ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• GanarothLes
    Original poster 30 posts

I am aware that there is a different thread about this topic, but that one has evolved into a discussion of "worthiness" and whether some players "deserve" to succeed or not.

I have my own opinions on those matters, but that's not the point. I would simply like to say that I do believe that the difficulty of the challenges is pitched too high. When so many players are having issues with a new feature, it's at least worth considering that the problem may not be with the players, but with the features. There are many reason why being unable to progress further would be unpleasant. For myself, I am autistic. I find it difficult to interact verbally, and can only communicate effectively while typing. More importantly, I find incompletable tasks to be very distressing. For myself, it's near the point that I simply cannot log on anymore because seeing that number and knowing that I can't achieve it is almost physically painful. The presence of these challenges, in their current form, makes the entire game very difficult to enjoy at all, not just the challenge portion of it.

These are not things most people think about. I'm aware of that too. But there is a certain percentage of your player base for which the full game has now become less enjoyable, and I think that needs to be said, in case you folk at Ubisoft aren't aware.

I do not assume you don't care. I don't assume that you are lazy, or thoughtless, or any of the other myriad talking points. I genuinely believe that, for better or worse, you are doing your best in a high stress environment. Rather, I believe that you've made a misstep, and accidentally marginalized people like me, or people with other native problems that make this level of difficulty problematic. I do wonder, for instance, how a player with more limited manual dexterity due to injury or condition would feel while attempting these challenges and being unable to achieve even bronze. It doesn't take much disability to make that impossible right now.

I would appreciate it if these issues were at least discussed by the relevant teams, in the interest of making this game inclusive to people with physical and mental disabilities.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• XBL_Laberbacke
    569 posts

You don't even have to bring up disabilities with the mastery challenges. It's enough to say "this mode ignores the player-set difficulty".

It reminds me of the first Race Driver GRID (2008). A game I never finished because up to the last race you could set it as hard or easy as you wanted, and for some reason they decided the "boss fight" can only be played one way, brutally difficult without rewinds (which were a selling point for that game).

In short, I didn't get far into the mastery stuff either, getting locked out of story and rewards. In a single player game. I'm not competing with anyone here and yet the game doesn't let me play the way I want.

• GanarothLes
    Original poster 30 posts

@XBL_Laberbacke

I actually do think that I need to bring up disabilities, since it's a separate issue from simply disliking the level of difficulty. I'm speaking of people who are physically or mentally literally unable to take part in this activity because it is pitched as difficult as it is.

I actually do happen to agree with your argument, but it's a different argument with the same cause.

Edit: A slightly more lengthy explanation. It isn't about being frustrated, or wanting a smoother playing experience. When I see this number, I get headaches. Earlier I vomited after seeing it. My heart races, and I break into cold sweats, and become disoriented. These are involuntary responses with a medical origin. Autism tends to not be pretty, and it's very resistant to treatment. And this isn't even talking about people whose hands lack full range of motion, or who have other issues with play that are more than just about what they like and what they find frustrating. I felt that people like me, and like them, should at least comment about the way in which we are specifically affected. And I think that providing Ubisoft with as many different valid reasons why this level inaccessibility isn't a good thing as possible will increase the chances that Ubisoft listens.

• AnimusLover
    321 posts

Hi there, OP, I think you're conflating difficulty with accessibility which are not always the same thing, especially when you start getting into physical abilities. A difficulty slider is useless to a visually impaired person, for instance. Ubisoft has made strides in this area but Naughty Dog really set the bar with The Last of Us Part 2 when it comes to accessibility.

I'm really trying to keep an open mind and see your point of view but the issue I am having is that you say that your particular autism makes incomplete tasks distressing - which I understand - but what is achievable will be different for different people. So a difficulty level that's comfortable for you may still be challenging for someone else with similar accessibility needs, so how is Ubisoft supposed to tune that? The whole thing just snowballs. From what you've said, it seems like something you need to talk to your doctor about, if anything, or maybe you should get somebody, perhaps a family member or friend, to support you while playing?

• Skauron
    18 posts

The timed bear one with all the stalagmites proved to be a nightmare one for me,, the one that gives you 2 mins 30 seconds in order to kill all the enemies. That was a nightmare enough for me so anyone who has any extra things hampering their ability i can well understand them getting very frustrated with it.. to the point of them not bothering to try to continue.

• OdyssOne24
    16 posts

They are too difficult for everybody, I think.
    There should be a way to get gold without much difficulty.

Suggested Topics