ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sam.SamFisher
    Original poster 89 posts

With the coming of Operation Motherland, we have seen the introduction of a couple of new weapons. Has your choice of favored weapons changed? What is your preferred carry and why?
    Here is my list by type:

Pistol; remains H&K USP Tactical .45cal. I think it's the best all-rounder. Fast target acquisition is great in game. Best sights, I think.

ASR; 416 Shorty 5.56mm w/under barrel Grenade Launcher. Just works so well for me. I did like the Remington ACR 5.56mm, but with the 416S you point, shoot, and forget about it.

DMR; used to be the MK14 Assault/Brown but OML broke it. It had the range of the G-28 but was more accurate and hit harder. Since OML you get bog standard MK14 and broken attachments. So, I've returned to old reliable, the H&K G-28 7.62mm w/T5X1 sight, after having giving the KAC M110 7.62mm a thorough field testing. I didn't mind the 110 except for the fact that at the far end of its range I got more of first shot failures.

SNR; DTA Recon A-1 Scout .338 Lapua Magnum. I think it fits the sweet spot for me in accuracy, distance, and mobility. [and it doesn't drag in the ground 😁. I tried and tested the SR-3M Tactical and liked it. Not much range, but almost no recoil. Would be a good weapon for the urban environment.

SMG; AAC Honey Badger 7.62mm w/Leupold Holo Sight. [a serious contender for "if I could only carry one weapon"].

STG; Never use one. Though if I ever get the under-barrel attachment, I would use that.

LMG; Never use one.

So overall, while I've found the new included weapons to be a good addition to the game. None have found their way to replacing my go to choice of carry but I don't think that rules them out completely. We each have our own gameplay style and there is a good assortment of weapons. It's just too bad Ubi had to break most of them to fit some metric I have zero understanding of.

Let me know what you think and your choices and why.

Sam.SamFisher, out.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• AngriusMaximus
    41 posts

@sam-samfisher

I've generally used all the guns just for variety but have settled on the following out of sheer utility and ease of use.
    Please note that I do NOT do raids and despise them so my loadouts tend to be geared towards baseline exploration gameplay.
    Also, my primary shooting style tends to be either semi-auto or burst. The only time I full-auto mag dump is vs UGVs and Behemoths.

Pre-OML

Pistol: P45 for good all round handling / sights / recoil pattern. Alternatively USP Tactical for better sight picture but less utility at longer ranges than the P45 due to its muzzle climb and spread.
       Am avoiding the FN 5.7 and the Desert Eagle due to ammo sharing issues, ultra high recoil/instability and lack of suppressor in the latter case.

ASR: K1A w/UBGL for the higher damage, relatively fast Semi-Auto ROF and relatively long range. The UBGL is for 1-shotting incoming enemy cars or breaking off drone armor.
       Occasionally the Mk17 w/UBGL for a solo gun that still hits relatively hard and can effectively engage at both CQC and longer ranges.
       For fun, the M4A1 w/UBGL and a Burst/Auto trigger for an SMG-esque ASR that can handle UGVs.

SNR: M82 for the faster refire rate, especially useful if caught at close ranges with no time to swap guns and the fact that it can down Azrael's in 1 shot while not breaking prone-camo when shooting due to its semi-auto action.
       The increased damage also helps ALOT versus UGVs compared to the weaker SNRs
       Note - (All bolt-actions break prone camo, and the touted range king, the Tac50 takes 2 shots to down Azraels, tested personally multiple times)

DMR: Mk14 Assault Brown [ Mk14(Ab) ] w/UBGL - Sometimes ran as a solo multi-purpose weapon or with an SMG, not often used beyond pure exploration and occasional whim due to the high recoil even on semi-auto.
       Occasionally the Scorpio Scout for its stupidly fast bolt action with high damage, but often swapped for the M82 due to the above-mentioned damage, and the fact that it seems to have a random shot cone even when aimed, with multiple instances of first-shot misses even with body shots on stationary infantry.

SMG: Honestly not used much due to range issues and ASRs providing better versatility but otherwise they are the Vector for the higher CQC ROF when needing to definitely kill something ASAP.
       The MP7 as a jack-of-all-trades SMG with relatively good range, but excellent handing / accuracy and ROF even in semi-auto.
       Occasionally used the Honey Badger and PDR for their higher damage, but often outclassed by ASRs for longer ranged accuracy and versatility.

STG: Unused, although the RU-12SG was fun with the suppressor for breach-and-clear / CQC stealth assault on the gas factories.

LMG: Generally unused for the same versatility reasons as the SMGs but if pushed, T95 for the faster reload and better handling while still doing decent damage and having good round count. Lower ROF also enhances ammo conservation in firefights.
       Occasionally the L86A1 if I want to run a 7.62mm ASR / DMR instead of the usual 5.56mm versions, for the same reasons as the T95.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post-OML

The introduction of the weapon class optimisations helped to pare down the different gun types to the following due to not having to worry as much about weapon accuracy / handling.
    Note that my primary rationale is as usual versatility and utility, although I will admit that the new OML guns are fun.

Pistol: M1911 w/Extended mag for a stupidly stable, high capacity, heavy damage pistol that is viable for stealth, yet can mag-dump if needed vs the new armored targets like the OML Bodark breachers / dreadnoughts.
       The new gun class optimisation basically makes the weapon a semi-auto .45 caliber ultra-compact CQB rifle substitute, although I will admit the poorer sight picture tempts me to revert to the P45.

ASR: M4A1 w/UBGL and 100-round box mag and semi/auto trigger for an ultra-general-purpose ASR/SMG/LMG hybrid that can handle stealth, open group combat and vehicles / UGVs at nearly any range.
       Again, the optimisation has basically negated the M4A1s high recoil and allowed it to function as a makeshift high accuracy / stability LMG substitute that reloads MUCH faster than the LMGs, yet retaining an ROF to rival SMGs for CQC work, even on semi-auto.
       Occasionally the Mk17 w/UBGL for the same reasons as pre-OML.
       May swap the Mk17 to the AC-AR when unlocked if testing indicates better recoil and shot groupings, although range is an issue.
       K1A on occasion if using ASR's as secondary guns due to pre-OML reasons.
       If affordable, ACR Assault if wanting to LARP GRFS, or just run a solo 5.56mm ASR due to its sheer versatility, ease of handling and damage output. Can function as K1A substitute, but $$$ issues.

SNR: M82 for pre-OML reasons, and also how the optimisation also heavily reduces muzzle climb allowing for even faster follow up semi-auto shots.
       NOTE - more or less replaced with DMRs due to OML's greater focus on heavy armor assault / stealth infantry requiring multiple rapid shots.
       Likely only to be used if sniping UGVs and/or if my primary ASR uses 7.62mm.

DMR: G28 for general purpose range work due to the high 7.62mm ammo pool, low recoil and fast refire rate. The ability to basically function as a long range rifle that still allows for decent CQC work if caught is very appealing.
       If affordable on my character(s), the M110 to replace the G28 due to having basically the same stats, but slightly better range and the ability to swap buttstocks to better mitigate different recoils or increase ADS in CQC work.
       NOTE - The Mk14 Assault variants are no longer considered due to having the UBGL removed, which coupled with the inability to use most of the sniper scopes and higher recoil renders it LESS useful than the baseline Mk14 as a general purpose solo gun.
       DMRs used only if primary ASR is 5.56mm to avoid ammo sharing issues.

SMG: Generally unused, see ASR rationale above, although the MP7 and Honey Badger may be used on occasion for CQC fights.

STG: Unused

LMG: Unused, see ASR rationale, although T95 could be used as spare high-capacity 7.62mm ASR alternative.

Do let me know what you think.

• Sam.SamFisher
    Original poster 89 posts

@angriusmaximus You seem to have yourself sorted.
    I too have tried to use all of the weapons the game offers, but honestly there are still a few I haven't gotten to, or tried very early on and have totally forgotten what I thought about them.
    I have three load outs that I rotate according to mission type, but each is still stealth orientated [silencers on everything]. My primary is a DMR. ASR's and SMG's are my back up. It's not uncommon for me when taken out a convoy or bag-man in vehicle to be jumped by three or more enemy vehicles with turrets.
    I've only accomplished the class levels up to ten. So, there are a few weapons I haven't had the opportunity to use.
    My game style is to peel the onion. I begin with nearby patrols [nothing worse than having your infil ruined by some radioman out with a patrol unit], then the guard towers, and work my way around until I've cleared the target area of enemies. Then I do whatever for the mission. Then I destroy all the remaining automated defensive measures. Before exfil I gather up what ammo, meds, skittles and weapons crates there are. When I leave there is no crate unopened and I'm carrying max load I could scrounge. [If we could ravage the women, I'd throw one over my shoulder. 😁]
    I play like its real world, with real world consequences. I run with no HUD, except for mission data and ammo count. No minimap. Wounding on often, Enemies on advanced and 30 round mags only.
    I would run enemies on extreme but I've found that the only real difference between advance and extreme in mission is that you face more drones on extreme. Doesn't do much for realism IMHO.
    One of these days I will build a character and run the entire game loud and proud just to have that experience. Though right now my challenge is to manage a stealth mission without my AI teammates ruining it for me 😁.

Sam.SamFisher, out.

• AngriusMaximus
    41 posts

@sam-samfisher

Agreed on the stealth aspects. I run ALL my weapons with suppressors if at all possible (only reason I am contemplating the Desert Eagle Survival) and I tend to play similarly with you, ala peeling the onion. Primary difference being that I generally settle for a single direction approach with AI teammates as synch shot homies for coordinated 4-man takedowns using the DMR / SNR on roving patrols and priority targets like Radiomen and the new Bodark cloakers, followed by the enemy Snipers / RPGs. After that it's sneaky Panther time with the ASR / Pistol combo.

Also I did use to run 30-round magazines, but found that due to the stupid tankiness of the UGVs in enemy camps / patrols, a 50-round magazine offered better overall utility, with the reload penalty being low enough to be offset by the benefit of having essentially an extra magazine to shoot before needing to reload.

Generally, if I do have to run loud (area defense etc) the same guns still seem to work better overall due to their handling characteristics. Also, unless you WANT to be swiss-cheesed, running loud in this game seems closer to a death sentence on anything harder than Hard difficulty, ESPECIALLY with the new Bodark units like the damn cloakers 😑 .

While I don't have all the class weapons unlocked (i.e. not hit class level 20) , I did pick up the Mk14 Assault, Koblin and M48 SAW drops for my primary Chara via 1-time Raid, and main diff from the MTX Mk14 (Ab) is the ability to swap buttstocks and barrels, which I do admit moderately mitigate recoil issues.

As for the other class specific weapons, they do not really seem worth the grind to level 20 due to the general lack of options compared to their baseline counterparts (Tactical SMG varients) and the seemingly WORSE handling in the case of the Mk48 SAW with no difference in damage compared to the baseline version.

Even the Tavor Scout doesn't seem worth it due to its low ROF and damage combo, which due to the restricted Semi/Burst triggers of the Scout-class guns, actually puts it behind others like the M4A1 / HK416 scout in terms of both stealth TTK, DPS and open-combat utility.

The only potential reason I would have to play the Raid would be for the Koblin, M82 Quantum, CSFP BAAL and the Over-under slug shotgun, and even then, their perceived benefits don't really seem to justify the sheer pain-in-[censored] effort. This is especially the case with the Koblin, which can more or less be replaced with the Honey Badger unless you are drone hunting.

Looking forward to seeing others replies on their loadouts and rationale for it too. 😊

Suggested Topics