ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• AI.BLUEFOX
    Original poster 209 posts

After Microsoft buying Activision, it seems the markets are looking at what happens to other game developers and publishers.

Ubisoft make an obvious target, and their shares have gone up by 25% since the Microsoft announcement, so it could be feasible (although note the shares are low compared to a 5 year average). Last time this happened was with Vivendi attempting a hostile takeover back in 2017, but Yves Guillemot and his brothers were clear they weren't for sale then.

Since then of course, they haven't had an easy ride. From game delays to internal personnel issues and resignations to a widening gap between the company and gamers I wonder if things could be different now. Yves himself may be wondering if it's time to cash in and retire or he may be so invested in the company that he doesn't want to let go. For me it would have been a negative step for us as a community for Vivendi to take over back then, but with the future of gaming heading towards a platform agnostic, streaming based future I wonder.

Would a takeover or buyout lead to a watered down set of games in which a niche GR would struggle, or would it provide the big company support that ensures quality and consistency.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1247 posts

The Ubisoft BAR for making games is pushing daisies and it has been for a while now so that would be the smart thing to do.

Believing that they can come up with a decent (not even a proper) GR game is a Utopia that my Grandchildren will never see.

Microsoft buying Activision is a will see situation for sure but I am not worry about anybody else buying Ubi because again, the GR franchise is as good as dead for me (and for most as well), I am just waiting for the wake and funeral .

• Church367A
    147 posts
    Would a takeover or buyout lead to a watered down set of games in which a niche GR would struggle, or would it provide the big company support that ensures quality and consistency.

I doubt it would make much of a difference if it was Ubi continuing down it's path of insanity or say Microsoft/Sony utilizing Ubi's IPs after purchasing Ubi to make future games. That said, I would still welcome any kind of change from say Microsoft or Sony buying out Ubi or any kind of takeover just due to the complete incompetence Ubi has willfully shown towards it's fanbase in its continued antics of chasing tone-deaf fads and then going silent only to reappear in their next announcement of insanity with more anti consumer garbage in NFTs.

As for the quoted section, well I already view the existing games that I once loved as watered down or fundamentally changed for the worse. I have no intention of picking up R6 Extraction, that dumpster fire is not R6, I haven't bought an AC game since Black Flag, Ghost Recon is the definition of watered down mediocrity, and Splinter Cell has little hope due to the before mentioned downfalls and recent announcements and trends. Both Ghost Recon and R6 just are not what they once were and haven't been for quite some time now due to the direction Ubisoft chose to take them. From my perspective, a change such as a Microsoft takeover has a better chance at bringing back those games' identities than Ubisoft even if that is a microscopically small chance.

Oddly enough, and counter to what I've typed above, I do think Sony could make an amazing Splinter Cell game due to the way they like to make "blockbuster" style of games and could actually pull off a great Tom Clancy espionage Splinter Cell game.

• Virtual-Chris
    805 posts

One thing I’ve come to conclude over the last few months playing the Division 2, Breakpoint, and now FC6, is that Ubisoft creates some fantastically detailed open worlds. This is truly their core competence. What they generally struggle with is then layering a great game on top of these amazing worlds.

The Division 2 stands out as very different from the other 2, in that it not only includes a great setting, but also a tremendously engaging game. FC6 and Breakpoint are really lame “games” in comparison despite having much bigger and arguably better open worlds.

How does this relate to the topic at hand? Well, the studio responsible for one of Ubisofts best current games (TD2) is Massive Studios which has a different DNA than Paris or other major organically grown Ubisoft studios. I think what’s needed is better leadership and vision at the studio level. A change in corporate ownership without this change in DNA at the studio level is unlikely to have a positive effect and may actually make things worse through added disruption and corporate goals and ambitions that get in the way of making good games.

• Kean_1
    157 posts

@AI-BLUEFOX

While I could see MS possibly entertaining the idea, it could all be for not for someone like me regarding the future of these IPs if MS made them XB/Windows exclusives. Speaking from the perspective purely whether its good or bad for the TC brand, GR, etc.......yes, I believe it would be.

Speaking purely from a selfish point of view, I would prefer if Sony made the move instead for reasons @Church367A stated and the small fact that I'm a PS player. 😉

In either case, I think there is a big opportunity in creating really unique, exciting experiences with these franchises that can connect/reconnect with fans that Ubi has grown out of touch with.

• Hugo-FOU
    174 posts

@ai-bluefox It’s an interesting question.

There’s always an element of thinking, ‘are we better with the devil we know?’, but we still have no communication and looking at the direction they’ve been taking with games like Frontline and XDefiant, I don’t see that it can hurt.

Sure, Motherland was good imo and BP overall, is far better than it was when it started, but I’ve been back to playing the Witcher 3 later and whilst it’s a very different genre, the depth and quality of a game that is now almost 7 years old, makes BP look rather pathetic.

Perhaps a fresh start for the company is just what’s needed.

• Megalodon-26
    294 posts

For me, the largest benefit for Ubi being bought by Xbox, would be that they would no longer have the same financial pressure to release their games before they are ready. Imagine how different Breeakpoint might have turned out IF they didn't have to rush it out before the 2019 holiday season, to replace the delayed AC Valhalla.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1247 posts

If we keep with the Devil we know? The next game will be either a crappier game even or same crap game we have so far so if a BP 2.0 is what's coming... nothing gain nothing lost.

If with new Devil? either they dumped the IP and we are now w/o a GR game but so what? that would be at least a good Legacy for GR as any other game would be similar and you can just readjust TD or FC to have both TPV & FPV. But why pay Millions if not Billions to just dump the IP? makes no sense.

Or they give it to a Studio (Black Foot Studios as an example) and with a good budget they finish Ground Branch or add the stuff needed to create the Proper GR game that Ubisoft or the Paris Studio don't want to make or create?

Win Win for the community. Well, for those of us expecting a ground tactical shooter and not a semi gear score/exploration/RPG game

• Virtual-Chris
    805 posts

@bigrexxx I’m not sure more Dev time on Breakpoint prior to release would have benefitted them or us. They only realized they were on the completely wrong path after release.

• AI.BLUEFOX

@virtual-chris yeah more elapsed time was needed to let the ideas and decisions have time to dwell and the realisation of what they were doing sink in. The "alpha" was way too close to release and the whole thing was rushed.

• AI.BLUEFOX

@kean_1

Didn't Sony pick up the heat for not releasing another Socom? That could be an interesting way for GR to develop.

• Megalodon-26
    294 posts

@virtual-chris No Ubisoft game before or since Breakpoint, (other than maybe some AC titles) have been announced, revealed gameplay, held an Alpha, closed Beta, open Beta, and worldwide launch, in the span of less than 5 months. So there was no real time to act on the feedback before it was released.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1247 posts

Clearly what they wanted to make and what the GR community (and even most casuals) wanted was as close as night is to the day. The shellacking at launch helped but by then, the rotten core was going to be rotten no matter what they did or do. Hell, even the Mod clearly questions some of the core issues the game has even more.

They can say whatever they want, this game was going to be a test bed for what the bar of less expenditure, less effort and more gains was going to be but they took it too far that even the Casuals and the Lemmings (well, most of them) raised up with forks and pitches. 😁

• NewFool7
    51 posts

My goodness, Sony quality Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and Rainbow Six games? That's pretty much the dream...

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1247 posts

@newfool7

Well, not really if they make it Sony Exclusive.

Only time will tell but I am already sporting a chubby in the nether regions for whomever takes over and makes Ives a Billionaire so he stops crapping on the games I like the most.

• jmagnum50
    136 posts

@ai-bluefox Honestly, Bluefox, I'd rather they don't. Basically because I am a PlayStation gamer myself, and even if future titles were to come to the pc, I don't have a setup powerful enough for more modern titles. I'd rather they stay 3rd party because I would like to see what comes next in the Tom Clancy and Far Cry lineups. Not to mention that the current shooter catalog from the PS studios seems a bit thin. Course I could be wrong.

• NewFool7
    51 posts

@jmagnum50 What if they were purchased by Sony though? Then you'd have access to those now first party titles. I want to see some good Tom Clancy and Far Cry games. Ubisoft has proven they are currently unworthy and incapable of creating a proper and modern version of those franchises. Those franchises would be in much greater hands if they were under Sony.

• Lolt6
    86 posts

Gotta wonder how the execs and investors think if Ubi is actually bought by MS or Sony......
    Now all I see is, Ubi is likely won't make it a sale, just like Vivendi's hostile takeover in past years.

• Keltimus
    24 posts

I think after MS spending almost $70 billion, they're likely not going to buy anyone else up for a while. There's now a very good possibility that future COD titles will be exclusive to Xbox leaving Sony in need of a good military shooter for their players. They should very much consider bringing back SOCOM which would be cheaper for them. If they don't, then they just might have to reach in their pockets to pick up Ubisoft and its Tom Clancy IPs.

As luck would have it, my close friend who is also an extremely close friend to SOCOM's original creative director is coming to my military retirement ceremony next month and its very likely this conversation will come up. Although it's possible, but very not likely, that before my ceremony, Sony may already have a public announcement or notable leak regarding a plan to satisfy their military shooter customers.

Personally I'd wish they go with the SOCOM option. I have a concern that Sony could eye Ubisoft for those Frontline and XDefiant titles specifically because they directly compete with COD for the casual shooter audience. That could be bad for us.

• Megalodon-26
    294 posts

Honestly, I just don't see Sony being interested in buying Ubi, even if they can afford to buy them. They don't make the types of games that Sony would be willing to spend billions of dollars for.

Suggested Topics