ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• agostini01
    Original poster 6 posts

Since last update the game does not seem to prevent display sleep. Once the display goes to sleep, the game crashes.
    I am playing using Direct x12 on Windows 10 Pro.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asterix201252
    275 posts

@agostini01
    This is a problem, but it isn't new with GU13. I had a discussion with another player about this several months ago. At the time, I wasn't sure whether it was a time thing (crashes after xx minutes) or related to the screen saver kicking in. I think we concluded, like you, that it was most likely the screen saver kicking in.
    I have searched for the other thread but can't find it. It may well be that it's so long ago that it's on the old forum.
    Thanks for the bump though., because it looks like it hasn't been fixed.

• agostini01
    Original poster 6 posts

@asterix201252, Thank you for your comment, I am glad that I am not alone.

I dont have a screen saver screen, after 10min my monitors just go to standby and when I move the mouse I see the game crash warning.

I dont think I have this problem in Direct x11 mode.

• Asterix201252
    275 posts

@agostini01
    Sorry, I think my use of the term "screen-saver" isn't strictly accurate, and it is old terminology from Windows 7 (or earlier). I also don't have a specific screen-saver, my screen also just goes blank. I think that in Windows 10 it's what is called "Screen" in Settings>System>Power & Sleep.

However, I am still sure that we are talking about the same thing.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2885 posts

Hey there @agostini01 !

If you could please test and confirm if this also happens with Dx11 we'd appreciate it.

Additionally, if you enable a screensaver (so your PC displays that rather than going to sleep right away), does the game still crash?

May we also please know your PC specs (GPU, CPU, RAM, Laptop / Desktop)?

Thank you!

Official Response
  • AW7777777
    73 posts

Game works with DX12 if you run it "Windowed". Slight loss in framerate but I NEVER get the DX12 crash anymore. Been running like this for a month.
    Running windowed also helps with the "all UI's disappearing" and the game won't respond to any commands. Since windowed I can press the hotkey (ALT + RETURN) to go "fullscreen" and then back again to windowed and all UI's come back. This problem happens every few days.

Oh, and I can let my PC sit all day and monitors sleep and come back to game EVERY time. I frequently switch between game and other programs and sometimes minimize game and NEVER have issues with DX12. I know fullscreen is better but this at least works 100% of the time.

• agostini01
    Original poster 6 posts

@ubi-theberry ,

• DirectX12- Fullscreen - Turn off the display (1 minute):
      • After 1 minute display turns off, resulting in a crash to desktop (An unexpected DirectX error occurred)
    • DirectX12- Bordeless Window- Turn off the display (1 minute):
      • After 1 minute display turns off, no crash (as reported by @AW7777777 ), after monitors wake up, game continues to run
    • DirectX11- Fullscreen - Turn off the display (1 minute):
      • After 1 minute display turns off, no crash
    • DirectX12- Fullscreen - Turn off the display (2 minute), Screen server (bubbles - 1 minute):
      • After 1 minute bubbles kicks in, if I move the mouse I can resume the game without problems
      • After 2 minute display turns off, resulting in a crash to desktop (An unexpected DirectX error occurred)

Specs:

• windows 10 - pro
    • 32GB ram
    • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    • RTX 3080ti

This is still a problem after today's update 13.2

As pointed out by @AW7777777 , game does not crash if started in windowed mode. Thank you for the suggestion. I switched to this mode 🙂

• Ubi-Nacho
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1677 posts

@AW7777777 Thank you for posting here, and sharing some further information on a workaround that you've been using.

@agostini01 Thanks for confirming this workaround for us too. We appreciate you providing detailed information here on the results of testing both DirectX12 and DirectX11, as well as your system specs. Would you be able to let us know if you've found this to be the case after restarting a multiplayer game session? Or does this happen regardless of whether you're playing multiplayer or single player?

Official Response
  • MstrSnstr
    7 posts

@ubi-nacho I have the same experience. In DirectX12 when the screen shuts off it causes a crash to desktop. This is even true when it is on the game menu, before even loading or starting a game. Game asks to send a crash report, so I assume you guys are getting these.

• agostini01
    Original poster 6 posts

@ubi-nacho, it is not related to multiplayer. I was playing on single player sessions.

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2605 posts

Hello everyone thanks for getting in touch with us about these crashing issues when using DirectX12.

We understand that some of you expereince this when the game is been idle for some time. would you please specify exactly how long the game is idle for when the game crashes, so we may document this, as we had a previous report into this a while ago?

This guide contains the most common fixes for issues caused by Windows permissions, hardware, software, corrupted files and out of date drivers. If you haven't already done so, please follow each and every step in the guide to see if this can relieve some of the idle crashes on your system >
    https://www.ubisoft.com/help?article=000061047

As issue was previously under investigation by the team some time ago, but we were not able to reproduce it on our systems, if you have tried the troubleshooting to no avail, we will need your dxdiag, msinfo and crash logs to reopen this investigation.

Please let us know if this still affects you after troubleshooting so we may open a private support case for you, to acquire these files, thank you.

Official Response
  • Bloodlex2
    26 posts

@ubi-milky Hey, thanks for an update on this one. I also experience this problem with DirectX 12 and Fullscreen mode. If I set display sleep after for instance 15 minutes and I go somewhere, when I return I get this crash. I can send you those files you mention, so you can open a private support case for that or I can do it myself if you would like me to 😃 . Thanks for your help!

• AW7777777
    73 posts

TO ALL:

Until they fix this issue (which may never happen) just press ALT+ENTER to change to "window" mode and press ALT+ENTER again when you return to your game. If the game is "windowed" you can let it sit all day AND let your screensaver or display sleep mode kick in and it shouldn't crash the game.

I've been using this method for about a year now with no problems running DX12. I've left my game paused and left my PC for an indefinite amount of time (over 8 hours) with no problems on return and unpausing the game. I have 3 screens and they all "sleep" after 15 minutes.

Hope this helps ...

• MrLegacy.Norths
    1 posts

The game keep crashing 24/7 - unexpected direct x12 error.. I got a new 3000 euro rig/pc..
    12th Gen Intelr core i7-12700KF 20 CPUS, 3.6GHz.
    DirectX 12 - NICDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti..

I did reinstall the game, I did change directx 11 & 12 ingame.. , I did updating my graphic card + system .. ,
    I did verify game files.., I did try windows mode / fullscreen etc.., I did change game graphic settings, V-sync on and off..

Still the game crashes after ... 5 - 30 min ish...
    No fix out there ?? 😮

• Ubi-Milky

Hello @Bloodlex2 and @MrLegacy-Norths

Thank you for letting us know what troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to help prevent this issue, I am sorry to hear that they did not work for you.

We have had a few investigations open previously about different DirectX issues, error messages, and when they occur in-game, but we are still investigating this issue when the game is idle or paused, and a DirectX crash occurs.

I have gone ahead and created a support case for both of you and you should receive an email from us shortly. 

Please could you add some system files to your case, so we can pass them onto our Anno team to look into? You can access your open cases here anytime > https://www.ubisoft.com/help/cases

Thank you for your help!

Official Response
  • Ubi-Milky

Hello everyone, just a quick update from our QA team.

As a workaround for this issue whilst a more permanent fix is to be found, can you please try switching to DX11 in the in-game settings, and use a display mode of Windowed Borderless or Windowed, instead of full screen.

Please let us know if this workaround works for you also.

Official Response

Suggested Topics