ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• dagrommit
    Original poster 894 posts

Gave this a shot over the free weekend, despite quitting FC3 after the tutorial due to motion-sickness. Got to rank 6, and decided to buy it. A few comments on why:

- Dani is a more interesting character, and I like that you start off able to look after yourself. The voice acting for female Dani is also great.
    - Writing of the NPC's I've met so far seems good - the Legends are a highlight. The overall tone of the game not taking itself too seriously is welcome
    - Fantastic job on the animations for Guapo - I laugh every time I pet him
    - Music selection is great
    - Ton of accessibility options. Motion sickness hasn't been a problem after widening the FOV and disabling camera shake. Thanks for this

Dislikes
    - Too many ammo and damage types makes combat feel like a chore due to frequent weapon swapping.
    - Too many currencies/materials in general. I get this is done to better gate progress, but it just puts me off from engaging with many of the systems
    - Completely different KB/mouse control mappings for helicopters vs planes are confusing
    - The Pelican treasure hunt is annoying AF, with the tracking text being misleading as to what you have to do. A way to mute auto-tracking of missions you're not interested in would be nice

Overall
    - The presentation of the story is what keeps me playing, despite the clunky combat
    - Guapo is the best companion. Kinda disappointed he doesn't have more skins available

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• KrayZee_
    96 posts

@dagrommit It became common knowledge that all you need would be armor piercing rounds and you headshot everyone. I recommend maxing out the sensitivity for helicopters and maybe airplanes. It makes sense that airplanes and helicopters function differently, since that's how it is in real life. Unlike real life, at least flying in Far Cry is not that difficult in comparison.

I agree about currencies and materials, and this is a mechanic brought over from Far Cry Primal and Far Cry New Dawn. Both New Dawn and Far Cry 6 heavily focused on makeshift weaponry through crafting. The economy in Far Cry 5 is the best in the series in my opinion. You don't have wallet limits like in Far Cry 3 and 4, and reaching the maximum money takes a lot longer than previous games. You only use dollars and crafting materials are only for specific throwable gadgets, but you don't need them. While Far Cry 5 is the first in the series to have microtransactions, all of them can be purchased with in-game dollars. I don't really like moneda in Far Cry 6. They can only be gained through postgame, some Ubisoft club challenges, Special Operations and rarely in Los Bandidos Operations, but you also have to wait every week for the Black Market to change different featured items in a given week. They would otherwise be purchased with real money that can be bought at any time. I wish pesos in Far Cry 6 would have more use like dollars, rupees and diamonds were in past Far Cry games.

• dagrommit
    It makes sense that airplanes and helicopters function differently, since that's how it is in real life.

For clarity, I am referring to the mapping (which keys are used), not the function (what they do). Using a consistent set of keys would have been less aggravating.

Don't care about any of the currencies/materials, let alone the minutiae of which game they came from. I might pay attention once they block further progress, but they haven't thus far. Hopefully this will be toned down in future games.

• KrayZee_
    96 posts
    It makes sense that airplanes and helicopters function differently, since that's how it is in real life.

For clarity, I am referring to the mapping (which keys are used), not the function (what they do). Using a consistent set of keys would have been less aggravating.

Don't care about any of the currencies/materials, let alone the minutiae of which game they came from. I might pay attention once they block further progress, but they haven't thus far. Hopefully this will be toned down in future games.

You do realize that you're talking about airplanes and helicopters? One goes in a single direction, turn, roll around, requires runways and can drop bombs. The other ascends, descends and rotates. Even in other games such as Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield games, and even Microsoft Flight Simulator would be like this. They are not supposed to be consistent unless you want to fly a Harrier performing vertical takeoff.

I said I agree, but what I said is not minutiae. Sure, you 'quit Far Cry 3 after the tutorial', but I am merely pointing something that is pretty significant. Ubisoft has a tendency to experiment in one game, and then fully dedicate the core mechanics for another. When it comes to specific parts of gameplay, especially when it comes to the game's economy, people will not compare Far Cry 6 to Far Cry 3. They will compare the gameplay, level design and the villains, but it's highly unlikely when it comes to economy. If you want to progress through the game with better results, yes you will need to focus on its economy system. Bringing up older games, whether you played them or not, would probably give you a better understanding how a game works.

Let's say you finished Far Cry 3 but you didn't bother playing the other games. You may develop this belief that you think you still need to hunt animals and craft wallets, weapon holsters, ammo pouches and inventory. You may think climbing radio towers is a required knowledge to explore the map. If you bring this mindset to Far Cry 6, you'll eventually realize Far Cry 6 is different if you compare it to Far Cry 3. If you happen to compare Far Cry 6 to Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn, you would definitely feel more prepared since you get the idea of how a game functions. So when it comes to currency and materials, you would shift your focus through different priorities. From Far Cry 2 to Far Cry 5, you focus on getting paid, you then spend. If you know Far Cry 6 is like Far Cry New Dawn, you know it will be different and you would focus more on exploring and gathering.

Since you don't care, then don't. I'm bringing it up because you're new to the game. If you eventually play other Far Cry games, at least you'll know more of what you're talking about.

• dagrommit
    You do realize that you're talking about airplanes and helicopters? One goes in a single direction, turn, roll around, requires runways and can drop bombs.

Do you understand that mapping and function are different things? Hint: other Ubisoft games don't have this problem - e.g. Breakpoint used a consistent set of keys to control helicopters, drones and planes, even though the functions might be different.

Since you don't care, then don't.

Thanks, still don't care.

• tcarlisle2012
    192 posts

@dagrommit Welcome @dagrommit this is where I have gravitated to since TD2 is a little hard to replay the seasons for the billionth time. LOL.

• dagrommit

@tcarlisle2012 yeah, I've been playing other games too. Good to see someone familiar.

Anyhow, I don't plan on spending much time here, just wanted to get some thoughts down on why I bought the game, and the reservations I have about it. I expect others will disagree, but I'm not here to judge them - we can all like different things 👍

• KrayZee_
    96 posts
    You do realize that you're talking about airplanes and helicopters? One goes in a single direction, turn, roll around, requires runways and can drop bombs.

Do you understand that mapping and function are different things? Hint: other Ubisoft games don't have this problem - e.g. Breakpoint used a consistent set of keys to control helicopters, drones and planes, even though the functions might be different.

Since you don't care, then don't.

Thanks, still don't care.

I know mapping and function are different. You're not even being specific and you are being vague about 'control mappings'. Exactly what is confusing to you? Moving around? The throttle? The weapons? Since airplanes in Ghost Recon Breakpoint can't even attack, maybe that's why you think it's consistent. You can easily change the controls yourself in the options menu if you want it to be consistent. If they function differently, then perhaps you should expect different controls. Keep in mind that helicopters have flares while airplanes have bombs in Far Cry.

Suggested Topics