ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 5 Likes/5 Replies/117 Views
    Ingel_Riday
    Original poster 21 posts

Title pretty much says it all. An entire new zone and almost two hours of content for free is a stunning 35-year anniversary gift to the fans. I'm genuinely shocked by it; I assumed this would be part of a Season Pass 2, not free. Jeez.

But boy has the marketing and attempted fan service fallen flat for me.

"Assassin’s Creed Crossover Stories explores the ties between Eivor and Kassandra, featuring new environments to explore and a rich new narrative. Continue the journeys of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s protagonists in two unique stories:

In Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s “Those who are Treasured,” you will play as Kassandra or Alexios after the events of the main game. Friends from the past will set you on a new journey involving a piece of Eden, a ride that will forever change your destiny.

In Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s “A Fated Encounter,” Eivor will travel to the Isle of Skye to investigate the root cause of terrible nightmares that appear to be caused by a close friend of hers. It is there that Eivor will cross paths with Kassandra and confront the legendary Misthios."

You know, 67% of your player-base chose Alexios as their protagonist, right? Your marketing was all Alexios. Your super-expensive foot and a half tall collector's edition statue was Alexios. Personally, I bought one of those because Alexios was so well-voiced and endearing; it's sitting in the family room on its own podium. I bought Odyssey on the PS4 and the PC (along with way too many cosmetic shop items for both copies) and I've put in 400 or so hours total. He was my choice and the one I spent inordinate amounts of time with in Greece. I loved that guy.

Thus, I'm personally not "continuing the journey of Assassin's Creed Odyssey's... protagonist in a [unique story]." No, I'm meeting Kassandra for the first time instead and feeling your passive disdain once more. I've watched the cutscenes for this DLC already; you have long gratuitous shots of Kassandra trying to look cool and callback dialogue that is clearly meant to make me go "yeah... Markos. Yeah... Barnabas. Good memories, good times." Except it isn't working, because those were good times with Alexios. This just feels off and alien.

Eh. You know, for a group that keeps talking inclusivity and fighting bias, excluding 67% of the player-base because they didn't pick the option you are personally biased towards is delightfully ironic. Oh, and I picked the male Eivor so "caused by a close friend of hers" is a great marketing line too. Marginalized twice in one press blurb. Thanks. 😛 I don't know why you do it, really. Picking a character has been a thing in Bioware games, Bethesda games, and so on for decades... and the trick is to just give the lead a cool gender-neutral title and make them a one-off. "The wastelander saved the capital wastes and wandered into the desert, never to be seen again." "Baby Tigre liberated the island of Yara from the Castillo family, only to gift it to Baby Espinosas that ran it right back into the ground. Eventually, Baby Tigre left for the warm beaches of Miami and gave up." 😛

Here, you canonize one choice in comics and novels almost no one reads (virtue signal til it goes out of style!) and then pretend anyone that didn't pick your canonized choice doesn't exist. It's the least inclusive thing you could do outside of patching Alexios and male Eivor out of the games, haha. I'll never understand it.

But yeah, thanks for the new zone. I look forward to future Valhalla / Whatever crossovers where male Eivor is treated like he never existed as a choice because I don't see this behavior stopping after three years of it.

edit addition: also, I'm being a little facetious. I understand why you do it. A. It wins you brownie points with a very politically-biased press corps. B. It likely caters to your own political biases. C. Ubisoft loves merchandising and multimedia hijinks. Comics, novels, board games, clothing trading cards, etc. It'd be too darn expensive, monetarily and intellectually, to go through all the effort to make the Raven Raider and then never include it in any future games / multimedia stories. So, Eivor Vannirsdottir and if a player didn't pick her, then to heck with 'em. Haha.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• RobDMaggot
    1 posts

@ingel_riday I'm right there with you, brother! When I started playing the new DLC, and saw Kassandra (Deimos) fighting Eivor, I was so confused! Where's my Alexios?? My girlfriend and I were really looking forward to seeing a familiar face within Valhalla's set timeline. We were so disconnected with THIS version of Kassandra, and I stopped playing with that awful realization that I played Odyssey for 400 hours as the wrong sibling! 😭
    You can import (re-create) your Hawke's gender and backstory from DragonAge 2 into Inquisition. Why don't we have that choice when it comes to the Eagle Bearer's gender in Valhalla? 😢

• melbye82
    7 posts

Yeah i am not bothering with this at all. It's disrespectful to give people a choice then tell them after investing time and money into it that they made the wrong choice. We can't forget, just like you are saying, 2/3 of the playerbase played Alexios that by itself should make him the canon choice. Either provide both or the majority choice

• veico_cm
    31 posts

@ingel_riday complaining about supposed "virtue signalling" when we all know what's happening at ubisoft behind the scenes is just cynical. the only reason there's a male character in odyssey (and valhalla) at all is because of the frat boy mentality in ubisofts marketing department. it would be really nice if the player base could just stop complaining about this stuff so the people responsible for this crap don't feel justified in their decisions

• AORUS2017
    255 posts

@ingel_riday

We should have given us a choice of character Eivor male/female the same for Alexios/Kassandra, it's just an opinion no point complaining no manger/marketing department/ dev team will see what's written on the forums only moderator/player base will read this and there won't be any feedback for their decision they made.

Suggested Topics