ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Dacamster
    Original poster 9 posts

Trying to 100% all AC games and my 95% + ac2 game wiped itselfd. as you can imagine I was pretty annoyed but after a month off I returned this weekend. Put 4 or 5 hours into it yesterday, completed sequence 4, the um, lorenzo medici? is that his name, you save him from being killed in florence, anyway he gives me a codex and when the cutscene ends I get told that 'Save options failed. The storage device containing the gamer profile in use has been removed.' Next time I started up AC2 my progress was lost. I was fuming again.

Today I tried for the 3rd time to get to the end of AC so I can do the last achievements and at the exact same point, 4 or 5 hours in it had the same error message when sequence 4 ended.

I'm using Xbox Series X if it matters and this issue never happened before in previous gens.

Any help fixing it? or at least avoiding it? Not sure what it means by profile, i never log out so maybe it is the xbox putting the ap to 'sleep' when i switch games?

Couldnt find any solutions using google 😞

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Mercury
    Ubisoft Support Staff 619 posts

Hey @dacamster, I'm sorry to hear about this save corruption issue you've encountered while trying to complete Assassin's Creed 2. I completely understand the aggravation & frustration this has caused.

To clarify, are you using the Quick Resume feature & switching to other games while playing? Also, has this occurred for you when completely closing Assassin's Creed 2 as well?

Official Response
  • Dacamster
    Original poster 9 posts

@ubi-mercury As far as I know, no. When i played it yesterday it was a straight afternoon leading up to the notification the save had failed.

The only possibility for the new xbox pausing the game is if it happened when I walked off to cook dinner due to inactivity. Not sure how to turn quick resume off though.

On Saturday I closed the game and when i reopened it the save file was gone. Yesterday I went into options tried to manually change the save location to the cloud, progressed the game another mission or two, saw save icons and then quit to main menu, even without fully closing the game and despite save icons the save file was still missing.

About a month ago when I first lost my almost 100% playthrough it happened when i collected the 8 statuettes in montegionni, the achievement didnt pop and i googled it saw that someone made the achievement pop by restarting, i tried restarting and my save was just gone.

Both playthroughs this weekend I did grab the statues, the achievement popped this time though.

• Ubi-Peach
    Ubisoft Support Staff 208 posts

Thanks for that information @dacamster. I am going to be sending this information to the team for investigation. If I have any updates, I will be updating you here! Thank you so much for your understanding.

Official Response
  • Dacamster
    Original poster 9 posts

@ubi-peach I appreciate it, will try to hold off my next playthrough until I hear back 🙂

• Dacamster
    Original poster 9 posts

@Ubi-Mercury @Ubi-Peach So sorry for the @ I hate to spam.

Saw some suggestions online for this issue and tried it out, managed to get to the end game and finish the last few achievements of ac2 so im done!

Ingame the only changes i made were to actually participate in quick time events during cutscenes, not collecting the montergionni statues (lost save everytime i did) and yeah....

The big change i made that I saw suggested online though was short playsessions. In short, every couple of missions, at the minimum once every sequence I would wait for the save to finish then quit to main menu, fully close the game and then relaunch the game to resume my playthrough.

It seems that the cause of the file constantly being deleted has something to do with playing the new xbox's for a few hours or more, most likely inactivity until the xbox goes to sleep and/or minimising thhe game to play something else cause the issue. My assumption is that the game being paused by the new consoles disconnects it from the cloud saving that is the only option ac2 offers and then the next major autosave the game realises it cant reach the cloud because it never reconnected and so it wipes?

Also should note, this is an issue for ac valhalla as well. When i was working towards 100% of valhalla i noticed i was losing progress because the game got put to sleep and when i returned it REFUSED to reconnect to ubisoft servers until i restarted the game. Meaning missions id do would get wiped. I did also lose entire game progress 2 times however when I restarted the console (unplugging power too) it would reconnect to the server and my valhalla saves were restored thankfully (although individual missions i did since the game paused had to be redone)

I ended up finishing valhalla by doing the same thing really, everytime i paused and went afk id save and fully close the game and just restart it when I got back.

Considering this affected me on the newest game AND the second oldest game i'm going to operate under the assumption that every single AC game is incompatible with the xbox quick resume feature and since I don't know how to turn it off I will use the "restart every hour or two" for older games while i am finishing my 100% runs juuuust to be safe.

Hopefully these observations help developers.

P.s. Editing the post to add this in. I have raged to my best mate on both occasions valhalla fully wiped my save (before i recovered them) and when it failed to save progress after i had minimised the game and then returned later to play. My best mate was completely unaware of any of these issues, he plays on PS5, not sure if they have a quick resume feature but im assuming they dont as it seems mainly to occur on xbox in the online posts i have seen.

• Ubi-Gizmo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2112 posts

Hey there @dacamster, thank you for taking the time to elaborate on this further and provide the in-depth information. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide this to me. I have added this to the report. Should you have further questions regarding this or anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Official Response

Suggested Topics