ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• archsh3riff
    Original poster 157 posts

just learned a weird fact that kinda bothers me and its not logical ..

when basim gets hands on the staff, he is rejuvenated, made younger .. why?
    as far as i understand, it only heals and stops aging, but doesnt provide de-aging.
    If it would, why Pythagoras was old?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SpirantCrayon22
    2520 posts

@archsh3riff

I am not that familiar with lore. He's more Isu than most, though, so maybe it works better on him than more human people?

• TheNorfolkian
    2064 posts

@archsh3riff Actually, Basim/Loki did not age... his body died from dehydration after being plugged into Yggdrasil. I don’t expect Ubisoft to explain why the body didn’t completely decompose, since air and moisture conditions in the cave would have certainly done that over the course of 1,143 years before Layla came along. Also, when Layla went down there, she had the staff to protect her from the radiation, which most certainly would have caused further degradation to Basim’s body. So, we have to at least assume that Yggdrasil provides some level of preservation, which doesn’t make sense as it does not provide life support while the mind is inside the system.

So, what we see in the ending scene where Basim/Loki is rejuvenated by the staff, we see lots of dead skin break away, which was also damaged by radiation. The staff returned his body to full health and cured it of all ailments.

As for the question of Pythagoras... the most likely explanation is that he acquired the staff when he was around 75 years old in 495 BCE (when the real Pythagoras died) as it would make sense to ‘fake’ one’s death after becoming an immortal. This would mean he fathered Kassandra/Alexios in the following years, locked in at that age.

If you don’t know about how weird the real Pythagoras was, Wikipedia offers a glimpse. The developers obviously chose Pythagoras because he was basically the first person to attempt to understand reality in terms of numbers, which was a huge cognitive leap for humanity given the metaphysical theories of most early Greek philosophers. The Pythagorean beliefs in numerology and divination adds to the lore of Assassin’s Creed as we have seen several examples of Isu figures running predictive calculations to find optimal outcomes for the future. Even though there’s no real explanation as to how and why Hermes meets and chooses to give the staff to Pythagoras, we have to assume some old man did not go through all of the crazy stuff that Kassandra/Alexios went through to ‘earn it’.

• archsh3riff
    Original poster 157 posts

@thenorfolkian
    basim was maybe irradiated .. but that body was 1200 years old .. he wasnt immortal or anything, so the body degraded and died in the end .. when his dead body touched it, it maybe cured the illnesses, but he was still old so .. de-aging doesnt make sense at all .. i super hate basim because he is insanely stupid and very easy to read and i hate people like that .. and with this, making him immortal .. without any kind of reasonable explanation .. makes me mad

• TheNorfolkian
    2064 posts

@archsh3riff I sympathize with your anger. Ubisoft really threw us players a strange curveball by making Basim/Loki the ‘new’ protagonist of the AC games moving forward. What happened with Layla is also pretty freaking dumb because it makes Kassandra/Alexios a really terrible judge of character to hand over the staff to someone who loses it in a matter of weeks.

On top of this, as I previously noted in a past review, the fact that no new modern-day story was added to either the Ireland or France expansions really makes them feel out of place with the main game. What is the point of diving this far into Eivor’s memories if there was nothing for Basim/Loki to gain? If Ragnarök also fails to provide any modern-day updates, it will further prove that Ubisoft really has no idea where they want the story of this franchise to go.

• SpirantCrayon22
    2520 posts

@thenorfolkian

Well, not sure I agree there. DLC with stuff to do for Eivor is just DLC. It made little sense in Ireland or France (if you ask me) to add something present-day as not a lot happened of that much relevance to the modern-day story (I could be wrong or could have missed it). Skye was different, though in a sense the bit with Kassandra was part of the modern-day story insofar as that's where the staff pops up in ACV. There were tweaks to the modern-day setting, I did note some things were updated although not a lot. It was good to see, though, I posted here about it. The big DLC would also make sense to include modern-day updates but I think it's not exactly ACV, it's more Norse myth but could go either way as it's Odin and Loki so could be something to do with the Isu guys.

• TheNorfolkian
    2064 posts

@spirantcrayon22 If you go play one of the Animus Anomalies with Basim/Loki being Eivor instead of Layla, you’ll hear him make some super-brief off-hand comment about them. I somewhat expected him to make comments about perceived Isu tech elsewhere in the world, including in Ireland and France. With that in mind, they could have added a cutscene after completing the WotD expansion story with Basim/Loki meeting with William Miles and telling him about what that Lia Fáil device actually was for the Isu as opposed to what the Druids did with it. And after the SoP storyline concluded, another cutscene could have had him talking to Miles again... or Shaun even... about the perceived satanic stuff in France. I mean, it wouldn’t have been big plot-twist stuff... just reminders that Basim/Loki is playing as Eivor.

Now... the fact that there was NOTHING in the Isle of Skye DLC is a big whoopsie. Basim/Loki should have definitely commented on the staff... or even have a post-storyline conversation with Aletheia.

• lemmie88
    309 posts

@archsh3riff

I'm no expert and don't know much ac lore. But as I understood it, it wasn't the Staff that de-aged Basim. It was Yggdrasil that kept his body in some sort of suspended animation from when he plugged in. Of course, it couldn't keep his body from irradiation and decay for 1000+ yrs. So while his body didn't age biologically, it did decay and the staff healed the decomposition? I'm not sure. Its hard to care too much when its obvious that Ubisoft doesn't. If its any consolation, I don't think he's immortal and hopefully he gets it worse than Layla and Desmond in the next game.

Suggested Topics