ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sway277
    Original poster 11 posts

This stupid ******* rainbow bear with an ice cream cone on it’s head proves it. Like, honestly, are you poking fun at us, or yourselves with that?

Assassins Creed, I’ve said for ages, is the closest thing we have in this world to time travel. You guys make these awesome, huge worlds for us, and I’m pretty sure that a lot of your audience loves this series because of how much it feels like really being there. I didn’t love when you started mixing in magic and flame weapons, and I don’t understand why someone would want to ride around on the unicorn ship or on a ghost deer, but to each their own, and it’s fine that you provide that stuff for the people who want it, but you aren’t providing any content for those of us that want more of the realism and less of the laser birds and mechanical lions. And I’ve gotta think I’m not alone here considering the type of game this is. Since Valhalla has been released, there have been 2 horses that were modelled differently than the vanilla in-game horses, and they were both available since close to the beginning, “Dubh Sainglend” and “Gypsy”. I also thought the “Tribal Stallion” was pretty cool, but again, that’s just a vanilla horse with a different skin. Since then there’s been absolutely nothing that caters to the audience I’m part of, and I’m pretty sure it’s not a small group. It’s not just the mounts and the ravens either, the armour and weapons too, there’s no new content that is any way grounded in reality.

You don’t have to stop making rainbow polar bears, (you should), just stop neglecting such a large part of your audience, please.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TheNorfolkian
    1657 posts

@sway277 Your argument about different mounts adds to the long-standing issue @SpirantCrayon22 has explored by noting the increasing amount of tattoos and settlement decorations that ‘water-down’ the offerings from Reda and serve as fluff for the Helix Store packs. Here is recent example from this week’s weekly refresh.

• Sway277
    Original poster 11 posts

@thenorfolkian I don’t even care if they want to put them in the store, it’d just be nice if they got around to releasing some content that is both cool looking and belongs in the world. Like, who was it at Ubisoft who thought that any time or energy should be spent making MULTIPLE different tattoos of their logo? Who wants their Viking running around with “UBISOFT” on their back?? Why does every single new piece of content have to look like it came from a fever dream, instead of from the time period the game is actually set in?? That Shinobi pack? Why would I want my Viking riding around on a glowing blue fox with 3 tails, dressed like a demon samurai? You guys can keep releasing that stuff, but mix in some stuff for folks like me, please, I’m begging you

• SpirantCrayon22
    2110 posts

I tend to agree with the sense of this. Fine to have these oddities in Asgard or whatever, makes complete sense to have fantastical stuff there in fact. But the bulk of the game is 9th century England. What is available is superb but I'd definitely be interested to see more such superb offerings.

Regarding frequency of items in Reda's Rubbish, tattoos and such do water-down the availability of weapons and armour but not disproportionately, it's just they're there at all that causes the issue. The stuff below is a bit nerdy and actually doesn't matter - the set-up is awful whatever way it's viewed.

The data show that, if a settlement tree is the "standard", weapons appear 50% more often than they should. Put another way, there have been 35 trees on offer. The theme sets have two weapons (as opposed to one tree) so we'd expect them to have featured 70 times. Actually we've seen 105. Companions are 24% more likely than trees, armour 15%, tattoos 6%, other settlement decorations 2% and ship items 2% less likely. This analysis does not take into account extras such as the weapon packs, that skews things in the way that we see, there are simply more weapons from which to choose.

• XBL_Laberbacke
    572 posts

@sway277 Isn't the answer obvious? (Aside from the Ubi logos that are free, and I doubt they prevented any employee from doing something else for long), the stuff sells or they wouldn't do it. There seems to be a market for gear that clashes with the items you can get by just playing and the rest of the game world. Blame the people who are into it.

I don't think many people would spend real money on, let's say, "bland" clothes and weapons. Making such packs and the projected income would not justify the labour costs. Just look at the jomsvikings for hire standing around and what players put on them. They don't even see them in their own game (unless called to modify), but it sends a message to the person getting that character in their world: "Look what I can afford!"

• Sway277
    Original poster 11 posts

@xbl_laberbacke Yep, and ice-cream bear was free too. The only point I’m trying to make is, I’d love to see some of these packs they’ve been releasing look like they belong on a Viking. They don’t have to be bland, you can make armour sets and weapons that are fantastical that still play to the world the game is set in, and I just figured that after releasing those first two horses, another one or two might have been slipped in there a little later on. Certainly would have made more sense than that STUPID ice cream polar bear.

That’s really what this whole post is about. That bear made me really angry.

I get that they just released that expansion pack, so things are going to be geared towards that for a while. I don’t enjoy the otherworldly stuff in AC these days, and I definitely won’t be buying this new one, especially since I have a season ticket which somehow doesn’t apply to this expansion pack. I’m still on my first playthrough of the game, nearly done, and I still haven’t gone back to the seer to finish her missions after playing about 20m of it when it first appeared. I doubt that I’m alone, but respect that others enjoy what they’re releasing too. That bear just felt like an insult. 😏

Also, I don’t know why you and I are perceiving this differently, but I’d say most of the Jomsvikings I see aren’t wearing the glowing magic-style armour. Some are, definitely, but I’d say the majority don’t. I think the reason for this (if I’m right, and maybe I’m not), is that more people don’t want to have a glowing other-worldly demon warrior sitting on their ship and going on raids with them, because you actually do see your lieutenant fairly often. Shrug. As I said, I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure.

• AORUS2017
    276 posts

@xbl_laberbacke

If gamers like me who want to spend their real money on the gear & weapon packs in game that's our choice, because you don't agree with microtransactions. Ubisoft is Game company business.

@sway277
    The reason why we have multi packs on gear & weapons also animals is a choice for all players on Valhalla because you don't agree that's your problem not Ubisoft

• SpirantCrayon22
    2110 posts

@aorus2017

I think you misunderstand the original post. There is no complaint about anyone buying anything, it's simply that there is a lack of historically-realistic stuff to buy.

There's interpretation of the whys and wherefores of Ubisoft releasing the things that they do release but whatever way you look at it, there definitely is a deficiency of realistic items.

• AORUS2017
    276 posts

@spirantcrayon22

this isn't realistic game and I wasn't talking about  Sway277  first post, I was talking about his 3rd post and I was replying to XBL_Laberbacke post  "but it sends a message to the person getting that character in their world: "Look what I can afford!"

• Skauron
    18 posts

If i see items that are plainly ridiculous, i tend to just ignore them. Whilst it will never be something i change my mount to, or decorate my settlement with etc, I bet there is people playing for who that is the best thing they have. While it makes their character/settlement frankly silly looking, it never displays in MY game, so for this reason i'm not bothered in the slightest by it.

Once i'd got my armour(s)/weapon(s) of my choice i concentrated on that gear and got used to how it affected my combat/defence and then after this collecting armour/weapons was more of an exercise in collecting/clearing map locations than it was 'want or need'.

The only interface other players get to my game is either by the purely random chance of a photo being seen on a community photo on their map.. or if they get my jomsviking show up in their game ... if they see my jomsviking they'll be in a for a treat compared to all the ones that have truly ugly armour on. However if i dressed him in unrealistic and un-vikinglike armour, i'd expect someone to just ring the bell til a better selection came up.

• Sway277
    Original poster 11 posts

@aorus2017 Up until Origins this franchise was, for the most part, quite realistic, and anything that wasn’t was more a situation of suspension of disbelief rather than mythological or fantasy. I’ve liked Assassin’s Creed in both it’s old form, (Assassins Creed through Assassins Creed Syndicate), and what it’s become, (Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla). If I could walk into Ubisoft and make them do exactly what I wanted I would keep the new gameplay but drop all the magic junk because I think it makes zero sense to have it in there, given what the world of Assassins Creed is supposed to be, (a recreation of a genetic memory from a real person who lived in the real world). I can’t do that though, so I’m using my only outlet to complain about this stuff, forums. I also believe that a lot of people feel like I do, given the success of the first 9 releases, and I highly doubt that adding all the magic junk was something that was brought about by overwhelming demand from the fan base, since it runs counter to the idea of playing in a historical simulation. If I want it changed, all I can do is write about it here and hope Ubisoft actually reads their own forums.

I’m also definitely not complaining about micro transactions, I’m just pointing out that Ubisoft, having built this big fan base that enjoys the historical simulations they make, may want to cater to the group that enjoys the historically accurate stuff, just as much as they cater to the people who enjoy the more fantastical items they release. I also wanted someone at Ubisoft to know how revolting I found the purple ice cream bear mount to be, because it truly looks like the winner of a “design the most ridiculous thing you can think of” contest. I just wish that, instead of designing that bear, which is something like the 20th, I’ll call them “fantasy” mounts, couldn’t they have designed another unique horse? By “unique”, I mean one that’s modelled differently than the vanilla horses, not just one with a different skin. They made 2, right at the beginning of the game, that were like this, and I was really happy to find them in there, I figured they would release more of them, but so far I’ve been disappointed on that front.

Ubisoft has built, over the last 15 years, a huge fan base, that loves playing in the amazing, historically accurate, (for the most part), worlds that they’ve created for us. I just feel like lately they’ve lost sight of what a lot of us like about them. 🎻(LoL)

• GameGuru2018
    311 posts

It says something.

There must be something more than "historic accuracy" and realism in the game.
    People want to escape from reality. From boredom.
    They don't want to be pushed from present-day boredom to medieval boredom, for instance.

People want something more than reality!

Think about it.

• SpirantCrayon22
    2110 posts

@gameguru2018

again, the point is not that there is magic and stuff, no-one is actually complaining about that

the op, and me, share the view that we like to use realistic stuff in the game rather than fantasy stuff; the issue is that after release the more realistic sets have been lacking

the Unibear is a bit mad, even when used in Asgardland

• GameGuru2018
    311 posts
    @gameguru2018

again, the point is not that there is magic and stuff, no-one is actually complaining about that.......

.... we like to use realistic stuff in the game rather than fantasy stuff;

Contradiction.
    When we say magic stuff we mean in some way - fantasy stuff.

Because it is not proven by science.

Magic.....it means something unrealistic. Not serious.
    Magic is something that can make the game not serious, something that can devalue the game.

Magic is for children.

O.K. Why were people afraid of black magic, in this case?
    Through all its history, in all parts of the world. Even today.

Only superstition?

Why present-day powerful people, in business and authority, use the services of African shamans?
    In the U.S, Europe, Asia.....They pay them a really Big Money.
    The whole african village can live on this money for years.

If something works - it works.
    Science can't explain it exactly, yet. How it works, what are the forces behind it.
    But people experienced it on their own skin.
    They were afraid for a reason.

They were afraid of witches for a reason.

The game should use that surrealism and mysticism.
    It will make the game richer.
    At least, in terms of gameplay.

The most important - Artistic Taste.
    Not overdo it.
    The main thing is to make it believable and authentic.

To make it authentic and immersive developers should be in theme, themselves.
    They must be interested in the subject. Read about it and gather information.

Just remember how good it was done in the "Witcher 3".
    All those rituals......
    You see it right away - Sapkowski knows it. He was interested in the subject.

Every Assassin's Creed, every new setting, opens new opportunity for using the supernatural in the game.
    All is needed - to make it authentic to specific setting.
    To make it believable.

"WHO KNOWS?!"

• Sedkijez
    28 posts

@spirantcrayon22 the unibear is dumb, I agree, but how many versions of furs and leather pants can u release in the helix store? You don’t like the ‘fantasy stuff’….then wear the berserker outfit or the Raven Clan stuff and shut up! You ‘Viking purists’ need to get a life, you have no idea what Vikings were wearing in the 9th century and neither do the experts. This…..is……a……GAME!

let me guess, your idea of ‘real Vikings’ is the Vikings tv series? Lol!

• SpirantCrayon22
    2110 posts

@sedkijez

There is no need to take that approach, it's the beginning of an unpleasant interaction that is neither needed nor wanted.

• Sedkijez
    28 posts

@spirantcrayon22 yep, my post was maybe a bit more nasty than it needed to be. A tiny tiny bit. The point was; most people don’t expect AC games or, frankly, any game to be historically accurate. I truly don’t think Ubisoft advertised that this was historically accurate. I truly don’t think any outfit or mount or weapon was historically accurate in any AC game….well maybe a few. There are many examples of this from just about every AC game ever made.

These games are fantasy! I hate the unibear just like the op. But if you want un-dyed homespun and leathers and furs, then use the transmog feature to change it all to the Beserker outfit or the Raven Clan outfit. There aren’t that many variations on ‘authentic’ Viking garb. Most were probably wearing the rags you start the game with! Transmog to that….or just wear the rags if you think it would be more ‘realistic’.

Unfortunately you and the op are in the minority….plus, what you want, looks like crap and ALMOST nobody will buy it. Sorry if you feel what I have to say is antagonistic…but what a ridiculous thing to cry about!

• GameGuru2018
    311 posts

......let me guess, your idea of ‘real Vikings’ is the Vikings tv series? Lol!

People want something more dark and scary.
    Something that will give them goosebumps.

Even bears.....

Or something unusual.
    Extraordinary.

Like an anomaly.

As for Vikings series......

It was not bad. It was even good.
    Series that increased interest in the Vikings, making them more alive.

We can only say thanks to this series. But not laugh.

Even regarding to the next Assassin's Creed Rift, as rumors say, how respectful was muslim culture shown, in the series.
    That Floki scene in the mosque....

Assassin's Creed should also do it with respect.
    In the next Middle East game, vikings, one or several, can appear in the game as well.

Assassin's Creed should introduce people to the culture of the Middle East.
    Breaking all the prejudices and negativity.
    The same as Vikings series did in relation to the vikings.

Who are the Sunnis? Who are the Shiites? Why is it so?
    Many other aspects.

Middle East Assassin Creed shouldn't forget about Sufis.
    No wonder they say - Sufis are the heart of Islam.
    With their meditation, ego melting, merging with the Universe.

One of the viking with Basim could also take part in such a meditation.
    Runing in a circle with other local warriors he could remember and sing, in his own way, of Odin.

He could feel the common unity. All religions are the one - in their essence.
    He could feel the unity with warriors going to battle, to possible death.

Something like this.
    (It was made during the real war.)

The same as Viking series and Valhalla treated with respect vikings' culture, the same AC Rift must treat muslim culture and its people.
    In a bundle, so different, they combine very well together.

So, I think we shouldn't underestimate or humiliate Vikings series.

• Sedkijez
    28 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Sedkijez
    28 posts
    This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics