ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Unsolved If level scaling is set to "constant". Nightmare (Aesir) and Very difficult (Drengr) combat difficulty won't apply.

1 Likes/13 Replies/665 Views
    DeathEvoke
    Original poster 1 posts

When I select nightmare combat difficulty and set level scaling to "constant" (which is the default look the option menu have if you start a new game in Aesir difficulty) the enemies will NOT deal 200% more damage. Basically Aesir combat difficulty won't apply after you set level scaling to "constant" and you are left fighting in normal difficulty.

The story goes like this:
    Recently I started a new fresh game in Aesir difficulty and realized the enemies were dealing almost no damage (easy or normal difficulty I'm assuming now). I went to check the option menu and saw the "combat difficulty" in "custom". I reselected the option to Aesir to see that level scaling changed to nightmare as well (enemies 60 levels above you). So I took that to "constant" again. Which I believe is the intended design of the game: Enemies will deal more damage, you will heal less and have less time to parry but they will be at your same level or the level stablished in that area. Resulting in deadly fast combat were you kill or be killed depending on player skill.
    But that did not happened. Enemies were left doing no damage at all. Again, I believe the damage they would deal in easy or normal.
    To "troubleshoot" this or prove my theory I settled the game in "Hard" (Berserkr) which by default has the level scaling set to "constant". And yes, now the enemies were dealing the claimed +60% damage of the difficulty description and scaled to my level (reasonable HP bars)
    Drengr (very difficult) difficulty has the exact same problem as Aesir (both has to be selected with their respective Very hard or Nightmare level scaling, or they won't work).

If it helps: I know there has been a recent update adding the level scaling option in addition to these new difficulties. And my guess this is a new conflict after the last update. Because when I played the game last year in "Drengr" (Very hard, highest difficulty there was) the game worked flawlessly.

For me this is an obvious mistake that someone slipped during the recent update and left it like that.
    I haven't make any pictures or videos because is easy enough to check in game for any developer (or anyone) and realize what I'm trying to describe. But I will if needed.

Thanks for the help.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Oxavo
    805 posts

Hello @DeathEvoke and thanks for reaching out to us!

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Thanks for such a detailed description of the issue.

We have received reports of players who see their game becoming much easier when changing only one of the settings.

The development team has been made aware of this issue and they are currently investigating it. If you would like to help us with the investigation, please send us the video of the issue and your settings. Also, please make sure that your latest saves uploaded to the cloud.

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to get back to us.

• pesto.
    358 posts

The game is broken currently. They updated the settings and removed separate difficulty and enemy scaling settings. Thus the only way to get increased combat difficulty is also to turn the enemies into boring bullet sponges.

Oh and doing so will also the forfeit one of the two daily Reda quests because of another bug.

Also regardless of difficulty they will still only attack in one’s and two’s while the rest literally slowly walk backwards till they are out of sight and lost, which is another bug.

It’s clearly a clueless decision, the older bugs though have been in for months and it feels like once again a publisher got caught with their pants down when they committed to “games as service” model with too many people not realizing that the release of the product is the start, not end. Consequently no-one wants to work doing bugfixing on an “old” (i.e. current) game and yet bugfixes are what’s needed.

• TheNorfolkian
    1602 posts

@deathevoke @Ubi-Oxavo I also noticed that when turning off Level Scaling completely, the game automatically resets the difficulty to Easy (Skald).

• pesto.
    358 posts

@thenorfolkian unfortunately that’s because there is no nightmare difficulty anymore. The top drop down is just a list of presets for the settings in the block underneath it. They simplified enemy difficulty to just a single drop down of enemy scaling which affects both enemy damage dealt and enemy health, which isn’t what anyone wants.

• Vertigoz
    3 posts

@ubi-oxavo how many more days take this to fixed ?

• lemmie88
    299 posts

@vertigoz its not on the 1.4.2 patch notes, so at least 1+ months, probably much longer. I stopped playing because of this. Can't set the difficulty, can't set level scaling and get the daily quests to work. What is there left to do in this game when they break what little is there to justify it as live service?

Wish they would revert the settings to pre-1.4.1.

• Vertigoz
    3 posts

@lemmie88 Just got patch today.. Need to check it . Downloading now

• ChuckKatse
    353 posts

@vertigoz The new patch has nothing to do with the problem discussed in this thread. It fixes an issue with HD Textures missing and introduces more weapon and armor sets.

• ChuckKatse
    353 posts

Until this problem is fixed what ever difficulty setting you select let it apply the level scaling for that difficulty setting. I play on Drengr and not messing with level scaling it is automatically set to Harder. To me if a player is wanting to play on a higher difficulty setting why want a lower the level scaling setting. Even playing on Drengr difficulty with level scaling set to harder the game is not that difficult.

• lemmie88
    299 posts

@chuckkatse Are you able to get all the Reda quests at Drengr difficulty? Pre-1.4.1, I played drengr, the level scaling was automatically set to Constant, and I had no problem with Reda. Post 1.4.1, Drengr difficulty automatically sets level scaling to harder and Reda&Co. are missing a quest. The issue is not that I want a lower level scaling, it is that I cannot get Reda quests at the higher difficulties and I really have no other reason to play once finishing the story.

• ChuckKatse
    353 posts

@lemmie88 I had problems with the Reda dailies that required me to assassinate/target a particular NPC. However, the dailies that required me to rescue an NPC worked. It is a bug and there are other threads that point to the problem. When UbiSoft will fix it is questionable. Eventually I was able to finish the 10 dailies for the Reda quest line. But it took a while to find ones that worked. Once I finished the 10 quests I really was not interested in doing anymore. Waiting for the new content to be released in March. Wonder how many new bugs and things that will break.

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts

Hey guys, thank you for all of your input and I can understand how impactful this is to some of you.

After having a closer look, I can see that this matter has been brought up by a number of people, however as it stands, we do not have any updates just yet, I'm afraid. As soon as we do, we will try to keep you all in the loop and details will be posted here, in our official forums.

Until then, should you happen to run into any other difficulties or have any queries, feel free to drop us a message at any time!

Official Response

Suggested Topics