ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Eagleyezx
    Original poster 139 posts

Dear Ubiflop and fellow Ghosts,

I wanted to share this video on a comparison between Metal Gear Solid 5 Vs Breakpoint AI. Metal Gear Solid 5 is one of my favourite games of all time and that's because you won't find AI like it in any other open world tactical third person shooter.

I'd like to say to my fellow Ghosts that yes, hardware limitations is no excuse for terrible AI. If you have played Metal Gear Solid 5 then you would understand anyone's frustrations with Breakpoint and even Wildlands' AI. They're both not admirable for the open world third person tactical shooter that we need.

It is quite a long video but if you watch 10 minutes of it then you might understand how much Breakpoint and even possibly other Ubiflop games are in terms of its AI.

Anyways, the new Ghost Recon is well into development so I expect the AI to be no better than Wildlands or Breakpoint, but let's see.

Eagle-eyezx

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ArgimonEd
    193 posts

@eagle-eyezx I agree with you on almost all points except the ones I will mention now, didn't seen the full video but.
    The helmet thing in MGSV is not done really well because:
    1 helmets don't fly off when shot, if you don't have your helmet strapped it will slide backwards
    2 You couldn't possibly hear the metallic sound from more than 30 to 40m away.
    3 and most important, is super duper ultra incredibly rare for a helmet to stop or even deflect a round of a rifle (specially full power calibers) at distances under 200m away.
    You either get it absolutely right or it's not something worth to add to the game, the helmet thing is one of the things that break my immersion the most in MGS, because the game doesn't have a true hitscan.
    If you pay attention, like a lot, the engine will identify the area closest to where you are aiming and the bullet will be magnetized to it.
    Had several occasions where my aim was dead center in the enemy mouth, and the game made my tranq go to his vest, and later to his helmet.
    Sometimes since depending on the distance you can see the tranq flying with the naked eye you can see it change trajectory mid flight to hit where the engine decided you would hit.
    A lot of times my aim was in the head, but he started moving his arm, the arm didn't blocked the trajectory, but the engine made a new calculation and I saw the tranq move to the right and hit the enemy in the arm.
    There is a lot of things done right in MGsV but the hitscan and the helmet gimmick are not one of them IMHO.

I will see the rest of the video when I arrive home later, I stopped the moment you shot Breakpoint heavy in the helmet.
    But so far it's really good, for now this is my only reservation

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1384 posts

@eagle-eyezx

Is this the game where Paranormal activity is king in the beginning? if so, I couldn't continue because of it.

Now, even before playing this game or going to watch some videos of it, I was under no illusion that the reason behind crappy "AI" was due to console limitations... only water down and horrendous efforts.

• wapeddell
    33 posts

@eagle-eyezx Great video. All we can do is hope and pray.

• LateNiteDelight
    1040 posts

I'm not going to defend Ghost Recon AI, because it's awful. Just dreadful. MSG V AI is better [still not great, but anything is better than Ghost Recon AI].

But there is a limited pool of CPU resources. AI pulls from this, but so do polygons and objects. Not only that, but different engines perform differently. MSG V has less polygons and less density - because they made the correct choice to put more resources toward AI. When you look at how Ubisoft is run - pretty is more important than gameplay. It's an edict from the top, because it happens in all of their franchises. It's really a shame they added the paranormal crap, and I wish they could have handled higher densities in MSG V.

Granted, it could also be a difficult engine or lack of AI talent at Ubi Paris - but when you look at it, the culprit more seems that they chose pretty arcade over less pretty simulation.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1384 posts

It is my belief that they try their hardest to do the least to see how much they could make from it. Perhaps they didn't like what they saw in return but then again, not much was invested so there is not much they can get upset at.

This is like Rolls Royce trying to sell a CHINESE VEHICLE with the Rolls Royce badge and expecting people to pay for a Rolls Royce 🙄

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

The AI in V isn't actually the brightest. I'd say they are equal to the AI in BP with only a few advantages.

Suggested Topics