ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• johnbrandi11
    Original poster 1 posts

Hello!

Since my old post about the same issue is closed, I'll reopen it now.

I would like to bring up a troubling topic. Namely, Ubisoft's disregard and disrespect towards Ukrainian gamers. In order to make my case and to explain the importance of my plea, I need to start with explaining some background. Disclaimer: this is in no way intended to offend any ethnicity. However, I will be quoting Wikipedia in order to establish some important facts.

So over centuries Russia has had complicated relations with its neighbours. While representatives of many countries can share their stories, I am going to focus on relations toward Ukraine.But to be brief, in 1720 Tsar Peter I of Russia issued a decree in which he ordered the expurgation of all Ukrainian linguistic elements in theological literature printed in Ukrainian typographical establishments. Later Empress Catherine II of Russia issued a secret order to the Prosecutor General of the Russian Empire in which she instructed him to institute a program of Russification for the provinces of Ukraine. In 1862, all Ukrainian Sunday schools were abolished and proscribed. In 1876, tsar Alexander II of Russia issued a secret decree banning the use of the Ukrainian language in print In Soviet Union russification of Soviet-occupied Ukraine intensified in 1938 under Nikita Khrushchev, then secretary of the Ukrainian Communist Party. After Western Ukraine was reabsorbed into the Soviet Union, most prominent Ukrainian intellectuals living there were purged or exiled to Siberia.

This last part is especially traumatic for many as even my family, who were considered intellectual elite, were exiled to Siberia (most murdered).

MY POINT. So why am I bringing this up? The reason is, currently whenever someone logs in to Ubisoft Connect from Ukraine, they are greeted with Russian store and no option to change Store language. No game has Ukrainian interface and games purchased in Ukraine are mostly language-locked in Russian preventing players even from being able to change language to English. Knowing how much suffering has been dealt in order to force the people of Ukraine to speak Russian, don't you think it's extremely insensitive of you to expect people to speak Russian and force the language that was used to replace our own?

Furthermore, when buying games in Ubisoft from Ukraine I'm fairly sure the purchase is being made from a Russian-registered Ubisoft legal entity. Considering the fact that today Russia and Ukraine are in a state of war and the Ukrainian Crimea peninsula has been annexed by Russia in 2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexa...ian_Federation), how is it fair that Ukrainians need to pay VAT to Russian Federation for purchasing Ubi games?

TL;DR - Russia and Ukraine are at war. During USSR times, all the "republics" have suffered greatly from enforcing Russian culture. This is not an opinion - these are plain facts, and information about this is freely available on the internet.

As someone whose family was literally slaughtered simply because they refused to speak Russian, I find it extremely insensitive that Ubisoft is forcing Russian language on me. I feel deeply insulted by the fact that even though you have the means to, say, translate your store into Ukrainian (which many Ukrainians would praise you for (and which many translator teams would volunteer to do for you for little to no reward like they do for Steam)), you choose not to and that you assume that every Ukrainian user has to speak / understand Russian in order to access your store.

Possible solutions? Easy. You can either create a translation server (akin to Steam) and drop new strings for community to translate or hire a couple of translators. With how low average incomes are in Ukraine, you can find a team that can keep your store translated and updated for relatively low cost.

Additionally, since you already have a legal entity in Ukraine (Ubisoft Kiev (which, according to international transliteration also should be converted from Russian-based "Kiev" to Ukrainian-based Kyiv)), please stop making Ukrainians pay VAT to Russian Federation.

It is up to you, Ubisoft, to do the right thing.

P.S. When it comes to international relations, it is common courtesy to respect the culture of the people you are dealing with. If someone were to, say, travel to Japan from France to conduct business there, they would do their utmost to respect the Japanese culture and language. So how come do you, Ubisoft, when conducting business in Poland, Russia, Spain or Italy, have the courtesy to respect the local languages, but when it comes to countries formerly occupied by USSR, you choose to completely disregard theirs?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3613 posts

Hello @johnbrandi11, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

We have launched a Ukrainian Ubisoft store for our users from Ukraine on the 9th of March and you should be able to access it by using the following link > store.ubi.com/ua

For any further questions please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Official Response
  • shamaniack
    17 posts

@ubi-milky
    Unfortunately, the Ukrainian Ubisoft store is still un-operational. While the text there says that "it will be launched in a few days", this placeholder page is present there for almost a month already.
    Moreover, Ukrainian gamers even can't use the Ubisoft+ service - for example, when I try to extend my subscription there, it says that my country is ineligible for the service (despite the https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/purchases-and-rewards/article/country-and-region-availability-for-ubisoft/000064115 where Ukraine is present).

I reached out Support with that question more than 3 weeks ago, due to a message about the upcoming suspension of my Ubisoft+ subscription. No need to say, that nothing was done to help me. I only was told to keep waiting and regularly check the store page for its availability.
    And I hardly believe that it will change in nearest future.

Suggested Topics