ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 0 Likes/365 Replies/42149 Views
    g4fi
    4 posts

I verified the files, random crashes. I reinstalled the game, the same. All the drivers are updated, the windows also. Sometimes i play for a few hours with no crash, sometimes it crashes after 20 minutes

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff Original poster 6024 posts

Hello there,

I apologise for the delayed response. Thank you for continuing to share your crash reports within this thread.

Please note that before we can assist you in opening up support tickets for the crashes / freezes you've been experiencing, we first need to collect some additional information from you. If you have not already, then please can you provide us with all of the following information:

• Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)?
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before?
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen?

@PaieLCitra - Thank you for sharing your report with us, and for updating us to let us know that the issue has been resolved. Please note that we would not advise deleting any game files, as this could affect your gaming experience and cause additional trouble in future. Deleting any game files is at your own risk.

@Sapphire2727 - I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing crashes / freezes when changing your "Dawn of Ragnarok" gear. I'd recommend checking out our dedicated Megathread for this specific technical issue for more information from the ongoing investigation.

@Skauron - Thank you for sharing your report with us, and for letting us know that you've been able to play without crashes after disabling the Ubisoft Connect overlay. We're aware that disabling background applications, including in-game overlays, can help to resolve crashing in-game. Please note that there can be many potential causes behind crashes / freezes in-game, and it can be tricky to deploy fixes for these issues due to how varied these potential causes can be. If you encounter any further trouble whilst playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can look into this further.

@chippenham78 - Thank you for providing us with all of the requested information. I've now created a support ticket for you, so we can collect your system files for further investigation. You can find your support ticket by logging into the Ubisoft Help website and selecting "See All Cases" on your homepage. Additionally, I've sent a Ubisoft email to your linked email address which provides further steps on how to upload your system files to your support ticket.

@RedRat100 - I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered a number of different crashes whilst playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with us regarding these issues. I'm sorry for any impact that this has had on your gaming experience, and that you have decided to uninstall the game. We would be happy to troubleshoot these technical issues with you further, if you chose to return to Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you require any further support.

@satrincha - Thank you for sharing an update with us! I'm glad to hear that applying the optimal set-up for Assassin's Creed Valhalla via the GeForce Experience has helped to alleviate the crashes you've been experiencing. If the crashes return, please don't hesitate to update your support ticket with your system files so we can take a closer look at these and provide you with further troubleshooting steps.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • knottend1
    1 posts
    Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)?Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before?When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible.Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen?
    • Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation. Yes
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)? 2080ti,i5 12600k, 32g ddr5 ram
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before? only for random lengths of time
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible. They occur totally randomly but only since reaching England (if that helps!)
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software? No - brand new PC - my 3 other games run perfectly
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen? Doesn't occur on launch for me - just totally randomly. I have played 2 hours without a hitch and other times it crashes after 5-30 mins gameplay. It can crash altogether or freeze at a whim.

I have read so many complaints about similar experiences but have yet to have a definitive fix. I think I have gone through every suggestion that has been posted across the web including the suggestions here but to no avail.
    What is Ubisoft's definitive answer to fix what is clearly a very widespread major problem?
    From all the many discussion I have read this is clearly a problem at at Ubisoft's end and not of the multitude of players who simply are unable to play this game?
    When can we expect a patch to sort this?

• eJonny
    2 posts
    • Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.
      • Yes, I have completed this
      • I am running Windows 11 Pro on a Ryzen 7 5800X on an x570 motherboard with a GeForce RTX 3090 on a Samsung CRG90 5120 x 1440 monitor. Neither the CPU nor the GPU are overclocked. All overlays are turned off.
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before?
      • No, there have been crashes and freezes since install.
      • These started happening at the first cut scene, but they happen in cut scenes and during game play
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?
      • No, and I have tried a clean install of Windows 10, a clean install of Windows 11, and Windows 11 with fTPM turned off
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen?
      • It does not appear there are any specific triggers as the crash happens during combat, during cut scenes, and during general roaming

Please open a ticket so I may provide DXDIAG and MSINFO details.

• Pwojx
    1 posts

@shisshh_97 Hi, I have the same problem. Have you found a solution to this problem ?

• Ubi-SpaceCats
    Ubisoft Support Staff 938 posts

@g4fi Hi there! I do apologize for the frustration these crashes have caused.  
    As a first step, could you have a look at our Basic PC Troubleshooting guide?

Another important step to take when you're experiencing these on launch is to make sure that your game and launcher(s) are on the same drive, preferably the hard drive.

If after you've gone through the steps, you're still having issues launching your game, please reach out to us via one of the methods below with copies of your MSINFO and DXDiag. If you're contacting us through Twitter or Facebook, make sure to also include your Ubisoft username and email address, so that we can ensure we're looking at the correct account. 

Support Website
    Twitter DMs
    Facebook PMs

Official Response
  • Ronbosa
    5 posts

Just like to say I've been experiencing the same exact thing. Sometimes hours with no crashes and sometimes 5-10 min after starting play. Seemingly random.

Strangely I can't recall ever getting a single crash in either Norway or Isle of sky. Seems to only happen in England.

Every one of these crashes ends with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in event viewer.

I have googled and tried almost every known possible fix to this with no luck. My other games play fine without these crashes.

• Ubi-WheelyDuck
    Ubisoft Support Staff 924 posts

Hey @ronbosa,

Sorry to hear that you also have this trouble and it seems to be exclusive to England.

Would it be possible to send us your DxDiag and MsInfo as Ubi-SpaceCats advised?

Many thanks

Official Response
  • ZadKam73
    1 posts

Any change in inventory causes screen freeze . UNABLE TO PLAY .
    When I try to contact Ubisoft through support for sending DxDiag and MSInfo , no one is there due to covid and CHAT as the only way of getting help seems always busy .

SO please someone Ubisoft ! Any help ?
    This problem for me on pc happening for a month now .

• Leotaurus1995
    13 posts

@ubi-borealis this is horrible . At this point its been almost a year of me still having the same issue . That's because I waited a year before buying the game . Forward 2 years later the game is still unplayable because of D3DDRED2 or driver disconnects whatever you wanna call them . I can garuntee the same stupid have you tried our troubleshooting guide send me DX info nonsense is gonna be copied and pasted here

No other game does this . Not a single one . The game is out for 2 years . We have had 3 full DLC'S forced down our thoat yet you still refuse to find and fix this [censored] bug . The game crashing makes it absolute top garbage yet here we are a 2 years later . Ubisoft not giving a [censored] about pc players

What in [censored] name should we do to be taken seriously ?

This thread I'd becoming less popular . Not due to you fixing your issues . But because after 2 years people [censored] start giving up

• Strategist6
    1 posts
    Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? Yes
    What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)? AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, AMD Radeon RX 6700XT, Windows 10
    Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before? No, I've maybe had only a small handful of sessions where the game did not crash for about an hour or so. I think I just got lucky because I didn't do anything differently.
    When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Since purchasing the game a few weeks ago
    Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software? No, I recently purchased the game and prior to that its been several months since I made any changes.
    Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen? After playing for the last 3 weeks I usually go 15-30 minutes between crashes and rarely 1+ hour before crashing. This happens regardless of any location, combat, encounter, or any sort of trigger. The only thing that I have found is sometimes I have driver-related error messages in event viewer. My drivers are up to date and I've done clean installs. I have reason to believe it is a game issue, based on what I have heard about the game's optimization.

• csick919
    2 posts

I have been experiencing intermittent freezes of 1-3 seconds that happened most often during roaming around the map.
    Then I discovered that AC Valhalla has a Cache folder that it puts in it's folder inside your Documents folder. I also have OneDrive set up to backup my Documents folder.
    The thought occurred to me that these freezes may be a result of ACV and OneDrive fighting over access to this cache folder.
    What I did was move the cache folder to a different folder outside of the OneDrive folder, and created a symbolic link from the original cache folder path to the new folder. (I also moved it to a faster drive)
    Since I've done that. I haven't had any freezes so far, though I haven't played as much recently, so I'm not 100% sure the issue has been resolved.

• tashtag_3
    1 posts

Crashing to desktop every time I try to travel to Norway. Previously for interest (noticed it about 3 weeks ago, but didn't need to go back so I left it), now is necessary for Road to Valhalla quest. Fast travel within England works, travel to Ireland, Asgard, Jotunheim all working.

Game sometimes stutters/freezes if I have other applications open (eg. Chrome, Discord), generally smooth if it is the only thing running. Game crash occurs even if nothing else is open.

Troubleshooting guide previously completed, drivers etc up to date. System specs are Intel i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super. Previously submitted a ticket, but their recommendations caused my computer to bug out and I had to complete a safe boot system restore to log back in at all. Not great.

• marcusnhds
    2 posts

@ubi-borealis Seriously, the support ticket system is broken! This is what your guys are doing.
    1) Reply in standardise call script answers.
    2) refer us to tons of rubbish links that does not work.
    3) Wait for a while for reply.
    4) send log files
    5) still ask for more logs files still not fixes.

Please, why can't you guys just stick back to Uplay or Steam? After 15 years of Ubisoft customer (yes that is how long i have been buying ubisoft titles), this is the first time I actually encounter crap from you guys.

• braudrist
    35 posts

nVIDIA control panel -> Mange 3D settings -> Global settings -> Power management mode -> 'Prefer maximum performance'

I haven't had a crash since I did that, but I'm still sceptical that it actually works. It's worth a shot I guess.

• TheKewee
    9 posts

Just found this post, moving my post here:

Unable to play more than a couple hours without the game freezing and crashing usually during boat docking, cut scene or entering a region.

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." is recorded in the system event log.

Tried verifying files, setting GPU to performance mode.
    Game settings tried both Geforce Experience recommended and support site recommended 2K configuration - Very High preset (30 FPS)

Windows 11 Pro - 10.0.22000 Build 22000
    Intel Core i5-11500
    32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
    Driver 512.15 - 30.0.15.1215
    Res - 3440 x 1440 x 144 hertz

• csick919
    2 posts
    I have been experiencing intermittent freezes of 1-3 seconds that happened most often during roaming around the map.
    Then I discovered that AC Valhalla has a Cache folder that it puts in it's folder inside your Documents folder. I also have OneDrive set up to backup my Documents folder.
    The thought occurred to me that these freezes may be a result of ACV and OneDrive fighting over access to this cache folder.
    What I did was move the cache folder to a different folder outside of the OneDrive folder, and created a symbolic link from the original cache folder path to the new folder. (I also moved it to a faster drive)

I've played for several more hours since then and haven't had a single freeze since I moved the cache folders outside of my OneDrive folder and created the symbolic links.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff Original poster 6024 posts

Hello there,

I apologise for the delayed response. Thank you for sharing your crash reports and experiences within this thread. I apologise for any impact that these technical issues have had on your gaming experience.

Please note that before we can assist you in opening up support tickets for the crashes / freezes you've been experiencing, we first need to collect some additional information from you. If you have not already, then please can you provide us with all of the following information:

@knottend1 - Thank you for providing us with all of the requested information! I've now created a support ticket for you, which you can find by logging into the Ubisoft Help website and clicking "See All Cases" on your main homepage. I've also sent you a Ubisoft email with steps on how to upload your system files to your support ticket, so please check this out when you're next able to!

Please note that there are many potential causes behind crashes / freezes in-game, so we are unable to guarantee that we will be able to deploy a definitive "fix" for all of these. By creating a support ticket, we are able to take a closer look at your unique system files to investigate what could potentially be causing these crashes to occur in your game. These system files, as well as the information collected throughout your personalised investigation, is then useful if your case needs to be escalated further to our dedicated teams.

@eJonny - Thanks for providing us with a full report! I can see that you've been able to open up a support ticket and our team has been looking into your crashes further. I'd recommend continuing any further communication via your support ticket, so we don't lose any additional information within the forums.

@Pwojx & @ZadKam73 - I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing technical issues in-game. Can you please provide us with all of the information requested above, as this will allow us to create a support ticket for you for further investigation.

@Leotaurus1995 - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding the crashes you've been experiencing in "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla." I would like to assure you that the Player Support team takes these reports seriously, and we do our best to provide you with additional troubleshooting and to investigate what could potentially be causing these crashes to occur in your game.

I can see that you have had a support ticket opened previously for the D3DDRED2 error you've been encountering in your logs, and that you decided you no longer wanted to continue troubleshooting the issue further. If you'd like to try troubleshooting again, then I would recommend that we create a new support ticket for you so we can take a look at your updated system files to make sure that there haven't been any changes here.

@Strategist6 - Thank you for providing us with all of the requested information! I've now created a support ticket for you to upload your system files to. You can find your support ticket by logging into the Ubisoft Help website and clicking "See All Cases" on your main homepage. I've also sent you a Ubisoft email with steps on how to upload your system files to your support ticket, so please check this out when you're next able to.

@csick919 & @braudrist - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and how you were able to resolve the techincal issues you were both encountering whilst playing "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla." I hope these troubleshooting suggestions can help others who are encountering similar issues in their own game! 😄

@tashtag_3 - I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing crashes whenever you travel to Norway. Thanks for providing us with a lot of the requested information! Would you also be able to provide us with the following details? This will allow us to create a new support ticket for you so we can investigate this issue further outside of the forums.

• Have you been able to travel to Norway before without experiencing crashes / freezes before?

@marcusnhds - I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing technical issues whilst playing Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding the support you have received so far via your support ticket.

I can see that a member of the team has reached out to you with an update to help us to investigate the "unrecoverable error" you're experiencing within Ubisoft Connect. Would you be able to check this out and provide the requested information when you're next able to, as this will help the team to look into the issue further.

I would also suggest that you continue any communication about this error within your support ticket, as this will prevent information from being lost within the forums. Please feel welcome to share any additional feedback you may have regarding the ongoing investigation within your support ticket as well.

@TheKewee - Thank you for providing us with some of the requested information. Before we create a support ticket for you, can you please provide us with the following information as well?

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • satrincha
    13 posts

@ubi-borealis Yes i was able to finish the game without any crashes ... it's like ubisoft create a corrupt setup file, when nvidia create a good one.

• TheKewee
    9 posts
    Unable to play more than a couple hours without the game freezing and crashing usually during boat docking, cut scene or entering a region."Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." is recorded in the system event log.

I've had multiple 3+ hour sessions with no crashes after turning hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling off in Windows settings!

Previously I've never had a session not end in a crash 😞

Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is found in windows settings under system / display / graphics / default graphics settings.. reboot required

Suggested Topics