ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sock_Monkey
    Original poster 535 posts

I only ask because I am trying to gauge the effectiveness of Perfect Clutch, but nothing seems to happen when shooting over targets.

Either PC is broken, or the targets don't count.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• V4MPiR1
    250 posts

@sock_monkey Yes. That change was made and is indicated by the 'in combat' status.

You'll need to press and hold the 'Damage Self' button (South wall, left of 'Skill Haste Enabled') until your armor registers below the 20% mark, while wearing the 'Devil's Due':

Perfect Clutch -- If you are below 20% armor, critical hits repair 2.5% missing armor. Kills allow you to repair up to 100% armor for 4-10s, based on your number of RED core attributes.

I just verified it's functioning correctly on my account.

• Sock_Monkey

@v4mpir1 Thanks.

So try this: use the "damage self" button and take your armor down to near-zero, then go over and "kill" some targets.

I see my armor climb up to 20% from critical hits, as the PC description indicates, but after that it stops.

Doesn't the description also say "Kills allow you to repair up to 100% armor for 4-10 seconds, based on your number of [red] core attributes"?

Am I misreading that second half, because I never see armor repair from a kill - only the 2.5% from critical hits?

• V4MPiR1
    250 posts

@sock_monkey Hmmm... interesting. Just retried it per your suggestion, and it still worked for me... armor went back up to 100% in 2-3 kills. I also tried it with and without the 'No Regen' world directive activated, in case it was bugged, and it worked in both cases. 🤔

• V4MPiR1
    250 posts

@sock_monkey Screencaps... disregard TTK... was stopping to take Kodaks... 😁

• TxDieselKid
    329 posts

Some "on kill" things will proc, but not all. For instance, you no longer can build Memento stacks off of them.

• Sock_Monkey

@v4mpir1 OK, I tried a different day and noticed that I do get some additional armor above 20%, but small increments per kill. I'd guess it's probably less than 10%.

This is weird because this build is almost all red (screenshot below). If this much procs less than 10% armor per kill, what is necessary for 100% armor?

Or (again) maybe the Perfect Clutch description just sucks and I am misinterpreting it. This text: [Kills allow you to repair up to 100% armor...] sure sounds to me like I should get more (armor) per kill.

• V4MPiR1
    250 posts

@sock_monkey Thanks for the screenshot. Found your 'problem'. You have three red cores and three blue ones. That translates to clutch functioning at 50%. If, for example, you had six red cores, and your non-reds as [secondary] attributes, you wouldn't have noticed any drain on clutch, unless of course, said non-reds adversely affected your maximal CHC (60%).

Try swapping out your blue cores for any red ones in your backpack/stash... disregarding build coherence... ensure you have max or near-max CHC... and repeat the test. You should notice significant armor upticks on hits and kills.

• the_Kettle
    268 posts

@sock_monkey The talent wording is confusing, but I understand it like this:

Without the kill buff, every critical hit you land will repair your armor by 2.5% but only as long as you're below 20% total armor.

With the kill buff (the duration of which is dependent on your number of red cores), every critical hit you land will still only repair your armor by 2.5% but this time, all the way up to 100% armor.

• Sock_Monkey

@v4mpir1 Thanks for the clarification. If that is indeed the issue, I may have to live with it. This is my DZ build, and the 3 blue cores give me about the minimum amount of armor (1.3M + Unbreakable) I am comfortable going into the DZ with. If I went more red I'd spit fire but rogues could probably gun me down with a pistol.

I hope your description is correct, because that makes sense and is worth keeping in mind for my next iteration.

• TxDieselKid
    329 posts

@sock_monkey Yeah, he's right. That's why you don't see it used for what you're trying to use it for. It would be SUCH a great talent if that stipulation wasn't attached.

• Sock_Monkey

@txdieselkid I guess nerfing is what Ubi does best.

• Noxious81
    1023 posts
    (...) I guess nerfing is what Ubi does best.

Why are we talking about nerfs now? This talent has been like this ever it got moved to backpacks, hasn't it? And back in pre-Gear2.0-times there were other restrictions – like having to have 4 blue core attributes to even activate the talent. So I personally I think that it now much better fits the idea of offering some self preservation for high-crit builds.

It can be either an addition to or a replacement for Armor on Kill. But while Armor on Kill is specifically interesting for builds that constantly get consecutive kills fast, (Perfect) Clutch is also interesting for builds that do not kill that often but do have a high CHC and Rate of Fire.

This in some cases can even make this talent superior to Armor on Kill – think about having to deal with a red BT rusher and an elite BT chungus. With Armor on Kill you will only be able to benefit from armor regeneration on killing the red bar, but you will constantly see your armor going down when the chungus will continue shooting you. Leaving you incapable to counter this decrease of your armor. But Clutch will activate the kill buff on killing the red bar, allowing you to regenerate your armor up to 100% for the following 4 to 10 seconds only by landing critical hits. (For example, with 60% CHC using an MPX we are talking about 85 x 2.5% in 10 seconds on a full red build, equalling roughly 1,500,000 armor regenerated.)

• Sock_Monkey

@noxious81 No one is talking about them - except you. I only mentioned that the talent has been nerfed, which is a fact.

Clutch (pre-Gear 2.0) used to be that critical hits restored 15% health and repaired 2% armor. The requirement was that an AR, SMG, or LMG (low-crit weapons) had to be equipped.

This was considered way too powerful, which is how we got the Clutch variant we have now (post-Gear 2.0).

• Noxious81
    1023 posts
    (...) No one is talking about (nerfs) - except you. (...)

On my screen it still looks like you were the one who originally mentioned nerfing...

(...) I only mentioned that the talent has been nerfed, which is a fact.

Clutch (pre-Gear 2.0) used to be that critical hits restored 15% health and repaired 2% armor. The requirement was that an AR, SMG, or LMG (low-crit weapons) had to be equipped.

Nope, that's not a fact – that's your (legitimate) perception because the talent was changed. But this was not a nerf that can be clearly proven by numbers (like lowering the DtA of the Contractor's Glove). And this change for example on the one hand includes that you now need a kill to trigger the ability to fully repair your armor and this will only be able for 4 to 10 seconds after the kill. But on the other hand it now repairs 2.5% armor instead of only 2% armor, you are no longer limited to only three types of weapons, and you no longer need to have four blue core attributes to be able to use this talent at all.

• Sock_Monkey

@noxious81

On my screen it still looks like you were the one who originally mentioned nerfing...

Not very clever that you truncated the rest of my sentence, which clearly says that "I only mentioned that it was nerfed." You do realize the original is right above, don't you? This is not "talking about it" by anyone's definition, unless you can point out a conversation about nerfs.

Oh wait, now there's one - and you created it! I guess I stand corrected.

Nope, that's not a fact – that's your (legitimate) perception

OK. Tomato. Tomahto. We can play that game all day, but everyone that used it before and after called it a nerf. Everyone mentioned the talent was significantly less powerful. In the Gear 2.0 description Ubi noted it was adjusted downward, but of course in commercial speak that tries to make it sound better.

Don't believe me? Then I would challenge you to go to the archived forums and find a thread or comment that says "Whoa, Clutch is much better post-TU8!" or similar. You will find a lot of "Clutch sucks now" or "Clutch used to be one of the best talents in the game until Ubi nerfed it," or "Is Clutch even a thing anymore?" (None of which I wrote, BTW.) 🙂

Is a nerf a "change"? Of course, but it's not a change for the better. Even you cannot make that claim (and clearly avoided doing so).

And let's be blunt: no one makes a game "change" that is lateral, unless it's a fix to an anomaly. Any other change is either to strengthen or weaken a piece/talent/spec. There is no other reason. Clutch wasn't broken, so do you think it's stronger than before? Yes or no...

• Imagine_Brata
    623 posts
    The requirement was that an AR, SMG, or LMG (low-crit weapons) had to be equipped.

and 4 or less blue

• Sock_Monkey

@imagine_brata Right, forgot about that part.

Suggested Topics