I have done really eats into my game time, which I dont have much of, and I have a LOT of games (New and older) I have never played or have not finished, not just FC6. What takes others a few minutes to do, could/usually takes me 10-20x longer to do. 😞
    Next time I am on, I will try to get screenshots, although you cant really tell from a screenshot except the cutscene issue. Well, maybe you can, but it would probably be best looked at in a video (which I have NO intention of doing, nor CAN I do a video). The best bet at reproducing the issue is to actually spend money on a monitor that has the issue (mine is an Acer Predator X38), and play the game on a machine without ANY dev tools installed, nothing but os/motherboard/video card/peripheral/game drivers and an ulra/widescreen monitor. Not in vmware, not on a console, not on a dev or engineer machine, not on 1920x1080 or 4k, maybe on their kids gaming machine with an ultra/widescreen monitor like the one I said I have.
    As for the cutscene issue, again, its exactly the same as the other poster in the link. I doubt I would remember trying to even get a screenshot DURING a cutscene, since those tend to be SUPER immersive (except with black bars. Only because its the only different thing going on in the game after 15 hours of gameplay, the game gets pretty repetitive).
    I have 2 screenshots of my video layout, Quality setting, so I will upload what I have and get the rest later (I think these were taken last week or 2 weeks ago, so dont mind the build number. The Monitor one will be todays that I get and post later).

EDIT:
    OK, I uploaded Advanced video pic, and Monitor also.
    After this, I am done.
    I am moving on to another game if these stuttering and widescreen and texture loading issues dont get fixed pretty quickly.
    I am getting too frustrated over gameplay issues that should not have been issues on release day, and all this time later its the same thing: Can you provide us more info? Then provide, then next time: Can you provide us more info? Ad-Infinitum.
    Sorry, I know you are only doing your job, but the devs arent doing theirs, and are fobbing all this back and forth like a Tennis match, just so they can get the next dlc out and then forget the game and on to the next.
    Too buggy to play, too frustrated to play anymore.
    I will respond to each of my bugs one more time, but if its another 'More info' then I am done with these forums and the game.
    Way too frustrated. 4 hours to get, rename pics, upload them, and give all the info you guys ask for, when I could have been gaming for all that time.
    😞

Suggested Topics