ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sock_Monkey
    Original poster 489 posts

As you probably know, grenade damage in this game sucks royally, which has always made challenges involving grenade kills a major PITA. I've twiddled with this build on and off for months and (so far) this is the probably the most effective combination I've put together yet. It's still wanting, but as it's a very narrowly-focused build I have refused to waste any optimizations on it - hence a few less-than-ideal attributes.

A couple notes that are probably obvious to veterans of the game, but in in case any newer players read:

1. The build uses Demo specilization and frag grenades.
    2. #1 is important because it's almost impossible to build in enough explosive damage to even kill reds, BUT if the grenade initiates bleed, AND the NPC dies from the bleed, it'll still count as a grenade kill.
    3. For reason #2, building in some +status effects is also beneficial.
    4. Mad Bomber skill is critical, not just for the ability to "cook" grenades and the radius increase, but because every grenade kill refunds you the grenade. Otherwise you'll be returning to a safe spot every 5 minutes to refill on ordnance.

The build is pretty wimpy overall and thus I probably wouldn't even dare to try missions on anything above Hard. What I found was most effective was to run around the street and look for basic activities (territory control, propaganda broadcasts). I'd find a fairly safe hiding spot out of the way, "cook" a frag grenade and drop it into the nearest cluster of reds. Any one within the radius would bleed down after one hit, usually giving me 3-4 kills right off

After the first grenade detonation throw out a decoy. It works very well for NPCs, and if they havn't spotted you yet they'll all go for the decoy, allowing you to cook more frag grenades and pick them off one or two at a time.

The drone is just a fixer, which (combined with Sawyer's kneepads) is about the only thing that makes it viable if they do spot you.

Using this build and method I was able to get the GE required 50 grenade kills in well under 15 minutes.

undefined
    undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefined

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SuicideHero793
    23 posts

Eclipse build? Vile Mask (if it works)? If Bleed from Demo grenade works as intended kill, transfer should work to complete challange as well. Just an idea.

• piksel8x8
    51 posts

@sock_monkey I would use an Acosta's Go-Bag. You may try to incapacitate mobs with electricity, iem, fire, blind… just before the grenade explodes.
    The Frag has a small radius and is easier to escape. Firewall spec. gives high survivability and the Cluster that has a very large range.
    If you focus on status effect (from grenade) the Survivalist spec. and its incendiary grenades may be also a good option (and mender mine)

• dagrommit
    894 posts

Alternative cheese method for challenges: Demolitionist + one China Light piece + concussion grenades. Set Viewpoint Museum to story mode. You get four grenade kills with one grenade at the start. Reset. Repeat.

• N3mB0t
    934 posts
    Alternative cheese method for challenges: Demolitionist + one China Light piece + concussion grenades. Set Viewpoint Museum to story mode. You get four grenade kills with one grenade at the start. Reset. Repeat.

this is the way , also to fill up on nades again you just gotta equip a diferent build and back to the explosive one to get a new full set of nades.

• Sock_Monkey

@dagrommit Interesting. I hadn't thought of "cheesing" at that level. It might be even quicker than my method of running through the streets.

Have you ever tried to "speed" finish 50 `nade kills? Curious if it'd be faster than my method (or not).

• Noxious81
    915 posts
    (...) Set Viewpoint Museum to story mode. You get four grenade kills with one grenade at the start. Reset. Repeat.

As we still have some guys with older consoles in the clan we try to avoid loading screens – thus we are using Grand Washington Hotel for exactly this method. You can run up to the first 3 guys, kill them with one nade, quickly run back to the mission's starting point and reset it from there. It's one kill less per run, but you can do it without needing to restart the mission via the mega map or running back the whole street at View Point.

• Sock_Monkey

Great tips, guys! I see now even my "cheese" method was too tame... 🙂

• fs_slacker
    27 posts

I'm just annoyed that you have to cheese it to get the grenade kills. I hate lowering the difficulty just to complete a challenge - but I've shot NPC's on Heroic till near death, foamed them, and tossed a grenade and still no credit for the kill.

• Noxious81
    915 posts
    (...) foamed them, and tossed a grenade and still no credit for the kill.

Did you by chance wear the Vile mask while foaming them? In this case the Vile-tick might have caused the final, lethal damage thus not granting you the grenade kill. Same is true for any Status Effect (such as Bleed or Burn) killing an enemy.

• Sock_Monkey

@noxious81 Yeah, this is true. I saw some suggestions about Eclipse/Vile setup but learned early on that the very last tick that kills them MUST be either from direct grenade damage or from bleed caused by a grenade. It doesn't matter if the other 99.9% was, it must be the last one to get the grenade kill.

This is why Vile is no good (for this particular challenge), and you don't want to get any other status on them either; no blind, confuse, nothing else. Only grenade or grenade-caused bleed.

• BT3241
    131 posts

I use a grenade build on heroic all the time. I use the Mad Bomber and the Acosta bag. I have all specializations loaded so I can switch to any grenade between battles. You don't need the box you just switch specializations to reload grenades So I have 10 grenades the MadBomber gives me some and a grenade has to be thrown to activate the overcharge on the Bag.
    My build is
    Acosta Bag
    2 hanu corp
    3 empress
    All maxed on skill damage and haste
    Chest piece with the Madbomber.
    So your playing a skill build with grenades
    I use the turret and the drone (attack)

You could use China light for extra grenade damage

I also load every specialization when using this build so I can change grenades on the fly.

I actually do quite well on the score and it helps other builds shield guys do extremely well with the enemy burning or blinded.

• fs_slacker
    27 posts

@noxious81 I'm not sure, but probably was some external source of damage that "stole" the kill. The guy did the freeze frame kill thing and dropped the special ammo...but I'm not even sure what exactly are the mechanics of getting that to happen. Anyways, GE is over...I sacked a control point with Pestilence/ ND and all was right again.

• Sock_Monkey

@bt3241 I don't think skill damage has anything to do with grenade power.

And as noted, rather than all-around build this is intended to complete grenade-specific challenges.

• Noxious81
    915 posts
    (...) I sacked a control point with Pestilence/ ND and all was right again.

Now THAT sounds like a very valid coping strategy 😄 – good to hear!

• BT3241
    131 posts

@sock_monkey You don't have to like the build don't use it i don't care.

As for the event everyone know grenades can't kill on heroic so like everyone else I put it on normal where grenades can kill doing those tasks. I run down the street killing all the enemies with grenades and the grenade launcher it takes very little time and I can get back to heroic for the rest. It really is that simple.

• Sock_Monkey

Update to this: I noticed that this approach (relying on status) does NOT work with the "Kill two hostiles with the same grenade" challenge in Summit. Leave it to Ubi / Red Storm to be consistent only in their inconsistency.

In this case they must both be outright killed by the intial explosion, which is almost impossible. You have to wear all the hostiles down enough that direct grenade damage will kill them, then stand around and wait forever for two of them to be in close proximity.

It's seriously stupid how weak grenade damage is in a game where so many challenges rely on it.

• Acceleratum
    2 posts

I use an eclipse build with demo spec and acosta go bag, just foam them and throw the grenade, the bleed will finish them, the spread bleeed does not count only the ones bleeding from the grenade hit. Its not perfect but its enough for the challenges, of course put difficulty on normal and they will die from bleed, also works with firewall and fire grenade but it seems the bleed counts better. In some events you can even just go tip of the spear and use the specialization grenade launcher, it seems to work on Hollywood but not on polarity event for example..

• Sock_Monkey

@acceleratum Yeah, I have since redone this build and use two pieces of Eclipse and two pieces of Ongoing Directive (+30% status effects combined) plus status effects and explosive damage rolled into all my other pieces, and Mad Bomber on the chest.

The idea being to maximize the bleed from any NPC in direct contact with the grenade blast, but NOT to use any "transmissive" talent, as deaths from those do not count toward the "grenade kills" tally.

I have a full-on Eclipse build that I tried once, but wiping out an entire area with one grenade turned out to be not to my benefit. 🙂

Suggested Topics