ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Asterix201252
    Original poster 383 posts

I have a preferred map seed that I have been using for a long time. I keep the original Autosave0 file from when it started back in February last year (2021), so just over a year ago. I have used it for three or four run throughs, typically starting soon after the release of each DLC. The last time was a game that I completed in December 2021 (I've been taking a bit of a rest from the game), which I probably started around September last year. One of the reasons that I use this seed is that I know the worlds well, and can concentrate on trying to see how the new DLCs impact the game.
    Up until now, each time that I have started from that Autosave, I have got exactly the same islands with exactly the same recourses. However, this time it's different. The Old World is the same; same islands with the same resources. However, the New World is different. The islands appear to have the same outlines and the same rivers. However, the resources are different. This applies to the farming resources and also to Oil. Some islands that had oil now don't' and vice-versa.
    Now, I accept that I now have a new challenge in that I get different farm resources from different places to bring to my production islands.

But, I always thought that starting from the same Autosave0 would give you exactly the same worlds. Indeed, I also though that using the same seed with the same NPCs would also give you the exact same worlds. Up till now this has always been true.
    Has something happened, probably at GU13, 13.1, or 13.2, that deliberately changed the worlds, or is this a new bug that been introduced at GU13?

See examples:

Game from before GU13:

Game started 09 Mar 2022

As you can see, several farming resources have changed. Also, I have four extra Clay pits and 18 Oil Springs, which significantly affect the building space available (though saves me bringing oil to this island).

EDIT: Game files have been verified

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts
    Best Answer

Hey @Asterix201252, thanks for your detailed response!

I do understand where you're coming from, however it would be a little tricky to go into detail about this by outlining the reasons behind certain decisions or establish a little more direct way of communication, however to try and answer what you've asked, each time a new fertility set is added/removed, the random shuffling will change by design and is something that will occur when entering the new session for the first time, however if that happens after a GU changes the data, new things will be chosen.

I do hope you will find this useful and if there's any particular feedback or suggestions you'd like to share about this, or if you have any further queries, let us know and we will take it from there!

Official Response
  • Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3961 posts

Hey there @asterix201252 ,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this!

Would it be possible to please upload the affected save file to a hosting site (such as Cloud Storage) and share it here so we can pass this all onto the team who may be able to shed more light on these changes?

And may we please know the approximate date you launched the save and realised these differences?

Thank you!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-theberry

Hi. I have added three zipped save files to ticket number 16218868 for you.

Autosave0 is the "seed" file which is the start point for several runs at the game, including the two other files attached. This is dated 24 FEB 2021.
    HighLife04 is the save for the game that I finished in December. This is dated 08 DEC 2021.
    Autosave145 is the latest save on my current game. It is dated today (11 MAR 2022).

If you want other files, I also have one from a playthrough in May 2021, which shows the same resources as HighLife04.I can add this to the ticket if you want it.

The New World resources in HighLife04 are the same as they have been on several previous games derived from this Autosave0. The upper screenshot came from this save.
    The resources from Autosave145 are different, upper screenshot.

The new game, from which Autosave145 comes, was started yesterday. I realised the differences just before my original post (yesterday).

• Ubi-Mercury
    619 posts

Thanks for providing these files as well as the details regarding them @asterix201252! If you could you please also provide your save file from May, that would definitely help.

• Asterix201252

@ubi-mercury

File TouristSeason (25 May 2021) added to ticket. This shows the same resources as HighLife04

• SirHarryPierce
    213 posts

@asterix201252 do files that are Autosave0 not fit in the bug reporter? I would think so.

• Asterix201252

@sirharrypierce
    I'm not sure what you mean here by the bug reporter? They all fit fine on the ticket. However, as with previous threads I have to zip them to add them to a ticket, because the ticket system doesn't allow you to upload files with a .a7s file type. Yes the Autosave0 is relatively small, but the others is are quite big.

• Asterix201252

@ubi-mercury

I just realise that the island names in TouristSeason are different to those in the other files. I thought I started this game from Autosave0, but maybe I just started a new game with the same map seed. Nevertheless, the islands and there resources are all the same in TouristSeason and HighLife04

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3613 posts

Thanks for the follow-up Asterix201252, I have acquired your save files and images and created a new case for our Anno team to look into, to see if it is intended that after an update or DLC launch, resources, and their locations on the islands can change, even if playing on the same world seed.

We will do our best to update you when we have more information, or our QA team may need to ask you some more questions.

Thanks for the bug report!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-milky
    Quick update for you, having progressed the game. I am 95% sure that this happens only in the New World. It does not happen in Old World, Cape Trelawney, Enbesa or Arctic as far as I can tell.
    I am beginning to think that this has something to do with GU13.

• Ubi-Viral
    2366 posts

@asterix201252 Thank you for your reply. We have had an update from the game team that this seed behavior is working as intended. Your feedback has been passed on already about this.

If you need anything else please let us know.

Thank you.

• Asterix201252

@ubi-viral
    Thanks for getting back. Are you able to ask the devs what they mean by "working as intended"? The behaviour is not the same as it used to be. This time when I started the game from an previously used save, I have got different resources in the New World. Everything else is the same; outline of islands, position of rivers etc, just different resources. All the other worlds have remained identical. I have previously done the same thing with this seed several times last year, and always got exactly the same world. I would really appreciate your help in understanding what has happened, and how re-using a previous Autosave0 will work going forward.

EDIT
    I realise that the my title for the post is misleading. Just to be clear, I actually used the same save as last year. Both Highlife04 and Autosave 145 were started from the same file, Autosave0.. It's not like I just used the same seed in the Create Game screens. I thought that the worlds were all fixed once a save had been created.

1. Are the devs saying that they deliberately broke the link between a previous save and resources, presumably as part of GU13? Is it in some way related to the different behaviour of the Eden Burning Scenario? This strange behaviour seems to be unique to Autosave0. Any other old save works just like it used to. Highlife04 looks exactly as it did in December
    2. Is this a one time thing, or are the resources in the New World now somehow randomised? In other words, if I hypothetically start a new game next week from Autosave0 will it be the same as the one that I am playing now, or will it be different again.

Apologies if this sounds argumentative. That's not my intention, but I would like to know what to expect in future.

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts
    Best Answer

Hey @Asterix201252, thanks for your detailed response!

I do understand where you're coming from, however it would be a little tricky to go into detail about this by outlining the reasons behind certain decisions or establish a little more direct way of communication, however to try and answer what you've asked, each time a new fertility set is added/removed, the random shuffling will change by design and is something that will occur when entering the new session for the first time, however if that happens after a GU changes the data, new things will be chosen.

I do hope you will find this useful and if there's any particular feedback or suggestions you'd like to share about this, or if you have any further queries, let us know and we will take it from there!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-karl

Thanks for the response, which totally explains what is going on if I understand correctly. I totally understand that you can't go into all the details of why, I just wanted to understand the effects. You have effectively said that this is associated with GU13 (which I suspected) in that this GU added at least one new fertility (FISH) in New World. So, I got this effect the first time I entered the New World after that, even though I used an old save rather than starting a new game from the same seed. The other worlds weren't affected because there was no change to the fertility set. I am therefore assuming that, if I used this seed again, it would be the same as now until the next time there is a new fertility added somewhere by a future GU. I also guess that what you are saying is that the fertilities are determined when you enter a region for the first time, not when Autosave0 is created.

I also assume therefore that if a future GU, either part of Season 4 or a scenario, changes the resource set again, that session would be affected in a similar way.
    Fair enough; I understand how it works. It's not what I expected, but perhaps not surprising if I think about it longer. I guess it's just never come up before because most of the GUs added new sessions rather than changing an existing one.
    Also, as the game has progressed, I find that I can quite easily manage the fertility changes with the Major Discoveries. Additional Clay Pits and Oil Springs is a little more difficult if you get a lot more than before, but gives me an interesting little problem to solve.

Going forward, if a future GU is going to affect fertilities like this, would it be possible to mention it in the Release Notes?

EDITED 23 MAR 19:05 GMT

• Ubi-Thorlof
    Anno Dev Team Community Developer 290 posts
    Going forward, if a future GU is going to affect fertilities like this, would it be possible to mention it in the Release Notes?

Will keep that in mind, yeah. Generally speaking, any time the fertilities are touched by an update in some way, there'll be change - as Ubi-Karl mentioned above.
    In most cases, I would assume players won't notice as long as they aren't in such a specific situation as you 😉

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@asterix201252

You're probably right. I probably have a corner-case way of playing. It only impacts people who re-use old saves from before all sessions have been discovered. That's what I like about this series; there are a whole load of ways to play, both in terms of what you want to achieve and how you go about it. If I'm honest, I am probably finding that it's less of an issue, even for me, than I thought. I guess I was just surprised when the world wasn't how I expected. What I have learned is that the fertilities are set when you enter a new session, not when Autosave0 is created as I thought. Now I know this, I can easily work round it, so thanks for explaining.

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1259 posts

@asterix201252

Glad we were able to help answer this for you and thanks for your kind words about the series! Cheers!

Official Response

Suggested Topics