ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Yorky65
    Original poster 19 posts

I am an octogenarian and relatively new to ANNO 1800. I find it a wonderful game and it provides my memory with a real work-out. However as one advances in the game I become a little overwhelmed by dealing with a number of islands in both the Old & New World. I would find it useful if one could pause activity in one world while working in the other. I hope I've explained myself but I need to spend time setting up an island and when I return to the other world (whichever that may be) I find I have difficulty catching up with events. In addition if you employ a DLC in the game that can really be too much to handle for some of us oldies at any rate.
    Perhaps your developers might consider this.
    Thank you. Yorky 65

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Thorlof
    Anno Dev Team Community Developer 290 posts

Hey Yorky65,
    I get where you're coming from regarding the always busy worlds of Anno 1800.
    However, the way the game is set-up with the calculations of each region necessary in the background for things like trade routes, income, research and the quick switch between regions, it's unfortunately not possible to pause worlds like you suggested.
    Sorry for being the bringer of bad news here.

Cheers,
    Thorlof

Official Response
  • Yorky65
    Original poster 19 posts

@ubi-thorlof Thank you for your reply. Actually I had 'engaged brain' and realized that produce etc could not continue to be supplied from the other 'World' if it were to be paused. I much appreciate your reply which confirms I appear to be still thinking despite my advanced age.
    Thank you. Yorky65.

• Hier0nimus
    42 posts

@yorky65

What you could do if you want to take it at a slow pace is set the speed to the minimum. That way you get more time to think and build.
    You do not need to set the speed to 3x to get everything as fast as possible. If the speed is set to 0.5x you will also get double the time of fun in the end 😉

Another thing that could help you is to advance at a slow pace. Do not try to do everything at the same time.
    Wait to advance to the next thing (new regions, new population types,...) until you stabilized everything. If you are running out of something, do not think "it will be fine, I can just do this first and I'll see..." because it will bite you in the butt. Because that one things becomes 2 things and then 5 things, and then before you know it choas everywhere 🙂
    Also, give yourself time to learn everything step by step. Start over again and learn from mistakes you made in previous games. In the end we all learn by making mistakes and fail.

Good luck and most of all, have fun with the game! Happy to see you enjoy the game at your age. I hope I will enjoy playing games when I have your age.

• Yorky65
    Original poster 19 posts

@hier0nimus Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I am currently playing a game with those points in mind and securing my base before moving on. In my current game I see that The AI player has oil/locos etc while I have yet to sail to the new world. Never-mind for what I do have feels secure and slowly slowly seems to be the best case of action for me.
    I have learnt how to build-up the capacity of the Main Warehouse and have stocks of most items in the 500 range and by viewing what I have allows me to know which items I need to increase before moving on.
    I think ANNO 1800 and the earlier games must be among the best to maintain and perhaps improve the memory and a real good exercise for the older player.
    Thank you and my regards.
    Yorky65

• QuickQuery
    1 posts

@Ubi-Thorlof Alternatively addition of an active pause could help a lot, as it allows to check the situation without having to worry. Personally I don't play the game at all for that reason and there is a lot of people who didn't buy the game because of that

• Asterix201252
    382 posts

@QuickQuery

An active pause would indeed help a lot. People (including me) have been asking for it almost ever since the game launched, and especially after Cape Trelawney and other subsequent regions were added. The devs have said that it won't be introduced, which is a shame. At least part of the reasoning was that it would need a fundamental change to the software to implement it, which was outside the scope of the work effort for DLCs. Some people suggested a super-slow speed as an alternative (say 1/64). The devs partly implemented this, by adding a 1/2 speed, but not the super-slow speed.

This is still one of the things that I would like to see included in the last DLC.

Suggested Topics