ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ArgimonEd
    Original poster 193 posts

Don't know if anyone already published this from am American/English speaking source.
    But a news article from an Brazilian website said that an inside source from ubisoft told bloomberg and kotaku that 3 of the biggest franchises are undergoing problems and the company continues to lose market value.

https://www.gamevicio.com/noticias/2022/04/novos-jogos-das-franquias-assassin-s-creed-far-cry-e-ghost-recon-podem-estar-passando-por-problemas/: (https://gamevicio.com/noticias/2022/04/novos-jogos-das-franquias-assassin-s-creed-far-cry-e-ghost-recon-podem-estar-passando-por-problemas)

It confirmed that GR, AC and FC will continue down the GAAS route and the games have completely lost touch with their identity.
    Contrary to that announcement made saying that games would return to each having their original characteristics.

If this is really true, I don't expect good things from the next installment of the series and will probably be more of the same (BP)

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

Well, can I raise my hand now or still too soon LOL.

That video that MikeWeeks posted yesterday I think also mentioned some of it. But seriously folks, we have to ask ourselves, who's fault is it? I said it before but at the end of the day, the Franchise has already died if what we will get next is another BP game. Will it hurt me? of course it will but I have been preparing for this death since WL to be honest so I am just waiting for the official announcement to leave the funeral once and for all.

• ArgimonEd

Ps:
    The anonymous source confirms that FC7, a new mainline GR and a new AC are in development but seriously behind schedule.
    To fill the void they decided to turn the next DLC for Valhalla into its own game, to be something akin to the games of Ezio.

If this is true it's confirmation that project OVER its the next main installment for the series (GR) but it continues following the Game as Service route, and adding more elements that completely lost touch with what we have been requesting.
    All 3 IP's are also also currently lacking someone to oversee the projects and are currently without direction

• ArgimonEd

@fcac-no-moe Yeah, the article also said something that made me realize the source left implied that the higher up's still don't understand why this is happening and the games are not selling.

If this is also true, I don't know how else we as the talking wallets can point to them what we want.
    My previous 2 threads were really self explanatory of what I want to see, and taken by all the feedback we have been giving since WL I suspect others want something akin to that as well.
    Gunplay and customization like Groundbranch in an good open world that takes from WL and actually improve instead of downgrades.

If they can't seem to understand it, I ask myself how, with this level of intelligence they reached the positions of management.
    Unless this is a classic case of wireless phone (You know that game when the first person says to the next in the line: I'm going to buy 2 red apples. And the last person of the classroom says that he was told that: I love yellow lemons.

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

Here's the translated article.

"Despite the vast portfolio of IPs in its possession, Ubisoft has been facing a total drop in its market value (almost 50%), which added to the numerous lawsuits that the publisher has been facing and several internal and financial problems, resulted in a great avalanche of problems. According to a report by Bloomberg and Kotaku, the company is looking to sell itself to resolve these issues.

Among those interested would be private equity firms such as Blackstone Inc. and KKR & Co., which can be counted among the largest financial groups in the world. Discussions with these companies are still in their infancy, but the common opinion is that sooner or later Ubisoft will give up and sell itself to some giant, something expected for late 2022-early 2023.

Kotaku's report also talks about the productive difficulties that Ubisoft would be facing. According to three sources close to the publisher who preferred to remain anonymous, the development of the great new games of Assassin's Creed (Infinity), Far Cry (FC7) and Ghost Recon would be advancing extremely slowly and suffering from a lack of direction and management, a since the three intend to adopt a strong Games-as-a-service (GaaS) formula, escaping the essence of these IP's.

All three games would be behind schedules on internal timelines, an issue that would lead Ubisoft to change some of its plans.

As already leaked last February, the company's management would have decided to turn the next Assassin's Creed Valhalla expansion into a game in its own right, with the sole aim of filling the gap in the release schedule that will be created in the future due to delays in others. games.

Assassin's Creed Rift, this is the codename of this title, would have Basim as the protagonist and would take place in a smaller game world than the ones that inhabit Origins (2017), Odyssey (2018) and Valhalla (2020).

When asked about these matters, Ubisoft declined to comment, only pointing out that it has "a top-notch creative and productive force, with more than 20,000 talents spread around the world, and a portfolio of the most diverse in the market". In other words, it neither confirmed nor denied anything.

• ArgimonEd

@bigrexxx thanks man, the cellphone kind of limits my capabilities of doing this

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@argimoned no poblem

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts
    @ArgimonEd If they can't seem to understand it, I ask myself how, with this level of intelligence they reached the positions of management.
    Unless this is a classic case of wireless phone (You know that game when the first person says to the next in the line: I'm going to buy 2 red apples. And the last person of the classroom says that he was told that: I love yellow lemons.

Nah Ed, it is even simpler than the classic game you mentioned above, it is called Greed, and perhaps even a bit of a power complex thinking that just because they are a Billion Dollar Company they know better than everybody... kinda like the Hollywood actors pretending to know everything about Religion, Politics and everything else in life just because they have money.

• ArgimonEd

@fcac-no-moe I'm kind of greedy, but still don't understand this mentality.
    Exactly because of my greedy nature I tend to pay attention to the things that would give me profit and wouldn't choose things that would shoot me on my feet.
    This is idiotic, and I can't seriously wrap my head around the fact that someone as childish as this could be a successful manager or even in the C positions of a company.
    It's scary, but kind of makes sense when I think about a few reports I've read about the world declining IQ and EQ (Emotional intelligence).

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

@argimoned

I don't know if you are understanding Greed as others or most understand it but I am not one who will argue it or try to explain it to you. To me the word GREED is not a good one less so given to someone like you just because you pay attentions to things that would bring you profit.

Greed to me is someone who steals to get rich w/o caring who he hurts

greed·y
    /ˈɡrēdē/
    undefinedLearn to pronounce
    adjective

1. having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth or power.
    2. "greedy thieves who plundered a defense contractor"

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

I see. A shame. Like I said before, GAAS is only good for F2P games and has no place in games such us GR and FC unless they make them F2P like Warzone. You would think that after all the bashing they received they would pull their head out of their ... and listen to the community but nope, they insist on doing the same mistakes over and over again. And then they wonder why their latest releases are going from one failure to another.

If another company buys them, I hope they change many things at Ubi and especially the interaction with the community, which is currently nonexistent.

PS: After EA / Dice received criticism for making NFS 2015 a GAAS (online only), they learned their lesson and released an update which made the game playable offline and the next installments didn't follow the GAAS model. Even EA which is amongst the worst gaming companies listened to their community, but Ubi here refuses to give us an offline mode despite this being one of the biggest reasons BP failed horribly and pushed many fans away from the franchise.

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@avengergr35 GaaS can be a good thing. It just means that there is supposed to be a steady release of new content, beyond just the first few months or first year.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

GaaS could be a good thing when your priority is create good content, innovate things nobody else has to attract new gamers and NOT when all you are doing is half churning content from others hoping that the mindless will be enough to please your shareholders and the greedy drug addicts you have for bosses.

BP was supposed to be this new GaaS they were testing, even if some here say it wasn't, just like we have heard time and time again that the Studio listened to the community's feedback (again, half truth or half lies... YMMV). But I digress, and you see how well that new content that was supposed to come in with that awesome Road Map in the first year dwindle and died for the second even though most said there was going to be a Y3 because what else they were going to do between now and the new AAA, right?

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@fcac-no-moe Well to be fair, a lot of game development, not just at Ubi, has suffered because of Covid. But their already existing mindset of "more buck for the bang" and lack of proper QA, was only exasperated by working from home.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts
    @fcac-no-moe Well to be fair, a lot of game development, not just at Ubi, has suffered because of Covid. But their already existing mindset of "more buck for the bang" and lack of proper QA, was only exasperated by working from home.

Again, I am not saying you are lying or you are wrong but "CoD MW" (that I know of because I don't play other games) has proven differently by bringing patch after patch, fix after fix, update after update and sometimes even in 1 week when they botched something really bad.

And what was that the Paris Studio brought us? That's right... less than nothing really if we are being realistics and I don't want to waste time with patches 2 to 3 months later even when broken things didn't allow people to play the game, etc... water under the bridge now.

Nah, I have never been nor I will ever be in the mood to give someone a pass when that someone is charging FULL RETAIL PRICE for a less than mediocre and 40% finished product. I don't care if the intentions are good and they promise they will fix it eventually. We are 3 years into it and what have you learn from this fiasco???

• Megalodon-26
    334 posts

@fcac-no-moe Just because the development for CoD wasn't affected by the lockdowns, doesn't mean that other studios weren't. It's just like the virus itself, and doesn't affect everyone equally. Some people merely get symptoms a bad cold or flu, while others with underlying medical conditions, proved fatal in too many cases. So while Infinity Ward was apparently immune, it affected Treyarch and Sledgehammer, because Cold War and especially Vanguard were lacking, the same level of quality. But Ubi as a company, has some undeniable underlying conditions, and Covid has likely forced them onto life support, if the reports of them looking to sell are true.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1273 posts

Again, we will agree to disagree but it doesn't mean much at the end of the day because here we are with no Y3 and no AAA. At least not in the horizon and unless of course we want to continue speculating about it.

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

@bigrexxx GAAS is good for the short term. The game might be updated frequently for a year or two but after they're done with the game, they will shut down the servers. Basically, buying a GAAS game is like renting it for a few years until the company decides to pull the plug and you won't be able to play again. Prime example of this is NBA 2K where once 2 years pass from a game's release, 2K shuts down the servers and you can't play the game ever again. Obviously they are doing this to force you to buy their latest release. This is the biggest reason I refuse to buy GAAS games and only play them if they are F2P.

As for GR being a GAAS, well that didn't work out well for BP. They only released 11 updates in the span of 3 years and only made subtle changes on the server side without even informing us (one example is the "mysterious" buildings they added a few weeks before the Amber Sky update) and most of the times these subtle changes ended up breaking the game even more. COVID is a bad excuse for their inability to provide frequent updates when even smaller companies released frequent updates for their games. I would justify it if their company was just a handful of devs (10-20) but UbiParis alone has close to 1.000 devs if not more.

If they want to continue down the GAAS road then so be it, but when their next games do as bad as EAs BF2042 and Breakpoint, then they should remember how their community tried to warn them and they chose to ignore us.

Suggested Topics