ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Wytune
    Original poster 4 posts

I don't understand ... Why in game is a "black" Viking? Where is the logic?🤔

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• KmarkoPL
    386 posts

@wytune It is a game there don't need to be any reason for that, even if there was Chinese viking.

• TheNorfolkian
    1215 posts

@wytune Why does it bother you?

• WolfKissed82
    25 posts

@wytune Well to be honest I do not really see the issue

But people with Darker/Black skin did actually travel to Scandanavian regions and settle mainly from countries in southern hemisphere and up through Europe.

The Term Viking is quite broad for example ....

Academically it simply means people of scandanavian origin or with scanadanavian connections whom was active in trading and raiding within and outside scandanavia

However the term Viking is commonly reffered to as seabourne explorer/adventurer

However in Old Norse language it means " a man from Vik " were scholars have hotly debated were Vik was located ( it is said Vik was a specific bay area in Southern Norway.

But the word Viking has appeared on Runes in both Noun and Verb form so it will be pretty small minded to claim the word Viking is specifically of people of caucasion skin tones

https://scandinaviafacts.com/were-the-vikings-black/: (https://scandinaviafacts.com/were-the-vikings-black)

• TheNorfolkian
    1215 posts

@wolfkissed82 Yeah, it does seem entirely ‘logical’ to speculate that there would be at least one Vikingr with melanin.

• Wytune
    Original poster 4 posts

@wolfkissed82 😁 traders others country's, but NOT VIKINGS.
    There were no black Vikings. Here’s just the fantasy of the developers. Fewer tears from blacks or Asians. 😉

• thegardener25
    170 posts

I think the OP is trolling! 'Wytune's only question about this game is 'why there is a "black" viking?

I think it would be great if the dev's introduced another couple of dozen black characters/raiders in a future update. If for no other reason, than to noise up a few people. I remember when Vagn first appeared in the game. There were a few posts on the forum, where some players questioned Vagn's inclusion. There were some of the usual nutbags that barracked the dev's for pandering, or being politically correct! I'm sure there were calls of tokenism regarding some characters (not just Vagn!). And I'm sure there were claims that Vagn's presence was, 'Immersion Breaking'! Lol! I never questioned his skin colour at all. But when I read some of the forum posts, I searched 'Black Vikings', & I'm in no doubt that there were indeed black people living in Scandinavia at that time, as well as Black Vikings! I'm not accusing the OP, or any other individual user/player of racism. But some of the comments from a few months ago might, just be down to naivety, although some of the comments may have come from racists, or [censored] sympathisers (apparently hitler had a thing for norsemen, or something?). But, I thought he also had a weird desire to have his skin turned brown!?!? Gosh! I wish they'd make their minds up, them crazy nazis! Lol!

@Wytune, There were Black vikings! Why are you denying it? Look it up.

• TheNorfolkian
    1215 posts

@thegardener25 Great points. Your rant made me think about Azar as well, as I am sure there are players out there who think inserting a ‘transgendered’ or ‘gender fluid’ character was Ubisoft’s way of expressing its stance on inclusivity in contemporary society. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of their reasons, but there’s nothing inherently wrong or unethical about that. That said, cross-dressing and/or self-actualization/becoming who one is, are not contemporary ideas.

• Wytune
    Original poster 4 posts

@thegardener25
    Fantasy and paranoia are limitless. I understand...
    Yes, who speak the undistorted story to is that [censored]. Bravo 😂👏
    Archeology speaks for itself, there is no evidence that there were black Vikings, pagans. Across Northern Europe. From the Baltic tribes to the Baltic Sea, Slavs to Scandinavians.

• AnimusLover
    264 posts

@wytune Blacks and Asians have a rich, unique history so have no need to be a part of Viking history which isn't nearly as interesting anyway. This bad faith thread should be closed by the mods.

• Wytune
    Original poster 4 posts

@animuslover
    It won’t change the story, but it can be falsified. What many are trying to falsified and “learn” to do it.
    Every nation has a unique history, some like it, others don’t.

• azullFR
    2081 posts

just a little add,

3rd century : a black roman soldier (from Nubia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubia)) who, later, became a saint :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Maurice: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Maurice)

Not a viking, sure, but he died in switzeralnd end of 3rd century as a soldier and as a christian ... 😉

• programmer1312
    1 posts

@wytune Hello. I think there are no reasons and there shouldn't be, it's just a game, an idea of the people who developed it. As a game developer, I can tell you that in terms of development, this game is excellent. This has been detailed in sirinsoftware

• Choijz
    1 posts

@thenorfolkian Because, much like Netflix ruined Witcher with some stupid equality having a very white character from the book be casted as a black instead of being correct, Ubisoft did the same only to expand the public interest for the game. It is Racism!

• TheNorfolkian
    1215 posts

@choijz I think what they did to Nilfgaard armor in the first season is more offensive than the nonsense you’re talking about.

• Wascaliwabbit
    42 posts

@wytune Why are you so concerned about this one particular 'inaccuracy' in a game full of fantasy lore?

• SalinaJames
    9 posts
    Why in game is a "black" Viking? Where is the logic?

The most amazing thing about Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, a game about Vikings, is how it somehow articulately ties together the stories of pirates, ancient Egyptian curses and George Washington.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 5779 posts

Hello there,

We will now be locking this thread, as this discussion has started to head in a very different direction and has the potential to be considered as trolling.

Please be careful in the future to avoid making any comments or posts that could be interpreted as racist, or else discriminatory towards those from other ethnic backgrounds. We also ask you to respect your fellow players. I recommend that you take a moment to read our forum rules, as violating these can result in action being taken on your account.

Thank you. 🙂

Official Response

Suggested Topics