ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DJCBS
    Original poster 9 posts

I started playing AC Valhalla Ultima Edition yesterday. I was very eager to finally play it now that I finally have the time for it but, unfortunately, I can't.
    The default controls on the game are absolutely horrid and unintuitive, specially for us who have played the previous iterations of the game. I tried to adapt to it but I just simply can't.

The game gives us the option to "remap" the controls but if we change ANYTHING it immediately enters into conflict with another control. It's a nightmare and unusable.

I find it inadmissible that Ubisoft hasn't provided an alternative way of controlling the game like you did with Odyssey and Origins. And I know for a fact this has been requested by more than one player before.

So I'm writing here you to ask Ubisoft Support (since all other methods are "not available at the moment") for a list of changes to the controls I can make to make the game playable at all without conflicts.
    'cause currently, I simply can't play it. It's NOT enjoyable AT ALL. And I'm not going to waste my precious time tyring to fight the horrible controls of the game as they are.
    I'm also most definitely not going to ever buy premium editions of your games before trying them...if I buy another AC game at all.

A set of alternative controls should have been provided out of the box.
    Since it wasn't, I'm requesting it through support. If someone should be able to provide it, it's Ubisoft. Shouldn't be some random guy on Reddit.
    Otherwise I will have to just resell the game and go around writing negative reviews of it everywhere that I can.
    'cause no one should buy this game as it stands.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2973 posts

Hey @djcbs

I'm sorry that you don't like the default control scheme. You are right that if you remap the controls, changing something will enter a conflict with something else, but then you have to move that button to something else, and then the next button to something else, and so on, until there are no more conflicts.

I don't have a list of alternative control schemes you can set up, you may not like that either if I did, but this is why there is the option to let you set what buttons you want to use. I will however, forward a suggestion to the game team to add other control options already built in that players can choose from.

Official Response
  • DJCBS
    Original poster 9 posts

@Ubi-Froggard Thanks for getting back to me.
    Quite a shame that the alternative controller scheme wasn't put in the game and that developers won't be adding it either, apparently.

As such, I've now resold the game (perks of not buying digital editions :P) and am unlikely to buy any upcoming AC games going forward, to be honest. This was a terrible experience.

But thanks for your help!

• Ubi-LadyBlue
    Ubisoft Support Staff 545 posts

On behalf of @Ubi-Froggard and myself, we're sorry you've had such a terrible experience @DJCBS.

I completely understand your frustration and apologize that you don't feel you will buy any further AC games because of it. If you should change your mind or need anything else, please reach out to either of us and we'll be happy to do what we can.

Official Response
  • A Former User
    0 posts

I find the controls to be impeccable. I can easily reach everything, perfection. But it's tight. I too wanted to change the controls. I wanted to dodge on left bumper but because that's the special and parry, a double, it cannot be mapped to the pad. I don't remember exactly what I was trying but I remember that I couldn't because it's a double button. Or I believe it's due to that. There was something... Anyway I worked with it and eventually found it to be ideal as is if I want to reach everything and manage. It could be different, supposedly, but I actually think this setup is ideal. Very well thought out, hat is off to those who planned it.

• DJCBS
    Original poster 9 posts

@Polyedra Having the light and heavy attacks on the right triggers instead of X and Y was extremely unnatural to me. Those two were the ones that completely broke it for me. All the other changes to the traditional scheme (dubbed "Alternate" in Origins and Odyssey) were odd but I could deal with. But the attacks on the triggers I just couldn't.
    Those sort of moves require quick action which I simply can't do with the index finger and even less with the middle finger. The thumb can do that much more naturally.

But I'm glad it worked for you.
    From the little I played of Valhalla it promised to be a very cool game (not at all Assassin's Creed, but I didn't mind that in Odyssey already). Unfortunately for me the only available controller scheme made the game completely unplayable.

• A Former User
    0 posts

@DJCBS Well.. I think that attacks are best on those. Heavies require a bit more planning so it's good it's on the trigger as it's somewhat slower. The dodge rest on X and that's ideal because I don't need to look around, aiming, while I'm dodging and it's the closest button to the stick.
    Neither Y or X would be good for attacks for that simple reason: Aiming. I am always aiming when I'm attacking, I never target. The reason for that is because of groups: My movement is hampered from the pivotal targeting. I'll bump into some guy strafing around. But it's good for bosses.
    You run it differently, and for that I agree it requires a different setup. You always target. I conclude this because otherwise you'd be troubled aiming. I never adopted your style but it must require you to constantly switch target. I believe that will be slightly random and if there's a target deep within a group that you simply must reach it would be troublesome.
    I never feel the attacks are slow. I ran 12000 enemies with dual daggers which is the fastest weapon combination in the game. However, for that: Why not let us hold the right bumper like we can the triggers and the left bumper? Stupid I think, after 12k -.- I macroed it for a bit but I got a different program now and while it's more advanced and supposedly should be able to macro fine, Valhalla does not receive the input if I do. Since the program is superior to my previous method I just have to run it as is.

In my opinion: You should get Valhalla because it's lit. And then practice free aiming. It's useful and the future as well as the present. That's my opinion. My apologies for sticking my nose in your gaming though. I've actually had an irl brawl regarding this. It's a sensitive topic: Controller style. The debacle somewhat surrounded Zelda, the fairly recent one on Switch where you have an open world, and there was a telling to me on how I would have to target or I couldn't play it. I disagreed and played it just fine without targeting. Those guys, however, also have an inferior grip of the controller as they do not keep their fingers at all times on the bumpers and triggers; which requires two fingers on each set of course. They only use a single finger and switch between and that's a lot slower, naturally. That's also something that needs to be practiced for a few days or so before it gets natural.
    But of course.. there's a resistance to re-learning things, I know that. I mostly just play games and now controller is the hottest thing. I don't even play a game if I can't use a controller, unless it's a strategy game or so. I have plenty of time getting acquainted with new styles if they're superior. That's why I got the ps5 controller and would never use a different one: Because with that one I may reach the D-pad while steering, using a clawgrip. It's essential to be able to reach all buttons at all times, for control. That's also a point they refused to accept. There was more tension around than that, however, personal things.. it ended with an actual attack on me! Yea, I sure was provocative.. I was. I know that. But I do not intend to provoke you by writing this. Rather I want to lend a hand here, give some hints on what you can do and why it is better. Perhaps it isn't, I don't actually know, but it works for me, I never feel I am losing control or am slow or otherwise have issues. On the contrary I feel I have control and speed, and that's what I want to share with you.
    Thank you for your reply and thank you for reading what I have to say, and for your polite response. Slice of heaven for me to write about my favorite topic of all times: Controlling games.

• A Former User
    0 posts

Yes, that's what I think; in earnest. Sorry about that. Terrible business.
    Edit: I'm terribly sorry if you literally can't do it with your fingers. Forgive my ignorance.
    And I think that they should allow whatever customisation, regardless if it breaks the game or not. It's this though: You might break your experience of the game together with customising away vital options, perhaps. The buttons are optimised. There's been a lot of thought put into how it is arranged and that's key when designing the game itself. If, suddenly, you can't use a feature because you've customised away that option when you started the game and things were simpler; you might quit and be upset how the game turned more advanced than you enjoyed. That's your pitfall, of course, but there's a saying that "Players can break their own experience." which is why developers does not allow cheating for the most part. The players will cheat the game so that it's not fun anymore. That means they won't purchase the expansion or future iterations also. That's somewhat true in this instance as well. In DoR you get additional buffs, for example, and if you can't reach those buffs due to prior customisation you may, perhaps, not be able to complete the expansion. There's more possibilities too, many more actually, with this setup; meaning that they could possibly add more buffs or moves you can make. Moves that could be inaccessible if someone have made a custom setup that just will not work together with the new thing. Perhaps there's technical issues too, I don't know. Regardless, my opinion is that it's on the player to decide how the game should be controlled anyway. It's better.

• DJCBS
    Original poster 9 posts

@Polyedra I understand your points. But it really doesn't work for me. I'm not getting any younger and strength specially on the middle finger isn't what it used to be.
    The problem with the remapping is precisely that: it enters into conflict with other button combos. Which is why I asked for Ubisoft's developers to add the Alternate controller scheme back into the game. Only the devs are aware of all the combos and can provide an alternative that doesn't break playability of the game.

In this case it was certainly aggravated by the fact that while the developers gave us an option to remap the controls, they clearly developed that feature with only PC gamers in mind.
    Because I use an Xbox Elite Controller, which has additional buttons that could be used to mitigate the conflicts, but Assassin's Creed doesn't recognise the Elite Controller. It just assumes it's the same as the triggers. Which means that if I put in the 4 additional back triggers on the controller, the game will ignore them as independent buttons and just duplicate the 4 triggers already on the top of the controller.
    The only place I could see myself being able to play Valhalla would be on a PC. But I haven't built my PCs for gaming in over 2 decades. My current PC is beefed up for graphical design and image rendering, not gaming. And, well, much like you I've now grown more fond of playing games with a controller.
    Maybe if they update Valhalla for the upcoming PS5 DualSense Edge and that ends up making the Xbox Elite Controller also work as it should with the additional triggers, I'll be able to buy a copy of Valhalla again and finally play it with a remapped controller.
    As it stands, it's not happening (specially as I've now sold my game :P). Let's see what happens.
    I'm now enjoying replaying the previous games - now with barely existing loading screens - on the PS5 (I played them originally on the Xbox One series).

• A Former User
    0 posts

@DJCBS I use the DS4 program. It has many options. I'm not sure if it can help but I thought I'd tell anyway.
    That you can't remap into those additional buttons would [censored] me off to no end, sorry to learn it's like that.

Ok so this guy is an inspiration and someone that trancends his weakness:

But he must have a genuine interest and want. And also: He sure would have a difficult time utilising the bumpers and triggers. He could never play a game like Valhalla but Street Fighter he actually can excel in as it is simple enough.
    He shows how much we can adapt to circumstance and capacity.

For me it took some weeks of aching fingers, months perhaps as I play a lot when I do play. If you're only moderately crippled you can do this, I'm sure of it! But if you're heavily impaired it won't work and for all out there who are: There should be options for the controller! Some have problems, severe problems. Perhaps they only have thumbs, for example; in that case they could only use the sticks and the buttons on the sticks. Then they could play the game if they could map light attack to one stick and dodge to another. Don't need more than that.. only one more button for interaction.. I mean that can be dealt with slowly so it's not a problem.
    Anyway, customisation should be allowed. Some have real difficulties and this should be acknowledged.
    Edit: And like you don't need to have a heavy impairment to enjoy customising your game experience, of course. Just making a case for those that literally can't do some things. Lots of those guys love games. But then again, who doesn't.

• DJCBS
    Original poster 9 posts

@Polyedra Oh God, no! I'm fortunate enough to not have any serious issue like that or any serious impairment. I'm just getting old and unfortunately our bodies have this awful tendency of deteriorating with age.
    And I absolutely don't have that guy's drive nor commitment to any game. Nowadays I game to relax (which is why I don't do multiplayer) and wind off at the end of the day. Which is also why my tolerance for this sort of thing - like unnatural controller schemes - is very low. My time for playing is very limited and if when I manage to sit down and play something I still have to fight the game's controllers, that makes the experience utterly unenjoyable. And so I move on to something else. I really no longer have the time (or patience, honestly) to have to constantly re-learn how to play games, specially in long lasting franchises like Assassin's Creed, where I've been playing for years and years and until Valhalla the basic moves were the same from one game to the other, thus leaving only the new things in the learning curve.

But I agree, regardless of having any sort of impairment or not, developers should be a bit more conscious about the need to offer alternatives to whatever standard controller scheme they use. Specially as games are becoming more and more intricate and requiring more and more key combos. Some people have impairments of some sort, some people are old, some people have no time to be fighting a game they should instead be enjoying.

Suggested Topics