ubisoft discussions

quick-suggestions

• locked topic_solved [PC] Experiencing crashes / freezes whilst playing the game

0 likes/507 replies/84088 views
    mysticmanc
    ubisoft:x-posts, 3

@ubi-milky I've sent what you've requested, hopefully something can be done to fix this.

• longjohn119
    ubisoft:x-posts, 1369
    @saha4 well . This issue seems to just exist only on PC . I've watched some people play this game where it has that 1 second freeze that you see every time before the game crashes on console and the game just recovers . On PC that's not the case . It will just straight CTD . I can't garuntee what the issue is but it behaves the same way as a VRAM leak . But there is no way to actually prove this since the game doesn't recover and you can't monitor any sort of recourse leak

You can see the same sort of behavior of you play RDR 2 during daytime in Valentine . But the actual difference is that RDR will dip framerate for about 2 seconds instead of booting you out of the game when the VRAM leak occurs

Also yeah . Capping the framerate to 59fps in the ini helps with the performance because the game glitches and hits 61 fps and throttles down to 40 . Keeping it on 59 fixes about 95% of the stuttering but does not fix the D3DDRED2 issue

It's not a memory leak, it's an illegal memory access to a protected or out of range area of system or graphics memory. The reason it pukes to the desktop is because something that tries an illegal access to protected memory or out of range is potentially a virus and the crash is intentional.

D3DRED stands for Direct 3D Device Removed Extended Data and all it indicates is the graphics card disconnected but nothing about why exactly it disconnected. There is another error code the game can throw that indicates the problem and that is nvlddmkm.sys which is the kernel driver and when that error is thrown it is almost always because of an illegal memory access in the VRAM and usually happens when the CPU sends new data to VRAM from system RAM. Personally I think it has to do with an improper application of the Resizeable BAR feature that effects graphics cards or CPUs that don't even have that ability.

• Leotaurus1995
    ubisoft:x-posts, 25
    banned

@longjohn119 well whatever the issue is Ubisoft needs to have a real look at it . Resizable bar isnt running on my system so it shouldn't be that (but it does make sense looking at how resizable bar works) . They're always trying to blame some background application but it's not that either . I've disabled every 3rd party app and all the ones that come default with windows like Cortana the Xbox game thing Skype etc. Disabled overlays and other launchers like steam . Origin and whatnot

I have ran afterburner while playing but that's not the issue either . I only started using that when I started getting really annoyed with the crashing over and over again . To check if something peaks before it crashes (Vram peaks but not enough to suggest thats the problem)

I seriously spoon fed Ubisoft everything I've done to get this game working but they keep saying stuff like . Update . And disable apps . After I've clearly showed them everything is updated and nothing else is running . I've sent them the whole event viewer logs and dx system information files many times and they ended up trying to blame hardware failure .

The support for this game is honestly ridiculous . Let's not forget they released a whole update just to extend their broken Yule festival and nothing else . I know the person replying to support tickets can't really help . But troubleshooting an issue that has existed for months without a fix is pretty bad . And beyond that this particular game is the only one I have that does this

I mentioned RDR because when that was still new it would prettymuch crash when the memory starts climbing . They eventually fixed that but a few small updates later they broke it again with the naturalist update . But it still doesn't crash like this

But still . The issue is that Ubisoft doesn't really look at these things . The original thread was over a year old and was closed up on 100 pages . Then they started this thread . And ontop of it there's hundreds of smaller ones on this same issue . It just seems like they're excersizing a I've never seen this tactic to avoid fixing it . They can't exactly sell another $40 DLC if they take responsibility for a game breaking bug like crashing every 30 minutes .

Also I'm copying this post because it seems like they have a fine habit of removing comments like this criticizing the game .

• moolumbo
    ubisoft:x-posts, 10

@saha4 Yep, that's the same error almost every game session for many (including me).

I just put on the new nvidia 511.79 driver, and amazingly the first Valhalla session I played for about 2 hours did not crash. Probably pure luck, but usually after a reboot the game always crashes in the first play session, then doesn't from then on until after a future reboot. Strange and annoying.

• ChuckKatse
    ubisoft:x-posts, 359

@leotaurus1995 You described the same issue I am having with AC Valhalla playing on PC. My game will freeze and then CTD to desktop. It has become very annoying. You never know when it is going to happen. Can be playing for an hour with no problems then freeze and crash or playing for just a few minutes and freeze and crash. There is no set pattern. Ubisoft needs to stop pointing the problem to third party software, outdated drivers or systems. The problem is and has always been on their end. I play several other games besides AC (Always Crashing) Valhalla and never have frame freeze resulting to crash to desktop. In addition I played AC Origins and Odyssey and never had the problems with crashing that I have with AC Valhalla.

• Leotaurus1995
    ubisoft:x-posts, 25
    banned

Well . that's just it then i guess . as much as i liked the parts of the game where it actually didn't crash its just too much for me . i cant be playing this game always feeling like imma beat the crap out of my keyboard when it vomits me to desktop . I'm uninstalling this . you cant expect us to wait this long for a fix for crashing ... teleporting 20 meters randomly and dead npcs getting up and running away is still within the acceptable limits . but crashing every 15 minutes is not . especially if you wait 15 minutes for the game to start up again on a 3.5gbs read nvme .... i guess ill be moving on to other things . just such a shame i spent so much money on something i cant play .... for the second time too . kinda goes without saying but i wont buy another ubi game again . funny how everyone bashed 2077 for being so buggy yet I'm deleting valhalla to install 2077 . because they actually put effort into bug fixing . who would've thought

• moolumbo

So I've been running the nvidia 511.79 driver since 2/14, and shockingly I've been able to play three 2-hour game sessions since then without the "D3DDRED2" crash. If this is just lucky coincidence, then it is extreme, because I would always get that crash within 20 minutes.

I do still have the Ubisoft Connect overlay and all notifications disabled. And not that it should matter, but the only game setting I have changed since the new driver is I turned on motion blur that I've always had disabled.

Well now I surely jinxed myself. 😰

• S7igma957
    ubisoft:x-posts, 248

@ubi-gizmo Greetings!

This is my statistic.

Valhalla - 480+ hours of gameplay and 160 + crashes. England, Francia and river raids only. 99% crashes in England.

Odyssey - 135 hours of gameplay and only one crash.

Why do i need to turn off many of usefull software if another Ubisoft game works perfect? Why do i need to turn off many of usefull software if all my other games works perfect? All of them!

Odyssey runs great. No stuttering, no crashes etc. Thats why i know for sure that problem is in game only! BTW, i have Origins and it works perfect too! No crashes, stuttering etc.

We will see how will work Dawn of Ragnarok. I think it will run perfectly!

• VaIius
    ubisoft:x-posts, 8

After updating the Nvidia drivers to version 511.65, I personally did not notice any crashes. But I note that I did not conduct long gaming sessions - I played up to a maximum of 1 hour. The freeze issue still persists since patch 1.4.1. The game is experiencing very sharp and short-term frame rate drops during quick saves, autosaves, after closing the overlay, receiving rewards for tasks, and sometimes during the selection of loot from enemies. The frequency of such freezes makes the game process very uncomfortable.

I note that the last two minipatches slightly improved the situation with freezes. They have become less strong and noticeable, but they are still observed in the game. Before patch 1.4.1, my game was running smoothly and without freezes.

• S7igma957

@vaiius I can play whole day without a single crash and next day can get 2-3 crash in 10 minutes. I'm sure there is a bug in some scripts or protection.
    I can say for sure that 1.3 version of the game was far more stable! The biggest problems with CTD is in Hamtunscire. I've marked places where game crash all the time! I'm using two spears all the time!

• longjohn119

@s7igma957 The main difference between the two games which use the exact same Game Engine

Odyssey is DX11
    Valhalla is DX12

The AnvilNext 2 game engine was coded for DX11 and was introduced with AC Unity. To make it work with DX12 it needs to be rewritten from the ground up. Do a google search for the differences between core functions in DX11 and DX12 and you will find there is a very big difference between the 2 APIs. With DX11 you can let the CPU drivers do most of the threading/core usage work (But only really supports 4 cores properly and the rest do almost nothing) and the GPU drivers do most of the shader pipelining work. However with DX12 the developer has to control threading, memory access and GPU pipelining with the Game Engine and the DX12 APIs rather than just rely on the chipset and GPU drivers to do it for them

• S7igma957

@longjohn119 Game works fine in Ireland and Cassandra DLC and Norway. It's definitely something wrong with England, Francia and river raid.
    Dawn of Ragnarok is huge DLC and we will see how it runs. I'm sure for 100% that there will be no crashes in this DLC.

• NzRusko
    ubisoft:x-posts, 1

THE BIG FINISH

When I walk up to the tower during the quest part (Examine the tower) the quest updates to (Talk to the builder) and will crash. I'm playing on ps4, I've re-installed and updated with no avail.

• moolumbo
    So I've been running the nvidia 511.79 driver since 2/14, and shockingly I've been able to play three 2-hour game sessions since then without the "D3DDRED2" crash. If this is just lucky coincidence, then it is extreme, because I would always get that crash within 20 minutes.
    Well now I surely jinxed myself. 😰

I did jinx myself, as expected. lol

Suddenly the damn game would not play for more than 10 minutes, even after rebooting. After several tries, I was able to finally get it to avoid the crash by deleting the "C:\Users\...\Documents\Assassin's Creed Valhalla\cache" folder contents. This time it must have been hitting the same bad cache file each time until I deleted.

So it seems the game will eventually corrupt a cache file (or access the wrong one?) and cause the crash. On the next run, it may work or crash again, depending on the cache file it has to hit. From now on I guess it will be best to delete the cache before playing each time. (May be worth a shot to deny access permission to the folder to see what happens. heh)

• mysticmanc
    ubisoft:x-posts, 3

@ubi-milky I sent what was asked for and instead of acknowledging or, god forbid fixing it you closed my ticket.
    Great customer service right there.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff Original poster ubisoft:x-posts, 6075

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your crash reports with us within this thread, as well as sharing troubleshooting tips on how you were able to resolve crashes in your own game.

If you are experiencing a crash / freeze in-game, then please can you ensure that you provide us with all of the following information. This information will allow us to open up support tickets for you, which we can use to collect your system files for further investigation:

• Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.
    • What are your system specs (CPU/GPU)?
    • Have you been able to play the game without experiencing crashes / freezes before?
    • When did these crashes / freezes first occur? Please be as exact as possible.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? For instance, do they happen when launching the game, or during a loading screen?

@Miyako34 - You're currently within the English Player Support forums. Would you be able to offer a translation of your post for us? Alternatively, if you'd like to receive support in your preferred language, you're welcome to open up a support ticket. A member of your regional team will then reach out to you as soon as they're able to.

@shadalkane - Thanks for providing us with some more information about the crashes you've experiences, as well as details about your system. Would you be able to provide us with the following information as well:

• Have you been able to complete our basic PC troubleshooting guide? These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, and provide us with a basis for further investigation.
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system, such as updating your Operating System or installing new software?
    • Are there any specific triggers for these crashes / freezes? You mention that they started after travelling to England, but do they happen in certain areas or during specific events (such as raids)?

We can then look into creating a support ticket for you using the information you've provided.

@mysticmanc - Thanks for letting us know you've been able to open a support ticket. Please note that support tickets are automatically closed if it has been three days since a response was sent by a member of the Player Support Team. I can see that one of my colleagues has asked for your system files. When you're ready for us to investigate these crashes further, please can you upload these to your support ticket for us? Leaving a comment on your support ticket will reopen the case and notify the team that you're ready to proceed.

@Leotaurus1995 - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding the support you have received for the crashes you're experiencing in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. As there can be a number of causes behind crashes in-game, it can be difficult for us to investigate and troubleshoot each individual report shared with us within the forum. This is why we create support tickets, as this allows the Player Support team to take a closer look at your unique system files, and to provide you with more tailored troubleshooting.

If you would like us to continue investigating the crashes you've been experiencing, please don't hesitate to re-open your support ticket and we'll gladly continue troubleshooting further.

@moolumbo - Thanks for sharing an update with us, and for letting us know about your experience after installing the Nividia 511.79 drivers. Thank you for letting us know what additional troubleshooting steps you tried after the crashes started again.

We would recommend that you avoid deleting any files within the Assassin's Creed Documents folder, such as the cache folder, as we're unable to guarantee that deleting this file won't cause additional trouble in future. If these crashes occur again, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can take a closer look at this without deleting any of the files within the Documents folder.

@ChuckKatse - I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing crashes in-game as well. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding some of the troubleshooting steps we provide as well. When we begin an investigation into a technical case, such as a crash, we do advise players try our basic PC troubleshooting steps first, as these steps help to resolve a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes. That being said, we also acknowledge that there can be many potential causes behind a crash / freeze, and that further investigation may be required.

If you would like us to open up a support ticket for you so we can look into these crashes further, please can you provide us with all of the requested information?

@S7igma957 - Thank you for letting us know more about the crashes you experience, as well as providing an image of the locations where these crashes tend to occur. I'd recommend updating your support ticket with this information, as this ensure that we keep all information from the investigation into your crashes in one place.

Please note that each Ubisoft title has different system requirements, so you may find that you have no issues when playing one Ubisoft title but experience technical issues when playing another. We ask players to disable background applications, including overlays, as one of our first troubleshooting steps as this helps us to identify if there is any background software conflicting with the game files. I would recommend that you try this step if you haven't already. You can also try running a Clean Boot, as this will also help you to identify if there are any background programmes conflicting with the game and causing these crashes to occur.

If you are still experiencing crashes after disabling background applications, then I'd recommend that you update your support ticket with this information so we can continue to troubleshoot the issue further.

@VaIius - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Just to clarify, has your issue been resolved after updating your drivers and Assassin's Creed Valhalla? Or are you still encountering these freezes in-game? If so, then would you be able to try these basic PC troubleshooting steps to see if this helps to alleviate the issue?

@NzRusko - I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering crashes during "The Big Finish" on PS4. As this Megathread is dedicated to crashes / freezes on PC, would you be able to create a new thread about this issue? We can then investigate this further without going off-topic within this thread.

Thank you 🙂

official-response
  • ChuckKatse
    ubisoft:x-posts, 359

AC Valhalla has to be the number one game of lousy performance and problems. The (AC) in the Valhalla title must be for "Always Crashing". Playing on my PC, In just one area of the game Rouechire Fortress located in Cent, I crashed three different times, all of a sudden just went flying through the air until I finally died and lost sound twice. This was just trying to get the five treasure chests located there. Finally I just gave up and moved on since while you are in a hostile area of the game you cannot save your progress and got tired of starting the Fortress over and over again. Ubisoft should be ashamed for putting out such a pathetic game. Their forums are riddled with players reporting problems. I will tell you straight if you folks at Ubisoft were working for me, you would be standing in unemployment lines with recommendations that would make it hard for you to get another job in the gaming industry.

• S7igma957

@ubi-borealis Game runs perfect for me in Norvay, Cassandra DLC, Vinland, Ireland. I have zero crashes in those location with version 1.3 and now with version 1.4
    Thats why i can say for sure, that there is no connection to background software.

• VaIius
    ubisoft:x-posts, 8

@ubi-borealis The problem still exists. To confirm this, I recorded a short video less than two minutes long. The advice from the guide does not help. I note that I actively played the game the day before the release of patch 1.4.1 - and no freezes were noticed. They appeared immediately after patch 1.4.1. Patch 1.4.1.1 slightly improved the situation - the freezes were preserved, but became less noticeable. After patch 1.4.1.2, they became a little less noticeable, but they are still observed. During this period, I did not make drastic changes in my PC or software. A couple of times I updated the Nvidea video drivers and regularly update Windows. Updating drivers, according to my personal observations, only affects the number of crashes. Their influence on the freezes was not noticed.

A small commentary on the video. I forgot to switch the game from Russian to English, but I think that everything will be clear anyway. Graphics settings are set to the maximum for my graphics card (except for draw distance and cloud quality). The game is installed on the SSD M.2 NVME. The video is divided into two parts. The first shows that the frame rate is stable until the quest is completed. Then there was a sharp drop in frame rate at the time of completing the quest and receiving the reward, and a second later, another drop at the time of autosave. At these moments, freezes are observed in the game. In the second half of the video, you can see a stable frame rate again (there are some deviations on the graph, but they are not visually felt in the game itself), and then there are sharp drops in the frame rate at intervals of several seconds. At the same time, a quick save icon appears in the lower right corner of the screen. At the end of the video, I open the overlay twice - and a few seconds after closing it, there is a sharp drop in frame rate, and then another slightly less noticeable at the time of autosave.
    spoiler

P.S. I will add that in the past I have always played the game with background applications enabled - and they did not cause problems. But at the time of recording, for the purity of the experiment, I turned off all background applications. 

• longjohn119

@chuckkatse Yeah but their sales of Microtransactions .... or what Ubisoft Corporate Propaganda likes to call "Player Recurring Investment" (What exactly is the ROI on these?) were up 70-80% over AC Odyssey

And that's all that really matters to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot 

Suggested Topics