ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• SkylarAion
    Original poster 7 posts

I know I'm not the best gamer in the world but I have decent reaction times and a good understanding of game mechanics in general, and yet I've never had the kind of difficulty with combat that I'm having with Valhalla. Your basic, small enemies are no problem but as soon as they start getting bigger, I have bigger and bigger problems.

Some enemies are too quick and manage to dodge every attack I make, no matter how fast my weapon is. If I can actually manage to shoot them using my controller they shake it off before I can get any real damage in.

Enemies that carry heavy shields are like brick walls. I've tried every type of attack with every type of weapon but I can't seem to consistently break their guard without dodging behind them and sneaking in a backstab, but they recover pretty quickly from that too and I very quickly run out of stamina.

I hate the stamina mechanic. The last two AC games got me used to dodging and now I can't do that without leaving myself completely open to attack when my stamina runs out. I find the parry system unreliable; the timing is nearly impossible to figure out, either I'm too early and end up using a special attack/block or I'm too late and get hit. That is if the enemies ever stop using unblockable attacks. On the rare occasion when I manage to get the timing right, the enemy recovers far too quickly for my liking.

Against bosses, every time I take a swing they close the gap between us and hit me. If I use a long or heavy weapon it's too slow and the enemy dodges. If I use faster weapons they're too weak to break enemy guard. I've tried skills that are supposed to knock enemies down but the big ones aren't bothered. I've tried every weapon combination in the game, single and dual-wield, light and heavy weapons. Shield and no shield but every one falls short against an enemy that's even remotely decent in combat. Adrenaline abilities are the only thing that reliably break enemy guard but I can't generate enough adrenaline to use them consistently.

I feel like I'm trying to fight using half a controller but as far as I can tell I'm not missing anything and every internet search just tells me I'm apparently the only one who can't figure this out. The only usable advice I've found says to just come back when I've levelled up but I don't think outlevelling the content should be the solution. The enemies I'm having trouble with are all within 15 levels of me and they don't have skulls by their names so I should be able to beat them without too much trouble, right?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ChuckKatse
    353 posts

Check your difficulty and level scaling settings and adjust if too high for your play style.

• longjohn119
    1340 posts

@skylaraion Try using Dive of the Valkeries on shielded enemies. I tie that ability to the same button as dodge so if you accidently miss you'll still dodge and if you accidentally trigger it when you mean to dodge there is no harm done because you;ll pummel your enemy instead. I don't really have any good videos since recording this game is too convoluted due to all the chests being hid behind puzzles but I do have a couple of bug videos (arrows stuck in hand) where I use it several times

• OrcBeard92
    181 posts

@skylaraion Try using your bow as well, and aiming for weak spots. Some enemies like shielded types, or quick runners can easily be put down by shooting a weakspot to break their guard, then finishing them. Alternatively, try parrying more. Valhalla is much more enjoyable when you're playing it a bit more tactically. Attacking constantly isn't always the best policy. Though regaining stamina can be gained by landing a fast attack on an enemy too. Useful for a boss fight.

• teh_greg
    91 posts

Hi,

my main recommendation would be to study the parry mechanic (L1 on Playstation controller). After you master the timing (which can be adjusted in the difficulty menu) the game becomes much easier.

You don't need a shield to parry and honestly, it just feels too cumbersome to use. I use either scythes, big axes or spears for maximum offensive capabilities.

After you parry the enemy then you can easily just finish them off with a hard hitting weapon as they become vulnerable and stagger for a second or so.

Parry is essential to defeat those fast guys that dodge every attack and the small/big shield guys. There are other methods available later on: spamming dodge to circle them around, setting them on fire, poison or Paris DLC bow ability. Another skill that works on shield guys is the "throw weapon" skill because it hits them even if they are blocking. I don't remember the name but you can pick up the weapon of a defeated enemy and throw it at someone. Also, the skill called Harpoon Impalement ignores enemy shields.

Regular enemies and wooden shield guys can be defeated by light attack spam.

I'd recommend parry against spear guys too because they will do a quick swipe after you hit them once and knock you back.

For archers or the fat guys throwing rocks there's an ability that allows you to catch projectiles and throw them back at the attackers.

Flail guys can be parried even when they are not attacking and are just swinging their flail in their "ready stance".

Dodging at the right moment also gives you a short window to attack the heavy hitting enemies (and there is a skill that slows down time so you can hit the enemy more times).

I don't use heavy attacks as they are slower and opposed to light attacks, they do not restore your stamina.

Also, from my experience, power level matters more than your gear if you are not playing with scaling enemies. I remember being frustrated with higher level enemies during my campaign playthrough but with my power level high enough I was able to defeat enemies even with poorly upgraded weapons.

I managed to stitch a short video showing these things, I hope it helps a bit.

• tcarlisle2012
    222 posts

I think what is happening here is what I had happen. This game throws some hard bosses at you long before your character is built up with power. And if memory serves, one of those early difficult battles is actually impossible unless you parry. The only way you can damage the enemy, is after a parry.

When I was at that point, I had a character with an axe in one hand, and a shield in the other, and as hard as I tired, it didn't seem parry was possible with the shield. Maybe it would have been if I had the axe in the non-dominant (left) hand, but I had a shield there. As soon as I shed the shield and replaced it with another axe, things started working much better.

It won't be too long before the stamina issues stops becoming a serious barrier, because as you get ability points you can assign them, and you will always want to make it a priority to choose something that increases stamina or duration.

Also, the gear can be upgraded, etc.

Once I discovered all these things, it wasn't long before the game became too easy.

This game, like the others before it, the combat breaks down to "dodge towards the enemy so you end up behind, attack... attack..... dodge towards enemy.... attack.... attack.... lather, rinse, & repeat.

That is especially the case when fighting one bearing a shield, or the pole dudes that will use their poles to block frontal attacks.

Suggested Topics