ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Mars388502
    Original poster 202 posts

@bigrexxx stupid question: do we have an idea of who is in charge of the Ghost Recon IP now? On LinkedIn there is a bit more than 52k employees and many are from HR (I just checked this morning after the IWS maps).

• Killorio
    116 posts

@mars388502 Most likely the "brand manager" of Ghost Recon or similar role.

• Mars388502

@killorio I believe that would be his function, I'm genuily interested in the name of the said person though.

We have the names of the concept and environnement artists (most of them were or are freelances), the lead designer (Éric Couzian, who still is at Ubisoft Paris), one of the writers (Émile Daubon, who seems to be still at Ubisoft Paris).

But we don't know who is in charge of the Delta Company now, director of the IP and other key positions.

In my opinion, and this is just an idea, instead of going at each others throat for a yes or no, it may be more constructive to adress our posts directly to the persons in charge of some of the elements we would like to see in a future iteration.

A step forward and that would rebuild somekind of trust: a simple introduction from the brand manager. Something stupid like:

"Hello,

I'm XXX, I'm the brand manager for the IP, blablabla, where I come from, what I did before Ghost Recon, how long have I worked within the industry, I like dogs (who doesn't?) and what not.

We do consider your opinions and feedbacks and we would like to know more, so here an adress where you can send your ideas. We reserve ourselves the right to reply or not, but at least we will notify you if we opened it or not."

Something among those lines, I don't know. This idea isn't new, we have been asking for a sincere exchange with the studio for a very, very long time now. I don't know if it has been heard, passed to the upper echelons or simply ignored.

On this matter, it would be sincerely appreciated if someone from the moderator team could tell us in a truthfully fashion (please not a standard answer).

(Now I'm going to wait for @FcAc-No-Moe to reply something sarcastic lol)

• Megalodon-26
    294 posts

@mars388502 Unfortunately,I have not been able to find out that information. I suppose their name will be listed in the credits for Frontline, when it finally releases.

• Mars388502

@bigrexxx thank you for looking it up any way

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1245 posts

@Killorio As for the video, you should just have put the video on 0.75 speed to listen it properly, heh.

Well, you may be right there and frankly, I didn't think of that.

@Killorio As for the "this is working as intended" quote from Ubisoft Support person, that's a fine way of being cynical, that is, for Ubisoft, AI running as crap is still "working as intended".

But of course it is, no doubt in my mind, aside from being sarcastic myself and as much as I despise their way of doing business, in a way I was not lying, in their screwed up + blurry vision, they believe with 100% certainty that "it was working as intended" just like I am sure that the Mythological Creature, again in their drug induced blurry vision should be a part of the Ghost Recon franchised. We need to be thankful that they didn't decide that "shiny dancing shoes" shouldn't be the normal wear in the game.

@killorio But I know better: Ubisoft has terrible standards for Quality Control; being "acceptable enough" is what the company sets for, where, mind you, "acceptable" is "decent" at best and "mediocre" at worst. Ghost Recon Breakpoint is just another Ubisoft game plagued with this "paradigm": The Division 2 still has DX12 crashes even after over 1 year, Assassin's Creed Valhalla still crashes once in a while (I had 3 River Raid runs ruined by bugs, aff) and some persistent basic bugs, especially at stealth (the worst of the franchise), Watch Dogs Legion was abandoned and still runs bad in so many ways, older games then...
    Ubisoft just doesn't care enough about releasing polished games.

Well I am going to agree with you, BUT, we as the consumer are part of why this is happening, we all have to have responsibility for our actions and the excuses start with... well, I have enough money that I don't care to throw away 60 bucks on a pre-order because the video trailer looks good (even if we all know that the game will not even resemble that of what the video showed), or well, I spend 60 bucks on a bad dinner so why not if it will give me 30 hours of fun and I am ok with that, etc, etc, etc.

And I am not saying that I am 100% right but, if we all hold out our wallets until those things that we want are in the game, Gaming Studios or Rat Multi Billion Companies will try to do less and less every time you show even the tip of your wallet. Unfortunately, I am in the minority here so the bad AAA turds, erm sorry, games will continue to float because they have no fiber

@Mars388502 52K employees and the majority are from HR? Great, lets hope that the guy in charge is the Comptroller and the devs will be CPAs and we got the AAA GR we all have been dreaming off of. 😁

@Mars388502 Now I'm going to wait for @FcAc-No-Moe to reply something sarcastic lol

You already said and I won't do any better LOL

• Killorio
    116 posts
    @FcAc-No-Moe Well I am going to agree with you, BUT, we as the consumer are part of why this is happening, we all have to have responsibility for our actions and the excuses start with... well, I have enough money that I don't care to throw away 60 bucks on a pre-order because the video trailer looks good (even if we all know that the game will not even resemble that of what the video showed), or well, I spend 60 bucks on a bad dinner so why not if it will give me 30 hours of fun and I am ok with that, etc, etc, etc.

Well, I am well covered against this issue, the last Ubisoft game I pre-ordered was Assassin's Creed Rogue (PC); Assassin's Creed 3 Deluxe Edition had left me disappointed enough yet I did one last time for a Ubisoft game with AC Rogue (and very rarely with other games). Every Ubisoft game I bought afterwards was only from deals (games become more fixed and full prices in my country have been very expensive anyway) thus my conscience is clear. Sadly, I am still part of a minority. If only people just waited for a game to be actually released to only then buy it there would be a relevant evolution from consumers.

• Kean_1
    156 posts

I've never seen preorders save a truly bad game and / or one really riddled with problems. CP2077, Breakpoint and BF2042 are just a few recent examples that come to mind. They all flopped pretty hard after launch and are / were paying the price for that regardless of how many had preordered.

The problem with Ubisoft that I see is that they don't seem to learn from their mistakes. .....or from their successes for that matter as we saw with Wildlands. I will also go as far as to say that they have shown a level of arrogance and even a perception of disdain toward the community at times in their actions (or lack of) and in their responses. I don't need to drone on about how they've shown similar disrespect and tone-deafness toward their own employees at times.

GRBP is dead. What comes next is anyone's guess as I don't think we can rely on Ubisoft, Delta Company nor anyone for that matter to give us an idea anytime soon as to whether the next title in the series will take the same doomed path or actually be a game worthy of the GR / TC name. All we can probably bank on right now is that it will include NFTs which seems more important to Ubi than making a good game.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1245 posts

@kean_1

Sadly, you are 100% correct on your post and even more so in your last statement. Which is very very sad for us in the community waiting for the proper GR game.

• AI.BLUEFOX
    206 posts

I dont think the use of blockchain in the next game and the inclusion, or not, of NFTs will make any difference to how good the game is. It will either be bad or good based on how it plays and what it offers as a game. I could be great and rely heavily on blockchain technology and it could be terrible and not use any blockchain at all.

What will matter is how Ubisoft implement any blockchain tech and their aim in doing so. I think we can agree that they got off to the worst possible start in choosing to use artificially scarcity with an NFT release, but I don't see this as defining the future possibilities. It could be read as revealing their future intent, I agree with that, and if they do follow that path the game will be the worse for it, but blockkchain is just a tool. It's what they make with it that will matter to me.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1245 posts

Based on what we have seen so far and more so by the fact that they have been arrogant and even insulting the community about it by what they said, I do see the NFTs as defining the future of the game and even worse than what they tried to do with BP.

That the game would be bad and even worse with the inclusion of NFT is also almost palpable because they have yet to show the community anything about it and or include them in the path they want to take and well, that is never a good sign... saying that the ship can be swerved afterwards will not be accepted and too late to cry over how much potential it has.

• Mars388502

Excuse the caveman question: but in the 7 seven circles of hell what are NFTs anyway? My general understanding is (at least for GRBP) that they are in games items in limited quantity with a serial number that can be traded for real money. I tried to Google the key words NFT and Blockchain but it was even more confusing for me. If anyone has the patience to explain it, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Megalodon-26
    294 posts

@mars388502 For video games, they basically boil down to a new type of limited edition MTX, that can be resold or traded, but the prices are set by the reseller. So Ubi is literally banking on people's inherent greed, because even the free NFTS that people were gifted, were being listed for sale for hundreds of US dollars, at least they were before they killed off support for the game and Breakpoint NFT's. But if anyone was actually willing to pay that amount, Ubi would get a percentage, for doing nothing. Some art NFT's have sold for millions, and Ubi is hoping for that kind of payout.

IMO, NFT's are actually counterintuitive to making money for Ubi. For every person willing to buy an NFT for $100 or more, of which Ubi only gets a percentage, there could be several thousand players willing to buy that same items as an MTX, for a dollar or two. Except Ubi would get to keep 100% of that profit.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1245 posts

@mars388502

If I were you, I would leave it alone, I also tried reading about it and all I got from it was... Great! another gimmicky pyramid scam even more complicated and fly by night than crypto currency but... good luck with that Mars, you may fair better. 😀

Bottom line is that it is another way for them to make money the easy way while spending less time and effort in the game. Of course, they will face palms themselves not knowing why most people and only a few Lemmings and delta members bought into it but again, I am getting ahead of myself here and we all know that we need to wait until the turd is crapped before we judge.

Oh and Mars, good luck with your latest post, I am going to try my best not to tainted with my response because you are right, it will be more than sarcastic. 😊

• Mars388502

@bigrexxx thank you for having taken the time to explain it. Eventhough I already had the intuition it was a stupid idea to begin with. NFTs looks to be an enormous scam. I tried to watch a documentary about it: 2 dudes were about to buy somekind of lousy picture for 700€, not even a physical copy, something on the internet, something totally dematerialized...but I'm probably too old to understand, or something among those lines.

@fcac-no-moe thank you, I certainly appreciate your effort

• LateNiteDelight
    1040 posts

NFTs

1. They sound trendy, and boards are usually filled with old people - easy way to convince them you're still on the cutting edge and cool.
    2. Allowing people to make real world money translates into more game sales. This has a dark underbelly, of organized crime and slave labor.
    3. A cut of sales, doubly so because they are a major backer of Quartz. This has a dark underbelly potential, depending on how easy it is to remain anonymous, for use by folks looking to launder money.

Granted, they could have done this without NFTs, as other games have in the past - but

As noted, they're just supply limited MTX that they allow to be traded amongst ourselves. There really isn't much upside for players, and the upside for Ubi comes with a lot of negative externalities and potential blowback. But Quartz convinced to invest, and Ubisoft loves them some sunk cost fallacy, so they'll keep trotting out comically transparent garbage about how great it is for us, or that we just don't get it.

• Megalodon-26
    294 posts

@mars388502 Oh God, I just checked Rarible, and it says some idiot paid more than $300 for the Wolf Vest. The problem is, there have been scams before where one person, or a group, will set up multiple accounts, and sell NFT's for inflated prices between themselves. No money actually changes hands, but it creates the false appearance of demand for these items. So while it might look like this one guy paid $300, they might turn around and actually sell it to a gullible mark for $100, and make them think they are getting a deal.

• Mars388502

@latenitedelight to pile on that, I found this article:

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/advice/are-nfts-scams: (https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/advice/are-nfts-scams)

The phrase I entered in Google: are NFTs a scam? Which made me smile somehow

• Kean_1
    156 posts
    @FcAc-No-Moe

Sadly, you are 100% correct on your post and even more so in your last statement. Which is very very sad for us in the community waiting for the proper GR game.

Yeah..... This whole NFT kick Ubi is on is really silly IMO without a proper and successful game to support it. Without a GR title that resonates with fans, MTX's, NFTs, etc. are irrelevant. To my earlier point, developing a game worthy of the GR name that appeals to their customers / community should be paramount.

When I hear Ubi talking about NFTs at this point, this image comes to mind....

Personally, I don't have a problem with NFTs on a general level but I also have zero interest. NFTs themselves don't make a game good or bad just like MTXs, but it really depends how they are implemented and if they affect the game / gameplay in a negative way for those who don't wish to partake.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1245 posts
    @mars388502 Oh God, I just checked Rarible, and it says some idiot paid more than $300 for the Wolf Vest. The problem is, there have been scams before where one person, or a group, will set up multiple accounts, and sell NFT's for inflated prices between themselves. No money actually changes hands, but it creates the false appearance of demand for these items. So while it might look like this one guy paid $300, they might turn around and actually sell it to a gullible mark for $100, and make them think they are getting a deal.

Yep, nothing new (really) that ebay didn't start to do about 15 years ago to be honest or perhaps even older (like it'll just be the head lie? lol). the difference is that now they call it NFT and since it is a new and catchy word people either get wet or pump a chubby about it even if they don't know or understand it... one of the worst fads or trends I have seen so far.

Suggested Topics