ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

For starters, let me state that FC 6 is NOT a bad game. At all. There is a lot to enjoy here, and I thoroughly did. But I popped FC 5 in a fee days ago, after finishing 6 and I believe 5 is better overall.

Let's begin with what's great about 6.
    1.) Very large and interesting map. It's always better when devs have flexibility to make a new world to play in. Love it.
    2.) Tropical exotic locations allow for more interesting side quests. The adventurer in me begs to explore ancient caverns and pirate coves, discovering treasures and escaping booby traps (need more of that, btw. More elaborate traps and caves etc). Maybe it's my age, but when I can hear the Indy theme in my head during a treasure hunt, it's a good thing.
    3.) Rideable horses. It's about damn time. Since FC Primal (which is the best in the series btw) having mounts, I thought it would be the norm going forward to have at least one animal to ride, but no. We had to wait. And at last, these lovelies come along and I ALMOST couldn't be happier (see my post "who programmed the horses?). Still, very nice.
    4.) Dani. A good overall character with few flaws. Male Dani has a terrible haircut though. Voice acting was very strong. Well done.
    5.) Pretty good villains. Giancarlo Esposito certainly elevated the game. Should've been in it way more though. Diego was also fun to watch. The other bosses I found to be semi-cookie-cutter, but serviceable nonetheless. None are bad. Not as good the Seed family though.
    6.) Weapon customization. Good stuff. Not too difficult to find materials. Overall a plus.
    7.) Pirate outfit. That's just hilarious and the perks are excellent. I do have to say that the hat should've included long, Jack Sparrow-esque hair with it, but still my go-to outfit.
    8.) Amigos. I haven't unlocked the chicken yet, but the others are all fun to have around.
    9.) Certain side characters. Namely Danny Trejo. Too bad he was only in it a little bit. And the Monteros were all very good.
    10.) Half of the Resolver weapons/Supremos. About half were neat. The harpoon launcher, the shotgun pistol/shield combo, chain gun, nail gun. I found all of these to be fun. I may have missed one. The rest I either never used or they didn't function properly, so I couldn't use them. Same with the Supremos. The mortar launcher, emp, healer pack and Oula pack were good. Didn't care for the others.
    11.) Lots to do. Almost never a dull moment with treasure hunts, chests, side quests, etc. Most of them were good.

Now the not-so-good bits about 6...
    1.) Overall story was kind of dull. There was never a "Dani, I. Am. Your. Father kind of moment in it. It was fairly straight forward, which most times isn't a bad thing, but 1 twist would've been neat.
    2.) The poor side characters got way too much screen time. Holy crap, Juan is annoying! Doesn't that guy ever STFU?!? Can't I hear more from Clara? And now that I've finished the game, I can say, unequivocally that the entirety of the Maximas Matanzas story line was awful. Just bloody awful. Zero redeeming qualities. The character design, the dialogue, their music, all of it was atrocius. I'd rather have the actor that played Hurk sing show tunes of shows I hate in on a loop than listen to these turds one more time. I'd rather listen to Kit Harrington give a lecture on acting! At least that'd be funny! I'd rather listen to one of my ex's tell me every one of my flaws! I'd rather sit through an entire Jar Jar Binks origin film! Were I running an actual revolution, these jackasses would be nowhere near being vocal/visible leaders. I'd gladly send them on suicide missions until they didn't come back. The Legends and college kids were ok, but just ok.
    3.) No perks system for leveling up. Nuff said. Shoulda been there. Not the worst thing ever, but annoying.
    4.) Crappy or nonfunctional weapons. Some weapons never worked at all (hello EVERY sniper rifle) and some barely worked (hello, revolvers). Not sure what's up with those, but I expect submitted this to support, because it needs to be remedied.
    5.) No guns-for-hire. Now why the hell can't I gather a couple guerrillas and take them with me, hmm? After 5 and New Dawn did it so well, that should've been a thing. I call shenanigans. Big time.
    6.) Insurgency. Just let me reset the bases like 5 and New Dawn whenever I want, as much as I want. No need for this weekly nonsense.

That's pretty much it. As you can see, overall, it's. Solid title, but it is lacking in some very key things.

Now onto FC 5 positives...
    1.) The best overall story in an FC game. I think the story in 3 and 4 are excellent, most times (though your character in 3 is insufferable), 5's was just so well written, it was terrifying. The males of the Seed family scared the [censored] out of me. I had genuine pity for Faith at the end, because I knew she was just a tool for Joseph, to be used and discarded. John, I genuinely hated, mostly because he was a revolting sadist. He was so well preformed, I always do his region first. Jacob was the scariest though, with the brainwashing bits. Still gives me chills. And all of the actors, both good and evil were top notch. I didn't dislike a single performance.
    2.) Rook is the way to go from here on out. Complete customization should be in damn near every game, (unless it's spider-man or something where you just do costumes and weapons) from here on out. While Dani's dialogue was ok, the Doomguy, strong, silent type protagonist is far better, and more immersive. Unless you're playing a Duke Nukem game, I dont much care for player dialogue in an FPS. You always run that risk of just being annoying. FC Primal avoided this by having a made up language and subtitles.
    3.) Fantastic map/location. Having actually lived in Montana, I was impressed. Though Hope County is fictitious, it smacked of MT. From the wildlife, to the towns to the waterways, it just brought me back there and I loved every second of it. I miss it, but not the winters there, holy crap!
    4.) Weapon selection was great. The ONLY thing missing was the actual old fashioned six shooters lots of people there have, handed down from family members. They all functioned well and felt great.
    5.) Vehicles are superior. I don't know if it's on purpose, but the cars in FC 6 just feel sluggish. Granted, I mostly ride a horse or fly in 6, but still, all the cars feel like you're stuck in tar in 6. Not so in 5. It could be the crappiest Gremlin, most souped up sports ar or most insane prepper truck, the vehicles in 5 just work well. I do miss the Buzzer copters though.
    6.) Guns for hire. What a great idea! If you aren't crazy about the big side characters and don't want an animal sidekick, just recruit 2 npc buddies! And dismiss them at your leisure! What could be better?!?
    7.) More fast travel options. Nuff said there. Should ways be more rather than less.
    8.) More random, crazy wildlife encounters. Those are always neat, topping a hill, only to run face first into a bear or a bison.
    9.) Good Dlcs. Now this isn't exactly fair because I have no plans to buy the Vaas dlc. I MAY buy the Pagan or Joseph ones, but I found Vaas to be excruciatingly annoying, so I'm skipping that one and haven't played the others yet. However, 2 of the 3 for FC 5 were very good, very fun (Mars and Zombies) and the Vietnam one was serviceable enough.
    10. The big one. Arcade mode. Any action/FPS game that has a good, functioning level editor is right up my alley. Whether its Doom 2016, FC 5, Disney Infinity or even Lego Indy 2, I'm there for it. I love making my own stuff and I love seeing other people's creations. Arcade isn't as good as Doom's snap map for ease of use and has a few more bugs, but overall, there are some sick levels out there worth everyone's time.
    11.) Overall performance. So far I've encountered lots of lag in FC 6. In comparison to 5, 6 is a mess there, but this can be fixed via patch.
    12.) Reaplayability. FC 5 has it in spades. I may never replay 6 again from the beginning so I never have to suffer through Maximas Matanzas again. I will just stick to the Insurgency bits and try to forget those characters ever happened.

Now, with all that said, 5 does have some drawbacks. Not many, but they're still there...

1.) Complete lack of any Native American culture. The devs said they went to MT to research. There were videos of it. You can't walk almost anywhere in MT without tripping over some Native heritage or historical site. No Native Npcs, Rook skins or outfits. Complete nonsense.
    2.) Montanans don't have southern accents. Unless they're transplants. Who made that call at Ubisoft, I wonder?
    3.) Lack of exotic treasure hunts. I know the game is set in MT, but there's a ton of Indigenous history there to draw from. Hell, Ubisoft could've made up a whole new tribe to use for that kind of stuff, or just used the groups from Primal to gather artifacts from. Treasure hunts for gear are neat, but get great with actual treasures and lore. The more Indy the better, I say!
    4.) No mounts. People in MT have horses. There are lots of horses in MT. In the town I lived in, old cowboys (real cowboys) would sometimes ride their horses into town and pick up supplies. Young and middle aged ranchers would use horse trailers, etc, but its a thing there. The planes were a neat inclusion, but I'd have traded them for horses in a heartbeat to make it more authentic.
    5.) Lack of post story cultist encounters. Not the biggest issue, but in FC 3, 4 and 5, after the credits roll, there were damn near no villains left on the map. Granted, you'd won and the baddies were vanquished, so it makes sense, but when playing New Dawn (and even Ghost Recon Wildlands/Breakpoint) there are always enemies to keep you playing. You could always run into a random patrol and it keeps things fresh. Resetting the bases was a definite plus, but the patrols make it even better. New Dawn and 6 have this feature and it's great.

That's it. Far Cry 6 is a solid entry in the series, but 5 is a better overall game. And that's not even taking into account New Dawn as a massive Add-on-ish sequel, expanding on that game's goodness. That only makes it better! If you have any counter points or think I missed something, let me know!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Kalvski
    2 posts

I must admit I did not read your entire post (I’m a pretty good skimmer though) and I 100% agree with you. There was something about the atmosphere that I think was missing from 6. Loved your points about each though. Don’t even get me started on the hot mess that are the DLC’s for 6. I can’t believe I wasted money on the season pass as after diving into the first two for about 20 minutes each and assuming the third will be the same, it will be a complete waste of my money as they are trash and nothing I’m interested in, @the_king_baby

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

@kalvski dang. Sorry to hear the dlc stunk! They really should offer refunds if something is just bad, but if it's functional (unlike a cyberpunk situation), refunds will never be...

• Sleezure
    139 posts

@the_king_baby Far Cry 5 was better than Far Cry 6. Far Cry 4 was better than Far Cry 5. This is a series in decline. Now bring on the NFTs!

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

@sleezure I disagree. 4 was very very good. Far better than 3 and 6, but I feel 5 is the best of these. However, and this is highly debatable I'm sure, FC Primal is the best of the entire series.

• Hexagon12
    34 posts

Summed it up well champ. Thanks. Agree totally with everything posted especially re Maximas Matanzas - what were they thinking other than let's appease the woke? Very witty summation of how appalling that bit of the story was. Even moving around their swamp lair in 3rd person was enough to make me consider taking up competitive rum drinking! Sad how all the decent characters (El Tigre, RonRon) got killed but those lemons and the pathetic poet survived. In the real world they would last about 5 minutes, as would the yappy, crappy roller-dog amigo. I would have also liked to have seen more of the bird from the Monterros, what's her name - Espada, wasn't it?

I think most of the other games in the series are better. From 1 right through to New Dawn. The only one I have never played is the prehistoric one as I hate using bows (other than crossbows or carbon fibre high tension and accurate ones) and spears and don't have an affiliation for wooly mammoths or ape people. Keep on posting as you write truth.

• Aazhyd
    71 posts

I agree with most points. FC5 was much better. FC6 seems rushed, everything that adds true value to the game was skipped, unlike FC5. The atmosphere of that game was so great.

For the FC6 DLC's, Pagan Min was just released. It's basically the same as Vaas' Insanity, just with different setting, character and some minor changes. So you're fine buying one, because the last one will probably be similar.

• modmcsupersport
    15 posts

@the_king_baby Game play wise, yeah, FC5 was a better game. As far as the story goes.....well, haven't finished the game, so I can't really say on that, but so far, it looks like FC6 is a better story, but that can change depending on the endings and such.

To me the vehicles other than horses, the guns, gear, perks, and missions seem better in FC5. As someone who has 600hours in FC5 and 34 in New Dawn, it doesn't endear them to me that they moved more toward FCNewDawn than the gameplay of FC5....and I hate the story of FC5, but the gameplay is so fun it allows me to play and basically skip cutscenes and ignore the story for the most part.

• rickidoo2010
    141 posts

I think clearly the devs were going for a much "bigger" game with 6, with a wide assortment of characters. When there are but a few characters as in FC 3, it's easier to come up with a few that are real stand outs. But in 6, there was so many, they begin to be a bit diffuse.

As for Juan, he was clearly a fix for a design decision which was to have a lot of weapons and mods and a system to carry all of them around with you in the world. It's like they wanted us to get all excited about having access to any weapon in the inventory, but for me at least that fell flat on its face. "One weapon one ammo type" at a time just kills it for me, and the lack of ability to pick up an enemy weapons really takes a major part of the fun away. I can't blame UBI for trying something new... that's what 90% of complain about sometimes, but the weapon system... hence Juan "Right tool for the right job" non-sense. This was a fix looking for a problem.

I am a fan of FC 6, but a game like FC 4 / FC 5 / ND kicks butt when it comes to excitement in combat.

Not to mention the outpost resets which I love.

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

@hexagon12 no bows, eh? Then, yeah, Primal isn't for you. I think it's the best game in the series, as it's the most creative in terms of its gameplay, weapons and animal companions. Bows, spears, slings, sabretooth tigers etc all make the player think differently about how to approach enemies and bases. Granted some things are simply primitive versions of things, like grenades vs bee-hives being dropped on enemies, but I think taking that huge step back in time made the devs more creative in their decision making. And it did have some very unique side characters. The only way I feel it could've been improved would've been in character customization. You've just got the one option and I'm sure many players would've liked to switch it up. Other than that, it's my favorite one. Nothing says awesome quite like riding a sabretooth tiger into a group of enemies and slaughtering them all by hand. All it needed was dinosaurs.

• Madhawk80
    122 posts

@kalvski I was able to get 400 hours of playtime from Far Cry 5 and finished it a couple of times. I also enjoyed New Dawn.

Far cry 6 has stayed at 51% completed for weeks now and I have no desire to log back into the game.

DLC sounds bad too.

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

@madhawk80 I will surely dive back in at some point, but I think I may see if I can turn off dialogue and cutscenes when I do. I like the islands, just not the conversations so much. And when they finally fix the revolvers and snooper rifles, it'll be even better.

• tcarlisle2012
    181 posts

Clearly, this is a mostly subjective matter. I would also suggest that ones opinion of a games quality when judging games in the past and stack ranking, it is about a lot more than just the quality of the games. I personally think FC4 was best. But, it also happens to be the first FC game I ever bought or played. So I was experiencing the Far Cry experience for the first time. I played FC3 after FC4.

In addition, I was in a much better place professionally, and family-wise back then. Little did I know at the time, I was at the pinnacle of my life in several aspects. Its hard to not think that doesn't have an effect on how I rate these games.

In terms of cultures and world types, I just really prefer the imaginary world of Kyrat better than FC5's Montana or FC6's Cuba.

I really wanted to love FC5, and I guess I did, but not like FC4. I am sure if I had never played FC4, and if I picked it up today and played it, I probably wouldn't hold it in such high esteem.

• hammurabi-sega
    7 posts

I agree that depsite having being criticized when it was released, FC 5 is an excellent game.

The villains were good, Montana and human companions great, ending was one of the most memorable of any video games I have played (and it makes you realize why the developers did not create a proper hero for the game but let you create your oww character through the editor : it makes much more sense with the end of the story), and the three albums of cult music composed by Dan Romer for the game are one if not the OST I have listened to the most in my entire life.

I really praise Ubysoft for FC5.

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

@tcarlisle2012 of course, all opinions are subjective. I happen to have played them mostly in order. I skipped FC 2, as I wasn't crazy about the first one. It had its moments, but 3 was a great improvement and 4 was even better. Certain things about 4 are unbeatable. Riding an elephant while blasting enemies with an elephant gun!!!

• H8MyBoss
    6 posts

@the_king_baby I didn't read your epic novel of a post, I don't have to. I'm just here to say I read the title of your post, and I agree with you.

I though FC6 was going to be t!ts. I bought into the hype because of the main antagonizor, Giancarlo Esposito, loved him in Breaking Bad. But I just felt the gameplay of FC6 was sluggish and dull, and, sad as it is to admit, a bit too hard for this old fart; I think the NPC's hit way too hard compared to damage I dealt. I'll stick with FC3 and 5.

• olalaquebien
    69 posts

Far Cry 2 and 5. Still the best.

• tcarlisle2012
    181 posts

@the_king_baby Yep. That is a high point for me too. And not being able to shoot elephants.... well done Ubisoft.

• The_King_baby
    Original poster 35 posts

@h8myboss funny you mention the npcs hitting very hard. So, here you are, if you are playing as male Dani, a pretty strong, young guy, clearly a fighter, getting physically knocked to the ground every single time you get too close to a soldier. Ridiculous. Sure, the big ones you'd get your [censored] handed to you, but you've gotta assume at least some of the troops would be weaker than you, but no... You're kind of a sissy when it comes to melee...and you have a dang machete!

• GameGuru2018
    215 posts

@the_king_baby

The reason that you liked Far Cry 5 more is simple - it's closer to you.

You may find hundreds of pros and cons of these two games.....it's only waves on the surface.

It was Montana.
    So close and understandable.
    Visually, mentally, musically.....

Yes, even musically.
    People were writing that music was better in Far Cry 5.
    Music was not better!
    Simply "european ear" may not be ready for Latin American music and rhythms.

For instance, let's take "Suenos de libertad".
    Wonderful song and music.

Especially this part - "Que ya no este con nosotros
    Nuestro guerrrero ya nos dejo
    Pero ya ha semrado en nosotros
    La fuerza de la liberacion

Rrresistensia compatriotas
    Que aqui la vida ha de continuar
    Y nosotros, los yaranos
    Podremos finalmente lograr
    Libertad

Nuestra Yara unida en paz

This part needed more cover versions.

Only imagine how it could sound in good orchestra version....

In the song, the melody hides a little behind the rythm.
    Orchestra could have pulled it out.

With violins, flutes.....Like a wave! Power.
    Melody is beautiful.

It had to be in many different versions and covers.

So, the_king_baby, Far Cry 6 is no worse than Far Cry 5.
    Far Cry 5 is just closer to you.

It happens sometimes. The game could be worse but you may like it more.

Suggested Topics