ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Ajahang
    Original poster 8 posts

Looking for insights, not just complaining...

I typically stay away from posting negative posts, because I appreciate the work that goes into making these games.

Just started Valhalla about 20 hours ago, and I'm lost. In all AC games, I felt like the story was clear, the quests were there for the taking, and progress as you see fit.

In Valhalla, it seems like the game tried to do too much, and lost the story a bit.

Outside of me starting a new settlement because the King's son was upset that he's not the next in line, I don't really know what else I'm doing all this for.

Am I missing something? Will something in the story come up as I progress? (Please no spoilers)

The "Why" was clear in other games, and in this one, the "why" just isn't there for me yet.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Parlagulf
    13 posts

@ajahang Hello!

I definitely understand where you're coming from when you say you're a bit lost in terms of where the story goes from here. I was in a similar position when I first left Norway too. What I did was to just keep following along with Randvi and Sigurd's quests and whatever quests, mysteries, wealths, and artifacts you see on the map. (The artifacts markers were easy to miss in Norway and vastly snowy areas because like the marker, the map was also white, haha.) I'm not sure if you've gotten to it yet, but the game mechanic with Randvi's map table in the longhouse is a good way to track your main storyline progress. Also, keep up with the sidequests that happen in Ravensthorpe, lots of interesting things and cool storylines start there! It probably feels really slow at the point in the game that you are, but once you start exploring England and meeting new characters, you'll get invested! It also speeds up and gets much clearer as to what your goals are later in the story, and you get to take part in some quite exciting things! 🙂 Also, if you haven't left Norway yet, do not try to complete all the map markers! It'll be much easier later on, when you become super powerful.

I'm 122 hours into this game and am still discovering new things and having a grand time running around! A tip from me is that if you're having trouble with an event or a quest (like a cairn lol), don't be afraid to take a break and even look up help online. Also, in some areas it might be a bit difficult to see, (like a dark cave), hold T to use your torch, or just spam the Odin's Sight ability (hold V).

This game fundamentally is different from I'd say AC1 thru Rouge. I think Unity, Odyssey, and Origins have a similar vibe to how Valhalla plays. It is definitely not on the linear path that Ezio's stories had us traverse, and is very open world. I think this aspect is what hangs up a lot of people who've played the earlier games, they feel as though the series, as it branches out into more different gaming genres, is becoming "less pure" to what AC1 or Prince of Persia felt like. Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing to have games be more RPG than they were before, and I love the amount of customization involved now! Like the gender, boats, armor, mount, and bird can be customized to be whatever you want, be it the silly unicorn boat in the Helix store, or a sick new raven skin. This customization aspect is also very different from the earlier games, and I can see how some people might just want a singular hero who looks the same throughout their game(s). I can also see how this freedom of customization can feel weird in crossover events if the character from another game used did not look like or was not the same gender of character they played in the other game.

• tcarlisle2012
    183 posts

@ajahang Yes, I think the same kind of happened to me. The story stops at a point and doesn't continue until you go back to Randvi and pick another region to pledge, etc.

For me, the issue was that sometimes when you walk up to Randvi, you don't always get the prompt to interact with her. So I presumed I had done as much as I needed to through her map.

Well, it turns out I was far from done.

But that misunderstanding really wasted some time. I was just stuck, not leveled high enough to do the DLC's (though I did anyways), and not leveled enough to do all the order members, etc.

• Ajahang
    Original poster 8 posts

@parlagulf thanks for the great insight, the table with Randvi was the key 🙂

• Ajahang
    Original poster 8 posts

@tcarlisle2012 So true! Had same issue as well. Nothing was happening so I just turned off the game. When I started it back up, it showed a video clip... assuming that bug was holding me back.

Suggested Topics