ubisoft discussions

quick-suggestions

• GRBP is dead, what now?

0 likes/244 replies/3151 views
    FcAc-No-Moe
    ubisoft:x-posts, 1534
    @bigrexxx To be fair, it's a lot easier to code AI for a linear game, like F.E.A.R and Future Soldier, because most of their actions are scripted. The problem with linear games though, is they get boring very fast. Where as open world games, you can spend days just messing around, clearing bases using new weapons and tactics. . I have well over 3000 hours invested between Wildlands and Breakpoint. I can't imagine even spending 100+ hours replaying the GRAW or Future Soldier campaigns

Yes of course but that was not the main point. With Today's technology one would think that at the very least AI would be on par with the AI from 15 to 20 years ago but that is not the case and it doesn't matter why that is, while it may be a good excuse, in the end is nothing more than that... an Excuse.

If they want to make an open world AAA shooter then the effort, time, money and manpower should go hand in hand but instead, we get gimmicks like Exploring barren parts of the world with the sporadic 3 to 5 enemies patrolling and guarding the grass or rock or flowers because side missions and challenges will come from it and while you and others may like it, my point is yet again that it should not be part of a Ghost Recon game. Also Gear Score etc, etc.

On the other side of the token, I play Linear games a lot if the missions were good because the missions were good where here in BP, I have played the main missions once because they were not good... my opinion of course.

• hralex1951
    ubisoft:x-posts, 233

Next GR=Frontlines
    Next Div=Heartland / Xdefiant
    Next Far Cry= live service game
    Next AC=Infinity live service game

F2P and live service, all PVP all the time, little PVE, no more campaigns, the future for Ubi is grabbing some of that Fortnite gold. If it works, that is that, if not, who knows what they turn to, but dev costs have escalated and investors want returns faster, not good for gaming, but that is that, it is all about money.

• Kean_1
    ubisoft:x-posts, 209
    As the title says, now that support has stopped for GRBP, and no information about a possible new Ghost Recon game has come out, what can we do now?

Some have speculated (and this quite worries me) that with the ton of BR style games Ubisoft is about to release, there won't be space for a GR game any time soon and shelve it indefinetly.

As many others, I have spent quite some time on the forum and if there is no new GR game I will surely going to wonder "what for?".

I would like the community to share their thought on this, not really the decision made by the studio, but rather on the what now portion of the question.

What now? ...who knows. I know I have no reason to think we will hear anything about a new GR from Ubi until it is well into development or even shortly before release like what happened with BP. They might collaborate with a very small, select group to gather feedback like they've don in the past (under NDA of course) but I have no hope that will do much (if anything) to help the community get their concerns addressed. Again, Ubi needs to make an effort to engage with their fans (as a community) to get this franchise back on track. ....and much earlier on in the development cycle.

Ubi has said that while they will be focusing more on F2P ventures, etc., they won't stop creating traditional game titles. .....just fewer of them. In the meantime, I'm playing other games as I have been since before BP released. ...which I never developed the taste to buy due to far too many issues I have with the product and Ubi.

My eyes are on games like Six Days in Fallujah and even Zero Six which will be a direct competitor to GR if they end up following through. I'm also interested in what will come after Hell Let Loose which is also another great game (leaning more toward realism) that has come to console.

• Ice-Quinn
    ubisoft:x-posts, 56

I don’t know, child… things are dire. 😢

It’s akin to lending your favorite jacket to some French douchebag, and when it’s returned, the jacket is all dirty and damaged, smells really bad under the arms, there’s wine stains and like another white, viscous stain - that you want to believe it’s some kind of pastry filling - and you know, it’s just not the same jacket anymore. It never will be.

Do you let go of the jacket? Buy another? Give up jackets entirely for cardigans? Slap the crap out of that French mofo who ruined your jacket, as Will Smith did Chris Rock at the Oscars? Do you meditate, work within yourself to find peace in that which you cannot change - OR - do you plot revenge, borrow a piece of clothing from said French villain, and proceed to defile it with your own bodily fluids and foulest of scents, give that French [censored] a taste of his own medicine?

Question mark.
    "When you haven't forgiven those who've hurt you, you turn back against your future. When you do forgive, you start walking forward." - Tyler Perry

• apsingh1
    ubisoft:x-posts, 48

Ubisoft, you should always announce the good news before bad news. Announcement of next game should have come before the death announcement of GRB. Disappointing strategy.

• LateNiteDelight
    ubisoft:x-posts, 1040

@bigrexxx I don't think they had the cycles to spare with Breakpoint, due to visual choices and the drones, they basically got all they could get out of the PS4/XBOne. I honestly thought we wouldn't get Motherland and they'd be working on a NextGen only game - which kind of sounds like what is happening.

I wonder if they could just use AI pairs or squad tactics, with a last known visual for guidance. Train two man movements, then train a way for those two man's to work in concert with a group. Or have specific units that play off the two man AI.

Say I'm taking the Data Farm and I come down at the tanks. I make a mistake and am spotted. One two man pair comes at me from one route, splitting the alley, trading cover/fire as they advance. Another two man works from another alley. Maybe a flanking team tries to loop around. Change up tactics based on units involved. Then the rest take up defensive support positions around the known HVT/VIP. A new visual spotting resets the pathing for the teams?

I don't know.. not sure how Anvil functions on that front [or if they're on something else?]. Could also create Hunt Squads, called when our heat gets too high in a region, using last known visual, with various tracking patterns

• Kean_1
    ubisoft:x-posts, 209

......just saw this tonight in my news feed:

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-ghost-recon-game/

"A new "mainline" Ghost Recon game is reportedly in development"

• Mars388502
    Original poster ubisoft:x-posts, 238

@ai-bluefox I remember this being fairly discussed on the former forum. I must admit that I'm particularly enclined to it though.

I really liked Wildlands for the operational freedom it offered, GRBP too, to some extend. I still believe that with a great and appropriated narrative having the equivalent of an IRL region as an AO is just as interesting as several smaller maps.

One can say thar the same argument can be used for smaller maps, with a compelling narrative everything could work to that extend.

Do you have an example of another game using this approach?

• zetrocbeast
    ubisoft:x-posts, 8

@lolt6 i do play arma 3 is freaking good but sadly not many people play ( well a lot people play it but some people dont like 60% like it and 40% dont 😧 )

• Church367A
    ubisoft:x-posts, 147

@mars388502 Depends on your perspective, but would you consider the two maps in MGSV to be using "smaller" maps? If so, then there is MGSV which did fairly well. If multiple maps that were not anywhere near the size of Wildlands' or Breakpoint's maps were used such as those in MGSV with the same model of them being in separate worldly locations was used, it would not bother me one bit and give more flexibility to the story as well in utilizing more than one location.

When it comes down to it, I think that would offer up an easier way to fit in the diverse biomes and combat locations people want out of the game without having to try and combine all of it into one single map location. Gives the opportunity for DLC to be used in a more classic sense of where you would have a new map area to be created and utilized in the future as well, though that would take work that I doubt Ubi is willing to put into a project anymore.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    I don’t know, child… things are dire. 😢

It’s akin to lending your favorite jacket to some French douchebag, and when it’s returned, the jacket is all dirty and damaged, smells really bad under the arms, there’s wine stains and like another white, viscous stain - that you want to believe it’s some kind of pastry filling - and you know, it’s just not the same jacket anymore. It never will be.

Do you let go of the jacket? Buy another? Give up jackets entirely for cardigans? Slap the crap out of that French mofo who ruined your jacket, as Will Smith did Chris Rock at the Oscars? Do you meditate, work within yourself to find peace in that which you cannot change - OR - do you plot revenge, borrow a piece of clothing from said French villain, and proceed to defile it with your own bodily fluids and foulest of scents, give that French [censored] a taste of his own medicine?

Question mark.
    "When you haven't forgiven those who've hurt you, you turn back against your future. When you do forgive, you start walking forward." - Tyler Perry

Mmmmmmm the fine arts of Mix Vocabulary Salad... a very good dish! 🤣

P.S.: from the link that Kean posted!

Ubisoft is reportedly working on a new Ghost Recon game in its Paris studio. And ready for 2023 with 1 year under the hood?

UGH!!! 👎

@Church367A I wish they would listen to your points instead because as much as I would love to have an open world like most here want, I just don't believe the Studio wants to take needed for all that coding, according to those in the know is doable and I believe it but again, does the Studio and Ubi want to take the needed time? therein lies the question and the difference between having a Next Gen OGR or a BP 2.0

P.P.S.: Oh and let me guess, Delta was not aware of it or it has been testing it but can't say because of NDA. It will have more Mythological creatures because, hey, why not, and by the time it is announced it will be too late to get rid of 80% of the baggage the community doesn't want. 2 years of development and we are waiting for said Ground & Mature GR. Awesome!

• Umbra1-1
    ubisoft:x-posts, 15

@kean_1 ""Ubi needs to make an effort to engage with their fans (as a community) to get this franchise back on track... and much earlier on in the development cycle."

@bigrexxx See, this is why I have no confidence in Ubisoft Paris, even after Ubisoft's restructuring. They've had time to engage with their community, and they've still chosen not to. They still chose to do NFTs. They still chose to go months without communication. They don't care. There's no reason to expect anything different from them going forward, and they still seem to have no passion whatsoever for anything military-related nor Ghost Recon-related so I have no confidence that Project Over/OVR will be better.

• Megalodon-26
    ubisoft:x-posts, 363

@kean_1 The thing that all these reports are getting wrong though, is that we just started the 2023 Fiscal Year, last week. Based on previous financial disclosures from Ubi, they start their fiscal year on April 1st. So their fiscal year looks something like this.

FY2020 = Apr 1st 2019 - Mar 31st 2020
    FY2021 = Apr 1st 2020 - Mar 31st 2021
    FY2022 = Apr 1st 2021 - Mar 31st 2022
    FY2023 = Apr 1st 2022 - Mar 31st 2023

So that means that the new Ghost Recon game could release within the next 12 months. Which is extremely plausible, since there was only 2 1/2 yrs between Wildlands and Breakpoint, and it's already been 2 1/2 yrs since Breakpoint released. Plus there was only 5 months between the reveal and launching the game, so it's possible there could be a reveal in the next few months, with a release around October - November. Personally though, I can see them delaying the release until March or April, since Avatar is likely going to be their big holiday release. And other than Avatar, Ubi doesn't have any other AAA franchise, that could even possibly release in the next year.

• FcAc-No-Moe

So! it is your firm belief that they could produce a proper, mature & grounded full blown AAA military squad based Ghost Recon Game in 2 1/2 years of Development? And also, w/o showing it to the community or the world? If it is THAT good, why is there no Hype-Train? I doubt that it is because of this lowly community since they don't really care about us.

I am thinking more like Breakpoint 1.0.0.2 if they will take 2 1/2 years but you are right... I am a negative guy yes but, history tells a different story though.

I mean, Wildlands took 5 years IIRC? 5 years and yet, the shortcomings in the Enemy/Teammate AI and Mission Gameplay are still there, very palpable that it needed at least another good year or 2.

• IllyriusWarrior
    ubisoft:x-posts, 28

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4384220-ubisoft-weakest-link-in-strong-industry: (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4384220-ubisoft-weakest-link-in-strong-industry)
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4491250-ubisoft-losing-itself: (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4491250-ubisoft-losing-itself)

They cut games that can create revenue and people like than make such remarks

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/elden-ring-criticized-game-developers-tweets-controversy/: (https://denofgeek.com/games/elden-ring-criticized-game-developers-tweets-controversy)

And keep up keep rainbow 6 and other nonsense games, try to catch up to latest trends on mobile.
    Being all are all over the place and no where. They don't know what the market demand, thus follow blindly trends trying to be relevant again.

• Megalodon-26
    ubisoft:x-posts, 363

@fcac-no-moe Wildlands took 5 years because it was their first open world game, and they were also trying to accurately reproduce the life, history and folklore of Bolivia. And if it release next Spring, it will have been in development for 3 1/2 yrs. Even Breakpoint could have ended up completely different if it had the benefit of an extra year of developement. As for the tone of the game, that depends on the creative director. If they say that the game should be more grounded in reality, it will be. And Ubi has more than enough resources to hire military consultants, just like they do for movies and TV, in conjunction with the community feedback that we've been providing for the last several years, to produce an incredible game.

• IllyriusWarrior

@illyriuswarrior

Well ubi designers how about listening to actual market demands, which your customer are part of that market.
    Immortals Fenyx Rising you guys had a chance to make your own elden rings and god of war when feedback from Assassin's Creed Odysseus to focus on mythology but instead you created the joke that is the PG 2 Immortals Fenyx Rising. No wonder your games don't cut in market because you don't listen to feedback. Same here. Even ARMA 3 still makes revenue and the game is old. But what do I know as investor and gamer.

• AvengerGR35
    ubisoft:x-posts, 67

Just play Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2. Its like BP, but better. Better story, better gameplay, slightly better enemies, better ballistics, 5 different small open world maps. Sure it doesn't have the gun and character customization of BP, but it excells at everything else. It is also made by a much smaller studio.

• IllyriusWarrior

Necons, neoliberals and liberals same sh different name.

In case of neocons they have given us so much now they give us the endless wars/proxy while the rest of the world's to do the moping deal with emigrants like EU, after the masters neocons decided to turn their places into sh holes for their own interest.

@avengergr35

Neocons hero, sniper contract.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/9kvxy7/why-president-obama-is-a-neocon: (https://vice.com/en/article/9kvxy7/why-president-obama-is-a-neocon)
    https://theintercept.com/2019/01/11/as-democratic-elites-reunite-with-neocons-the-partys-voters-are-becoming-far-more-militaristic-and-pro-war-than-republicans/: (https://theintercept.com/2019/01/11/as-democratic-elites-reunite-with-neocons-the-partys-voters-are-becoming-far-more-militaristic-and-pro-war-than-republicans)
    https://theintercept.com/2017/07/17/with-new-d-c-policy-group-dems-continue-to-rehabilitate-and-unify-with-bush-era-neocons/: (https://theintercept.com/2017/07/17/with-new-d-c-policy-group-dems-continue-to-rehabilitate-and-unify-with-bush-era-neocons)
    https://www.vox.com/2016/8/17/12494052/hillary-clinton-neocons: (https://vox.com/2016/8/17/12494052/hillary-clinton-neocons)
    https://wikiless.org/wiki/Neoconservatism?lang=en: (https://wikiless.org/wiki/Neoconservatism?lang=en)

By the way neocons are not a real conservative or republican, this is why they have the Neo before and are called Republican only by name or pseudo conservative and pseudo republicans, because they were democrats originally that changed sides went to republicans, and now are the chickens are back home again at Democratic Party.

• hralex1951
    ubisoft:x-posts, 233

The problem is the cost of AAA games and the development time, investors are not willing to wait 3 years to get a return on their money. Something will have to give, the F2P experiment will be the future if it pays, if not, something else will have to emerge.

Suggested Topics