ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Kennyannydenny
    Original poster 172 posts

Spoilers ahead!

So, I was hoping I could get some confirmation by the devs actually on the story, but that might be wishful thinking.

I just played through the storyline of Discovery Mode: Viking Age the last two days, and have a huge question about Thorsteinn's and Gunnhilda's fate.

Since the very start Bjorn has been a thorn in the side of Thorsteinn. His false accusations, the attitude on him. Getting in debt, constantly asking Thorsteinn for help. Near the end Thorsteinn talks about his debts and that he owes money to some shady people. After the wedding in Yorvik he once again asks for help, but this turns out to be false, as Mimir confirms he was betrayed by Bjorn. And that Thorsteinn is dead.

I have two questions related to that:
    1) Did Bjorn kill Thorsteinn? Or was it the people he owned money to that killed both of them? We don't even know if Bjorn is alive, just that Thorsteinn and Gunnhilda are dead. That leads me to the second question.
    2) Was Gunnhilda also murdered? When Thorsteinn leaves with Bjorn and sends Gunnhilda home, we get a dream-like cutscene were Gunnhilda is searching for Bjorn, but is never within her grasp. Then Bjorn is in Jotunheimr and thus dead. But when he ends up in Fokvangr, Gunnhilda is also dead. So either Gunnhilda died not long after Thorsteinn or years and years have passed in Midgard during the "Where Fates Align" memory until she died of old age. I personally feel like it was the first, possibly murdered by Bjorn too, maybe that dream-like sequence was actually her being poisoned by Bjorn.

I can only speculate and there aren't even many sources ingame that explain the ending, just a few hints. It left me with so many questions, I was really hoping someone at Ubisoft could explain this to me, if they are allowed to do so/want to of course.

Somehow I had grown close to Thorsteinn and Gunnhilda over the last two days, even though it's a not so real long story. The ending is unexpected and kinda sad. They were together in the end, but who knows what happily live they could have lived without Bjorn. Meeting Trygg's and Eadith's children in the future etc. Maybe it's just me though.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• OrcBeard92
    180 posts

@kennyannydenny It's heavily implied that Bjorn was the man who did it. I believe in the monk's quests you can even find a letter Bjorn has left in the village from where you steal the relic back, where he is swearing some kind of revenge on Thorstein for getting him exiled those years before. Bjorn was working with the thugs even then.

As for Gunnhilda, I believe it says Thorstein never came home, and then she ended up waiting years. So, the interim period of him being in the afterlife, the passage of time is skewed. Thorstein believes he has only recently died, but untold years have passed. But, at least Hilda was waiting for him.

I really liked that this discovery tour had a nice little story though. Hoping they can add more to it some day, but it's doubtful.

• Kennyannydenny
    Original poster 172 posts

@orcbeard92 Oh I must have missed that note, I did look around everywhere for notes etc, that does explain things a bit more.

I also missed the fact that it said she waited years. Seems a lot more years passed during that Jotunheimr sequence than Thorsteinn experiences.

Thanks for the answer! and yeah I agree, it was nice to see a small storyline added to this, more fun this way than the simple walk from station to station in the Origins Discovery Tour.

Suggested Topics