ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Ubi-MrDrPink
    Original poster 103 posts

HANDLING IMPROVEMENTS

Context

In March 2020, and with the Inner Drive update, the overall handling of some vehicles was revamped. The goal was to offer extra grip and competitiveness.

Some Vehicle categories were entirely rebalanced: Street Race and Hypercar.

Following this update a new approach to grip and handling was adopted for all future vehicles. At the same time, new Special Editions of previously released vehicles continued to feature the pre-Inner Drive handling model. (With the exception of Street Race and Hypercar categories).

Gameplay Impact

In terms of gameplay and car performance, and according to both our internal data, and player feedback, we have noticed a clear difference between pre and post Inner Drive cars.

This handling discrepancy leads to splitting our car line-up in two different driving styles and feeling, thus making some of them less attractive due to a lower performance.

First Steps

With the release of American Legends Episode 1, we plan on starting to look into one of the affected vehicle category: RallyCross (RX). With the release of Season 5: American Legends, we are going to update the handling of three cars:

• Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R34)
    • Chevrolet CAMARO SS
    • Ford FOCUS RS

Keep in mind that these changes are not definitive and can be reversed or tweaked based on your feedback. This is an iterative process, and we would like everyone to share their impression and wishes around the topic. Please leave any dedicate feedback on this forum thread.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SZRT_CIC_Ice
    2 posts

@ubi-mrdrpink

No comments = no complaints.

I'm testing the vehicles with friends right now, and they feel great. Maybe a slight power boost would be welcomed, to make older vehicles competitive with newer ones. But otherwise, great adjustments, and more would be welcomed.

P.S. The 'FORD RS RX Glow Motorsport Ed.' is a time attack vehicle. It should be on par with (if not better than) the Escalade & LANCER WRC05. Please buff it! 🙏🏿 Thanks!

• OBu42
    254 posts

@szrt_cic_ice

I'm not sure if we are playing the same game... I just drove all three cars, all are among the worst in class... None is competitive compared to the other cars having the new handling. Even several cars with the old handling are faster...

• SZRT_CIC_Ice
    2 posts

@obu42

'Handling Model Update' does not mean 'Performance Boost Update'. I said in my initial statement the the older vehicles require a performance boost. But handling-wise, they feel smooth, and fine to me at least. The Focus RS has a bit of a tendency to oversteer, but not terrible for that vehicle. I'd expect the RS RX, and Fiesta to have better downforce and power, and to perform much better. The Camaro SS was as expected. But the Skyline was underpowered based on it's reputation. It should be much better torque-wise, and able to hit higher top speeds.

On a side note, the Porsche should feel like a track car on dirt. It's far too unstable and floaty. Throttle should cause a natural tendency to oversteer, and countersteering should have a buffer,/grade, gradually taking a vehicle out of a drift, instead of snapping it in the other direction.

Lastly, the cockpits of the game are highly detailed/top notch quality. But the steering animations are terrible, and do not match the steering angle/inputs. Please look at games like DriveClub, Grid Legends, Dirt 5, GT7, or Project CARS 3 for reference to compare steering animations to TC2. Your cockpit views are going to waste because of poor and distracting steering animations that don't properly convey steering imputs in contrast to vehicle behavior.

• C0BR4G4M3R
    3 posts

Nobody is expecting The Crew 2 to be a simulator, but what's wrong about having just a touch of realism in there when it comes to handling? All this business with "steering envelopes" for different speed ranges and all these different helpers only make the cars feel artificial.

Too much control is taken away from the player by artificially limiting the steering input based on certain parameters in certain situations. Most noticeable while oversteering, where any countersteer input immediately results in an overcorrection, making the car pendulum into the opposite direction.

What is so difficult about allowing, or even encouraging, precise steering inputs and letting players deal with grip loss in a natural way?

I understand it may be too late for The Crew 2 at this point, but I do hope this is taken into consideration for upcoming titles.

P.S. Should IVT be in need of a handling designer, I'm not going anywhere 🙂

• mad_jeff
    2 posts

I totally hate the new handling, the RS and the Camaro are undrivable. I try some setting but nothing to do. We drive on dirt but we have more traction that normal car on road.

I really miss the original handling. I bit drifty but drivable and fun.

• Anykeyer
    209 posts

Some Vehicle categories were entirely rebalanced: Street Race and Hypercar.

No.
    Half of the bikes in Street Racing still use old handling model.

Keep in mind that these changes are not definitive and can be reversed or tweaked based on your feedback. This is an iterative process, and we would like everyone to share their impression and wishes around the topic. Please leave any dedicate feedback on this forum thread.

I think you're wasting time here. Just give all old RX, TC and AGP cars the same handling newer cars from the same discipline have.

• V6CamrySE
    1 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • JTWhitworth
    6 posts

@ubi-mrdrpink Is this a joke? It's been a playerbase complaint since the new handling model was partially implemented, and only now is it getting looked into? Not only that, but rather than implement the obvious solution of applying the newest handling to everything in the affected disciplines, you are going to do a few at a time and wait for feedback?

I don't think there are words to express how infuriating a solution that is to a problem that should never have existed, and yet it is worded in a way that makes it look like we are being done a favour, that we have been listened to, and are being included in the solution.

As someone who has played since the beta, I can't express how disappointing this whole thing is. That it was ignored for two years and now you're trying to make it look like you give a [censored]. There's no need for feedback, there's no need to include us. Do the thing that should have been done two years ago and apply the same handling model to all vehicles across a discipline. That's it. That's all that needs doing.

• crackstreamtv4
    23 posts
    Banned
    This post is deleted!
  • gameonline45
    10 posts
    Banned
    This post is deleted!
  • superjv2022
    1 posts

@crackstreamtv4  I'm not sure if we are playing the same game... I just drove all three cars, all are among the worst in class... None is competitive compared to the other cars having the new handling. Even several cars with the old handling are faster...

• gametvonline2
    18 posts
    Banned
    This post is deleted!
  • gameonline45
    10 posts
    Banned
    This post is deleted!
  • Maconald
    4 posts
    Banned
    This post is deleted!