ubisoft discussions

quick-suggestions

• locked A good defense is the best offense

1 likes/16 replies/2916 views
    editorial
    Original poster ubisoft:x-posts, 1598

After you build up a strong military army you are most likely to either use them to defend your territory or conquer your enemies.

link-to-article
  • Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• OldTokken24
    ubisoft:x-posts, 84

@editorial As it was stated in other posts in the comment section: It feels like we are beeing mocked by Ubisoft with every new entry in the news about The Settlers. It feels like our feedback is ignored although at this point a look at social media or in the forum reveals what has to be done.

In regards to the game: Where are the walls? The fortresses? The towers connected to the wall? Garrisoned walls full with archers? Upgradable walls made out of wood or made out of stones? This all has been shown 3 years ago back in the alpha version of the game and it is now missing, why? When you want to have a AoE4 Clon why get rid of the walls?

It is astonishing what wrong decisions must have lead to this! I hope in the upcoming statement from Ubisoft it will be adressed that the current version will be brought closer to the version shown in 2019/2020 or even totally reverted to the former version in a Sandbox.

• rudyman85
    ubisoft:x-posts, 9

@editorial i miss boulding some walls. Only a tower is a strange combination of defending.

• Agromaniac
    ubisoft:x-posts, 16

@oldtokken24 Current version is the final version. They obviously want to create a competitor to AoE, with emphasis on base building instead of micro/army management. They dont care about the negative feedback from oldschool players, because those players are not their target audience anymore. The Settlers are different game for a different audience.

I do totally agree with most of the points oldschool players bring to the table, the game is dumbed down too much in order to allow for quick games, but they went too far and the balance they seeked to achieve is not there. My biggest worry is the replayability...3 maps and thats it? Minimal difference between nations wont help either. The campaign must be a masterpiece in order to justify the cost, because closed-beta content is definitely not worth the final cost.

• OldTokken24

@agromaniac Unfortunately. The current version is made without vision and you can feel it - it is empty! You could have fun for a few hours maybe but that is it. There is no long-term motivation, there is no depth... there is nothing driving the game forward. You cannot get creative! For a true competitive game it is to shallow and slow - there is no tactical depth, not enough units and basic military buildings are missing! For a city-builder it focuses to much on military and military alone - the economics part is to much dumbed down, not enough goods and just a few buildings!

Is there even a target audience anymore? Sure, Ubisoft tries to get the AoE players and similars but fails - Because who would want to stop playing AoE4 (a good game) to this (a terrible setters and bad RTS in general).

• Ubi-Barbalatu
    Community Developer ubisoft:x-posts, 226

Hi,

We will share more information about the feedback and changes to the game very soon. The various teams are currently working on it. Please hang in there.

Cheers,
    Ubi-Barbalatu

official-response
  • rudyman85

I miss building walls, the usefulness of food, horses and cannons. let the explorers discover, and engineers build buildings. I miss building an own church or castle. The engine looks nice. The game plays smoothly, but no settlers feeling (fan of the first hours). I hope there will be difference in the final.

• Agromaniac

@rudyman85 I have to disagree here with you, having only towers to rely on is interesting and more dynamic gameplay because it forces you to rely on your troops for the main power. That said i would love to be able to build HUGE fortress to fortify and defend crucial points on map. The scarecrows are wierd in my view, yet i like the effect of them. I think there is a way to combine those two into one and have supreme experience: Imagine building HUGE fort in the chokepoint, with supreme firepower and health (definitely seriously expensive to build) which would need to be destroyed in order for army to advance, IF you add the scarecrow affect (taunt) to the fortress itself, then you would have a HIGH impact building, which player needs to work towards to build, would be tought to destroy and would not pass armies throught because of the taunt mechanic. In the end you would have much better experience that way instead of building towers surounded with scarecrows.....

• Agromaniac

@agromaniac The thing i am trying to point out here is that i am missing a high impact, high importance rushed midgame/endgame building to work towards, which would have some importance in the second half of the game. Right now the towers are early/mid game structures which gets obliterated in 5sec during lategame, making them totally useless, there is some lategame building missing here, yet instead of adding some sort of fortress you add scarecrows to be spammed around towers in order to lengthen the inevitable break of the line resulting in wierd players experience. Afterall players play this game to build, so why not having lategame structures aswell?

• Agromaniac

@rudyman85 How can you say that you miss usefulness of food while the food is literary making all of your production buildings twice as efficient?

• m0hmmed

I like the direction of the game now
    the combination of ( The Settlers and AoE4 )
    the mixing of (production chain ,buldings,roads on The Settlers With Attacking ,Defending, Raiding on AoE4)
    is way to go

I know most settlers fan want remaster of Settlers 2 or 3
    But let's move on and open our minds for somethings new

I just watched all 2019 gameplays and trailers again,
    Here are some funny things:

1- In 2019, you could build outposts and set the expanding zone, pioneers then expand your land in the set zone. You could reinforce outposts with troops and build a strong defense line with walls, out of wood and stone.

2- In 2019, you've seen the resources without digging for them. Iron or coal were visible stone-like objects on the ground and looking pretty nice and copper mine building is beautiful .

3- In 2019, you could upgrade residences. So you had level 1, 2, 3 with unique designs, reinforcing your villager count and bringing more dynamic into your cities.

4- In 2019, there were like five different unit types, without the healers and siege.

5- In 2019, there were different building levels if you're upgrading your town hall like in AoE. With a new level, you can also build new buildings like in AoE.

6- In 2019, there were even garnisons and more different towers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    things need to change on the game:

1- Food is a (boost) is a good idea , but it should each type of foods give a (boost) for all buildings with out clicking boost bottom
    boost example : bread 20%,meat 15%,fish 15%,grips 10% total 60%
    if there is no food settlers work (20% slower ) and start asking for food

2-The big stock yard should named a tawn hall which should work as a stock yard and guild hall togather so we can create engineers (plus it's good idia to crate horse rider for exploration)
    remove guild hall for ever
    another point if can produce engneers with out tools , but they work 60% slowly with out tools on stock

3-Militery unit is poor and need a variety,balnce , there is no horses ,knights.
    Soldiers look like normal villagers
    You should focus on strategies movement ,attack and defend for the soldiers
    they move and attack randomly

4-Missing of Siege Artillerys (Catapults,Siege Tower,Siege Battering ram) and Naval Units all this are missing on the game

there is many many things I didn't mention
    like map desing and resorces mine , farm deisne which can not extend, some buldings take more space,disine of mines etc..

I wish they DELAY the game until Augest at lest !!
    so they can work on it and balnce the game

Many uncompleted games have been release this year and die in one month only
    the
    This is the year of abandoned games!!!

• OldTokken24

@m0hmmed When you want a game like AoE than play AoE and not force mechanics that are out of place in settlers in the settlers. Ubisoft should bring features back they cutted out of the game which have been in the game in 2019!

• Agromaniac

@oldtokken24 There is a lot of people who want to play a game similar to AoE but instead of focusing on units management and strategic choice connected to fighting, they would rather focus on the economy side of things which is hopelesly neglected in AoE. Winning in this scenario would be based on economic power and result in just pure numbers advantage when fighting. Better economy >more troops> win, as simple as that. I believe ubisoft is trying to target this audience and make competitor game to AoE with focus on economy, while neglecting the fighting aspect, compared to AoE which is focused on fighting and neglecting economy.

While this all sounds great in theory, in order to suceed in this approach ubisoft would need to have a suficient depth to the economy development and the depth is not there yet. They overshot a littlebit with the pruning of systems/chains based on closed beta. From what i have seen i believe that if there was roughly 30% of complexity added, compared to now, aswell as lategame structures to build (which would ideally add some strategic value aswell), I would probably call it a good game with the initial objective fulfilled.

Will that be a good game for old school players? No way, this game is developped in completely different direction than original series and i dont see a way they would change this new direction. Does ubisoft care? I dont think so, because if they suceed in making solid AoE competitor their target audience would be so much bigger than what old school players can offer.

• Phlegm_Master
    ubisoft:x-posts, 10

@agromaniac If you’ll allow me to be devil’s advocate for a moment - and I appreciate that you are explaining Ubisoft’s possible views rather than your own:

AoE4 may not be the best path for them in any event. If you look at current player reaction there is some concern at a heavy drop-off in players. Doing a less popular version of AoE4 isn’t much of a long term plan.

Large and sustained numbers often come from a dedicated player base who are supported. I know that others have pointed to the Anno model. You could also mention Paradox games where they can churn out DLC year after year (often poor quality) for games that feel niche and overly technical, but show continued monetisation even for superficial graphical enhancements.

• Agromaniac

@phlegm_master Definitely agree with you on the player base being very important, the problem here is that the oldschool settlers are radicly different compared to current beta build...these two versions simply cant be mixed together if you want to produce superior game, Ubiisoft has to choose one of those ways and sadly for oldtimers, they seem to push the AoE direction. It can be a final nail in the cofin for settlers series since they will loose the player base and will depend on creating a new one, which they wont do unless the game is superior atleast in some way....The sad truth here is, it is not superior in any way so far, nice graphics wont save it.

• shadowxavier
    ubisoft:x-posts, 8

@ubi-barbalatu Im sorry mate. But the overwhelming silence from you guys,the continued marketing of the game showing the same crap economic system you showed us in the beta, the fact that you used over a year degrading an exiting solution to the game after the last f** up you pulled from the market a few years ago. I mean.. all those years not displaying anything that resembles a proper settlers game, and you state the needed changes to make this happen will be delivered within months..?

Its not trustworthy anymore. Ubisoft.. aint trustworthy anymore.

Suggested Topics