ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• toreadorvampire
    Original poster 56 posts

Pretty much what the title says really. I've just started playing GR:B recently. I held off purchasing at launch because of its bad rep, but after hearing that many improvements have been made I picked it up. I've previously played & really enjoyed GR:W.

I'm finding that Breakpoint's enemies way easier to handle than Wildlands though, and (with only around 20h in) here's what seems to be the main issues:

• The enemy AI is no way near aggressive enough
    • The enemy AI is "stupid"/makes dumb decisions
    • (I've seen mentioned elsewhere) the sight/spot distance doesn't seem far enough, even when they know an enemy is present (because their pals are having their brains spread evenly across the concrete by sniper rounds).

Specific examples of dumb decisions. I recently went to go take a base in the Smugglers Cove region. After carefully sniping a few select enemies without alerting the rest of the base, I managed to infiltrate and the first thing I did was to climb onto the roof of a warehouse building, to continue picking enemies off. I continued from there but I made a stupid mistake with one of my shots and the base went on alert (without specifically spotting me). Some AI enemies fanned out in a search pattern and indeed, some of them walked towards that warehouse. Of those enemies, not one of them climbed any of the three ladders leading from ground level toward the roof, so I was uninterrupted. One of the enemies who entered the warehouse then heard one of my silenced shots. Again, they didn't go to the roof, their pathing meant that they climbed some crates inside the warehouse to get closer to me, but that didn't have any clear route to the roof, so that's where they stayed (until I headed downstairs and killed them at my leisure). I was STILL left in peace to murder all of their buddies one at a time from a great vantage point.

Other dumb behaviours include finding dead bodies and just merrily wandering around the same area where those dead bodies were found, waiting patiently for their turn to receive a high-velocity facial lead injection,

Another time, in a more open-air setting, I went to raid an enemy encampment and totally screwed the pooch on my ingress & was spotted. The whole encampment (these are Wolves mind you, not regular mooks) went on alert and 2-3 enemies broke camp to come for me. Sure, I got shot up a bit but after dealing with those guys, the rest of the enemies in the camp just stayed behind and eventually came off alert, despite their buddies never reporting back in. If that whole base or even half the base had come for me it would have been game-over 100%. Being more used to the difficulty of Wildlands, I was thoroughly expecting when I missed that shot and put the base on alert, that I was going to have to accept the death and re-attempt the mission from the start. I was thoroughly surprised that the enemy dropped the ball so hard that I was able to recover from a catastrophic mistake.

I'm not playing on Easy mode, either. I've got the enemies set at Extreme difficulty here and it's still way too easy.

The only thing I wonder is whether the difficulty of the game is balanced towards NOT having any AI team-mates? I hear AI team-mates was a late addition to the game, whereas I'm just used to having them on by default. I guess I could try turning them off to increase the difficulty. If that's the case, then perhaps there should be a warning when enabling AI team-mates that doing so is going to make the game significantly easier than it was intended. Or, when enabling them, ensure that the enemy difficulty is sufficiently scaled-up to match how those team-mates are going to help you out.

Otherwise, at the current state of the game it's OK and I'm generally enjoying it. I just wish it was a little harder, especially at the maximum difficulty.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• DanHibikiFanXM
    21 posts

The enemy AI has been bad for a very long time. The problem in my estimation is that they simply don’t use any tactics when engaging the player which is compounded by the fact the player has no control over their team. It’s a bunch of automatons randomly engaging one another with no pattern or goal.

Doesn’t matter if the enemies are Sammys, Wolves, Bodark (even going back to SBC and Unidad)...they only aggressively move toward the threat even as their comrades are being slaughtered around them. This is made worse in interior spaces since they don’t stack or clear rooms correctly (or even, I dunno, maybe throw a flash or frag into the room first??)

Compare this to say the enemies in the GRAW/GRAW2 co-op campaigns. They were suicidal back then too, but they moved in fireteams and reacted to contact more realistically. If you engaged them in the open they’d go prone and return fire. You’d be getting suppressed by one team while another closed in on you. They’d throw grenades, shoot 40mm at you, the whole thing.

The AI both friendly and enemy in Ghost Recon need serious work...they just aren’t good enough.

• toreadorvampire
    Original poster 56 posts

@danhibikifanxm I genuinely thought the enemy AI in GR:W (SBC/Unidad) was much better. By "better" I really mean "much more difficult to consistently defeat with the same cheap tricks". For example I experienced similar situations in GR:W (over 100h of playtime) to the ones I mentioned in my post and in those scenarios I would have been 100% overrun. Almost certainly SBC or Unidad would have killed me and my squad and I'd be restarting the mission.

My most frequent cause for death/reload in GR:W was missing a long-range headshot. That prompted a search party being sent in my general direction. If I couldn't relocate quickly enough and if they found me, the whole base would descend on me and wipe me out. Also, if I kill any of that search party while they're on their way toward me, again, whole base empties and comes for me. That's not happened to me in GR:B yet, and in fact even the little search party can be murdered safely and the enemies at the base just don't care.

I also don't mind so much about the AI of my team. I noticed back in GR:W that they "cheat" and are automatically invisible to the enemy when they're not responding to a specific order from me. Like, I have been using my drone and I've seen AI team-members walk right in front of enemies (like close enough to shake hands) and not be spotted. So, as long as AI team-mates hold fire while I'm stealthy I really don't care much about them. I use them for an occasional sync shot (when a cluster of enemies needs to die together to avoid raising an alert) and an occasional revive when I'm a [censored] and get filled with bullets. I wouldn't really mind turning them off altogether for GR:B. That's especially true since I noticed there's a sync-shot drone I could be using now.

I realise that it's just as cheap for the enemy to cheat and instantly auto-detect me when I'm firing from concealment. But there needs to be a middle-ground. An enemy that casually wanders around an obvious killbox, with 5 of his mates' fresh corpses already on the floor, is basically sending me an RSVP to shoot them. Enemies that don't communicate even within their own team (forget the "call for outside reinforcements", just within a team stationed at a base) are going to be picked apart like wet tissue paper. "I heard shots from here", so the enemy re-orients to take cover from that location, and begins advancing. But instead one guy hears a shot and the rest of their team stands around picking their noses.

The lack of difficulty makes the stakes feel lower. I enjoyed GR:W more than I'm enjoying GR:B because I knew I had to be on my A game with Wildlands, which made it more immersive.

• toreadorvampire
    Original poster 56 posts

Right. Turned all AI teammates off this evening, whilst leaving on Extreme enemy difficulty and now it's feeling more like the same difficulty as Wildlands was (with teammates enabled). It's definitely more engaging now. Sure the enemies still do dumb stuff, but without access to plentiful sync-shots and those three extra assault rifles if things do go awry, it's balanced it right out. Even got KIA a couple of times for dumb mistakes. This is the game I wanted to be playing.

• yoyoyoliang
    2 posts

I don think Ubi care about much AI behavior much. I just hope at least they can bump up NPC density and bring Bodarks new enemy to Daily Fiction Missions.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1165 posts
    I don think Ubi care about much AI behavior much. I just hope at least they can bump up NPC density and bring Bodarks new enemy to Daily Fiction Missions.

And why would they when the majority of the people back in Wildlands where showing them a $20.00 bill if they brought a shirt or pants or boots or rainbow color weapons they so needed for that special Immersive moment. Do you honestly think they will turn and say... Hmmm, let's not make money the easy way, lets spend money, man power & time to code a better AI.

It didn't matter if a bunch of us were pitching a tent asking for better gameplay, we were not showing them that were easy & lose enough with our money so, half churned gear is what we got instead and then BP was conceived.

Granted, a better AI is what they should have given us from launch since this is a so called tactical shooter but, alas, here we are.

• AgentMikel
    196 posts
    Of those enemies, not one of them climbed any of the three ladders leading from ground level toward the roof, so I was uninterrupted.

The A.I. can't use ladders! This game is not The Division where even a very heavy guy can use ladders... This game is Ghost Recon: Breakpoint! 😊

• AgentMikel
    196 posts
    Turned all AI teammates off this evening, whilst leaving on Extreme enemy difficulty and now it's feeling more like the same difficulty as Wildlands was (with teammates enabled).

Well... You can also enable only 1 or only 2 A.I. teammates, if you want.

• toreadorvampire
    Original poster 56 posts
    The A.I. can't use ladders!

Oh dear. It suddenly makes sense as to why "my default tactic" for base-clearing is so effective. Begin by counter-sniping a sniper, clear the ground area around them and then steal their nest and use it to eliminate as many of the others in the base as I can get a clear shot. By the time I run out of targets there's usually only a couple of isolated bad guys left who are easily dealt with at close range.

If the AI enemies are flat-out unable to climb ladders then half the time they won't be able to reach me to do anything about it.

You can also enable only 1 or only 2 A.I. teammates.

I noticed that, thanks. I might enable one, like just Vasily. Zero teammates means no revives, so if I'm down I'm instantly KIA and have to restart.

But - all-said I actually want high-stakes, so I don't want to risk making the game too easy or I'll end up having less fun. This is what just happened to me playing Far Cry 5, game was far too easy. I haven't tried fighting any of those behemoths yet, and from I've read they're awfully bullet-sponge-y. I might enable teammates just for those, perhaps. Depends if I'm enjoying the fight or finding it infuriating.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1165 posts

@toreadorvampire

Thank Virtual-Chris for this one bit ... get yourself a LC-R4 vehicle, the 2 door with the mounted grenade launcher (the one Sam Fisher gave you), go to any Behemoth or AAmon area and get them done in a jiffy if you let one of your teammates fire at them, if you do it, your miles may vary and you may end up dead more times than the behemoth.

Now, word of advice, none of your teammates are very intelligent so avoid getting to close to the Behemoth or the vehicle will explode or caught on fire and he/she will leave you inside before either the Behemoths get you or the vehicle kills you. Now, after the initial annoyance period, you will grow to even love and laugh at this part, which, may or may not be another tactical way to approach it and enjoy your session. The game is this versatile.

• toreadorvampire
    Original poster 56 posts

@fcac-no-moe Coincidentally, today I just fought my first behemoth drone. I actually solo'd it on my first attempt (I'm still playing Extreme with the tactical difficulty somewhere custom between Extreme and Advanced). It was the one that's at Howard Airfield spoiler. I cleared almost the whole base (anyone in earshot of the behemoth) well before I engaged it. I did the whole fight from the roof of the very large building where you later have to continue the mission. I figure that gave me a huge advantage because I could take a few shots and then reposition once it spotted me & dumped mortars/rockets at my previous position. Crikey, those things ARE bullet-spongy! My default loadout didn't help much either, I only had a G28 and a Honey Badger to shoot at it, so once my 7 rockets were gone (and I think one missed) I could really only peck at it. My operator is very much built for headshots vs human opponents: 1 hit 1 kill (2 hits for heavies), not massive damage to drones.

In fact, in hindsight I just realised I forgot to take the suppressor off of my G28, so I was actually crippling my own damage 🤣

spoiler I have to admit, the ending to that mission really didn't feel "Ghost Recon" to me, that felt more like a Far Cry bossfight to me. It also took somewhere between 5 and 10 attempts. I know the mission says "improve your skill & gear levels" but I have gear level switched off since I started the game. My actual operator is character level 28 now though.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1165 posts

There are some moments of enjoyment in the game but the whole core of it, the premise, the plot, the execution are very arcade and childish even at Extreme or hardcore level. Nothing about this game screams Ghost Recon but since the studio has market it as such since possibly after GRAW, where in PC they tried to go the ARMA mil-sim and it wasn't well received, GRAW II was slightly better but too linear and then the Studio decided to make Ghost Recon their test bed for all the assets of all the different Franchises and well, this one, 1000 people working at it, Bosses and Devs alike from all Genres and Aspects of games and the result shows it and it is this... a lazy effort, cramp all possible MTX, exploration galore, some decent shooting (at least less bullet drop than Wildland [go figure] but the Boss from God only know what Franchise sported a Chubby when he introduced the Grand Mythological creature (Behemoths), some other probably came up with the Raids but in the most glorious crappy way, and of course the Sith Lords (allegedly Tier One Operators wear masks and capes and called themselves wolves) because what Ghost Recon fan doesn't want to fight those guys that belong in a Sci-Fi game.

And because they have learn their lesson, they are coming out with a new Ghost Recon F2P game where Battle Royal is the main dish. According to those in the know, they are still working on their next AAA Ghost Recon game and most everyone expect it will be grounded and more mature, like OGR was... looking at this history +the new NFT insertion and the big wigs calling us stupid because we don't get it and dislike but they have said they will keep up with it until we like it, what do you think that game will turned out to be? 😆

Now, and again, some people hate the game today and love it tomorrow because they tossed a new something (even if they broke a whole bunch of other somethings), done as mediocre as the piece given before but at least is something new we can play for a few hours and then wait another 6 months for some more scraps. But hey!, at least they listen to the community and have our backs so... yeah, there's that!

Oh oh, wait there is more, at least they finally fix Steven's Belt issue so the part they listen to us is true and I stand corrected. Oh, wait, NO!, a modder did that. Oops

EDIT: Most people playing the main vanilla game with the gear score love the game so at least they did something right by them even though the Ghost Recon Genre has never had Gear Score... and people say that UBI doesn't Innovate anymore.

• toreadorvampire
    Original poster 56 posts

@fcac-no-moe well, for sure, although I'm only 36h into Breakpoint so far, I'm definitely enjoying it a little less than Wildlands. You're right, Breakpoint is just a little bit more arcade-y, wheras I thought the tone between arcade/realism in Wildlands was where I wanted it to be. I didn't quite want a sim (I still want to be playing a game) but I don't want to have to destroy the boss villain's horcruxes before I can defeat them either.

Still, I don't regret the purchase. I just need to be more careful when I look into future GR games, to see which direction Ubisoft took them in.

Back to my original point. I want the game to be difficult, but I want it to be difficult because the enemy spots you and sends a well-coordinated fireteam after you, and follows up accordingly if that fireteam is defeated. I don't want it to be difficult because of bullet-sponge enemies or enemies who have access to "magic".

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1165 posts
    @toreadorvampire
    Back to my original point. I want the game to be difficult, but I want it to be difficult because the enemy spots you and sends a well-coordinated fireteam after you, and follows up accordingly if that fireteam is defeated. I don't want it to be difficult because of bullet-sponge enemies or enemies who have access to "magic".

You and me both and well, a whole bunch of other people as well but UBI decided to cater to ALL humankind and I mean ALL, from 4 year olds to, well, ALL. All in the name of Mediocre effort for Most profit. Hell, I paid only 7.97 for the game and I still feel a bit Jipped LOL

But, we are still here, hoping that at some point they will get their heads out of the proverbial butt.

Suggested Topics