ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Finalflash07
    Original poster 22 posts

Can you please create other challenges than 'winning a dice game' ?
    This is a game based on luck. About to throw my desktop out of the window after losing 5 consecutive times...

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• AnimusLover
    281 posts

@finalflash07 It's not luck. Different opponents require different strategies. For the tougher ones try to play more defensively in order to make it a pain for them rather than spamming axes and arrows. Try to use the hand dice to get as much of the God Favours as possible and try to use God Favours at the right moment. Some God Favours are better suited for some opponents than others so make sure you win them off the easier opponents first.

• TheNorfolkian
    1291 posts

@finalflash07 I agree with @AnimusLover here. I remember when starting out in Valhalla, some Orlog players were literally impossible to defeat because they had absurdly powerful God Favors, but if you start out with the weaker players and work your way up to acquire all of the God Favors and be able to craft a strategy that fits your play style. That said, there is still an element of luck in getting the right dice within the first couple rounds to acquire enough God Tokens.

For my play style, I need to get 10 God Tokens by the second round to use Odin’s Sacrifice, because I can reasonably sacrifice five or six Health Tokens to acquire enough God Tokens to use Thor’s Strike and Loki’s Trick repeatedly in the following turns to destroy the opponent. Now, if the game cheats me out of that opportunity to get enough God Tokens by the second round, I literally exit out of the game, quit, and reload a fresh save from just prior to playing Orlog with an opponent. That way, losses are never logged because the game was never finished and I didn’t forfeit.

• azullFR
    2259 posts

I understand all arguments I see here 👍 ,
    meanwhile as @TheNorfolkian says

Now, if the game cheats me out of that opportunity to get enough God Tokens by the second round, I literally exit out of the game, quit, and reload a fresh save from just prior to playing Orlog with an opponent

add to this that :
    I've noticed the game "cheated me out" several times in a row during the past 2 months ( I have always been playing orlog with the same Ravensthorpe guy since one year... so I think I know it's behaviour) it was easier to win months ago...

all of this are the reason why I nearly stopped doing them :

1. on a PS4 pro (even with an internal SSD) it's too time consuming to do this (quitting and reloading saves)
    2. more than a year that I play orlog several times every 2 weeks minimum and this on 2 accounts ... so, as @Finalflash07, I'm a little bored with them as a victory is mandatory (I'm still keeping the highest level ones for later, for my own fun, when I will have more time to fully enjoy the game)

Resume :

1. I like orlog
    2. I don't like it as mandatory as often as it is

Suggestion :
    @Ubi-anyone = change the requirement from "win" to "play"
    note that this won't hurt players' winning thirst, maybe Kassandra would say :"the important thing is to participate" 😉

• TheNorfolkian
    1291 posts

@azullfr I know exactly what you mean. I too would play the Ravensthorpe player out of convenience and was able to consistently beat it, but lately it seems to be cheating more than usual. I have since been going around to other ‘easier’ players and found that they are not as easy as they used to be either.

• azullFR
    2259 posts

@thenorfolkian
    Many thanks to you for confirming this 👍

• pesto.
    290 posts

The game is a little too chance based to have the sticking power of Gwent for me.

What I mainly dislike is that you can’t forfeit a game early and it can really drag on forever. That was especially egregious in the tutorial, where all I wanted to do was get on with doing anything other than playing an interminable dice game; which I might have come back to at a later point when I felt more like I wanted a change of pace rather than having said change of pace thrust upon me.

There’s always a strategy to win regardless of your opponent and it’s not always about god favors. But the trouble is you might not figure it out before it’s too late yet because of the pacing of the game that might still mean you have quite a few minutes of play left to slowly watch and wait while there’s nothing you can do to stop the inevitable nor speed it up. That alone makes it a super frustrating experience.

• TheNorfolkian
    1291 posts

@pesto Gwent is a lot of fun. The only other mini-game I recall spending similarly long hours playing was Tetra Master in FFIX.

I think part of the problem with Orlog is that the collectability of the God Favors was not very rewarding in the first place. The usefulness of the God Favors themselves are severely limited as the game AI will deliberately use certain favors that help them in critical moments to screw you over, but if you were to play a game with them, you’d never get the opportunity to effectively utilize them for an advantage. There are only so many God Favors to collect, and of those, only a handful that prove genuinely useful against the AI. The activity of collecting is just as engaging for Gwent, Tetra Master, and CCGs in general, as the games themselves. That is not the case for Orlog... God Favors were not found in secretly hidden chests, acquired off of the corpse of a boss enemy, bought in shops, or won in contests other than playing the game itself. In Valhalla, Eivor starts out with Thor’s Strike, and it’s literally one of the most powerful God Favors to have in the game. I still use it, as I’m sure you probably do. And yet, Eivor isn’t given a set of three God Favors to start out, or for that matter, a choice of which favors to use.

As a mini-game in a main game, Orlog doesn’t really justify itself for replayability. You can’t bet and win coin like you can with the drinking games, and being pushed into playing it for Opal or a community challenge reward is the game’s only saving grace.

• Wascaliwabbit
    46 posts

@thenorfolkian disagree. i think orlog is kinda fun to play even with no incentive. i can win about 80% of the time just using 'Thor's Strike', because the AI is usually too conservative

• TheNorfolkian
    1291 posts

@wascaliwabbit In that case, have you already purchased the real table-top game?

Suggested Topics