ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ThomPatterson
    Original poster 2 posts

The game was working fine for me until I did the 77 GB update today. Now it crashes on the splash screen. Windows 10 21H1. Up to date Radeon drivers. Verified files. Is there a log somewhere so I can debug this?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• dj256
    1 posts

This crash is also happening to me. I have a 6900 xt.
    The game crashes on the small window splash screen before it goes fullscreen.
    I uninstalled the game before the update and reinstalled on a different drive.
    I haven't been able to find a workaround, but I sent the crash logs via the popup.... It looks like there was an engine update in the latest patch, and perhaps they've changed graphics API initialization somehow; that could explain some of the reports here about early crashes and random crashes on early frames.

• ThomPatterson
    Original poster 2 posts

I was able to fix it! After uninstalling the game I found that there were still around 11.5 GB of files left in the game folder. Reinstalling the game or verifying game files didn't resolve anything. Only once I uninstalled the game and then manually deleted the game folder was I able to reinstall and play successfully.

The size of the "Assassin's Creed Valhalla" folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games" that is working for me is 76.5 GB.

Hope this helps!

• UbiKobold
    Ubisoft Support Staff 890 posts

Hello, and glad to see that you were able to resolve this @ThomPatterson! I am moving this thread over to Player Support in case any others experience this issue. @dj256 please let us know if the above steps did not work for you and our agents would be happy to further assist.

Official Response
  • longjohn119
    1035 posts

@thompatterson What is happening here is the update isn't removing the contents of some of the dlc_xxx folders. There should only be 3 dlc_xxx folders with content in them now

dlc_20 = Wrath of the Druids
    dlc_207 = Siege of Paris
    dlc_211 = Seasonal Events

All other dlc_xxx folders should be empty and can be deleted. If you find anything in any of the dlc_xxx folders other than the three listed above then delete those folders.

Another way you can do it although it takes longer is to just delete all the DLC_xxx folders and then verify the game files in the Connect App and it will replace the 1-3 missing dlc folders listed above. If you have the Season Pass you'll get all three if you don't then all you'll get is the dlc_211 folder

Suggested Topics