ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• petek
    Original poster 94 posts

Win 10 PC, revalidated files twice - no change. Crash report sent. Any ideas?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• The-BloodyXIII
    5 posts

Same here, since the patch installed I see all the logos, have to press any key and after that it crashes to desktop.
    I don´t even see the Menu 😞

Windows 10
    AMD Ryzen 3800X
    AMD 6900 XT
    32 GB
    Samsung 970 EVO M2
    Odyssey G9 @240Hz

I thought after this update I can play this game for the first time without crashing since I own the colletors edition...

Edit: Going to reinstall... 102.64 GB Downloading...

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 4103 posts

Hi @petek @The-BloodyXIII I'm sorry to hear that Assassin's Creed Valhalla is crashing after installing the latest update.

Can you go through the PC troubleshooting steps in the support article here as there have been known to help resolve issues such as games not launching, crashes, freezing, FPS drops and much more.

Please confirm if these steps help to resolve the issue.

Official Response
  • petek
    Original poster 94 posts

@ubi-keo nope. uninstalled and now downloading again...... lot of bandwidth for a patch...

• Ubi-Keo

@petek Thanks for the update, if the issue still persists after reinstalling the game then could you please go through the PC troubleshooting in the link I provided previously.

Official Response
  • The-BloodyXIII
    5 posts

@Ubi-Keo

Just re-installed the whole game... Same issue.

I tried so far:

Windows is up-to-date
    ALL drivers are up-to-date
    Tried to start the game with admin rights (both exe ... ACValhalla.exe and ACValhalla_plus.exe)
    verify game files after new installation the 3rd time...
    closed all "not needed" background tasks and programs
    moved game to another partition

... still the same issue.

I was able to play before the update. Sometimes for 5 min., sometimes for 2 hours.

Is there a way to dive into a logfile or something? Looks like the game doesn´t write into Windows logs...

• longjohn119
    1120 posts

@the-bloodyxiii Try going into the Nvidia Control Panel (or the AMD equivalent) and setting a 120 FPS framerate limit on the game.

• The-BloodyXIII
    5 posts

Thanks for your answer @longjohn119 ,but sadly it doesn´t work...

BUT

I recognized the screen says something like "searching for Addons" (I can´t name it in english, I installed the game in german), just in the moment the game crashes.
    So I went to the game folder end renamed one "DLC Folder" after the other and...

If I rename the "dlc_146" Folder, the game starts to the menu !!!

Something in this DLC seems to block the game

What exactly is "dlc_146"? Is it possible it is (as it seems to be the smallest one) the Ultimate Pack or the Seasons Pass?

Edit: I will delete this folder especially and verify the game files again.

• RexTull
    1 posts

Same on my end. Crash to desktop during splash screen.
    I even went to extreme measures and uninstalled the game, recovered an earlier system image I made last month, re-installed the game and made sure it won't detect the valhalla folder in "My Documents" to give it an opportunity and generate a new one. Still same crash on start up.
    I'm exhausted and i'm out of ideas.

• The-BloodyXIII
    5 posts

@rextull try my last post 🙂

• longjohn119
    1120 posts

@the-bloodyxiii I don't even have a dlc_146 anymore (English version) .... it skips from 145 to 147 .....

In fact most of my dlc_xxx folders are now empty except dlc_20, dlc_207 and dlc_211

dlc_20 = Wrath of the Druids
    dlc_207 = Siege of Paris
    dlc_211 = looks to hold the seasonal events files

The rest seem to have been consolidated into the main game Forge files

• The-BloodyXIII
    5 posts

@longjohn119 After I deleted all "DLC_XXX" folders I started the game file check and I ended up with the same 3 like you.

Looks like this is solved for me now 🙂

Thank you all and I hope this can help anyone who discovers this problem!

• Ubi-Keo

Hi @the-bloodyxiii thanks for the update, I'm pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved. I will forward this feedback onto the Assassin's Creed Valhalla team.

@RexTull Can you confirm if you also have 'DLC_146' in your game files and if so did the advice provided by the_bloodyxiii work?

Official Response
  • JirnsumNL
    2 posts

@ubi-keo I was facing the same issue. Deleted all dlc folders (there was a whole bunch), did verification, and redownloaded the files. Now only have dlc_20, dlc_207, and dlc_211 folders. The game now starts again.

Additional info I can give is that I hadn't played the game since before the release of the Paris Siege DLC

• longjohn119
    1120 posts

@ubi-keo It appears that the installer isn't always deleting the contents of some of the folders. Instead of just trying to delete the contents and leaving the empty folders, deleting the unused folders which would also delete all the contents too, would probably be a better solution

• Sveitavargur
    1 posts

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to chime in that deleting the DLC folders and revalidating the install files fixed this issue for me. I previously had two DLC folders in my install directory but now only have one and which has a different version number. I don't remember the exact numbers but they were 1xx and 20x earlier while the new DLC folder is labeled 211 as of today.

So, in case anyone else is revisiting the game after uninstalling earlier then it's worth a shot. It seems that the latest patching process might be slightly borked as this happened on both of my PCs.

Thanks for the help.

• Groffin333
    1 posts

@ubi-keo well this one seems not to work for me.

1. Installed AC Valhalla some weeks ago before the latest update via EPIC Game Store.
    2. Played a few hours without any problems
    3. Remembered, that I had not finished AC Odyssey on my Steam-Account. Played it the last weeks, got the Crossover-Update and finished it two days ago.
    4. Yesterday, I started AC Valhalla via EPIC - got the Update here. --> Crashed after Starting Sequence "Press any key" --> "Looking for Ad-Ons"
    5. Verified Data via Ubi-Connect and via Epic-Games: not matters found.
    6. Got latest versions of Windows-Updates, GPU, etc.
    7. Restarted computer
    8. Crash continues every time I try to launch the game.
    9. Checked Data via EPIC --> Started Download again (approx 45 GB? Wondered, why it was not over 70 GB)
    10. Crash continued
    11. Looked here for a solution
    12. Deleted the DLC-Folders (there were many of them)
    13. Verified the data again via Ubi-Connect
    14. Game restored data (well, seems to be a complete new installation --> 71.1 GB) Now there is only on DLC-Folder: DLC_211.
    15. Tried to start the game. But NOW the game crashes even before the "Press any key"-Screen.

UPDATE 21:30
    Checked the data again via EPIC --> seems to detect some errors and starts the Repair-Function: Downloading 48 GB
    Well, I m frustrated. Stopped the Download and deinstalled the game.
    Started to install the Game again via EPIC. Download of 48.8 GB (I do not understand the difference of Download-Size via EPIC: 48.8 GB and Ubi-Connect: 71.1 GB).
    Another evening wasted.
    I guess, the game will crash again and verifying data via Ubi-Connect will cause another Download.

UPDATE 23:52
    Reinstallation complete. Starting Game via EPIC. UbiConnect opens and initializing Update.

UPDATE next day:
    Reinstallation and Update completed.
    Game starts without crash.
    Seems to work.
    Well - this means, that the Data verifier didn´t do its job. Only the complete deinstallation and reinstallation of the game did work for me.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2882 posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing the steps that eventually resolved your crashing issues, appreciate it!

@Groffin333 sorry you had to go through such extensive troubleshooting, glad to see it's working for now though!

Please let us know if you have any more issues or questions!

Official Response
  • gustaphsum41
    3 posts

@ubi-theberry any fixes coming in the future so i dont have to go through such arcane steps? cause i'm having the same problem, i literally spent more hours trying to fix the game than playing it

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2605 posts

Hello gustaphsum41 thanks for reaching out to us about the crashes you have experienced post update 1.4.2.

As this thread was previously about issues experienced previous to this update, could you let me know the following >

1. Did your computer restart itself, did the game or launcher close itself down, did your computer display a certain blank coloured screen, did the game freeze so you couldn't control anything, or does it perform any other strange behaviour not described?

2.Do you also receive any kind of warning message from the launcher, game, Windows, or software when the crash happens, or did the game launcher ask you to send a crash report? If any message is displayed to you after these crashes, a screenshot of this message will be very helpful to us if you can capture one.

This support article contains some of the most common fixes for game and launcher crashes and covers permissions, hardware, and software issues that could potentially cause these crashes. Please run through every step in this guide you have yet to try, to see if it can help resolve these crashes for you or at least narrow down possible causes >
    https://www.ubisoft.com/help?article=000061047

Should these steps not resolve this issue for you, please let me know so I can open a private support case for you, as we will need to gather your system files to look for more clues as to why this is affecting your game.

Official Response

Suggested Topics