ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Mars388502
    Original poster 206 posts

As the title says, now that support has stopped for GRBP, and no information about a possible new Ghost Recon game has come out, what can we do now?

Some have speculated (and this quite worries me) that with the ton of BR style games Ubisoft is about to release, there won't be space for a GR game any time soon and shelve it indefinetly.

As many others, I have spent quite some time on the forum and if there is no new GR game I will surely going to wonder "what for?".

I would like the community to share their thought on this, not really the decision made by the studio, but rather on the what now portion of the question.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Megalodon-26
    297 posts

@mars388502 I fully expect that a new Ghost Recon is in the works already. Ubi Paris has several hundred developers working for them, and they have nothing to do with any of the F2P games, including Frontlines. So unless they are creating a brand new IP, the team that has been developing Ghost Recon games exclusively for close to 18 years, has been working on the next game, for at least 2 1/2 years. Which is already how long it took to develop Breakpoint.

• ApexMandalorian
    15 posts

The series is dead. Has been for a while. We wanted to believe it could be resurrected, but Ubisoft Paris has shown that it just isn't going to happen under their watch. What now? Time to move on. It's possible that Ubisoft Paris is working on a new GR game, but it'll turn out at best like Wildlands, and at worst like Breakpoint, which means it'll still be far from what a Ghost Recon game should be, made by a team who has no passion for anything military-related.

• Megalodon-26
    297 posts

@apexmandalorian After Breakpoint released, Ubi changed the entire organization, so that each franchise had their own executive in charge. So once the new guy took over, he scrapped the second raid and Transcendence, and added the Immersion mode and Op Motherland. So while there was still a lot that could have been done with Breakpoint, the steps that were taken under his leadership, were mostly positive. So it will be interesting to see how the next game turns out, with him being in charge from the start.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1260 posts

I would love to believe that they had finally listen and that we will indeed have a resurrected, mature and grounded Ghost Recon but I just can't, history tells me that I have to stop thinking there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I have to agree 98.5% with ApexMandalorian even if still like to believe that BigRexx has that 1.5% that is left.

And that 1.5% of hope is what keeps me here, otherwise, I would be looking for greener pastures so to speak.

Even if the Dev that believes with all his heart that Mythological creatures belong in GR is already gone, there are still many Devs that don't like or believe in making a Military shooter and then the rest believes that Exploration and picking up flowers is the way to go. So again, for me, there are many constraints or negative assets that will be put forth into this new AAA Ghost Recon but I am now just being redundant so I will stop.

• LateNiteDelight
    1040 posts

@fcac-no-moe I mean, it will likely be an open world iteration of WL/BP.

My biggest question, is it more like a Military Republic Riders? which sounds awful at first blush.. my other question, is Extraction a sign of design language moving forward? As in focusing on some level of randomization or flexibility or modifiers for missions.

If a new Mainline GR happens, I hope it's a smaller open world [with lots of NPC and an Urban core], where they then offer GRAW/Hitman style, self-contained missions off map. They'd be smart to add a community mission editor, so that likely won't happen. I just hope they keep and expand the Ghost Experience.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1260 posts

Well, I know that many want Open World and that is a detriment for my personal taste and not because I am opposed to it firmly but more so because WE ALL, and I do mean WE ALL know (and it could be denied of course) that the Studio will NOT put forth the effort, money and time needed to code a proper Enemy AI and let alone a decent Teammate AI (the difference between proper and decent is huge mind you) so right there we will have a copy/paste of WL & BP... do we really want that?

Oh sure, some here will chime in and say that I am totally wrong and I don't know that for a fact, that it is only a speculation on my part because of my negativity towards the Co. and the Studio. Furthermore, they will also add that I shouldn't judge it until we see a trailer, demo (what they call Beta Testing) which again, it will be too late because it will be barely a month or so away from Launch day.

Now, if that will not be the case and we can see it and then they also take the time to make Proper Missions, hey... I will be the first one to buy it.

Well, ok, let's not go too far either, I will buy it at full price but only 1 day after launch to verify that they didn't take out the best parts LOL.

• LateNiteDelight
    1040 posts

@fcac-no-moe I think the AI question comes down to if they're still supporting the PS4/XBOne - which basically run a 10 year old laptop CPU at this point.

If it's next-gen only, like Avatar, I would hope they improve AI. I could care less about teammates, but I would really like smarter enemies. Biggest thing for me, is the ability to play with no Gear Score.

The only way I don't wait for a sale again, is if they have a Beta, and said Beta is excellent. I'm assuming I'll be waiting for a sale..

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1260 posts

@latenitedelight

Well, therein lies the HUGE issue between you and me and I assume most others that are OGR fans... we ALL want Proper AI Teammates, otherwise what we are playing is just another shooter and while I would be ok with a more Mature, Grounded and Military theme Far Cry, we are still talking about Ghost Recon here.

I don't know anything about Next Gen Consoles or if the PS4 and Xbox (non-NG) can handle it but I don't see why not? I mean, F.E.A.R. has better AI than BP and that game is from 2005.

Now, I am thinking the same as you are with the assumption that we both will be waiting for the Bargain Bin Sale to purchase it.

• LateNiteDelight
    1040 posts

@fcac-no-moe I play with friends when I want teammates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I played older GR games. I just don't like AI teammates [or companions] in any games, because they always suck. They get in my way, they ruin my strat, etc, etc. The only thing they are good for, is as a mobile second life, to rez me when I get too aggressive. I guess in WL/BP they also let me cheese with syncshot.

If we actually had useful AI teammates, that I could set into roles, and could issue commands easily to [that they'd actually follow], then I'd be down for AI teammates. I've just never experienced that in a game, ever.

Let me park overwatch on a ridge to watch my six, who can also call timings and spot ahead. Let me set a sweeper to follow me and cover the other angle as we push. Let me set a supporting gunner down where I expect backup to roll in if things go pear shaped.

I just don't expect Ubi Paris to pull that off - too big of a jump from WL/BP to where I would find them worthwhile.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1260 posts

One would think that with today's technology, one could have all of what you have suggested you want on a Teammate and well, the old OGR Teammate as bad as they were because of not having this technology then, were far better than those in WL and BP, I can tell you that much. At least they didn't break immersion when you see them dancing slow dances with the enemies because they are invisible to them until you actually give them a command... in what world does that makes any sense. Well, yes, you guessed it, in the Paris Studio World (and the followers as well).

Don't get me wrong, this is why I said that I wouldn't mind playing a more mature military Far Cry and this is why I enjoyed more the Original Far Cry until the Mutants got the best of it but still I remember I played that game to death and from every possible path... something I have not been able to do in WL and BP.

At any rate, we both are nothing but dreaming here but so what, It is not like I have anything better to do at the moment. 😁

• zetrocbeast
    8 posts

they should keep making updates to the game since many people play it not because the NFTs failed means they should abandon it
    they should bring more things, maps for PVP, fix the PVP, open the island of moa (the island with clouds) add upgrade weapons to the raid, do something similar to the golem island Titan project

• ManticButton
    3 posts

[censored] out I guess

Honestly I blame quartz for this just when breakpoint gets good news bam it gets kicked 8n the nuts by NFT garbo that allegedly even the Devs hated

There are supposed leaks for a 2023/4 ghost recon game getting developed by Paris but at this point all my optimism is gone

• Lolt6
    86 posts

W/ BP official ended the support, I would guess we should try the alternatives
    Like, Ground Branch for example, it was developed by former R6/GR devs
    Or we could try ArmA 3, yes Ik that one is purely milsim, not everyone got tasted of it, or any tactical-based shooter that is developed by indies, rather than AAA
    Cuz y'know, Indie devs are better than AAA studios

• Megalodon-26
    297 posts

@fcac-no-moe To be fair, it's a lot easier to code AI for a linear game, like F.E.A.R and Future Soldier, because most of their actions are scripted. The problem with linear games though, is they get boring very fast. Where as open world games, you can spend days just messing around, clearing bases using new weapons and tactics. . I have well over 3000 hours invested between Wildlands and Breakpoint. I can't imagine even spending 100+ hours replaying the GRAW or Future Soldier campaigns

• Megalodon-26
    297 posts

@lolt6 Except those games are only on PC, while the vast majority of the community are on console.

• Lolt6
    86 posts

@bigrexxx $ucks to be an L for console community
    Besides, there's a few tactical-based shooter games coming on console, which I can't remember of
    This my wording feels like I'm on PC master race here

• Killorio
    119 posts

Now we CRY in shame and disgust on Ubisoft for abandoning Ghost Recon Breakpoint while keep developing ""Ghost Recon"" Frontline.
    Although I must acknowledge Ubisoft supported Ghost Recon Breakpoint for far longer than I was expecting to. Even Watch Dogs Legion was abandoned soon enough.
    F.

• Megalodon-26
    297 posts

@lolt6 I used to play on PC, but in order to get the most out of these next gen games, it was buy a $700 console, or spend well over $1000 just to get a decent graphics card.

• AI.BLUEFOX
    212 posts
    To be fair, it's a lot easier to code AI for a linear game, like F.E.A.R and Future Soldier, because most of their actions are scripted. The problem with linear games though, is they get boring very fast. Where as open world games, you can spend days just messing around, clearing bases using new weapons and tactics. . I have well over 3000 hours invested between Wildlands and Breakpoint. I can't imagine even spending 100+ hours replaying the GRAW or Future Soldier campaigns

Same here, played both those campaigns once and not again. The first game was as about as open world as it could get at the time, and the freedom to choose any or preferably multiple approaches is a key feature of the franchise.

Having said that, Breakpoint's size starts to wear you out and in the end and an open world starts to limit itself by its initial start point over time. It's always Sicarios and Unidad in Bolivia, alway Sentinel and Wolves in Breakpoint, unless you load completely new separate game modes such as Fallen Ghosts or Motherland in which case its always their particular enemy archetypes.

I'm leaning more towards several smaller open worlds in the game that don't just have different geography but different scenarios - occupied, full scale war going on, etc. Either that or a world where it really does evolve and change as you make choices. A bit like Motherland starts to point to, but fully systemic. Multiple, smaller open maps that each simulate an AO, but way bigger than single mission maps, could keep things fresher.

Suggested Topics