ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Mars388502
    Original poster 222 posts

This is a copy paste from a post I made in a different thread, but the idea stays the same: can we have a real exchange with the dev team around here or anywhere else at the discretion of Ubisoft?

The question is adressed to the moderator team ( @Ubi-Heruhoss among others). It would be sincerely appreciated if someone from the moderator team could tell us, in a truthfully fashion (please not a standard answer). But something sincere, within the limits of your attributions.

We have the names of the concept and environnement artists (most of them were or are freelances), the lead designer (Éric Couzian, who still is at Ubisoft Paris), one of the writers (Émile Daubon, who seems to be still at Ubisoft Paris).

But we don't know who is in charge of the Delta Company now, director of the IP and other key positions.

In my opinion, and this is just an idea, instead of going at each others throat for a yes or no, it may be more constructive to adress our posts directly to the persons in charge of some of the elements we would like to see in a future iteration.

A step forward and that would rebuild somekind of trust: a simple introduction from the brand manager. Something stupid like:

"Hello,

I'm XXX, I'm the brand manager for the IP, blablabla, where I come from, what I did before Ghost Recon, how long have I worked within the industry, I like dogs (who doesn't?) and what not.

We do consider your opinions and feedbacks and we would like to know more, so here an adress where you can send your ideas. We do reserve ourselves the right to reply or not, but at least we will notify you if we opened your mail or not."

Something among those lines, I don't know. This idea isn't new, we have been asking for a sincere exchange with the studio for a very, very long time now. I don't know if this idea has been heard, passed to the upper echelons or simply ignored. A real answer would be appreciated. Furthermore, it could contribute to change our perception of the company/studio.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@mars388502 I've said it a couple of times, that members from the dev team should do a roundtable on Facebook live, with a Delta member acting as a moderator, asking both predetermined questions from the community, and questions asked by the streaming audience.

• El_Cuervacho
    56 posts

Doing some research on this topic, came across a brief presentation from 2016 by Tommy François (IP Director during FS and VP Editorial during WL) before the Great Purge, that saw him and a bunch of other execs sacked for alleged sexual misconduct.
    Never seen this one posted on the forums before and there's a bit on WL at the end, so sit back and enjoy all the theoreticals involved:

• Mars388502

@el_cuervacho fairly interesting although, one can wonder what happened with GRBP. I'm also tempted to think that you posted this very video with provocative intents lol

• El_Cuervacho
    56 posts
    I'm also tempted to think that you posted this very video with provocative intents lol

Oh, would I ever...!

• Kean_1
    169 posts
    @bigrexxx
    @mars388502 I've said it a couple of times, that members from the dev team should do a roundtable on Facebook live, with a Delta member acting as a moderator, asking both predetermined questions from the community, and questions asked by the streaming audience.

Maybe it's just me but I just don't see the value involving Delta in this regard. Personally, I think the Ubisoft Community staff should be directly responsible for moderating, organizing and executing these types of events. The Community Managers / staff should be the face of Ubisoft and who we establish a better relationship with IMO. .....a direct line so to speak rather than what is essentially a community middle-man.

I dunno..... That's just the way I see it. Focus groups are fine but I never bought into this idea of Delta Company that Ubi tried to sell. Besides the fact it was shown to be basically toothless in regard to how it would benefit the fans. ....not blaming the members necessarily.

The thing is, Ubi did do something similar with The Division 2. They had a livestream hosted by Hamish Bode a Ubisoft employee (Community Developer if I'm not mistaken). These were called "The Divsion 2: State of the Game" where the host went over community questions, popular discussions / concerns, guests (e.g. devs, etc.), new developments, contests and so on. It was well put together IMO and most of the hotly debated topics on the forums were addressed. At one point these were held weekly if memory serves.

I recall one particular issue I was concerned about that the host addressed by referring to a conversation he had in the office in the hallway. These are all people he works with so he's in the trenches so to speak. Anyhow, he was able to provide an update about this particular problem being addressed in the next patch. .....it really never was fully put to rest but the point is that the communication through these "state of the game" livestreams went a long way to helping establish a relationship with their fans. .....better than nothing like we have here with the GR group.

....btw, here's one of those videos just to give you an idea.

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@kean_1 My reasoning for having a Delta member moderate, rather than just a Ubi employee, or even a gaming journalist, would be that as true fans of the franchise, they would know the know the right questions to ask. But they would also want actual answers, so they may be more apt to ask follow up questions to dig past any ambiguous non-answers and corporate spin, to get real information.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

@bigrexxx

I beg to differ but I won't get into the why. I rather suggest that GMoneyMozarts does the Moderating as he is truly a community member and it is not immediately involve with Ubisoft so he could be more neutral to the whole thing. If Gmoney doesn't want to or if someone knows that he is too involved with Ubisoft then I would be more in favor of Kean or MikeWeeks.

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@fcac-no-moe I'm not overly surprised that you don't agree, since you have a very pessimistic outlook about everything about the game and Ubi, including the Delta Squad. But even though there is an existing relationship, many of the Delta members have been quite critical of the game and the devs, including Blue, Bayzy, ASQD gaming and Andy from Bullet Catcher Gaming, yet they haven't lost their status. But IMO, I think that pre-existing relationship is key, since the devs might be more comfortable opening up to someone they already know and can engage in friendly discourse, versus being hesitant talking candidly with someone they just met, even if they are a known amongst the community.

• Kean_1
    169 posts
    @bigrexxx
    My reasoning for having a Delta member moderate, rather than just a Ubi employee, or even a gaming journalist, would be that as true fans of the franchise, they would know the know the right questions to ask. But they would also want actual answers, so they may be more apt to ask follow up questions to dig past any ambiguous non-answers and corporate spin, to get real information.

I don't see Delta in general being able to extract answers Ubisoft isn't willing to provide. In other words, if a Community Manager isn't able to share info (e.g actual answers) on things Ubi isn't willing to share, I don't see how we could expect they would be forthcoming with Delta either.

The community Managers and staff are supposed to be the liaisons between the community and the developers, etc. They are essentially who we as the community deal with. They are the ones who are combing through the forums, social media, etc. gathering and organizing feedback, moderating discussions and so on. It makes sense to me that they (or folks within that group or similar) would be the one(s) who would organize State of Play events, drive discussions, gather polls, etc.

Of course, none of this will work through the CMs, Delta or anyone for that matter unless Ubi dedicates themselves to actually improving community relations, communication, etc.

The "right questions" to ask are being asked already. The topics that are important to the community have and are already being shared. CMs should already be fans of the products they represent. If they are not, or have an issue putting their finger on the pulse of those they are supposed to support, maybe that's part of the problem?

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts
    @fcac-no-moe I'm not overly surprised that you don't agree, since you have a very pessimistic outlook about everything about the game and Ubi, including the Delta Squad. But even though there is an existing relationship, many of the Delta members have been quite critical of the game and the devs, including Blue, Bayzy, ASQD gaming and Andy from Bullet Catcher Gaming, yet they haven't lost their status. But IMO, I think that pre-existing relationship is key, since the devs might be more comfortable opening up to someone they already know and can engage in friendly discourse, versus being hesitant talking candidly with someone they just met, even if they are a known amongst the community.

Yes and for a good reason (even if I believe is more realistic than pessimistic but who am I to change your point of view), in some way or another they depend on Ubisoft, whereas Gmoney, Kean or MikeWeeks don't but why bother continue when Kean very eloquently explained what I probably would have taken half the forum page and not really get my point across.

• MikeWeeks
    390 posts

If Ubisoft isn't willing to change the way they operate after all the years of direct (and unfiltered) feedback, it's all really a moot point, imo.

• Mars388502

@mikeweeks you're probably right. Despite that, I sincerely believe that we, as community can have a certain power of nuisance, it's certainly somekind of Don Quichote complex anyhow.

It has been more than 24h, so @Ubi-Heruhoss , could you eventually tell us if there is any alternative, solution to resolve the lack of communication? If any demand for more transparency has been sent to your upper echelons and taken in consideration? Within the limits of your attributions.

• Kean_1
    169 posts
    @mikeweeks you're probably right. Despite that, I sincerely believe that we, as community can have a certain power of nuisance, it's certainly somekind of Don Quichote complex anyhow.

Yeah, those pesky customers begging for engagement from the company and making far reaching requests for things like more authentic aspects, mechanics and gameplay in a franchise that used to be defined by things such as this.

Don Quixote complex? ......nah, I don't think so. Many of the suggestions most people have asked for ever since Breakpoint, Wildlands and beyond are certainly within the realm of reason for the GR / TC franchise. Ubisoft are the ones who have forgotten what the Tom Clancy and Ghost Recon brand means to people. ....or are hell bent on trying to reinvent it despite what fans want.

If Ubisoft views their paying customers as a nuisance, they've got bigger problems than I thought.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts
    If Ubisoft isn't willing to change the way they operate after all the years of direct (and unfiltered) feedback, it's all really a moot point, imo.

Well, you know me Mike, I knew the point was even more dead than BP a long time ago and moot had already been buried beneath it but, in keeping with the self serving discussions we got going on here, why not add my 2 cents to the whole thing. 😊

Do Bookmark this posts folks so when the Hype train starts and they tell you that they want your feedback because it is important for them, well, you know where you really stand.!

Yep, that's right ... Nowhere!

Right here in this post is where you are standing.

• Mars388502

It will make 48H since the first post, so @Ubi-Heruhoss could you eventually tell us if there is any alternative, solution to resolve the lack of communication? If any demand for more transparency has been sent to your upper echelons and taken in consideration? Within the limits of your attributions.

Until we get an answer, I'm going to do this. I'm stubborn and I have the time to do something this stupid. Next step would be to start sending paper registred letters. If I go that direction, what should I write? In my opinion I will live 1 month to Ubisoft to get back to the forum and tell us something before upgrading means.

The title of the thread is fairly explanatory, but I guess some of us have other ideas to resolve this particular issue:

-Have an introduction from the IP Manager
    -Have a monthly/weekly update for the franchise

• How the community can influence the design process
    • How said community can contribute to the project

-What the studio wants to know

Something among those lines, if you come up with other ideas, formats, who would you want to contact, reach (Dev team isn't a person)?

Edit: I just came back from the French GRBP forum and had a quick look to the comments... Maybe the French communtiy is more forgiving than us.

• Virtual-Chris
    807 posts

@el_cuervacho

Thanks for sharing that video. There’s no doubt in my mind that Ubisoft’s core competency is building beautiful, large, and realistic open worlds. And that’s because they actually invest in experiencing the real world places that inspire their digital creations. Their challenge (or biggest problem) is then building a good game in that world. The AI, the mission content, the story are where they struggle most. (Massive Studios being the exception where the game far far exceeds the world).

Wildlands got by with a great world, decent shooting, an expansive campaign, and interesting characters but it really didn’t have a story or outstanding mission designs.

Breakpoint also has a great (physical) world and decent shooting but really lacks anything else… no soul, only one interesting character, very limited content, and a very poor story and premise. As I said before, if Breakpoint was developed over two years, it feels like the world took 23 1/2 months and then game was slapped on it in two weeks.

If physically visiting the location inspiring a GR open world is a prerequisite for the game, that may explain why we have not had a modern GR game in an actual war torn hot zone. Having a Dev team visit Afghanistan is probably just not practical. Hopefully they find a way.

• Mars388502

A bit less than 72h after the first post. As stated before I will continue until the 19th of May when I decide to write directly to the studio.

So once again @Ubi-Heruhoss , could you eventually tell us if there is any alternative, solution to resolve the lack of communication? If any demand for more transparency has been sent to your upper echelons and taken in consideration? Within the limits of your attributions.

The community may have have other ideas to resolve this particular issue:

-Have an introduction from the IP Manager
    -Have a monthly/weekly update for the franchise

• How the community can influence the design process
    • How said community can contribute to the project

-What the studio wants to know

Something among those lines, if you come up with other ideas, formats, who would you want to contact, reach (Dev team isn't a person)?

We can't keep spinning around like we are at the moment and getting at each other throats for a yes or a no. We are all rowing in the same boat and there is only one direction: forward.

• xpara24089
    5 posts

@el_cuervacho
    lets remember the native indians where the true American
    im ex Amy sean lots of diferant folks in the world
    where did leave out lots of folke left out of the game there sould be there to get up and go to work in games theres no one doing this

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

I applaud your enthusiasm & commitment @Mars388502 even if I'm thinking that the few still here in the community are the only one doing the applauding. Something tells me or It appears the Studio is still in Rehab because we all know they are ALL ABOUT listening to the community.

@xpar24089 I invite you to re-read your post and see if it makes sense to you as hard as I try, I can't make sense of it. I mean no disrespect, on the contrary, I like to make sense of it.

Suggested Topics