ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 0 Likes/318 Replies/32233 Views
    Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff Original poster 5617 posts

Hello there,

There can be many potential causes behind technical issues, such as crashes / freezes, as everyone's system is unique. For this reason, it can be tricky for us to provide you with tailored support within the forums. We have created this topic to help provide you with the basic troubleshooting steps for technical issues, and to open up support tickets for those who require more assistance. This topic will also help us to spot any repeating trends that might require further investigation by the dedicated teams, such as crashes occurring in a specific location only.

Before you share your report within this thread, please note that we have several ongoing investigations for crashes / freezes already. We recommend you check these out first. These threads will have specific troubleshooting steps and workarounds shared within them, and are the best place to find more information and updates about these individual investigations. This list will be updated if we are aware of any new issues that may be causing crashes / freezing.

If the crash / freeze you are experiencing is not linked to any of the above investigations, then please can you provide us with all of the following information:

• Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)?
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before?
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen?

We can then use this information to open up a support ticket for you. Opening up support tickets allows us to collect your system files for further investigation, which can be crucial for troubleshooting crashes / freezes. Once we have opened a support ticket for you, we will notify you within this thread.

Thank you 🙂

Official Response
  • Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Jarlaxle456
    2 posts

@ubi-borealis I'm having this issue as well. I purchased the game beginning of December and played it up to 23 December with no real issues. I went on holiday 24 December 2021 and came back on 10 January and started playing it again. The issues were immediate, and they are getting worse. I can no longer enter the settlement, it crases the moment I quick travel to it. I also tried quick traveling to a closer point and walking it, but the moment I enter the settlment it crases. So I'm unable to continue to main story line. I've started exploring as an alternative, but the game keeps crashing. This evening alone I played about 2 hours and it must have crashed 10 times. It has now gotten to the point where I can no longer play the game.

I've tried veryfying the files, no change. I also uninstalled the game and re downloaded it from scratch, this seems to have made things worse.

The game worked fine in December, not sure what went wrong with it now.

• S7igma957
    173 posts

@ubi-borealis
    Odyssey runs perfect! One crash in 115+ hours of gameplay.

• LongLiveRNG
    21 posts
    • Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation. Answer: All can be done except for running as admin, because it will just stuck at the AC logo splash small window (before the epileptic warning message)
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)? Answer: i5 9400F/ASUS RTX 2060 OC Windows 11
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before? Answer: No.
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible. Answer: The first time riding a longboat in Norway, at the beginning of the game. (Yeah, the game crash on me on my first day of playing the game, go figure) After I got in the longboat, hold Z to auto-path, then while listening to the conversation, out of a sudden BOOM the game froze, but I still can hear the conversation for 2-3 seconds then it crashed to desktop.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software? Answer: This contradicts your PC troubleshooting guide where it asked us to update our operating system.
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen? Answer: At first, as long I'm on a longboat or nearby a river. Nowadays are randoms.

I'm replying to this thread based on my previous experience.
    I did check Windows Event Viewer after every crash, and it's always the same nvlddmkm.sys error Event ID 4101. Thus I believe, my solution won't work for everyone.
    After adding the TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay in registry, I can say I don't have any crashes anymore.

Even on GeforceNow, I can get a crash (even tho it doesn't shows as crash, but it shows as spotty or lost connection).

Yesterday I just realised XBox Game bar is not disabled permanently, even though the option in Windows Settings are OFF, I still can press Start+G. And I had uninstall it permanently via powershell. I haven't try to play the game without TdrDelay again. I can update you later or tomorrow.

• LongLiveRNG
    21 posts

@s7igma957 I'm sorry, mate, but all these Odyssey vs Valhalla discussions/debates are not helping and won't solve the problem.

• longjohn119
    1031 posts

@longliverng Well it really should since they both use the exact same game engine .....

Ubisoft needs to ask themselves this simple question .... What is the main difference between Odyssey and Valhalla?

Answer is simple, Odyssey uses DX11 like every AC game since Unity and Valhalla uses DX12

From this a seasoned troubleshooter can deduce that the problem is most likely a bad implementation of the DX12 APIs ..... That's where they need to start digging into the code

The reasoning behind these questions they are asking is to try to find a commonality between the systems that are having problem but the commonality is staring them straight in the eye but they are too myopic to see it .... That commonality is DX12 ... Not Intel CPUs or AMD CPUs or AMD GPUs or Nvidia GPUs or certain motherboards or certain DDR4 RAM .... It happens across the board on all system types from the minimum requirements setups to the best setups you can buy today

It is NOT a hardware problem, the problem is in THEIR code

• moolumbo
    10 posts

@jarlaxle456 I had over 70 hours of problem-free game time, but kept getting crashes after update 1.4.1.2. Disabling the Windows 10 "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" setting fixed it for me. (if you're not on 10 or have that setting off already, then sorry)

• LongLiveRNG
    21 posts

@moolumbo I did disable HAGS (Hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling), but it still crashed for me, even though for a longer interval than HAGS enabled.

But I kept it at disabled after adding TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay in registry.

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there!

Thank you for taking the time to share your crash reports with us within this thread. Before you share your report with us within this thread, please ensure that you provide us with the following information:

• Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)?
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before?
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen?

This information is used to open a support ticket for you, which will allow our team to carry out further troubleshooting for the technical issue you've encountered.

@Jarlaxle456 - Thank you for providing more information about your crashes, and for letting us know what steps you have tried. Can you please ensure that you've tried all of the steps on the basic PC troubleshooting guide first? We would also suggest that you ensure you have all Windows updates installed, and that you try disabling background applications as these could be conflicting with game files.

If you're still experiencing crashes after trying all of the basic PC troubleshooting steps, please can you provide us with all of the requested information, as this will be helpful when opening a support ticket for you.

@S7igma957 - I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing crashes in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Have you been able to try the steps on our basic PC troubleshooting guide yet? If so, please can you provide us with all of the requested information so we can open a support ticket for you.

@LongLiveRNG - Thank you for providing us with all of the requested information! I'm sorry to hear that your crashes still persist after trying the suggested troubleshooting steps. I've now opened a support ticket for you so we can collect your system files for further investigation. You can find your support ticket by logging into your Ubisoft account on our Ubisoft Help website, and selecting "See All Cases" on your homepage. I've also sent you an email with steps on how to upload your system files to your support ticket. Please check this out when you're next able to.

@longjohn119 - I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing crashes in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Would you be able to provide us with the requested information? We can then open a support ticket for you, which will allow us to gather your system files for further investigation.

@moolumbo - Thank you for sharing how you were able to resolve the crashes you were experiencing in-game 😄 If you encounter any further trouble in-game, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you 🙂

Official Response
  • JPWiseguy
    2 posts

I have found that most of the crashing of Ubisoft's games are due to overclocking either their CPU (mainly), GPU, or both and they are finding out the hard way, when trying to enjoy a game, that even after hours of stability testing, their overclock isn't quite stable as they originally thought.

I have an i9-9900K with a somewhat outdated and inadequate cooler (Corsair H80i GT) so, temporarily, I manually set my CPU clock speed to 4.5GHz and dial the voltage down to a VCore of 1.2v in order to keep the temps lower.

Well, under a regular full load on the CPU (like the default used by CPU-Z) it is rock-steady with that VCore, but it seems that some Ubisoft games switch over to some other instruction set (AVX, AVX2 perhaps?) on occasion, which will cause the VCore to droop even further than it would with a regular load. Now I could be totally wrong about that, I'm far from being an expert, and it could be some other thing causing the Vcore to drop, but I have found Ubisoft games are one of the biggest causes of the Vcore drooping further down than normal. For whatever reason. My CPU VDroop under full load goes down to 1.84v with that "regular load", but I discovered that when I apply an AVX or AVX2 load I have noticed it will droop even further to an unstable 1.64v - so bumping up my Vcore another 0.2v in the BIOS was the cure... for me. I'm not trying to speak for everyone here, but I do strongly believe some gamers out there experiencing these crashes are seeing them because their overclock isn't stable. Even though it is actually stable in other games.

Again, not trying to say this is everyone's problem, but it is worth looking into if you are experiencing crashes or freezes and are also overclocking.

Either way, good luck, hope this information helps someone.

• Ubi-Borealis

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, @JPWiseguy!

We would generally recommend that you refrain from overclocking your system when playing any Ubisoft title, as this could cause technical issues such as crashing and freezing in-game. If you use an overclocked system and are encountering crashes in-game, then we would strongly recommend that you revert your system back to default to see if this helps to alleviate the technical issues experienced.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • Jarlaxle456
    2 posts

@moolumbo Thanks for the advice. I do have windows 10, but my Hardware Acellerated is disabled. On the plus side the game seems to be working now. I've played about 1.5 hours and it only crashed once, and I can go back to the settlement without it crashing. Not sure why it is working now. I get the feeling it is because I restarted my computer. When it starts getting slow again, I will give it another restart. Seems to help with most of the issues.

• endevoro
    3 posts
    • yes I have completed your basic PC troubleshooting guide, no it didn't solve the problem
    • I run a AMD Radeon RX6600 XT, Ryzen 5 3600X and 32 GB of ram
    • I always had crashes since I bought this game in October , sometimes more frequently (even 5 minutes into the game), other times could play for hours
    • No I haven't changed my Operating System nor installed a new software
    • There is no specific trigger for what I can notice, I could pause the game and after a bit it would crash, play river raids, free roam, play warlock, doing quest, changing inventory, fast travel, fighting, talking to npcs. It happened for each of these things. Simply playing the game makes it crash.
    • the only thing that solved it temporarily was canceling all the cache files in the documents folder of acvalhalla. Before I would crash after just 5 minutes every time, then after doing this I played for 5 hours straight, then crashes started to reappear again and now even eliminating cache files does not solve my problem.
  • CarnivalCandle
    3 posts

Same issue here, frequent, random crashing. I received AC Valhalla for Christmas, and everything ran well, at least in Norway. However, not long after reaching England.. the CTDs started, and they just keep getting worse. Having long experienced Bethesda games (which are notoriously unstable without skilled tweaking), I'm reasonably adept at troubleshooting this sort of thing, but where AC:V is concerned... I've tried all suggestions in the basic guide, everything is up-to-date, hardware acceleration has been off since the getgo, nothing is overclocked etc. etc. and nothing has worked; I'm at a loss. My specs well exceed recommended (RTX 3070, Ryzen 7 5800x, 16 GB ram, Win 10), so that shouldn't be the problem, either. Unless, of course... the CTDs are somehow associated with Nvidia cards; I do know the game was partnered with Ryzen cards. However, I'm not techie enough to explore that idea, and it really shouldn't be an issue regardless.

A friend and I played through Odyssey together on his computer, and in all that time, it crashed exactly once. Not only that, but draw distances and LODs were vastly superior. I find Valhalla very enjoyable, I really do, and it's breathtakingly beautiful at times (the English woodlands, for example), and I love the greater focus on narrative... but the CTDs and inconsistent visual quality mar the experience.These CTDs occur both when trying to launch a game (just after the checking for new content step), or randomly during game-play. I'm well aware that diagnosing CTDs can be difficult, because there are so many possible variables with peoples' setups and so forth. However, this issue is wide-reaching, I've read about people having problems everywhere; this suggests the issue is on the side of the developers. If these problems persist, I will NOT be picking up Dawn of Ragnarok, even if it receives universally excellent reviews.

EDIT
    One thing to note is that my game is much more stable when I play in offline mode, which is making me start to suspect that Connect may be at least part of the problem.

EDIT 2
    In Event Viewer I am also getting repeated:
    nvlddmkm.sys error Event ID 4101

EDIT 3
    Running the game as Admin appears to help greatly. I need to test this further, however.

• S7igma957
    173 posts

@jpwiseguy No! Overclocking can't crash the game!

I love the game but game need more and more fixes.

• KnightLion007
    4 posts

Hi

The game keeps restarting my pc and it has been doing it since the start.
    Did a clean driver install.
    Set it to run in administrator.
    I have reinstalled the 4 times now. 
    Did a clean boot.
    Disabled windows game mode and game bar.

When I set all graphics to low the game runs, but with my hardware what is the point in running the game on low?

My pc specs are as follows.
    Windows 11
    CPU: AMD 3950x
    GPU: RTX 3090
    RAM: 32GB
    SSD: Force MP600 2000.3 GB
    PSU: Corsair HX 1000i

PC temps are stable all the way no spikes or over heating occurring.

• S7igma957
    173 posts

@ubi-borealis
    I just want to ask. Why those crash reports even exist? I sending this report every time game crashed!!!

I've send 150+ reports already!

• S7igma957
    173 posts

@KnightLion007
    If game restart your PC then this is not game problem! Problem in your PSU.

• CarnivalCandle
    3 posts

@s7igma957 True, symptoms like that can be caused by a faulty PSU, but not always. In light of all the stability problems being reported with Valhalla, it's just as probable that it's an issue with the game itself. One way of knowing for sure is if KnightLion007 has the same restarting issue with other, similarly demanding, games; if it's just Valhalla.. well...

• Allysonflb
    10 posts
    • Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? Yes!
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)? i5 11400,16gb 3200mhz and RTX 3070.
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before? No, since i bought the game on december 23 i experience multiples and severe crashes, they behave the same way, random and when is happens i get a freeze of 1 second then it crashes to desktop, in event view i get that my display driver crashed and recovered.
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible. Very random, sometimes when i start a raid, sync in the cities but i get more crashes when i call my horse and ride on it.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software? No, my system is brand new, so no changes. Besides Valhalla is the only game that i have this problem, all others behave just normal.
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen? Calling the horse or starting a raid or sync at cities, i get more crashes when i do this.

Edit:
    My temps playing this game is very very cold: CPU: 54c and GPU: 48c (almost idle) and power comsumption: CPU: 50w and GPU: 68w.
    Also i have a AX 860W Platinum from corsair, so power delivery is not the problem.

This random crashes also happen on my gaming laptop:
    I7 7700HQ
    GTX 1050TI
    Playing at low everything
    And still crashes with the same error in event view, that the driver crashed and recovered.

Edit 2:

I just give up, i will play odyssey for now (bought that one too) because i don't have any problems playing them, when ubi decides to fix this mess, i will try play the game again, it's a shame because the game at this point is 1 year old and still is broken (more now that before i guess), i was tempted to pre-order the ragnarok dlc, but i will wait the fix for this crashes. Why buy something if is already not working, right? 

Suggested Topics